PDA

View Full Version : Kelly Shares Thoughts On Bills

LifetimeBillsFan
04-03-2006, 11:43 PM
I couldn't find a URL on the Bills website for this and don't know how much of it can be copied here without violating copyright, but here are some of Jim Kelly's comments that were contained in an email for Bills Backers:

..."Hopefully I'm going to be putting my foot into the door a little bit and doing things with the Bills," Kelly told Buffalobills.com recently. "If things work out and I'm part of this team I'm going to make sure the media and the community realizes that we're all in this together."

Since Marv Levy re-joined the Bills in January, this time as the General Manager, the Hall of Fame coach has been stressing the importance of working together to accomplish a goal.

"The team concept," said Kelly. "It's the whole thing of you're only as good as the people around you. It doesn't matter if you're Marv Levy, Don Shula or Bill Polian, if you don't have great people around you that believe in what your thought process is you'll never get your goal accomplished."....

Kelly went on to say:

..."You need to keep people focused and make sure their work ethic is the same as yours," Kelly said. "People must realize that you're in it together and it's not about individual egos. Egos get passed off at the door."

And Kelly says Levy is just the guy to get everyone working on the same page.

"It's exciting," said Kelly. "I don't care what people say about Marv's age, he's probably sharper than anybody across the NFL as far as General Manager."

So how about the 2006 Buffalo Bills? Does Kelly see a bright future?

"Obviously they need some help at different positions," said Kelly. "I think Dick Jauron is bringing a defensive philosophy that is different than what used to be here and that is a big plus. No longer will the Bills need two big run stuffers up front. It's more about getting to the quarterback and getting players to the ball.

"On offense, I just think we need to have an identity. It kinds of bums me out a little bit because of what the coaches did last year. I think Kelly Holcomb is a good quarterback, don't get me wrong, but it's not right to move up in the draft to take a guy in the first round and then alternate him back and forth in his second year in the league. I'm not giving up on J.P. Losman, maybe the competition will bring out the best in him"....

Kelly concluded by opining that Marv is a big plus and that the Bills have some good players. He also said that he hoped the team can get an impact player in the draft who will be able to start and that the team isn't very far from being competitive.

It's a little surprising, perhaps, given Kelly's repeated statements in the past about not wanting to be a coach, etc., that he is now considering being involved with the team. But, from his comments about the media and the community and, later, Holcomb and Losman, it sounds like M.Levy might be interested in having Kelly--who is one of the most popular Bills players ever--serve as something of a buffer/ambassador to the media and fans who may may take a rather harsh view of some of the moves that Levy wants to make in rebuilding the team over the next couple of years and, possibly, as someone who can mentor JP Losman to teach him what he needs to do to gain more acceptance in the lockerroom and as a team leader. If so, I think that would be a great development that would certainly help the team.

I found Kelly's comments on the QB situation very interesting: Kelly certainly doesn't sound very high on K.Holcomb--I wonder if M.Levy shares that view--and seems to think that Losman still has potential to be the starting QB the team needs.

(If I can find a URL for this somewhere on the Bills' site, I will post it.)

lordofgun
04-03-2006, 11:46 PM
"On offense, I just think we need to have an identity. It kinds of bums me out a little bit because of what the coaches did last year. I think Kelly Holcomb is a good quarterback, don't get me wrong, but it's not right to move up in the draft to take a guy in the first round and then alternate him back and forth in his second year in the league. I'm not giving up on J.P. Losman, maybe the competition will bring out the best in him"....

:bf1: BRAVO, JIMBO!

BADTHINGSMAN
04-03-2006, 11:58 PM
I believe its from the Democrat and Chronicle, a paper out of Rochester NY.. I remember reading something very close to that in there about a week ago..

Devin
04-04-2006, 12:14 AM
Kelly at any position in the organization (FO/Coaching) is an upgrade.

Meathead
04-04-2006, 01:06 AM
notice how jimbos comments were lockstep with what marv has been saying from the start. they are on exactly the same page and that could be a powerful combination to instilling a philosophy throughout the entire organization. a good product on the field is the end result of all that

i liiike it

trust in the marv and find peace

Tatonka
04-04-2006, 06:59 AM
Kelly knows whats up.

Billsrock4life
04-04-2006, 07:06 AM
Kelly at any position in the organization (FO/Coaching) is an upgrade.

agreed

Night Train
04-04-2006, 07:17 AM
Kelly certainly doesn't sound very high on K.Holcomb--I wonder if M.Levy shares that view--and seems to think that Losman still has potential to be the starting QB the team needs.

Kelly can see what most everyone can. Holcomb is a noodle arm stone footed backup and nothing more. If Losman doesn't come around, then it's Nall. Holcomb should fashion a clipboard or be gone.

don137
04-04-2006, 08:05 AM
It sure sounds like Kelly is saying that Holcomb is not the answer as a starter and that the compeitition hopefully will make Losman excel to the next level.

To be a QB you need to be a leader. To be a leader you need to earn the respect of your teammates. As of right now Losman does not have that respect. I think Kelly could really help Losman in that respect.

Historian
04-04-2006, 08:10 AM

Amen to that.

And the reason he wants back in?

His son passed away. His foundation lives on, but the day to day care that is requireed is no longer necessary. And his girls are in school all day.

Jim probably feels he can contribute to the team behind the scenes, and it will give his wife a break from him hanging around the house all day with nothing to do.

eyedog
04-04-2006, 08:13 AM
It's pretty obvious he is saying that last years coaches were a bunch of clueless morons and that Holcomb is nothing more than a backup.
You can't fool the players. They know who can and can't play and Kelly is telling us in a nice way that Hoclomb isn't the answer for the future. Of course most here already know that.

ICE74129
04-04-2006, 08:16 AM
TIME OUT!

All you guys are going ga ga over Jim's comments. But why is that? You guys dont like Marv's approach to how he is putting this team together, but Jimbo apperantly has no problem with it. So, if you support Jim you support Marv's way right?

:D:

justasportsfan
04-04-2006, 08:18 AM
To be a QB you need to be a leader. To be a leader you need to earn the respect of your teammates. As of right now Losman does not have that respect. I think Kelly could really help Losman in that respect.
:up:

He will get his respect once he earns the job and not handed to him.

justasportsfan
04-04-2006, 08:19 AM
TIME OUT!

All you guys are going ga ga over Jim's comments. But why is that? You guys dont like Marv's approach to how he is putting this team together, but Jimbo apperantly has no problem with it. So, if you support Jim you support Marv's way right?

:D:We agree with what they say. Whether they can pull it off remains to be seen.

ICE74129
04-04-2006, 08:22 AM

How do you earn the job without playing? No one earns a job sitting in the class room. And as for as 'camp' goes....Rob johnson looked like Elway in his prime while in controlled camp.

You have to earn it on the field. That takes TIME!

ICE74129
04-04-2006, 08:22 AM
We agree with what they say. Whether they can pull it off remains to be seen.

Who is this 'we'? Seems myself and about 3 others agree with the way Marv has went about business.

eyedog
04-04-2006, 08:23 AM

Thats all fine and good but lets talk reality. In the NFL if your a 1st rd. pick you are gonna get thrown on the field to play and it's your job to lose. I don't care if the 2nd or 3rd string player totally outplays you in preseason. When you are drafted high and make big money it's your job to lose.

justasportsfan
04-04-2006, 08:32 AM
How do you earn the job without playing? No one earns a job sitting in the class room. And as for as 'camp' goes....Rob johnson looked like Elway in his prime while in controlled camp.

You have to earn it on the field. That takes TIME!What I was trying to say is that it was handed to him at camp last year. This year he's gonna have to beat out everyone at camp and continue to play well all year.

I also don't think that if the starter stinks it up during regular season that they will stick with him. It will be a continuos audition until the future qb is determined.

justasportsfan
04-04-2006, 08:34 AM
Thats all fine and good but lets talk reality. In the NFL if your a 1st rd. pick you are gonna get thrown on the field to play and it's your job to lose. I don't care if the 2nd or 3rd string player totally outplays you in preseason. When you are drafted high and make big money it's your job to lose.
JP wasn't drafted by Marv. It's not JP's job. He will hav to beat out Marv's selection, Nall.

justasportsfan
04-04-2006, 08:35 AM
Who is this 'we'? Seems myself and about 3 others agree with the way Marv has went about business.
the people on this thread who agree with Kelly.

ICE74129
04-04-2006, 08:36 AM
What I was trying to say is that it was handed to him at camp last year. This year he's gonna have to beat out everyone at camp and continue to play well all year.

I also don't think that if the starter stinks it up during regular season that they will stick with him. It will be a continuos audition until the future qb is determined.

I can tell you now justa your last paragraph is how you NEVER get a starter. You MUST let the kid work through bad times. All the guys Marv talks about had a bad first YEAR. as in 16 games, not benched,not looking over his shoulder etc. A QB must be able to do that.

some have said marv wants his 'Jim Kelly'. Well marv NEVER pulled kelly....ever. Marv knows, you must work through your problems. If a QB has to fight the battle on the field and look over his shoulder, he can't win. It NEVER works.

justasportsfan
04-04-2006, 08:40 AM
I can tell you now justa your last paragraph is how you NEVER get a starter. You MUST let the kid work through bad times. All the guys Marv talks about had a bad first YEAR. as in 16 games, not benched,not looking over his shoulder etc. A QB must be able to do that.

some have said marv wants his 'Jim Kelly'. Well marv NEVER pulled kelly....ever. Marv knows, you must work through your problems. If a QB has to fight the battle on the field and look over his shoulder, he can't win. It NEVER works.Jauron has played qb musical chairs at chicago. I think the bills are gonna use this season to find out who their future qb is or if he's even on the team.

Marv knew what he had in Kelly, he doesn't know what he has with either JP or Nall.

eyedog
04-04-2006, 09:35 AM
Marv, knew that Kelly had potential but until he actually got on the field and produced Marv didn't know any more than what he knows with these qb's.
As stated Marv didn't waver on Kelly either. He kept him on the field throught the rough times, and Kelly had some in the beginning.
I can remember sitting in the stadium in the late 80's and still some of the idiots were yelling for Reich, saying he was better. The backup qb, the underdog, is always a favorite with some. But this isn't pee wee football, you have to identify the real talent and give it a chance. Nobody said it would be fair.

Kerr
04-04-2006, 10:09 AM
what was that? jimbo not giving up on jp?
Take it from a qb who knows the qb position.

Statman
04-04-2006, 10:46 AM
... possibly, as someone who can mentor JP Losman to teach him what he needs to do to gain more acceptance in the lockerroom and as a team leader. If so, I think that would be a great development that would certainly help the team.
Levy and Jauron definitely havn't made that task any easier.

If Levy wants to get people on the same page, then he can start by moving this team in a positive direction. If he can't do that, nobody will be on the same page.

ICE74129
04-04-2006, 11:16 AM
Jauron has played qb musical chairs at chicago. I think the bills are gonna use this season to find out who their future qb is or if he's even on the team.

Marv knew what he had in Kelly, he doesn't know what he has with either JP or Nall.

Then pick one guy and move on. Playing musical QB's pisses off the rest of the team. That situation is not what the remaining vets on this team want to go through again.

justasportsfan
04-04-2006, 11:41 AM
Then pick one guy and move on. Playing musical QB's pisses off the rest of the team. That situation is not what the remaining vets on this team want to go through again.
I agree that a qb should be given an entire season under his belt. That's easier said then done when you have 2 young qb's in your line up starting from scratch.

Let's say JP wins the job at camp. He's gonna have to play better than he did last year during regular season or else Marv and Dick are gonna see what Nall can do in a real game scenario. Rob Johnson was a great training camp qb.

In a team that's practically rebuilding, the whole year could be a process of audition. I'm not saying that's whats gonna happen but I wouldn't be surprise if they play musical chairs to determine who's our future. Neither qb's have the luxury to stink it up.

ICE74129
04-04-2006, 11:43 AM
I agree that a qb should be given an entire season under his belt. That's easier said then done when you have 2 young qb's in your line up starting from scratch.

Let's say JP wins the job at camp. He's gonna have to play better than he did last year during regular season or else Marv and Dick are gonna see what Nall can do in a real game scenario. Rob Johnson was a great training camp qb.

In a team that's practically rebuilding, the whole year could be a process of audition for both JP and Nall. Remember, JP wasn't Marv's pick to be the bills' qb of the future. He's gonna have to convince the staff he is all year.

My 2 cents.

Which could be one of the reasons we had issues with FA's this year. I don't see many vets wanting to waste their time on a QB battle.

justasportsfan
04-04-2006, 11:46 AM
Which could be one of the reasons we had issues with FA's this year. I don't see many vets wanting to waste their time on a QB battle.what issues? The only issue I saw was Marv not offering huge contracts and going after big named FA's. . Not that they didn't want to be here.

BAM
04-04-2006, 11:56 AM
Who cares what Jim Kelly thinks?

don137
04-04-2006, 12:15 PM
Who cares what Jim Kelly thinks?
:shocked: :doh2:

BAM
04-04-2006, 12:22 PM
I'm joking. I hope he joins the squad sooner than later. We obviously need all the help we can get.

LifetimeBillsFan
04-04-2006, 04:49 PM

Ice, I have been very suportive of the way that Marv has gone about his business thus far and, judging from the positive response that a lot of my comments have received, there are more than 3 people here who agree with that same premise--however, sometimes it's about how one presents the argument that determines how it is received....

As for the way that Marv and DJ are handling the QB situation: I don't agree with the way that they have let rumours about not liking JP and trying to trade him continue in the press, but I do see a lot of similarities in how Marv is dealing with this situation with how he described the way that he handled the QB situation in KC when he took over as the coach there. And, that situation is a much better comparison to the situation that he has now in Buffalo than his situation was when he arrived in Buffalo and had Jim Kelly, who had already spent several years playing in the USFL, to work with: Kelly was already a proven commodity, while Losman, Nall and Holcomb are much closer to what he had with Fuller, Kenney and Livingston in KC.

I expect Marv and DJ to handle their QBs in much the same way that Marv dealt with his QBs in KC--and thus far he has. If you read Marv's book, you know that he does not feel that changing the QB will dramatically turn around a bad team's fortunes if the other positions are not addressed, that he is not a fan of drafting a QB to be the team's savior, and that he does not have a lot of faith in young QBs until they show on the field in practice that they are capable of successfully leading the team. In KC, Marv juggled his QBs in a very similar manner to the way that Jauron juggled his QBs in Chicago and, after starting out with the experienced vet Livingston, saw the unknown, lower ranked Kenney emerge as the better of his two QBs while his touted first round draft pick, Fuller, took years to develop into a competent, although by no means star, NFL QB--just as Jauron had Chandler and, later, Jim Miller emerge ahead of the highly touted Cade McNown. I think that experience has stuck with Marv and has been confirmed in his thinking by what Jauron experienced in Chicago. And, as a result, they are determined to see what they have and who will emerge at QB for the Bills before they make any decisions--particularly since they have almost certainly heard a lot of negative things from the vets that they have talked to who are not fans of Losman and he may have made a less than positive impression on them at first meeting.

Now, you may not agree with the way that they have chosen to go about dealing with the situation by announcing that JP will have to step up his game and win the job over Nall and Holcomb, but, given their past experiences and the situation in the Bills' lockerroom that they inherited, it is quite understandable that they will be wary about giving the touted 1st round draft pick any apparent advantage over the other two QBs at this point. But, Kelly's comments virtually tell you that Holcomb is a fall-back position who they will go to if one of the other two guys doesn't seize the opportunity in mini-camp and the training camp. The battle will be between Nall and Losman with Losman having to show that he can be consistently accurate with his throws--something that he struggled with and that Nall has been better at in his limited playing time--and, more importantly, win the respect of his teammates off-of-the-field. This latter issue seems to be their biggest concern--which is a legitimate concern for the FO/coaching staff if their goal is to get everyone on the same page and willing to work hard together toward the same goal--and the biggest hurdle for Losman to clear. And, that's an area that doesn't involve how many reps Losman gets in mini-camp or practice where he can and will be expected to show a dramatic improvement--where, if he doesn't, it will be hard for their FO/coaching staff to look to JP to be the future leader of the team.

In that regard, the number of reps that the QBs is less important to their evaluation of who the starting QB will be than it might be and that you are making it out to be. From their comments, Marv and DJ, like Kelly, seem to already recognize that Losman has the superior physical talent and the potential to be their starting QB, but their concerns seem to be more centered on his off-field attitude and ability to both lead a team and learn how to develop the kind of consistency that they are looking for from their starting QB.

While I share your concerns about whether their approach to dealing with these issues will adversely impact Losman and the team's performance, I do understand why they have chosen to make them such a point of emphasis and to address them in the manner that they are. This is a case where, I believe, what happens off-of-the-field may end up being more important to the ultimate decision than what happens on the field. And, in that regard, I can see Kelly being a big help to Losman if JP will accept and act on Kelly's advice.

Meathead
04-04-2006, 05:49 PM
walk with The Marv and walk in light