PDA

View Full Version : Darryl Tapp

Saratoga Slim
04-03-2006, 02:06 PM
What's Darryl Tapp's deal?

NFLdraftcountdown.com rates him as amazingly driven, "the kind of player you never want to underestimate", but says he's perhaps not a top physical talent.

Anybody who's watched him play a lot have thoughts on this guy? Sounds like an interesting mid-round pick

Saratoga Slim
04-03-2006, 02:12 PM
link:

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/de/darryltapp.html

Tatonka
04-03-2006, 02:24 PM
basically the best way i can describe tapp is to think Corey Moore.. i dont know if you remember him, but he was an incredible DE about 5 years ago out of Vtech.. lead the nation in sacks.. but was the exact definition of the word "tweener".. we drafted him in the 3rd round, but he could never cut it at DE..

tapp is very similar to him.. he was an absolute terror on the field on college.. a game changer for tech.. a clutch player and a team leader.. i love the guy..

he is not as fast as moore was.. and a hair bigger, but not much.. the problem is, that he is just too small to play defensive end.. too short and too light.. but not quite fast enough for OLB.. not a coverage guy at all, and not used to playing with his hand off the ground.

i see tapp being a perfect fit for someone like pittsburg or NE who use a 3-4 front and can use him in a willie mcginnest type role.. but i just can not see him being a fit for buffalo..

some team will draft him on day one.. he earned it in college.. but he is a guy that you have to have a specific role in mind for.. he is an extremely hard worker.. tech had a thing called the "lunch pale".. they give it to the guy who works the hardest in the week and plays the best in the games.. i dont think tapp gave up the lunch pale in the last two years at tech.. he is just an all around great guy.. brother fighting over seas that he uses as his motivation.. very tight family.. great attitude.. incredibly driven and plays bigger than he his.. will never ever give up on a play..

i would love to see him in a bills uniform if there was a spot for him, but i just dont see him being a fit here.

davis, the defensive tackle is very similar to tapp too.. same effort and mentality, but just a little undersized.. he may be able to make it at 300 lbs at DT for a team like us, who is looking for smaller, penitrating type guys.. and he will go about the same time.. 3rd round.. tapp may go higher, like i said, if a team has a specific role in mind.

hope that helps.

Saratoga Slim
04-03-2006, 02:35 PM
thanks T, that's good stuff. Wish he worked better for our system, cause sounds like exactly the type of guy you want in the locker room.

Tatonka
04-03-2006, 02:57 PM
he is

acehole
04-03-2006, 03:52 PM
<TABLE class=tborder id=post1425989 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 width=175>

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/customavatars/avatar183_1.gif (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/member.php?u=183)

</TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_1425989><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 10px; WIDTH: 100%" align=left><!-- icon and title -->Re: Darryl Tapp
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<HR style="COLOR: #f3f3ff" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->basically the best way i can describe tapp is to think Corey Moore
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><<<<

Or Dwitt Freeney...

casdhf
04-03-2006, 03:55 PM
Freeney > Moore.

Anyone with a comparison to Corey Moore ... I really don't wanna see in Buffalo.

The last buffalo fan
04-03-2006, 04:05 PM
Freeney > Moore.

Anyone with a comparison to Corey Moore ... I really don't wanna see in Buffalo.

My man Cas, I can't agree, but can't disagree either. I really expected alot from Moore, but our coaching staff in my opinion, never used his skills in the proper way, or in his advantage. Just like totanka said, maybe the system. But Moore really had the skills.

Devin
04-03-2006, 04:06 PM
T hit the nail on the head. I was stoked when we drafted Moore, because I truly though he could be a force at LB. He was a beast in college.

Tapp is a great college player but as T said hes going to go someplace where someone has a specific role cut out for him. I couldnt see him in B-Lo.

ICE74129
04-03-2006, 04:18 PM
Moore was a damn good talent. Wasn't he the kid that had the injury and developed 'drop foot'? It ruined his career.

Wait. Nope he was the guy that was shot in the leg by an unknown assailant while he was sitting in his car. He failed to report to camp and Greg Williams was pissed the guy wouldn't answer his phone. Moore finally showed to camp, appologied, put on the PUP list then cut.

chernobylwraiths
04-03-2006, 04:25 PM
Moore was a damn good talent. Wasn't he the kid that had the injury and developed 'drop foot'? It ruined his career.

No that was the late Damien Covington.

Corey Moore got shot in the offseason GW came here, but it was just a flesh wound. Moore seemed to think he was better than he actually was. Nobody seemed to want to try to get him. A guy with that kind of drive and talent in the LEAST would make a great special teams guy. Levy likes special teams guys. You never know.

What IS this guys size anyway?

ParanoidAndroid
04-03-2006, 04:40 PM
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR borderColor=#000066><TD width="21%">
</TD><TD></TD><TD width="35%" rowSpan=7>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width=166 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="BACKGROUND-POSITION: right top; BACKGROUND-REPEAT: no-repeat" vAlign=center background=images/blast.gif height=97>

</TD></TR><TR borderColor=#000066><TD>School</TD><TD width="44%">Virginia Techhttp://condraft.com/images/ascv.jpg (http://condraft.com/goto.php?g=college&id=66)</TD></TR><TR borderColor=#000066><TD>Class</TD><TD>2006</TD></TR><TR borderColor=#000066><TD>Height</TD><TD>601.5</TD></TR><TR borderColor=#000066><TD>Weight</TD><TD>256</TD></TR><TR borderColor=#000066><TD>Speed</TD><TD>4.79 (Pro Day) </TD></TR><TR borderColor=#000066><TD>Position</TD><TD>DE </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

from concensus draft sevices

*I think he could, with time, and possibly right away, make a very good SAM LB in a cover 2 Tampa style defense. His ball pursuit skills are awesome and he plays faster than his 40 time which isn't all that terrible for a LB.

acehole
04-03-2006, 05:30 PM
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR borderColor=#000066><TD width="21%">

</TD><TD></TD><TD width="35%" rowSpan=7>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width=166 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="BACKGROUND-POSITION: right top; BACKGROUND-REPEAT: no-repeat" vAlign=center background=images/blast.gif height=97>

</TD></TR><TR borderColor=#000066><TD>School</TD><TD width="44%">Virginia Techhttp://condraft.com/images/ascv.jpg (http://condraft.com/goto.php?g=college&id=66)</TD></TR><TR borderColor=#000066><TD>Class</TD><TD>2006</TD></TR><TR borderColor=#000066><TD>Height</TD><TD>601.5</TD></TR><TR borderColor=#000066><TD>Weight</TD><TD>256</TD></TR><TR borderColor=#000066><TD>Speed</TD><TD>4.79 (Pro Day) </TD></TR><TR borderColor=#000066><TD>Position</TD><TD>DE </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

from concensus draft sevices

*I think he could, with time, and possibly right away, make a very good SAM LB in a cover 2 Tampa style defense. His ball pursuit skills are awesome and he plays faster than his 40 time which isn't all that terrible for a LB.

Wow 600 inches tall no wonder size is a problem...maybe a goal post?

Or seriously what about LB?

Tatonka
04-03-2006, 05:36 PM
ace, the comparison to dwight freeny is way off.. they are totally different..

casdhf
04-03-2006, 05:39 PM
Forget corey more, I know its convenient because of the VT thing, but how about to a guy like London Fletcher? The size seems similar, but Flets seems to have alot more speed.

acehole
04-03-2006, 05:43 PM
ace, the comparison to dwight freeny is way off.. they are totally different..

I know my piont was that freeny is undersized as well...Cory Moore had character issuses as well...I think D Tapp could be a good 3rd down guy.

Tatonka
04-03-2006, 05:48 PM
Forget corey more, I know its convenient because of the VT thing, but how about to a guy like London Fletcher? The size seems similar, but Flets seems to have alot more speed.

now you are compairing apples to oranges.. tapp has never played LB at all.. he is a DE pure and simple.. if you could figure a way to make him a pass rusher from the LB spot, that would be one thing.. but 4.8 is real slow for a LB..

playing MLB is a totally different beast.. and tapp has no shot at that.. no one would even attempt it.

casdhf
04-03-2006, 06:25 PM
I'm not talking position wise, I'm more thinking instincts and athleticism ... I dunno anything about the guy

The Spaz
04-03-2006, 09:11 PM
I beleive Corey Moore only weighed like 220-225 though.

Tatonka
04-04-2006, 07:06 AM
corey moore was not a 225 lb de.. he was definately at least 250.. i want to say he was 260. They never would have tried him at DE in the nfl at 225.

The Spaz
04-04-2006, 08:14 AM
corey moore was not a 225 lb de.. he was definately at least 250.. i want to say he was 260. They never would have tried him at DE in the nfl at 225.

Ok.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/5118/

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/draft/lb/mooreset.htm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/content?playerId=2220

casdhf
04-04-2006, 08:17 AM
ah well

DraftBoy
04-04-2006, 09:59 AM
A better question to T is whether or not he think Imoh could be a decent RB in the NFL if he can get his head on straight.

So whaddya say T?

Kerr
04-04-2006, 10:05 AM
he's perfect for a 3-4.

Tatonka
04-04-2006, 10:46 AM
Ok.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/5118/

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/draft/lb/mooreset.htm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/content?playerId=2220

look.. spaz.. i am telling you.. i dont care what the links say.. i can show you a link that says sam adams weighs 330 and pat williams weights 315...

the fact of the matter is that i watched him at tech.. i remember him very well.. he bulked up his senior year because he knew he was too light for NFL DE.. he was at least 250 with us.

when he went to miami, they tried to use him at LB and he lost some weight.

it is what it is.. do you think the bills would start coy wire at DE at 225?

maybe we should draft darnell bing for DE?

Tatonka
04-04-2006, 10:47 AM
A better question to T is whether or not he think Imoh could be a decent RB in the NFL if he can get his head on straight.

So whaddya say T?

i dont see him being much better than shaud williams to be honest.. imoh is made of paper.. he got hurt every other game.. he was techs best RB on some days.. and others he disappeared.

i am not down on him, but i see him as a starter in the nfl.. 3rd down guy at best.

The Spaz
04-04-2006, 08:29 PM
look.. spaz.. i am telling you.. i dont care what the links say.. i can show you a link that says sam adams weighs 330 and pat williams weights 315...

the fact of the matter is that i watched him at tech.. i remember him very well.. he bulked up his senior year because he knew he was too light for NFL DE.. he was at least 250 with us.

when he went to miami, they tried to use him at LB and he lost some weight.

it is what it is.. do you think the bills would start coy wire at DE at 225?

maybe we should draft darnell bing for DE?

I have those links and 2 drafts guides staring me in the face that says 225lbs. I think Tapp will be better than Moore which isn't hard to do but won't be a bust either.

DraftBoy
04-04-2006, 09:01 PM
I have those links and 2 drafts guides staring me in the face that says 225lbs. I think Tapp will be better than Moore which isn't hard to do but won't be a bust either.

Well not that Im gonna dispute the facts but the Bills gameday guides always listed Ted, Pat, and Sam way under the actual weights. So I dunno I always thought Moore was closer to 255.

chernobylwraiths
04-04-2006, 09:31 PM
Well not that Im gonna dispute the facts but the Bills gameday guides always listed Ted, Pat, and Sam way under the actual weights. So I dunno I always thought Moore was closer to 255.

DTs are constantly listed much lower than their weight. Other players who are a more "normal" weight aren't given that kind of leway I don't believe. At least not THAT much.

Point of interest. If Moore played his senior year at 250 to 260 and then was named defensive player of the year, don't you think he would have kept it on to keep up that great play? I think he was mid 230s tops.

Tatonka
04-04-2006, 11:33 PM
moore did keep the weight on when he was with us.. he slimmed down when he was moved to LB in miami.

it really doesnt matter.. but i know for a fact that we did not draft and start a 225 lb defensive end.. i dont give a **** what anyone says..

225 is coy wire weight.. not DE weight.. i dont care what draft guide anyone has..

The Spaz
04-04-2006, 11:40 PM
moore did keep the weight on when he was with us.. he slimmed down when he was moved to LB in miami.

it really doesnt matter.. but i know for a fact that we did not draft and start a 225 lb defensive end.. i dont give a **** what anyone says..

225 is coy wire weight.. not DE weight.. i dont care what draft guide anyone has..

Here is other links saying 225. I dunno T I guess everyoen else is wrong.

http://www1.roanoke.com/techinsider/92499rk.html

http://www.hokiesports.com/football/Players/Moore.html

Tatonka
04-04-2006, 11:44 PM
i guess so.

are you saying we actually drafted a 225 lb DE and he started in the nfl? we started a saftey at DE?

LifetimeBillsFan
04-05-2006, 12:37 AM
I hate to disagree with you, T., but your wrong about Moore's weight.

My niece played varsity tennis for Va Tech when Moore was there. She met and became friends with him and a couple of the Va Tech football players when she was working out in the weight-room rehabbing an injury. She and some of the other women athletes at Va Tech got to know Moore and some of the other football players pretty well because they would see each other frequently around the athletic facilities.

She, being a Bills fan, was very excited about Corey Moore being drafted by the Bills and was very disappointed when he didn't make the team. But, when he was drafted, she told me that she was concerned that he might not be big enough to make it in the NFL as a DE because he only weighed about 225 or 230 lbs. I remember this because we had a long discussion about whether he was fast enough to play linebacker or would be able to put on another 30 lbs. I recall that she said that she didn't think that Moore would have an easy time putting on the weight he would need for the NFL because he wasn't that tall and had a hard time keeping on weight.

I think Moore might have had a shot as a situational pass-rushing outside LB in a 3-4 defense, but I don't think he was given enough time to develop and was never in the right system to utilize his abilities.

Tapp is a bigger guy than Moore, but plays very similarly and will probably have to be in the right system to prosper as well. He's a really hard-worker, so he has a shot to make it, but IMHO he's definitely a "boom-or-bust" pick in the draft.

Tatonka
04-05-2006, 06:21 AM
i guess i am too far removed from moore being drafted to remember correctly.. but i just cant believe we started a strong safety at defensive end.

chernobylwraiths
04-05-2006, 11:11 AM
i guess i am too far removed from moore being drafted to remember correctly.. but i just cant believe we started a strong safety at defensive end.

They tried to convert him to a rushing linebacker. I don't think they every tried to use him as a DE.