PDA

View Full Version : The real question is who will be the number 2

Patrick76777
03-31-2006, 10:16 AM
Duh, Evans is the best guy left. Of course he’ll be number 1. He may have been number one even if Moulds stayed!

The big race is between

Josh “Drops” Reed
Roscoe “4 games in a cast” Parrish
Andre “4 teams in 3 years” Davis

Look out!

If I was game planning, I’d throw 3 guys on Evans!

No wonder why Marv wanted to keep Moulds.

OpIv37
03-31-2006, 10:22 AM
For the money Reed's making, he should be the #2. Whether he's up to it or not is another story.

I still say Parrish is too small- he might be able to step up if he puts on some muscle in the off-season.

There is always a chance that Davis or Aiken could step up.

And MAYBE, just MAYBE- Royal or Everett could step up receiving from the TE position and open up the field for hese other guys.

mayotm
03-31-2006, 10:22 AM
Reed will likely be the #2 with Parrish as the #3. We didn't get to see much of Parrish last year because of his injury. However, I thought he showed some flashes as a good slot receiver and returner at the end of the year. He is extremely shifty in the open field. Also, he was having a great training camp last year prior to his injury.

Patti120
03-31-2006, 10:35 AM
I heard that Mark Kelso might be the next #2 because he always had a "knack for the ball"

BillsNick
03-31-2006, 10:36 AM
Roscoe is going to be good

OpIv37
03-31-2006, 10:43 AM
Roscoe is going to be good

so far I'm not convinced.

LifetimeBillsFan
03-31-2006, 02:11 PM
If he can stay healthy--and that is a HUGE IF based on his past history--it would not surprise me to see Andre Davis emerge as the # 2 WR this season.

I know Davis has a chequered past, but IMHO it is no more chequered than Reed's performance has been and, when healthy, Davis brings something to the table that Reed does not: real "home-run " threat speed and striking ability. Davis can "take it to the house" as well or better than Lee Evans when he is healthy.

There are two problems with Davis that have kept him from becoming the top-flight WR that he was projected to be: his health, something that Reed has a huge advantge over him in, and his hands, which is a problem he shares with Reed.

Davis came out of an unsophisticated passing offense at Va. Tech where he didn't have to learn to run a lot of different routes or develop reliable hands--all he had to do was keep running deep patterns and catch a couple of bombs from Mike Vick every game and that was it. Like Antonio Freeman and some other Va.Tech WRs, Davis was raw when he came into the NFL and had a lot to learn--and Cleveland, with Tim Couch and K.Holcomb at QB, Butch Davis as HC and Dennis Northcutt as the only other credible wide out was hardly the place for him to develop quickly. Still, Davis showed that he could still run by DBs at the pro level--as evidenced by the fact that he has, I believe, a 98-99 yard TD catch and several other long receptions to his credit. But, his hands, especially at the outset, have been suspect. Both his route running and his hands looked to be considerably improved just before his last full season in Cleveland two years ago, but by then he had been hit with the injury-bug and had a bad toe that he ultimately had to have surgery on. With Butch Davis gone, Antonio Bryant and, then, Braylon Edwards on-board to assume Davis' role in the offense, Cleveland decided to cut Davis loose--much in the way that they are likely to eventually cut Lee Suggs loose.

I don't know what it is with the field in Cleveland, but they seem to have had an inordinate number of serious foot and toe injuries to their players that have taken a lot of time to heal. Davis' turf toe injury--which is actually a severe sprain of the big toe--got so bad that he eventually had to have surgery, which led to his release from the Browns and limited him at the begining of last season. The question is whether it has fully healed to the point where he has regained his speed and can avoid reinjuring it. He says that it has and that he is running freely again. If so, he is a big, 4.3 40 yard dash fast receiver who has shown that he can stretch the field as well as Evans has. As T.Holt and I.Bruce have shown for the Rams, that can pose major headaches for opposing defenses.

If Davis is really fully healthy, the only question with him would be whether he has gotten to the point where he can run the shorter routes and catch the ball consistently. Josh Reed does not have Davis' speed, but he has shown that he can get open on the short routes, especially out of the slot. And, Reed has shown improved hands this past season. It is hard to say whether Davis' hands have improved enough to match Reed in consistency because they were both used in different capacities last year and Davis wasn't asked to run short routes or catch the ball a lot--even the Patriots basically used him to run fly patterns and didn't throw to him that much. As much as I liked Josh Reed in college and think that he can be a good possession receiver, despite all of the hype about Reed being able to get a lot of yards after the catch, he really hasn't show the ability to run away from or over NFL DBs and IMHO will never be the kind of TD threat that Davis is when healthy. Also, while a lot of the attention focused on Reed's inability to catch the ball when he did have the chance to be a starter a couple of years ago, he also seemed to have a lot more trouble getting open against starting DBs than he did when playing in the slot against nickle-backs.

While it is likely IMHO that the Bills will use Reed and Davis situationally on the outside--with Reed playing more in possession situations and Davis being used to stretch the field for the running game and underneath receivers in other situations--it is also possible that the Bills will put Davis on the outside and continue to use Reed in the slot in most passing situations unless Roscoe Parrish can beat Reed out for the primary slot receiver position. I think a lot will come down to what these receivers are able to show in mini-camps and training camp. Personally, I think that will be a very close competition between Reed, Davis and Parrish--all of whom bring something very different to the table. Still, it wouldn't surprise me to see Davis emerge as the starter opposite Lee Evans, especially if the passing game has any resemblance to the Rams' passing attack.

Mr. Miyagi
03-31-2006, 02:18 PM
Someone gives me a Cliff Notes version.

ICE74129
03-31-2006, 02:23 PM
Davis will shock in camp and be #2

LifetimeBillsFan
03-31-2006, 03:21 PM
Thanks, ICE! Good one line summary.

BillsNick
03-31-2006, 03:26 PM
Davis will shock in camp and be #2

I really doubt that.....a lot......

RedEyE
03-31-2006, 04:00 PM
Someone gives me a Cliff Notes version.

:rofl:

RedEyE
03-31-2006, 04:01 PM
All I know is it won't be Clay er..Sam Aiken

Mr. Miyagi
03-31-2006, 04:04 PM
I doubt it'll be Josh Reed either. He's had too many chances already.

Mski
03-31-2006, 05:48 PM
they're going to convert vincent from db to wide out and he will win the #1 spot for nall to through the ball to!

Jan Reimers
03-31-2006, 07:22 PM
Parrish will be number 2 to Evans' number 1. Roscoe is a lighting fast, elusive receiver with fairly good hands.

I simply don't understand the concerns that many people have about his size. He's almost the same height and weight as Santana Moss and several other big time NFL receivers. In fact, with a little bulking up, he will weigh about the same as Marvin Harrison.

A fast, skilled receiver doesn't take anywhere near the punishment that an every down, 25 carries a game running back takes.

Let's all stop worrying about Roscoes' size and start enjoying his 100 recepton (that's 5 to 7 catches per game) seasons.

Mski
03-31-2006, 07:27 PM
Parrish will be number 2 to Evans' number 1. Roscoe is a lighting fast, elusive receiver with fairly good hands.

I simply don't understand the concerns that many people have about his size. He's almost the same height and weight as Santana Moss and several other big time NFL receivers. In fact, with a little bulking up, he will weigh about the same as Marvin Harrison.

A fast, skilled receiver doesn't take anywhere near the punishment that an every down, 25 carries a game running back takes.

Let's all stop worrying about Roscoes' size and start enjoying his 100 recepton (that's 5 to 7 catches per game) seasons.

roscoe may be the same height but he is atleast 15lbs lighter then moss i've seen moss listed anywhere between 185-190 lbs

Bill Cody
03-31-2006, 07:55 PM
If he can stay healthy--and that is a HUGE IF based on his past history--it would not surprise me to see Andre Davis emerge as the # 2 WR this season.

Just wondering, if someone asks you what time it is, do you give them the history of watch making?:;

Philagape
03-31-2006, 08:03 PM
One of them will end up No. 2 by default (barring another one coming in), but I don't believe in any of them, at least not this year. They're all decent No. 3s

Marvelous
03-31-2006, 08:38 PM
That's a lil harsh on our WR's Pat. Reed showed signs of clutch at points in the latter but he also dropped some too. IMO he still has upside. Parrrish too showed good things. I dunno nothing about Davis except he caught a really deep bomb in a Pats game last year.. We are down the kind of WR that will take some pressure off Evans like you said. And a rookie won't do that.. Matters little since we are in for a long season. Maybe a rookie or the guys progression this season will make us prepared for the next season. :( :( :( Javon?

Billsrock4life
03-31-2006, 10:56 PM
i'd keep him as a slot reciver because of his speed and like others have said hes not very big