• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LifetimeBillsFan
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Aug 2004

Kelly Shares Thoughts On Bills

I couldn't find a URL on the Bills website for this and don't know how much of it can be copied here without violating copyright, but here are some of Jim Kelly's comments that were contained in an email for Bills Backers:

..."Hopefully I'm going to be putting my foot into the door a little bit and doing things with the Bills," Kelly told Buffalobills.com recently. "If things work out and I'm part of this team I'm going to make sure the media and the community realizes that we're all in this together."

Since Marv Levy re-joined the Bills in January, this time as the General Manager, the Hall of Fame coach has been stressing the importance of working together to accomplish a goal.

"The team concept," said Kelly. "It's the whole thing of you're only as good as the people around you. It doesn't matter if you're Marv Levy, Don Shula or Bill Polian, if you don't have great people around you that believe in what your thought process is you'll never get your goal accomplished."....

Kelly went on to say:

..."You need to keep people focused and make sure their work ethic is the same as yours," Kelly said. "People must realize that you're in it together and it's not about individual egos. Egos get passed off at the door."

And Kelly says Levy is just the guy to get everyone working on the same page.

"It's exciting," said Kelly. "I don't care what people say about Marv's age, he's probably sharper than anybody across the NFL as far as General Manager."

So how about the 2006 Buffalo Bills? Does Kelly see a bright future?

"Obviously they need some help at different positions," said Kelly. "I think Dick Jauron is bringing a defensive philosophy that is different than what used to be here and that is a big plus. No longer will the Bills need two big run stuffers up front. It's more about getting to the quarterback and getting players to the ball.

"On offense, I just think we need to have an identity. It kinds of bums me out a little bit because of what the coaches did last year. I think Kelly Holcomb is a good quarterback, don't get me wrong, but it's not right to move up in the draft to take a guy in the first round and then alternate him back and forth in his second year in the league. I'm not giving up on J.P. Losman, maybe the competition will bring out the best in him"....

Kelly concluded by opining that Marv is a big plus and that the Bills have some good players. He also said that he hoped the team can get an impact player in the draft who will be able to start and that the team isn't very far from being competitive.

It's a little surprising, perhaps, given Kelly's repeated statements in the past about not wanting to be a coach, etc., that he is now considering being involved with the team. But, from his comments about the media and the community and, later, Holcomb and Losman, it sounds like M.Levy might be interested in having Kelly--who is one of the most popular Bills players ever--serve as something of a buffer/ambassador to the media and fans who may may take a rather harsh view of some of the moves that Levy wants to make in rebuilding the team over the next couple of years and, possibly, as someone who can mentor JP Losman to teach him what he needs to do to gain more acceptance in the lockerroom and as a team leader. If so, I think that would be a great development that would certainly help the team.

I found Kelly's comments on the QB situation very interesting: Kelly certainly doesn't sound very high on K.Holcomb--I wonder if M.Levy shares that view--and seems to think that Losman still has potential to be the starting QB the team needs.

(If I can find a URL for this somewhere on the Bills' site, I will post it.)
    Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.
  • lordofgun
    in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

Re: Kelly Shares Thoughts On Bills

Originally posted by LifetimeBillsFan
    "On offense, I just think we need to have an identity. It kinds of bums me out a little bit because of what the coaches did last year. I think Kelly Holcomb is a good quarterback, don't get me wrong, but it's not right to move up in the draft to take a guy in the first round and then alternate him back and forth in his second year in the league. I'm not giving up on J.P. Losman, maybe the competition will bring out the best in him"....
    BRAVO, JIMBO!

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• BADTHINGSMAN
      • Oct 2002

I believe its from the Democrat and Chronicle, a paper out of Rochester NY.. I remember reading something very close to that in there about a week ago..

Comment

• Devin
        The Octagon
        • Apr 2003

Kelly at any position in the organization (FO/Coaching) is an upgrade.
        http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• Meathead
          Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
          • Jul 2002

notice how jimbos comments were lockstep with what marv has been saying from the start. they are on exactly the same page and that could be a powerful combination to instilling a philosophy throughout the entire organization. a good product on the field is the end result of all that

i liiike it

trust in the marv and find peace
          One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• Tatonka
            • Jul 2002

Kelly knows whats up.
            "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Billsrock4life
              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Devin
              Kelly at any position in the organization (FO/Coaching) is an upgrade.
              agreed

Comment

• Night Train
                Retired - On Several Levels
                • Jul 2005

Originally posted by LifetimeBillsFan
                Kelly certainly doesn't sound very high on K.Holcomb--I wonder if M.Levy shares that view--and seems to think that Losman still has potential to be the starting QB the team needs.
                Kelly can see what most everyone can. Holcomb is a noodle arm stone footed backup and nothing more. If Losman doesn't come around, then it's Nall. Holcomb should fashion a clipboard or be gone.
                Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• don137
                  • Jul 2002

It sure sounds like Kelly is saying that Holcomb is not the answer as a starter and that the compeitition hopefully will make Losman excel to the next level.

To be a QB you need to be a leader. To be a leader you need to earn the respect of your teammates. As of right now Losman does not have that respect. I think Kelly could really help Losman in that respect.

Comment

• Historian
                    2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                    • Dec 2002

Amen to that.

And the reason he wants back in?

His son passed away. His foundation lives on, but the day to day care that is requireed is no longer necessary. And his girls are in school all day.

Jim probably feels he can contribute to the team behind the scenes, and it will give his wife a break from him hanging around the house all day with nothing to do.

Comment

• eyedog
                      • Jul 2002

It's pretty obvious he is saying that last years coaches were a bunch of clueless morons and that Holcomb is nothing more than a backup.
                      You can't fool the players. They know who can and can't play and Kelly is telling us in a nice way that Hoclomb isn't the answer for the future. Of course most here already know that.

Comment

• ICE74129
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Feb 2005

TIME OUT!

All you guys are going ga ga over Jim's comments. But why is that? You guys dont like Marv's approach to how he is putting this team together, but Jimbo apperantly has no problem with it. So, if you support Jim you support Marv's way right?

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by don137
                          To be a QB you need to be a leader. To be a leader you need to earn the respect of your teammates. As of right now Losman does not have that respect. I think Kelly could really help Losman in that respect.

He will get his respect once he earns the job and not handed to him.
                          sacrifice1
                          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ICE74129
                            TIME OUT!

All you guys are going ga ga over Jim's comments. But why is that? You guys dont like Marv's approach to how he is putting this team together, but Jimbo apperantly has no problem with it. So, if you support Jim you support Marv's way right?

We agree with what they say. Whether they can pull it off remains to be seen.
                            sacrifice1
                            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• ICE74129
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by justasportsfan

He will get his respect once he earns the job and not handed to him.
                              How do you earn the job without playing? No one earns a job sitting in the class room. And as for as 'camp' goes....Rob johnson looked like Elway in his prime while in controlled camp.

You have to earn it on the field. That takes TIME!

Comment

Working...
                              X