PDA

View Full Version : Question...What is a luxury pick on this Team?

Mr. Pink
04-04-2006, 02:26 PM
I keep seeing we need to pick LINES but Vernon Davis is a luxury, Huff is a Luxury, etc etc etc.

Lets' face it here we have lots of NEEDS....

TE-Everett has a history of injury problems and Royal is what he is, a blocking TE.

LB-Spikes coming off a career threatening injury, so who knows how he'll do? Fletcher is on the wrong side of 30...And Posey lucked out because he played huge in a career year.

CB-Clements might not be back next year.

S-Bowen is a special teamer and not much more. Vincent is about 50 years old, ok, I exagerrated a tad there.

QB-Losman, Nall, Holcomb? Losman is the only guy with any upside but I fear this organization has completely killed any confidence this "KID" has. Nall? who knows. And Holcomb is a career backup that has been part of killing two young QBs now in Couch and JP.

WR-Reed, Davis, Parrish, Joe Schmoe-neither are a legitimate number 2 in this league. After Evans the talent/level of play of our WRs has a HUGE drop off.

To me everything I listed is a NEED. So drafting Davis, Huff, Hawk, Tye Hill-whom none of us has talked about, or even Vince Young/Jay Cutler and NO I want neither of these guys addresses a need.

So why is the LINES so much more of a NEED than any of these positions? I'm honestly curious.

ICE74129
04-04-2006, 02:30 PM
So why is the LINES so much more of a NEED than any of these positions? I'm honestly curious.

if you have to ask that question, you know nothing about football. Threre is nothing left to say.

Mski
04-04-2006, 02:30 PM
What Funtimes just said makes absolutely way to much sense!:negrep:

ICE74129
04-04-2006, 02:40 PM
What Funtimes just said makes absolutely way to much sense!:negrep:

No it was one of the stupidest posts in message board history.

Mr. Pink
04-04-2006, 02:45 PM
No it was one of the stupidest posts in message board history.

Oh yeah, I forgot, it's stupid according to you and all your magical reports....

Bowen is the starting safety according to YOU, seeing no one else has seen this article, nor have you ever shown evidence that it existed.

But you're right reaching for a guy that if you picked 15th you'd still get at 8th is the way to go.

One day I wish to grow up and be as smart as you, that would rule.

Go ahead NEG rep me some more BTW for making sense and having a differing opinion than you, I dig it. In fact I enjoy being a ****ing idiot as you put it.

NOW, instead of dissing me on a perfectly logical thread and question, WHY NOT ADDRESS and ANSWER it. Novel concept I know.

ICE74129
04-04-2006, 02:50 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot, it's stupid according to you and all your magical reports....

Bowen is the starting safety according to YOU, seeing no one else has seen this article, nor have you ever shown evidence that it existed.

Sure they did and it was there. Again...reeeeeaaaal sllooooooowwwww...they shortened the article for archiving.

But you're right reaching for a guy that if you picked 15th you'd still get at 8th is the way to go.

Do we have a trade partner? Are we at #15 or #8? If you have a LT that can anchor the line for 10+ years and know you can't get him in the 2nd, yes you take him at 8. Oh and if you will check my posts you will see I am all in favor of trading down.

One day I wish to grow up and be as smart as you, that would rule.

Yes it would.

Go ahead NEG rep me some more BTW for making sense and having a differing opinion than you, I dig it. In fact I enjoy being a ****ing idiot as you put it.

Man you are paranoid. I haven't seen a post make sense yet. Esp this one.

NOW, instead of dissing me on a perfectly logical thread and question, WHY NOT ADDRESS and ANSWER it. Novel concept I know.

Mski
04-04-2006, 02:53 PM
This thread started out with so much promise to actually spurr good conversation, instead it turned into ice's personal vendetta against someone who has a different opinion then him. and instead of trying to use football to talk about it he resorted to person attacks.

with a top ten pick in the draft there is no such thing as a luxury pick. your team is picking in the top ten for a reason, they weren't very good last year. that said there isnt one position on this team right now that we couldnt upgrade at. how can you pass up a safety/cb with the speed of huff, especially if we're going to run the cover 2, how can you pass up a TE Stud like Davis, h's fast,strong, and will be able to block downfield for the backs

TedMock
04-04-2006, 02:54 PM
The lines are the most important part of any team, so if all positions are needed, the lines become most vital by default. Great lines make great QB's, and great RB's, more often than the other way around. Pittsburgh has the best o-line in football, and Seattle isn't far behind, hence the two SB teams. You can point to the QB's, but is either really a "stud?" Rothlisberger is closer to being one than the very average, yet pro-bowl, Hasselback. He is a smart QB, though. NE built a dynasty primarily around the lines, Carolina has had a stud line in recent years, and they have been among the best despite having only one WR, and average RB's. Indy's line played poorly in one game this year, and how did that make Peyton Manning look? He fell apart on the field and at the podium. You can go on and on, but the picture is clear. The old cliche' holds absolutely true in this case; "Games are won and lost in the trenches."

ICE74129
04-04-2006, 02:58 PM
This thread started out with so much promise to actually spurr good conversation, instead it turned into ice's personal vendetta against someone who has a different opinion then him. and instead of trying to use football to talk about it he resorted to person attacks.

with a top ten pick in the draft there is no such thing as a luxury pick. your team is picking in the top ten for a reason, they weren't very good last year. that said there isnt one position on this team right now that we couldnt upgrade at. how can you pass up a safety/cb with the speed of huff, especially if we're going to run the cover 2, how can you pass up a TE Stud like Davis, h's fast,strong, and will be able to block downfield for the backs

show me one personal attack. There are none. Attack the post (and GOD was it easy) not the poster.

With a top 10 pick it usually means your lines suck. Name for me a bad team with GREAT lines. there are none. We have LG, LT, DT just to name 3 spots that still need starters. Gandy is a below average LT. THE Most important OL spot needs an upgrade. now ANY GM, Coach whatever will list QB, LT, RDE as the cornerstones of your franchise. our LT SUCKS. We a shot to get a kid that could solidify the spot for 10 years. you must make the pick

EricStratton
04-04-2006, 03:03 PM
show me one personal attack.

if you have to ask that question, you know nothing about football

This looks like it counts to me.

ICE74129
04-04-2006, 03:05 PM
This looks like it counts to me. comment, not personal attack. Sorry Eric, I see the bait all over the board, not taking it. the mods know it too.

EricStratton
04-04-2006, 03:09 PM
I'm just pointing it out, you don't have to agree.

Mr. Pink
04-04-2006, 03:11 PM
The lines are the most important part of any team, so if all positions are needed, the lines become most vital by default. Great lines make great QB's, and great RB's, more often than the other way around. Pittsburgh has the best o-line in football, and Seattle isn't far behind, hence the two SB teams. You can point to the QB's, but is either really a "stud?" Rothlisberger is closer to being one than the very average, yet pro-bowl, Hasselback. He is a smart QB, though. NE built a dynasty primarily around the lines, Carolina has had a stud line in recent years, and they have been among the best despite having only one WR, and average RB's. Indy's line played poorly in one game this year, and how did that make Peyton Manning look? He fell apart on the field and at the podium. You can go on and on, but the picture is clear. The old cliche' holds absolutely true in this case; "Games are won and lost in the trenches."

Pittsburgh has the best o-line in football and drafted ONE of their O-linemen in RD1 Kendall Simmons.

Seattle who you tout as second best had Hutchinson who was their second pick in Rd1 and they took Koren Robinson that year prior. And Chris McIntosh who they took Shaun Alexander prior to him in the same draft.

Indy hasn't draft an o-lineman in rd1 since 1997.

Carolina has Jordan Gross as their only 1st round pick on the line.

NE has Logan Mankins who experts laughed about being selected when he was and he didn't show a lot last year. They drafted Woody in RD1 as well but he's in Detroit now.

Denver has 1 Round 1 OLineman in George Foster.

The Bears had ZERO first round picks on their O-line

And the Giants had ZERO first round pick O-lineman.

There's all your division winners in 05 who combine for 6 first round o-lineman in total. SIX out of 40 players in total. So please explain to me HOW our O-line needs to be addressed in the First Round, when we have PLENTY of holes.

TedMock
04-04-2006, 03:26 PM
Pittsburgh has the best o-line in football and drafted ONE of their O-linemen in RD1 Kendall Simmons.

Seattle who you tout as second best had Hutchinson who was their second pick in Rd1 and they took Koren Robinson that year prior. And Chris McIntosh who they took Shaun Alexander prior to him in the same draft.

Indy hasn't draft an o-lineman in rd1 since 1997.

Carolina has Jordan Gross as their only 1st round pick on the line.

NE has Logan Mankins who experts laughed about being selected when he was and he didn't show a lot last year. They drafted Woody in RD1 as well but he's in Detroit now.

Denver has 1 Round 1 OLineman in George Foster.

The Bears had ZERO first round picks on their O-line

And the Giants had ZERO first round pick O-lineman.

There's all your division winners in 05 who combine for 6 first round o-lineman in total. SIX out of 40 players in total. So please explain to me HOW our O-line needs to be addressed in the First Round, when we have PLENTY of holes.
I don't think we should take an o-lineman early in the first round. I think we should focus our team around the o-line. The teams you mentioned have all made the o-line their top priority, which doesn't mean drafting one with every top-10 pick. That's not what I was getting at. I think the lines are the bigger priority. This draft is deep with o-line, so I believe we should go hard in rounds 2-4. If we can drop down somehow, then I'd say to look more seriously at it. We indeed have other holes, but our lines are in such dire straits that we have to make them the primary focus. Matt Bowen is a decent SS who was a solid starter, pre-injury. Royal is a good blocking TE in our supposed, new run-first offense. Of course these could both be upgraded, but the urgency this year is on the lines. We're in a sad state right now.

Drive 4 Five
04-04-2006, 03:49 PM
I hear what you're saying FTY. I think you make some very valid points backed by some strong and credible retorts. Conventionally, linemen usually require some development and often are not taken with that high of a pick unless of course it is an absolutley outstanding player, one you clealry cannot afford to pass up on, the kind of player you envision as an instant starter, a probowl caliber type player, and a stalwart on your line for many many years to come. Given how the draft is not a credible science by any stretch of the imagination, unless you are the rocket science equivalent of a draft expert like ICE, those types of players are extremely rare. In fact, they are as rare as the type of expert we're talking about.

That said, I see nothing wrong with taking the best player available, unless of course it were a situation where you have a probowl running back and draft another RB just because he might be better, or a very deep and solid receiving corp and then take the best WR available simply becuase he is the most talented player on the board. That's just dumb. Conversely, you don't reach for a lineman, albeit a strong one, simply because you have need. You take the best available player who fills a strong need on your football team. In this case, you're right, this team has ALOT of needs and so you take what you can get. I agree 100% and everyone is entitled to their opinion without having to be called out with comments like "you know absolutely nothing about football" or whatever. Not cool.

Drive 4 Five
04-04-2006, 03:52 PM
Good Post.

:posrep:

ICE74129
04-04-2006, 03:53 PM
I'm just pointing it out, you don't have to agree. Pointing out what? When there is an actual personal attack we can address it.

Night Train
04-04-2006, 03:54 PM
Punter would be a luxury pick.

You lose.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-04-2006, 04:45 PM
Actually a lot of people are loving Kevin Everett because of his potential and because of the pedigree that the U ships out, but I am not one of them. I remember Everett as a nancy boy who is very inconsistent, drops way to many balls, and now he has had a major knee injury. You can all cross your fingers, but I don't think this guy is going to impress anyone.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-04-2006, 04:46 PM
Actually a lot of people are loving Kevin Everett because of his potential and because of the pedigree that the U ships out, but I am not one of them. I remember Everett as a nancy boy who is very inconsistent, drops way to many balls, and now he has had a major knee injury. You can all cross your fingers, but I don't think this guy is going to impress anyone.

As far as luxury picks I don't think this team has any. Every position is weak. They need to tear down to build up and that is what I am assuming they will do with this years draft and the type of free agents they went out and got.

Drive 4 Five
04-04-2006, 04:48 PM

All the more reason to take Davis if he is available?

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-04-2006, 04:54 PM
All the more reason to take Davis if he is available?

I wouldn't be upset about it. I think they have bigger needs, but it wouldn't kill me.

JimboIsGod
04-04-2006, 09:29 PM
I would love to have Michael Huff