PDA

View Full Version : Drafting by need 1st (vs want)

mysticsoto
04-04-2006, 03:23 PM
If you are GM and you decide to draft based on our current need (vs want or best available player) how do you go about deciding who to get? I decided to give it a try myself:

Right now 1st rd is so up in the air that it is hard to predict what might happen. Not sure how the FO feels, but personally, I think trading Losman for another QB is trading one unknown for another. Therefore, I would be completely against drafting another QB.

At the RB position, I think we are solid with McGahee, Williams and Gates. If Gates shows improvement, he could move to #2 - otherwise, I'm fine with who we have.

That's 2 positions in which I think we are fine. At LB, Fletcher is getting older but still managing and TKO will be back. We could probably use a developmental prospect, but probably not necessary to grab one on the 1st day.

At TE, with the addition of Royal, and with Euhus and Everett, we should be all set. Therefore, no TE's should be needed - no matter how highly we think of Vernon Davis. I did think about perhaps drafting him as a WR for now...but we have too many holes. It's a shame to let him go, but if he's not gone by the time he comes to us, maybe we can dangle him to the Rams or Cardinals in a trade???

We have people at the WR position - even though we don't have a "star". We'll have to get a developmental prospect. Currently, we have too many WRs on the roster. Had they not signed Josh Reed, I could see getting one sooner, but in all likelihood, the FO doesn't see this as an immediate priority. I have a feeling we'll have to rely on Andre Davis playing better than he has in recent years and Parrish developing better. Mould leaving will affect us more than we think, so we can't wait too long to grab a decent prospect.

We shouldn't need any FBs.

For this year, we are set with CBs but should probably grab a decent prospect in case we let Nate go next year in a cap casualty move.

So what does this leave: DT, OG, S, OT, CB, DE, WR as the top needs (probably in that order).

Personally, I think the 2nd pick should be used to grab a top Guard. I like Davin Joseph, but wouldn't be upset with taking Spencer. Gilles appears to have weight issues and might become another Jamie Nails...he has potential, but I'd go with a more sure thing.

2. OG - Davin Joseph.
3. a)
b)
4. a) \
b) / This assumes we get a 4th for Moulds
7. a)
7. b)

Our biggest hole is at DT in my opinion right now. We saw how bad Anderson did. I'd like to get Bunkley since I'm not sold on Ngata's heart nor his durability. If we could get Bunkley by trading down slightly, I'm all for it. If we can't, I still think we need him and will have to bite the bullet and take him.

1. DT - Bunkley
2. OG - Davin Joseph
3. a)
b)
4. a)
b)
7. a)
7. b)

Now what are our needs: DE, CB, S, OT, WR

At the 3rd rd, the choices should probably revolve around S, OT, WR:

At the 3rd, we'll probably need to grab a tall WR. If we don't grab one quickly, the tall ones will be gone and we will be stuck with what we currently have on our roster - which probably will show a severe degradation without Moulds. We need a tall WR that can go up for the ball and be a red zone threat.

1. DT - Brodrick
2. OG - Davin Joseph
3. a) WR - Derek Hagan
b)
4. a)
b)
7. a)
7. b)

Then, an OT is probably important. If Daryn Colledge is available, grab him. If he weren't, we should take a safety here and grab Guy Whimper in the next round.

1. DT - Brodrick
2. OG - Davin Joseph
3. a) WR - Derek Hagan
3. b) OT - Daryn Colledge
4. a)
4. b)
7. a)
7. b)

Now we should definitely get a safety

1. DT - Brodrick
2. OG - Davin Joseph
3. a) WR - Derek Hagan
4. a) S - Pat Watkins / Greg Blue. I prefer Pat Watkins, but he may be gone in the 3rd. If Daryn Colledge is already taken by the time our second 3rd, I take Pat Watkins with 3b). If not, Greg Blue had a slow 40-time which probably lowered his draft status, but is still a solid tackler and plays quickly...
4. b)
7. a)
7. b)

DE can probably be looked at now for depth and developmental purposes...

1. DT - Brodrick
2. OG - Davin Joseph
3. a) WR - Derek Hagan
4. a) S - Pat Watkins / Greg Blue.
4. b) DE - Victor Adenyaju - 6'4", 274 lbs, 4.86. Has good speed and explosiveness. A great developmental prospect.
7. a)
7. b)

From here on, we should be able to draft best available player. Any sleepers you give hope to?

1. DT - Brodrick
2. OG - Davin Joseph
3. a) WR - Derek Hagan
4. a) S - Pat Watkins / Greg Blue.
4. b) DE - Victor Adenyaju
5. ILB - Fred Keiaho - 5'11", 224 lbs, 4.68. Solid coverage, plays faster than he is timed. Good instincts. Needs to bulk up.
6. CB - David Pittman - 5'11" 182 lbs, 4.44. Good athlete, fluid hips, good ball skills, good special teamer also.
7. a) OG - Chris Kuper - 6'4", 301 lbs, 5.10. Explosive and nasty. Needs to work on strength and conditioning. He's from Alaska, so he won't complain about the cold here. ;) Villarials replacement next year.
7. b) DT - Anthony Montgomery - 6'5", 311 lbs 5.24. Athletic with long arms. Growth potential, but slow. Might project better to OT.

Iehoshua
04-04-2006, 03:26 PM
Great minds...
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=90270