PDA

View Full Version : Call me crazy but...

Drive 4 Five
03-31-2006, 10:22 PM
With the defection of Brees to New Orleans, I can definitely see the Chargers in a situation similar to what the Bills experienced this past season.

Phillip Rivers is what he is. A young, inexperienced, unproven player with all of thirty attempts in his NFL career. Worst of all, he is all of these things yet finds himself starting on a championship caliber football team. Can you imagine the pressure and expectations? Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

I don't see it happening. Not by a long shot. I think we are all about to find out that QB's like Roethlisberger and Brady are in fact extremely rare. If you are forced to start a young QB, regardless of how talented your roster may be, you better be prepared for some serious hardship.

Discuss...

acehole
03-31-2006, 10:30 PM
Well they certianly did it the right way.....they have a line a running game, WR's Top TE.......and he has had a while to learn the offense.

Perfect situation for him...they did not put him in to early to save a franchise or shatter his confidence.

Drive 4 Five
03-31-2006, 10:39 PM
What happens when they start losing games early on? You don't think the players on that team are going to be extremely pissed that Brees was let go, when the Chargers had a great opportunity in front of them, and now they are stuck with the west coast version of J.P. Losman (i.e. a young QB with humongous expectations unfairly placed on his shoulders)?

Now I agree that the Chargers are much better off talent wise, but I stand by my claim that they are in for one rude ass awakening about what kind of team they are going to have with their Pro Bowl QB off in New Orleans.

acehole
03-31-2006, 10:44 PM
Sure I agree....but then there is no question if he has it or not....one can say we gave hime a top RB and line and te and WR's and he still could not make it....by game 5 or 6 or 7 you either see hope or Billy JOE Hobert.

Here we though a rookie into a snake pit and said.....now why he get bit!

Drive 4 Five
03-31-2006, 10:59 PM
But the question is ACE, do you think the Chargers pull this off? They are as talented as any team in the league right now and it would be hard to make excuse for Rivers should he fail, but even so, is it fair to call him a bust at that point or just another young QB going through the motions? Because I don't think it is a matter of if, I believe he will fail.

Drive 4 Five
03-31-2006, 11:07 PM
Hell it is a snake pit any way you look at it, regardless of the team, or the circumstances. It is the most crucial and difficult position in all of sports, and the expectations in this era of WIN NOW football are absolutley ****ing ridiculous and unrealistic.

Drive 4 Five
03-31-2006, 11:08 PM
I guess this is my way of trying to explain how stupid it is to be talking about whether Losman's career in Buffalo is over before it has even begun.

Mski
03-31-2006, 11:11 PM
I guess this is my way of trying to explain how stupid it is to be talking about whether Losman's career in Buffalo is over before it has even begun.

:bf1:

Philagape
03-31-2006, 11:33 PM
There's an article about the NFC North on FoxSports.com, and when it talked about the Packers it contains this sentence:

Aaron Rodgers was the first-round pick last year, and even though there's a new regime in the Green Bay front office, they'd be crazy not to at least give Rodgers a chance to prove himself before moving on to the next hot young prospect.

QB who was a first-round pick. New regime. We'd be crazy too to give up on JP and waste all that was invested in him.

acehole
04-01-2006, 01:25 AM
Agree...agree....agree.

Michael82
04-02-2006, 03:54 PM
EXCELLENT POST!!! :bf1:

DraftBoy
04-02-2006, 04:02 PM

No this is more or less making an excuse as to what Losman's career in Buffalo has been to date and telling us to wait to see if it turns around bc it may eventually.

The fact is he is not a rookie he has taken snaps. Stop talking about him like he hasnt played a snap yet. How many first chances can we give one player, before they start counting? He got a pass year 1 bc of injuries (ok I buy into that one), but he gets a pass on year 2 bc he took some minor injuries and he got yanked a few times bc he was preforming badly and therfor it doesnt count? Gimme a break thats a hard pill to swallow.

thatquikguy
04-02-2006, 09:20 PM
Rivers has a bit more promise then Losman though

Jersey1031
04-02-2006, 10:04 PM
Rivers has a bit more promise then Losman though

Why?

Mr. Pink
04-03-2006, 12:59 AM
Why?

Rivers was selected higher in the draft, neither has proved a thing at the NFL level, so therefor, Rivers still has a higher potential ceiling than JP.

Not to say that's how it always works out, but on draft day players are taken on talent level shown at the collegian level and potential.

Drive 4 Five
04-03-2006, 09:58 AM
No this is more or less making an excuse as to what Losman's career in Buffalo has been to date and telling us to wait to see if it turns around bc it may eventually.

The fact is he is not a rookie he has taken snaps. Stop talking about him like he hasnt played a snap yet. How many first chances can we give one player, before they start counting? He got a pass year 1 bc of injuries (ok I buy into that one), but he gets a pass on year 2 bc he took some minor injuries and he got yanked a few times bc he was preforming badly and therfor it doesnt count? Gimme a break thats a hard pill to swallow.

I'm not making excuses for him. Not at all. Last year was essentially his rookie year. You said it yourself. Year one was wasted in rehabilitation. Last year, he performed miserably at times and brilliantly at others. Exactly to be expected of 99% of rookie QB's who have ever played the game at this level. There is no denying that the end statistics compare favorbaly with countless others and even some of the great ones. I never said last year did not count.

If he does not show significant improvement this year, and is unable to win the starting position, then the criticism will be justified. He came at a great cost and he needs to justify the high cost that was paid for him. Until then, the jury is still out. That is hardly making excuses for someone. That is simply being fair. Labeling him a bust (not saying that you did) and spreading rumors that this organization lacks confidence in Losman simply because they are asking him to compete, is not.

Saratoga Slim
04-03-2006, 12:56 PM
say we could trade Rivers straight up for Losman. would you do it?

Mr. Pink
04-03-2006, 01:11 PM
By the way, I can think of three QBs in RD1 in recent memory that teams gave up on after one year...one team being the Bills....Todd Collins-ok he was a 2nd rounder, but was supposed to be Kellys' successor. Jim Druckenmiller-SF....Dan McGwire-Seattle.

Just because you're drafted on day 1 doesn't mean you're going to succeed or always get ample time to prove yourself. Some teams do just cut their losses and move on instead of plodding along in another year of nothingness and mediocrity for no reason.

Do I think JP is any better than those 3? from what he's shown, no. Do I think he's worse? No as well. He's no better nor no worse than any of them jabronis.

Just trying to show that the Bills wouldn't be doing something that wasn't already done before. And that they wouldn't be completely out in left field nor stupid for doing so.