PDA

View Full Version : NFL pulls plug on local TV cameras

The_Philster
04-01-2006, 09:23 PM
NFL players no longer will plow into local TV cameramen on sidelines.

NFL owners this week voted 32-0 to ban sideline television cameras except for those belonging to NFL Films or the network broadcasting each game.
"It is a done deal," said Seth Palansky, NFL director of media services, on Friday. more (http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060401/GPG0101/604010532/1207/GPGnews)

YardRat
04-01-2006, 09:28 PM
Oh THAT'S going to go over real well.

There will still be a plethora of still photogs on the sideline to run over, at least.

Michael82
04-01-2006, 09:40 PM
:down:

lordofgun
04-01-2006, 09:59 PM
Nice April Fools joke, Phil. :down:

Michael82
04-02-2006, 12:39 PM
I heard about this on WGR....this really sucks. :mad:

Another way for the NFL to handle everything themselves, so they can make sure the footage is biased and makes the NFL look good. What this will stop is the times where the local coverage would talk about the fight on the sidelines or about other things to do with an injury or something else that is really big locally.

Michael82
04-02-2006, 12:40 PM
Oh plus, don't forget all the local jobs that the NFL just tosses aside. :ill:

DraftBoy
04-02-2006, 05:52 PM
I think the move is smart from a business prospective and thats why the NFL is the best sport in the world, bc they know how to handle their business.

Personally this doesnt change one thing from me and dont think this is just for small local stations this also affects ESPN from doing it if they arent broadcasting the game, so it hurts networks big and small.

Michael82
04-02-2006, 05:56 PM
I think the NFL is getting a little too cocky. If they have it their way, they will start broadcasting all/most of the games on their Network. They want to control it all. :ill:

The_Philster
04-02-2006, 06:01 PM
I think the NFL is getting a little too cocky. If they have it their way, they will start broadcasting all/most of the games on their Network. They want to control it all. :ill:
That was being speculated when NFL Network came about...that games would start going there. Some already have. However, from a financial standpoint, it would likely hurt them to do so. All that money they get from the networks for broadcast rights would be gone.

Of course then there's advertising fees they could collect. But being a cable station instead of broadcast TV, they wouldn't likely collect as much in advertising as the networks can :scratch:

Dozerdog
04-02-2006, 06:09 PM
Oh plus, don't forget all the local jobs that the NFL just tosses aside. :ill:Uh...Mikey- I don't hink any TV stations are laying off anyone over this.

I'll bet the restrictions on photographers are next.

Two issues-

the sidelines are getting too crowded- player safety, fan views of the sidelines, and some other safety (IE bad guys) issues arise when you have over 100 accredited media on the field at once. It's getting out of control

Second- the NFL wants to control the TV product. Want to use footage? Pay the rights holders and use the game tapes. Plus, you also have issues with profanity, and/or coaches using inapropriate language. It's a PR nightmare if a coach or player says something in the heat of battle and a local camera picks it up and runs with it/spins it wrong.

Dozerdog
04-02-2006, 06:12 PM
That was being speculated when NFL Network came about...that games would start going there. Some already have. However, from a financial standpoint, it would likely hurt them to do so. All that money they get from the networks for broadcast rights would be gone.

Of course then there's advertising fees they could collect. But being a cable station instead of broadcast TV, they wouldn't likely collect as much in advertising as the networks can :scratch:

Trust me, whomever carries trhe games will make money.

The Yankees and Red Sox own their own TV rights and practically print their own money showing their own product - instead of having others bid on it.