PDA

View Full Version : Highest/ Lowest point as a Bills fan

don137
03-31-2006, 12:21 PM
I understand football is just a game and there is a lot more things more important than footbal. However as a Bills fan what is your highest and lowest point as a Bills fan?

My highest point was when they beat the Raiders 51-3. I thought for sure this team had the making of a dynasty and were going to beat the Giants in Super Bowl XXV.

My lowest is close between Norwood's "wide right" and the current state of the Bills. I would have to say the current state of the Bills wins because its been 6 years since they made the playoffs and the re-building of the team does not seem to be right around the corner.

Mr. Miyagi
03-31-2006, 12:29 PM
I think "Wide Right" has to be the King of low points for every Bills fan.

Besides that though, Music City Miracle was way down there for me too.

High point was The Comeback Game.

Patrick76777
03-31-2006, 12:40 PM

High point was the comeback. I was there, it was crazy! Unreal.

My low point (and mind you, I'm 29 so I missed the 70's and as a kid didn't really know what was going on in the early 80's) is a tie between the New England Sunday night game in 2004. I was really ready to blow everything up that night. I thought there would never be hope again. Then they pumped off 6 straight.

the other one was the Loss to the Browns in the playoffs in 89. Remember, I was very young and that one killed me.

EDS
03-31-2006, 12:47 PM

Agreed. That 51-3 playoff win also comes to mind (am I remembering that correctly - Raiders?)

OpIv37
03-31-2006, 12:53 PM
Highest point for me was the last AFC Championship game (against the Chiefs). cuz I was there. The comeback game is a close second.

The lowest point is, without a doubt, the Music City Mirage. Wide Right hurt more at the time, but the Titans game was a very clear starting point for the state the team is currently in.

A few other highs: the 51-3 game, when Flutie beat Jacksonville by running into the endzone on the last play of the game (I was there), the 31-0 drubbing of the Pats at the beginning of 03.

And lows: the Pitt game at the end of 04 (I was there), the last 14 games of 03, blowing the 21 point lead against the Fish in 05.

Dr. Lecter
03-31-2006, 12:56 PM
I understand football is just a game and there is a lot more things more important than footbal. However as a Bills fan what is your highest and lowest point as a Bills fan?

My highest point was when they beat the Raiders 51-3. I thought for sure this team had the making of a dynasty and were going to beat the Giants in Super Bowl XXV.

My lowest is close between Norwood's "wide right" and the current state of the Bills. I would have to say the current state of the Bills wins because its been 6 years since they made the playoffs and the re-building of the team does not seem to be right around the corner.

Anybody who says the 'current state of the Bills' is clearly too young to remember the early/mid eighties during the Chuck Knox-Marv Levy gap.

Coaches: Kay Stephenson and Hank Bullough (who made Mularkey and Williams look like Lombardi). QB's - Ferragamo, Mathison, Dufek. Really ugly. Back to back 2-14 seasons, followed by a 4-12 season. Those teams were horrible.

My high point was sigining Jim Kelly. A reported for a local radio station went to the press conference took a teenage Dr. to press conference intorducing Jimbo to Buffalo. Mario Cuomo called him to welcome him. The feeling of magic and something special could not be missed. It was a moment I'll never forget.

Dr. Lecter
03-31-2006, 12:58 PM
Highest point for me was the last AFC Championship game (against the Chiefs). cuz I was there. The comeback game is a close second.

The lowest point is, without a doubt, the Music City Mirage. Wide Right hurt more at the time, but the Titans game was a very clear starting point for the state the team is currently in.

A few other highs: the 51-3 game, when Flutie beat Jacksonville by running into the endzone on the last play of the game (I was there), the 31-0 drubbing of the Pats at the beginning of 03.

And lows: the Pitt game at the end of 04 (I was there), the last 14 games of 03, blowing the 21 point lead against the Fish in 05.

I almost forgot about the KC game. Great game to be at. A roommate was a huge Montana fan, so that made it even better. And the Pats game was special.

Meathead
03-31-2006, 01:13 PM
high point: 51-3

low point: this thread

Dr. Lecter
03-31-2006, 01:18 PM
I almost forgot in the low point:

Meathead rode with me to two games this year.

Jeff1220
03-31-2006, 01:29 PM
51-3 was an unreal game - even more so because I was there in our original season seats - the scoreboard endzone (upper), and about 15 at the time. The Comeback was maybe more amazing to experience in person that 51-3, but lacked the significance, since it was a WC game.

The lowest I felt was probably, in some ways, each post-Super Bowl Monday 1991-1994.
Ronnie Harmon dropping the ball in the end zone was pretty brutal too.

Mr. Miyagi
03-31-2006, 01:39 PM
Another high point for me was the second game in the 2003 (?) season, Bills at Vikings, with Hollis doinking that FG to send the game to OT, and Price catching the TD pass to win the game.

I was there with 100 other Bills fans. :up::up:

MTBillsFan
03-31-2006, 01:44 PM
51-3 High point...I was 10 years old. Low Point Andre, Bruce and Thurman being let go on the same day.

don137
03-31-2006, 01:54 PM
Anybody who says the 'current state of the Bills' is clearly too young to remember the early/mid eighties during the Chuck Knox-Marv Levy gap.

Coaches: Kay Stephenson and Hank Bullough (who made Mularkey and Williams look like Lombardi). QB's - Ferragamo, Mathison, Dufek. Really ugly. Back to back 2-14 seasons, followed by a 4-12 season. Those teams were horrible.

My high point was sigining Jim Kelly. A reported for a local radio station went to the press conference took a teenage Dr. to press conference intorducing Jimbo to Buffalo. Mario Cuomo called him to welcome him. The feeling of magic and something special could not be missed. It was a moment I'll never forget.
No, I am 37 and I remember the mid-80s very well. The difference between then and now is years since a playoff appearance. I have no problem with re-building a franchise. I think its smart for Marv to rebuild however to have to re-build after not making the playoffs six years in a row is tough. While I wish Marv was able to sign better FA talent I just hope they don't just waste the extra cap space.

FlyingDutchman
03-31-2006, 02:14 PM
One of my high points was when I was really young. I remember Fred Smerlas blocking a field goal against the Jets to win the AFC East championship. I was really young and that was the first great moment I can remember. The fans stormed the field and tore down the goal post. The Ronnie Harmon drop was pretty bad, but my answer to the low point as a fan is the obvious...wide right...The other years we were beat by better teams, but that year was ours for the taking. We were the best team in the league that year and had the chance to tee of on the second string quarterback on a team that snuck into the SB. The Bills would be looked at in such a different way today had that kick gone through.

Night Train
03-31-2006, 03:22 PM
Wide Right Will always be the worst ?

The best ? Plenty - All games in person

1. 1974 MNF - Bills 21 Raiders 20. A.Rashad catches the winner with 13 seconds. Fans go absolutely Ape *****t.
2. 1980 - Bills 17 Miami 7 - The 0 for '70's streak is history. Goal post get passed into the upper deck and over into lot 3, where they burn while thousands drink heavily ! A Great day !
3. 1981 MNF - Bills 31 Miami 21 - Joe Cribbs goes in motion and runs the same pattern 3 times, with no one picking him up. Fergy hits him in stride and he takes it in for 3 TD's. Stadium Beer was GONE by halftime !
4. 1990 - Bills 51 Faders 3 - Will always be my favorite. 41-3 at the half and everyone is hammered.
5. 2003 - Bills 31 Pats 0 - It was just one game but the Pats fans by our tailgate were so obnoxious, prior to the game. They sure couldn't take the blatant mocking after the game. :D

HAMMER
03-31-2006, 03:25 PM
High point, Rob Johnson leading us down the field to take the lead in a see saw battle at Tennessee. Low point was ten seconds later when Dyson ran the other way for six to win the game.

Meathead
03-31-2006, 03:32 PM

hey you were the one that just had to stop at mighty taco on the way in

Saratoga Slim
03-31-2006, 03:42 PM
Wide Right is the low point. sucked at the time, but sucks oh so much more because of the SB losses that followed it. after watching the subsequent losses, you gotta look back and realize that Wide Right was our one real chance to win it. Sucked at the time, but sucks even more now, looking back.

High point: hands down the Comeback. I mean, c'mon. Other high points: every single December home win against Miami. Watching the fish shiver makes my heart sing.

Bmax
03-31-2006, 04:24 PM
RAIDERS 51-3-HIGH-TIED WITH BILLS BEATING MIAMI TO BREAK THE STREAK...IN 1980.. Where oh where is Rosey Leaks.....

Low- Third Super Bowl Blow out loss to Dallas....2nd all Those losses to miami...The one where we lost in 1978 i believe sticks out Tom Dempsey misses a late field......

Bmax

Devin
03-31-2006, 04:40 PM
Highpoint - The Comeback

Lowpoint - Music City Miracle a close second is the Fins game last year. We sucked anyway but that was just salt in the wound. The ultimate in poor coaching/poor playing and to the Fins no less.

The_Philster
03-31-2006, 06:33 PM

:ill: I feel your pain

Mski
03-31-2006, 06:41 PM
high point: comeback game!

low point: the F guy that wore #7 ( i refuse to say his name) announced as the starter

Mr. Pink
03-31-2006, 07:00 PM
High point......the entire 1990 season after Marv turning around the Bickering Bills and the K-Gun offense, which started in the Cleveland playoff game as being the normal offense.

Low Point......I have to agree with Mski....F the F guy. Send him back to the lollipop guild!