PDA

View Full Version : Manning:A classless jerk or otherwise

BFBills
02-04-2003, 01:53 PM
do you think manning had a right to say what he said?
i don't

THATHURMANATOR
02-04-2003, 01:55 PM
Why not? Someone called him out and he responded. I think if he didn't do something like that it would have made him look even more like a puss...:gobills:

JefftheBillsfan
02-04-2003, 01:59 PM
There are other ways of handling it...

Voltron
02-04-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by JefftheBillsfan

Yes you are right. Vanderjagt could have kept his drunk trap shut!

I do agree that 2 wrongs don't make a right but I loved what Payton said.

Vanderjagt :fight: Manning

BillsMan80
02-04-2003, 02:22 PM
Neither should have handled it that way, but Vanderjagt was right, and Manning had a point too.

Voltron
02-04-2003, 02:28 PM
I was upset with people belitteling the position of kicker all together on every NFL show I saw. I know that they may not have to play the smash mouth football that the rest have to, but can you imagine the pressure of a game winning kick? I think there are kickers out there (ex. Anderson, M Gramatica and even Christie) who have saved more games than most QBs.

Halbert
02-04-2003, 02:32 PM
Manning exposed himself as a leadership weakling, imo. He had a chance to respond with class and dignity and he did the opposite. It's blatently obvious a nerve was struck.

Manning will likley win this round because of who he is. But if you think his taking the low road won't put him at a disadvantage in the long run, you're missing something. Whatever seed of doubt other players carried in them about him will only grow as they think about the obvious side-stepping he did regaring the issues MV brought to light. Manning's post season record will gnaw at his teammates until he proves otherwise. Despite Payton's dynomite tactics, it's bound to resurface very easily again in the future.

Don't forget that even though he's "just a kicker", he's been the very best in the whole league for several years. His word carries more weight than Peyton might want to admit.

The Natrix
02-04-2003, 02:52 PM
I bet Vanderjagt would win in a fight

lordofgun
02-04-2003, 03:01 PM
Vanderjagt was the only one with guts to say what a lot of players thought. That said, it should have been handled in private. Peyton had a perfect chance to show his class and he blew it.

WG
02-04-2003, 03:44 PM
IMO if it had been anyone but the kicker, then Manning wouldn't have reacted the way he did. The fact that it was the kicker raises the issue to another level.

German
02-04-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by JefftheBillsfan

You're absolutely right. National TV is not the place to do this type of thing.

Earthquake Enyart
02-04-2003, 04:58 PM
He had to look like a tough guy for the rest of his teammates watching at home. If he says "aw shucks" it looks like the kicker is right. He had to show some fire, to keep the rest of the team and fans from calling him out.

Tatonka
02-04-2003, 05:56 PM
i find the whole thing utterly amusing..

dolfan25
02-04-2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Halbert
Despite Payton's dynomite tactics, it's bound to resurface very easily again in the future.

You didn't by chance watch a lot of Good Times in the 70's did you?

Ingtar33
02-04-2003, 11:32 PM
The real question should be... was Vanderjagt right? Personally, I think he was... is Manning a paper tiger and is Dungy a soft spoken 'nice guy' who can't win the important games. If you think he's right then it shouldn't mater what position he plays... in fact it shouldn't even be an issue.

StillLurkin
02-05-2003, 03:03 AM
i think this is getting blown out of proportion only because of who these guys are. NFL players with national media attention. if someone bad mouths me, right or wrong i am not going to sit back and take it. i'll speak my mind.

i personally got a kick out of it. as long as its not 2 buffalo bills bickering, who cares? how does it effect the bills?

maybe manning lacks "desire", but i think he showed some there with his comments. what would Jim Kelly have done if norwood would have called him out?

i'd rather have a QB that shows some fire than some gomer like RJ just dragging along.

just my opinion

Halbert
02-05-2003, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by dolfan25
You didn't by chance watch a lot of Good Times in the 70's did you?
Well, you know, what can I say?

Bufftp
02-05-2003, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by Halbert
Manning exposed himself as a leadership weakling, imo. He had a chance to respond with class and dignity and he did the opposite. It's blatently obvious a nerve was struck.

Don't forget that even though he's "just a kicker", he's been the very best in the whole league for several years. His word carries more weight than Peyton might want to admit.
well put Halbert

justasportsfan
02-05-2003, 07:31 AM
I think Manning should be the ball holder during field goal attempts by the Colts.

Bufftp
02-05-2003, 07:43 AM
:lol!: Justa

NC-BILLS44
02-05-2003, 08:36 AM
I agree with Vanderjagt about playing with emotion, but he should have kept his mouth shut. Television is not the place to slam a teammate, unless you don't want to be their teammate.

Manning was also right by defending himself. I agree that Vanderjagt is just an idiot kicker. Kickers may wear the uniform, but they aren't really part of the 'Team'. They have always been the outcasts.

BFBills
02-05-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by StillLurkin
just my opinion
well your opinion is wrong!
j/k