PDA

View Full Version : Matt Bowen...

xXSpIkes5IXx
03-31-2006, 01:45 PM
Correct me if im wrong, but i was poking around some old NFL depth charts yesterday and Bowen was listed as the starting strong safety for Washington last year?

From what i heard he was a backup/special teams guy

did he lose his starting job?

Kerr
03-31-2006, 01:48 PM
because of injury.

ICE74129
03-31-2006, 02:43 PM
the guy had an outstanding 03 I believe. Hurt in 04. They put someone else in front of him in 05 for awhile. He was a guy they wanted to resign, but we offered him a chance to start.

FlyingDutchman
03-31-2006, 02:46 PM
I could be wrong but he might have been listed as the starter in the beginning of the season bc of Sean Taylors troubles with the law. I think he missed the first couple of games.

LifetimeBillsFan
03-31-2006, 03:27 PM
I could be wrong but he might have been listed as the starter in the beginning of the season bc of Sean Taylors troubles with the law. I think he missed the first couple of games.

That's possible. Bowen's injury opened the door for Ryan Clark who Gregg Williams loves because he is more of an "in-the-box" safety than Bowen who is a better fit in a Cover 2 than in Williams' Titans' 46 Defense. Bowen was considered an up-and-coming guy before his injury and the defensive switch that took place when G.Williams became the DC. He's more than your average back-up/special teams guy....

BillsNick
03-31-2006, 03:42 PM
Career Highlights

Bowen played in 13 games and one postseason game in 2005, serving mostly in a reserve role. He recorded 13 tackles and eight special teams tackles on the season. Bowen started the first five games of the 2004 season but suffered a torn ACL on a special teams play and was sidelined for the remainder of the season. He originally signed with the Redskins as a restricted free agent in 2003 after four seasons with both the St. Louis Rams and Green Bay Packers. In his first season as a Redskin and a full-time starter in 2003, he emerged as a solid playmaker and reliable safety by establishing career-highs in tackles with 94 (73 solo), interceptions with three, and forced fumbles and fumble recoveries with two. In his career, he has appeared in 72 games during his career and has started 30, with four interceptions, 195 tackles (143 solo), four forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries.
NFL Acquisition: Selected by the St. Louis Rams in the sixth round of the 2000 NFL Draft (198th overall).

http://www.redskins.com/team/profile.jsp?id=68

Mr. Miyagi
03-31-2006, 03:57 PM
I didn't even know we signed him! :ill: