PDA

View Full Version : Cottrell a "finalist" for SF job

SoCalBillsFan
02-04-2003, 01:53 PM
He's going back to san fran to interview again. Good for him!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2003/0204/1503826.html

Voltron
02-04-2003, 02:14 PM
It sounds good but this is what will happen for minority coaches for the next 10 years or so. They will constenly get in the final running but will come out with the short end of the stick just as before.

SoCalBillsFan
02-04-2003, 02:42 PM
maybe, but at least this time he is a finalist. THe other times the minority coaches have goten one interview and that's it

Earthquake Enyart
02-04-2003, 02:43 PM
Blache is still in the running too.

I don't think he's that great a coach, but he is a good interview.

OK, the 49ers have 2 minority candidates left. Now they can hire Jim Mora Jr.

justasportsfan
02-04-2003, 03:13 PM
I was hoping they'd hire Norv Turner! This way the fins will go nowhere next year.

WG
02-04-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Voltron
It sounds good but this is what will happen for minority coaches for the next 10 years or so. They will constenly get in the final running but will come out with the short end of the stick just as before.

:rolleyes:

Somehow I just can't see a minority coach that wins a conference championship (or the Super Bowl) "getting the short end of the stick", can you? Heck, even a string of division titles would say something.

How many head coaches last longer than 4 or 5 years w/o putting up some numbers? Not too many.

Many aren't given nearly what some black coaches are given. Riley, Mora, Schottenheimer, Morhinweg, Turner, Fontes, Campo, Phillips, LeBeau, and plenty of others.

Green, Dungy, haven't done didly. I think Lewis and Edwards will.

Here's what TSN had to say about Green:

"Green: True, he has astounded us with some great moves and game plans etc., yet he has consistently done the opposite when the games really mattered. I believe the guy has a terrific eye for talent and getting that talent on the field but he's awful at managing that talent. The guy just can't instill discipline, and that's a major problem going forward. It's also a bad sign when the guy deflects criticism as racially motivated. Hey, Denny why don't you cut the white coaches some slack 'cause they don't get the same out when they get criticized. On the other hand, let's just forget about the whole color thing and call a deuce a deuce."

http://www.sportingnews.com/voices/fans_view/20020127.html

If coaches win, then they'll stay regardless of what color they are. Green was given plenty of opportunity at Minnesota. Dungy plenty at T.B. In fact, look what Gruden did w/ T.B. that Dungy couldn't come near. It's his stupid philosophy and no other reason. He, Dungy that is, was quoted in a piece about Spurrier as having said "I like to keep games close so that in the 4th quarter we increase our chances of winning." The purpose of the quote was to differ w/ Spurrier's statement "I like to be up by 28 in the 4th quarter to increase our chances of winning."

I mean you can see the difference right that and anyone who's been familiar w/ Dungy's stymying approach knows that's true. It's also the difference between a decent approach and an inane one.

Not everything is a conspiracy by white people to keep blacks down. Success takes care of any and all speculation. Show me a black coach who's won conference championships or Super Bowls who was fired, and then this argument will have some evidence. Heck, if there is any sort of discrimination it's against coaches/coordinators like Weiss whom the NFL has openly said it doesn't want it's coaches' images to be overweight. What does that have to do directly w/ coaching? Nothing, directly.

WG
02-04-2003, 04:19 PM
BTW, there've been 5 black head coaches since '86. Art Shell, Dennis Green, Tony Dungy, Ray Rhodes and Herman Edwards.

I think the jury's out on Edwards, but I think he's gonna be a good one. As to two others, Dungy and Rhodes, they didn't do anything when their successors did w/ very similar teams. Green didn't do anything when Minnesota had it's most talent. Shell had issues w/ the players as well. Word was the he wasn't good either.

Some may be held down, but it certainly isn't the majority of people in the league who want it that way and to suggest that it is is silly. The same would apply to players then and that's far from the case with representation in the NFL at 3-5 times the national average. Teams want to win. If they think that a black head coach truly gives them that chance, then I'm sure they'd get him. It is silly to suggest that owners, GMs, players, and fans want to win, but only if it's with a white head coach.

pmoon6
02-04-2003, 04:35 PM
Wys,for once i agree with you.I thought an owner of a business has the right to hire whomever they choose.People seem to think there is a conspiracy among owners not to hire minorities.The bottom line in the NFL is winning. If an owner is a racist, he would only be hurting his business if he didn't hire the best candidate. I don't think many NFL owners are bad businessmen except Mike Brown and Bill Bidwell. All Johnie Cochran had to do was threaten the lawsuit and Tagliabue *****s his pants. If Cochran and company aren't satisfied they will push for a quota system and i'm sure Tagliabue will capitulate.

Earthquake Enyart
02-04-2003, 04:56 PM
5 in 16 years isn't much of a track record.

There's merit to the other side of the argument.