PDA

View Full Version : Mistake by Marv....

OpIv37
04-04-2006, 03:46 PM
If we only get a 5th round draft pick for Moulds, Marv screwed up. It was too obvious that Moulds was going to be released if he didn't find a suitor. Once it became painfully obvious internally that Moulds was not going to restructure, Marv should have publicly said something to the effect of "we want to keep Moulds here but we're trying to reduce his cap hit. If we can't come to an agreement, we'll just have to suck it up".

That would have kept Moulds' value higher, and there was always the option to cut him if no suitor was found. Obviously Marv couldn't say that if restructuring was still a possibility because it would destroy his bargaining position, but internally it was obvious that Moulds wasn't going to restructure at least 6 weeks ago.

We could have gotten more for Moulds if Levy had made it seem like the Bills were going to keep him no matter what (even if that wasn't entirely true).

Iehoshua
04-04-2006, 03:48 PM
I agree, shoulda strongarm'd them into at least a 4th...

Forward_Lateral
04-04-2006, 03:49 PM
Hard to say you are going to keep a player who tells the media he refuses to play for the team. This makes it look like Marv would think every owner and GM in the league is an idiot. Use your head.

THATHURMANATOR
04-04-2006, 03:53 PM
If we only get a 5th round draft pick for Moulds, Marv screwed up. It was too obvious that Moulds was going to be released if he didn't find a suitor. Once it became painfully obvious internally that Moulds was not going to restructure, Marv should have publicly said something to the effect of "we want to keep Moulds here but we're trying to reduce his cap hit. If we can't come to an agreement, we'll just have to suck it up".

That would have kept Moulds' value higher, and there was always the option to cut him if no suitor was found. Obviously Marv couldn't say that if restructuring was still a possibility because it would destroy his bargaining position, but internally it was obvious that Moulds wasn't going to restructure at least 6 weeks ago.

We could have gotten more for Moulds if Levy had made it seem like the Bills were going to keep him no matter what (even if that wasn't entirely true).
It was obvious he would get cut weeks ago. Moulds even stated he was done playing here. How else could Marv have gone about this to make it seem like he would pay a 33 year old WR 10 mil to sit out the year? He tried for a 4th and ended up with a 5th. Did what he could do.

OpIv37
04-04-2006, 03:55 PM
Hard to say you are going to keep a player who tells the media he refuses to play for the team. This makes it look like Marv would think every owner and GM in the league is an idiot. Use your head.

he's still under contract. Marv could have said that he can stay here and sit or a trade can be worked out- anything to make it look like a release was not a possible solution.

Forward_Lateral
04-04-2006, 03:56 PM
he's still under contract. Marv could have said that he can stay here and sit or a trade can be worked out- anything to make it look like a release was not a possible solution.

Jesus. Maybe Marv can turn some water into wine for you too.

OpIv37
04-04-2006, 03:58 PM
Jesus. Maybe Marv can turn some water into wine for you too.

so, you're equating a little public deception with miracles of physics? How hard would it have been for Marv to not mention the words "cutting" or "releasing" in the same sentence as Moulds when there were microphones present?

THATHURMANATOR
Who would have really believed he would have paid him 10 mil to sit out?

ICE74129
I dunno. I remember marv saying they didn't have a firm position (ie it had to be X round) on what pick they would take for moulds. And we still dont have verification on what pick it was

OpIv37
04-04-2006, 03:59 PM
all I hear is "Moulds is still a top tier receiver", "Moulds could have been great if he had consistent coaches/QB's". "Moulds is still a commodity in this league".

Well if all this is true, and we only got a 5th round pick for him, then Marv ****ed up.

OpIv37
04-04-2006, 04:04 PM
Who would have really believed he would have paid him 10 mil to sit out?

if he sits, he doesn't get paid. Plus we have the cap space.

THATHURMANATOR
04-04-2006, 04:05 PM
all I hear is "Moulds is still a top tier receiver", "Moulds could have been great if he had consistent coaches/QB's". "Moulds is still a commodity in this league".

Well if all this is true, and we only got a 5th round pick for him, then Marv ****ed up.
How much did the Eagles get for TO?

THATHURMANATOR
04-04-2006, 04:06 PM
if he sits, he doesn't get paid. Plus we have the cap space.
Then you would be *****ing we didn't get at least a 5th... :str8face:

OpIv37
04-04-2006, 04:07 PM
How much did the Eagles get for TO?

nothing, which is exactly what they deserve for signing that douchebag in the first place. TO is a locker room cancer who destroyed two successful franchises. Moulds may have thrown some fuel on the fire, but the team was imploding anyway. Bad comparison.

deathadder
04-04-2006, 04:07 PM
It true he doesn't get paid, but still he counts 10 million against our cap... By trading him, we save more money oon the cap... just look at it this way... atleast we got something for him, while Philly got nothing for TO....

OpIv37
04-04-2006, 04:08 PM
Then you would be *****ing we didn't get at least a 5th... :str8face:

no, because it never would have come to that. Six teams expressed interest in him- we would have gotten more. I'm just saying it's a legit possibility.

Gunzlingr
04-04-2006, 04:15 PM
no, because it never would have come to that. Six teams expressed interest in him- we would have gotten more. I'm just saying it's a legit possibility.

His agent said their were 6 teams interested, none of them confirmed anything. They were all waithing for his release, then they would swarm over his still warm carcass.

THATHURMANATOR
04-04-2006, 04:16 PM
nothing, which is exactly what they deserve for signing that douchebag in the first place. TO is a locker room cancer who destroyed two successful franchises. Moulds may have thrown some fuel on the fire, but the team was imploding anyway. Bad comparison.
It is the exact same situation to different degrees.

TO is 5 times the player Moulds is also 5 times the hassle so it is very similar if you ask me.

THATHURMANATOR
04-04-2006, 04:20 PM
You believe this but don't believe it is possible they were all just waiting for him to be released?

Bill Cody
04-04-2006, 04:27 PM

Wrong. Marv did a GREAT job to get an early 5th. If it's an early 4th even better. But we were fortunate Houston gave us what they did. The other teams would have just waited for us to cut him.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-04-2006, 04:40 PM
McCardell refused to play for the Buccaneers and Tampa Bay got a 3rd and a 6th for him. The 3rd was the 91st pick. I think Marv was looking for a 4th which would have been the 98th pick. I think that he should get a 4th and if he doesn't I would feel cheated. Moulds is younger and more accomplished than McCardell was.

ICE74129
04-04-2006, 04:41 PM
McCardell refused to play for the Buccaneers and Tampa Bay got a 3rd and a 6th for him. The 3rd was the 91st pick. I think Marv was looking for a 4th which would have been the 98th pick. I think that he should get a 4th and if he doesn't I would feel cheated. Moulds is younger and more accomplished than McCardell was.

I am thinking it is a 5th this year and a possible conditional pick next year.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-04-2006, 04:49 PM
I am thinking it is a 5th this year and a possible conditional pick next year.

I don't think it will be, but you never know.

THATHURMANATOR
04-04-2006, 05:09 PM
For the record they still haven't even confirmed what the trade was for.

OpIv37
04-04-2006, 05:30 PM
You believe this but don't believe it is possible they were all just waiting for him to be released?

dude you totally missed the point- they WERE waiting for him to be released cuz Marv said it publicly. If Marv didn't say that, his value would have been higher because they wouldn't think they could just wait and get him for free.

THATHURMANATOR
04-04-2006, 06:27 PM
No I am not missing the point. Every team in the league knew we wouldn't pay him to sit no matter what. Marv could have said whatever he wanted and it wouldn't have changed anything.

OpIv37
04-04-2006, 07:03 PM
No I am not missing the point. Every team in the league knew we wouldn't pay him to sit no matter what. Marv could have said whatever he wanted and it wouldn't have changed anything.

if he sits HE DOESN'T GET PAID.

Dozerdog
04-04-2006, 07:10 PM
dude you totally missed the point- they WERE waiting for him to be released cuz Marv said it publicly. If Marv didn't say that, his value would have been higher because they wouldn't think they could just wait and get him for free.You are assuming that the other 31 GMs in the league are complete ******s.

I'm pretty sure that they all figured out the Bills weren't going to shell out $15 million over the last two years of his deal.

We shoulda done the same thing with sam Adams and Milloy- we could have recieved Cincy's and Atlanta's 4th rounders as well! :nerd:

Dozerdog
04-04-2006, 07:11 PM
I'm sure E-Mo and his agents could figure out how to put in minimal effort and get his $$.

I think all of you are delusional

Mr. Pink
04-04-2006, 07:14 PM
I'm sure E-Mo and his agents could figure out how to put in minimal effort and get his $$.

I think all of you are delusional

I am with you on this Dozer...he showed up to camp he got a million, he showed up to a couple of games got his dollars while doing whatever he wanted-good, bad or indifferent to team success. Sure the team could fine him, suspend him-not sure on that with new CBA or just let him do it. But he'd still get paid.

To get something out of him is an achievement for Marv and Co. I had thought they'd get nothing out of him and am pleasantly surprised at what did end up happening.

Bill Brasky
04-04-2006, 07:15 PM
His agent said their were 6 teams interested, none of them confirmed anything. They were all waithing for his release, then they would swarm over his still warm carcass.

:hungry:

Dozerdog
04-04-2006, 07:19 PM
The teams interested-

Houston
Philly- have a lot of cap issues- would like to have him but on the cheap
Seattle- Insurance in case the Burelson offer sheet fell through
New England- Only as a cheap vet sign-

Not quite sure on the other two

Dicknoze69
04-04-2006, 07:19 PM
I am with you on this Dozer...he showed up to camp he got a million, he showed up to a couple of games got his dollars while doing whatever he wanted-good, bad or indifferent to team success. Sure the team could fine him, suspend him-not sure on that with new CBA or just let him do it. But he'd still get paid.

To get something out of him is an achievement for Marv and Co. I had thought they'd get nothing out of him and am pleasantly surprised at what did end up happening.

At the beginning of this sage, I thought for sure that we'd cut him. Once I realized there was a trade market, I was hoping for a 4th. So while I'm disappointed we're only getting a 5th, it's much better than what I originally thought.

I'm glad we got something for him, especially since he made it very clear he had desire to play in Buffalo anymore.

OpIv37
04-04-2006, 08:22 PM
something has to give- either Marv ****ed up, or Moulds isn't worth a fraction of what everyone around here has been saying for the last 3 months.

Pick one or the other cuz it can't be both.

cordog
04-04-2006, 09:11 PM

But he would have still counted against the cap. Its funny, just a month ago, we were all waiting for him to be cut and eat 5 mill in dead cap. Today we sit here with no money in dead cap from Eric Moulds, and with an extra 5th round pick and people are still not happy. I think we made out pretty well overall. Would you rather have a 5 mill in dead cap or a 5th round pick and 5 mill?Give me the later.

Bill Cody
04-04-2006, 09:27 PM
something has to give- either Marv ****ed up, or Moulds isn't worth a fraction of what everyone around here has been saying for the last 3 months.

Anyone who thought we'd get more lives in Madden world. Open your eyes and see what happens every year to all the quality vets with big contracts- do they get traded? NO, they get cut. Marv deserves mad props for this deal.

Dozerdog
04-04-2006, 10:19 PM

Can we please join the world of reality here?

As a player- he's prolly wotrth a 3rd.

But This is the NFL- where we have to figure in contract numbers, cap room, cap planning, and so on.

If you want to stick your head in a hole and ignore the reality of the situation, then fine. ***** and moan we lost a good player.

WAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

cland
04-04-2006, 10:39 PM
Another report has come out on a local houston network station, stating that the bills received a 6th rounder not a 5th rounder in trade for moulds.

OpIv37
04-05-2006, 07:23 AM
Can we please join the world of reality here?

As a player- he's prolly wotrth a 3rd.

But This is the NFL- where we have to figure in contract numbers, cap room, cap planning, and so on.

If you want to stick your head in a hole and ignore the reality of the situation, then fine. ***** and moan we lost a good player.

WAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

I'm not *****ing that we lost Moulds. I've been saying since the season ended that his cap hit was too high and he's causing locker room problems. And I got chewed out constantly and told how great Moulds was. Well if he's so ****ing great, why did we only get a 5th?

And I don't buy that cap thing either- teams got an extra 12 MILLION against the cap this year, and teams like the Redskins constantly sign big name players and never get in cap trouble. So if the Texans used the cap as an excuse to reduce Moulds' value, they put one over on Marv.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
04-05-2006, 07:36 AM
Anyone who thought we'd get more lives in Madden world. Open your eyes and see what happens every year to all the quality vets with big contracts- do they get traded? NO, they get cut. Marv deserves mad props for this deal.

Discussion should end here. Absolutely dead on. The draft pick is of litte consequence.

acehole
04-05-2006, 07:40 AM
Ok so let me sumerize...

Those that thought we would get a 5th bravo..

Those that wanted a 4th...oh well....

Those that think we will be worse...short term yes ..long term better off.

Those who think we won't get anybody good in the fifth ...stay tuned...
(may even trade it away....to move up)

Those who think it was a mistake not to hold your ground ...good point I made one about it myself.

Those who think...Marv got what other GM's could NOT get for better players? (T.O)...You got a point we got something...allthough I think we are shy one bucket of chicken...but you never get all you want in this world.
There is a value in removing a distraction from a team that goes beyond draft pick(s).

5th round is a good place for small school prospects anyway...we will find sombody to help there.

In the end b- to c- for pulling this off.

Next topic....