PDA

View Full Version : Vincent Provides Veteran (Whining) Opinion

G. Host
04-03-2006, 08:26 PM
The new deal will result in more spoiled children. Deal takes away ability of teams to enforce deals. Not happy with deal? Threaten to retire and keep money. Not happy with spotlight? Act like a spoiled child and you can only punished very little. Not be a team player? Does not make a difference for team can not make you sit without Players Association crying and creating a dirty diaper.

From player rep Vincent who seems more concerned about winning get-out-of-jail-free cards than games:
Among the bigger accomplishments Vincent believes the Players Association made was getting more favorable language for the players for situations like that of Terrell Owens and on signing bonus forfeitures. Disciplinary action against a player is limited to four weeks and includes weeks when a player is deactivated, thereby removing the option the Eagles made use of with Owens last season.
A player can only lose 25 percent of his signing bonus that year if he acts in a way that undermines his ability to fully participate in a game. An example would be Kellen Winslow Jr.'s motorcycle accident.
NFL teams can't get back signing bonus money if a player retires. It would have to be negotiated in a player's contract for it to happen. Barry Sanders premature retirement would be an example.
Teams also can't go back and collect signing bonuses, performance bonuses or escalators earned in past years, like the Dolphins tried to do with Ricky Williams.
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=3690

I wouldn't wear a Vinvent jersey if someone paid for my ticket to the game!

Devin
04-03-2006, 08:54 PM
Do NFL teams actually gain anything in this deal?

ryjam282
04-03-2006, 09:11 PM
Of course they do...No strike...:shakeno:

chernobylwraiths
04-03-2006, 09:32 PM
I see nothing wrong with these. They are called a signing bonus for a reason. They get money for signing a contract. If the guy doesn't pan out or retires, then too ***** bad. You take plenty of risks by signing a guy, especially for a lot of money. Hey, the teams still have the right to just cut a guy and not have to live up to THEIR end of the contract. I have no problem with bonuses earned and signing bonuses being guaranteed and that the team can't go back and take them back. I thought it was complete BS that Miami and Detroit tried to get money back from Ricky and Barry. I don't have a ton of sympathy for the players, but they deserve this IMO.

TigerJ
04-03-2006, 11:19 PM
The only problem is it allows players to be disingenuous. A player can pretend long term interest in the game when negotiating a contract, then decide he likes weed more than the gridiron after he signs. The team is out millions and the player has a fat bank account to support his habit. I know such situations are rare, but when they happen, the team it happens to is screwed.