PDA

View Full Version : We should sign Fletcher to a 2 year extension

BillsFever21
04-03-2006, 12:11 PM
He is a great player and leader. He easily has a couple good years left in him. His contract runs out after this year.

Give him a new deal and make his cap figure high this year when we have tons of extra cash. His cap figure wouldn't be much at all the next 2 years. He's worth an average of 3.5 million a year.

That would give us a chance to draft somebody next year and groom them for a couple years to take over. I don't wanna lose Fletcher.

Michael82
04-03-2006, 12:43 PM
great post! :bf1:

I think that Marv needs to use the money left to sign a couple more 2nd tier FAs and extend a few players.... Fletcher, Clements, Peters and if he feels we can get a decent deal now, McGahee. :up:

bigbub2352
04-03-2006, 12:50 PM
Fletcher is on the wrong end of 30 his skills will only decline now, we have young backups waiting there chance, we gets overwhelmed by blockers constantly, flips out when he makes a tackle 2 yrds after the line of scrimmage, and doenst make enough big plays to be making the money he makes now, let him play out his final year here and see what happens before you throw more money at him. I agree with lockinig up some of our other players though Clements, and Peters. I do agree he is an emotional leader but so is Stamer on ST

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
04-03-2006, 01:01 PM
I agree with bigbub.

If you had brought this up 2 years ago I would be on board.
But Fletch is getting old.
We have seen Fletcher's best as a Bill. While I like him alot, as his skills diminish he will become less and less of an asset, and more of a liability.

I am not worried about keeping Fletcher around, I think we'll be fine without him.

Devin
04-03-2006, 01:03 PM
Absolutley, great lockroom guy. Once again had a solid year on an otherwise crappy team and most importantly he helps keep TKO happy.

casdhf
04-03-2006, 01:04 PM
he was by far the best player on out defense last season.

OpIv37
04-03-2006, 01:09 PM
he was by far the best player on out defense last season.

that's kind of like saying "well he was the friendliest guard at the concentration camp".

bigbub2352
04-03-2006, 01:09 PM
guys our defense went from 2-30 something, he got ran over and made most of his tackles after the line of scrimmage, he was only as good as the space eaters in from of him, I remeber reading articles after games last year about how our def was missing tackles he was one of those guys, ala cadillac williams etc..

ICE74129
04-03-2006, 01:12 PM
Here is a question to ponder....what good is a great locker room guy if he can't cover? He gets ran over. He is just a couple steps out of position because he doesn't have the quicks anymore.

Do you want to keep fletcher is Hawk is there at #8? As for as my buddy Devin talking about keeping TKO happy, I normally would agree. But the problem is, TKO may never be but 60% of what he was. If that is the case, look for him to be cut after the 06 season. Again great character guy, but if he can't play up to a certain level, you gotta let him go regardless.

I will be the first to say I am praying TKO makes it back, but the reality is, he won't be near 100% again.

Michael82
04-03-2006, 01:27 PM
Here is a question to ponder....what good is a great locker room guy if he can't cover? He gets ran over. He is just a couple steps out of position because he doesn't have the quicks anymore.

Do you want to keep fletcher is Hawk is there at #8? As for as my buddy Devin talking about keeping TKO happy, I normally would agree. But the problem is, TKO may never be but 60% of what he was. If that is the case, look for him to be cut after the 06 season. Again great character guy, but if he can't play up to a certain level, you gotta let him go regardless.

I will be the first to say I am praying TKO makes it back, but the reality is, he won't be near 100% again.
thats not the reality that I see.

bigbub2352
04-03-2006, 01:29 PM
aka julian petreson and sam cowhert R LB's are aging fast Angelo Crowell should be in there instead of Posey, Let Stamer and Haggan and Ezkeil get there fill while TKO hopefully can be back to normal but this year the Bills can't over use him

ICE74129
04-03-2006, 01:36 PM
thats not the reality that I see.

Take off the rose colored glasses and you will.

BillsFever21
04-03-2006, 03:14 PM
Take off the rose colored glasses and you will.

The same guy that thinks all these players we signed this year are up and coming stars is telling somebody else to take off the rose colored glasses. :roflmao:

Fletcher is a good player. I guess you guys think Haggan can step in and fill his shoes?

He is up towards the top of the league every year in tackles. It's not a coincidence.

When you have Anderson, Bannan and Sape as your DT's most of the year how much can somebody in back of him really do? Most LB's are only as good as what's in front of him.

Some of the same people who still thinks Moulds has good years left ahead of him at age 33 and hasn't done much in 3 years calls a player like Fletcher old.

When the season ends he's only 1 year older then Takeo. Takeo will never be the same again but last year everyone considered Takeo young and he's almost the same age.

Face it all the LB's who have tore an achilles tendon have never been the same. I hope Takeo is an exception but everyone just thinking it's a given he will be back at full strength is way too optimistic.

Mr. Pink
04-03-2006, 03:27 PM
I've gotten into arguments with friends of mine around here saying that the odds of Spikes returning to his former greatness aren't something that one should completely hang their hat on.

I cited two examples....Sam Cowart-great player and then average to good after the achilles. Jamir Miller-awesome player, a lot like Takeo and the injury ended his career.

But, I still would love to see Takeo come back at 100% I just don't expect it, especially this year.

clumping platelets
04-03-2006, 03:41 PM
I would draft his replacement this year........this is a good year for LB prospects

ICE74129
04-03-2006, 04:56 PM
The same guy that thinks all these players we signed this year are up and coming stars is telling somebody else to take off the rose colored glasses. :roflmao:

Fletcher is a good player. I guess you guys think Haggan can step in and fill his shoes?

He is up towards the top of the league every year in tackles. It's not a coincidence.

When you have Anderson, Bannan and Sape as your DT's most of the year how much can somebody in back of him really do? Most LB's are only as good as what's in front of him.

Some of the same people who still thinks Moulds has good years left ahead of him at age 33 and hasn't done much in 3 years calls a player like Fletcher old.

When the season ends he's only 1 year older then Takeo. Takeo will never be the same again but last year everyone considered Takeo young and he's almost the same age.

Face it all the LB's who have tore an achilles tendon have never been the same. I hope Takeo is an exception but everyone just thinking it's a given he will be back at full strength is way too optimistic.

Yes I feel the guys we signed are young up and comers....YOUNG being the operative word. up and coming meaning their best football is ahead of them.

fletcher makes a ton of tackles...about 7-10 yards down field. Not too hard to do that. I like fletcher. I was one of the very few to say he was not only going to replace Cowart, but suprass what he did. I like the guy and respect his leadership. But here is reality....he has one year left on his contract, do you want to really extend a guy at his age? Maybe so.

Reality says TKO will be 90% of his old self at best. That is best case scenario and that will be the best he will ever be. This injury is normally a career killer. Again we have to ask, is TKO at say 85% of his old self worth his contract TD Gave him? This is the sucky part of the NFL world but one we have to face

ICE74129
04-03-2006, 04:57 PM
I would draft his replacement this year........this is a good year for LB prospects Good call. We might want to look at OLB depending on how TKO comes back.

justasportsfan
04-03-2006, 05:01 PM
I would draft his replacement this year........this is a good year for LB prospects
:up:

Just because Fletcher is good in the locker room, doesn't mean we can't replace him with an upgrade performer on the field.

ICE74129
04-03-2006, 05:47 PM
:up:

Just because Fletcher is good in the locker room, doesn't mean we can't replace him with an upgrade performer on the field.

I will say this, IF we bypass the lines in the first round it better be for Hawk. Screw huff. We have safetys. If teams can run on us like they did last year, then Huff is a non factor.

Hawk is a Chris spielman attitude wise but is much better physically.