PDA

View Full Version : Channel 4 reports that Bills received a 5th rounder for Moulds.

Nighthawk
04-04-2006, 05:37 PM
Not really as good as I was hoping, but what can you do.

Devin
04-04-2006, 05:37 PM
Boned.

Bill Brasky
04-04-2006, 05:38 PM
you're joking right?

Nighthawk
04-04-2006, 05:40 PM
you're joking right?

Nope, I hope they're wrong.

BAM
04-04-2006, 05:40 PM
Better than nothing I guess.

RedEyE
04-04-2006, 05:42 PM
5th rounder?! Might as well given us one of those scratch lottery cards from the gas station.

Kerr
04-04-2006, 05:42 PM
Then what's this about picks?

RedEyE
04-04-2006, 05:43 PM
The Bills get a 5th pick, and they get to pick the exact day this week Moulds cleans out his locker. What a deal! :up:

clumping platelets
04-04-2006, 05:45 PM
If Clayton is correct, then is possbile that we get a 2007 pick as well.......

BAM
5th rounder?! Might as well given us one of those scratch lottery cards from the gas station.

My fiance's sister won $5K off of one of those a couple weeks ago!

SquishDaFish
Espnews is reporting traded for PICKS. Not just one.

ParanoidAndroid
04-04-2006, 05:48 PM
I'm not surprised at all. I would have liked more, but how much should a team give up for a guy who is likely done in a couple of years? Eric is still good, but he isn't able to win those jump balls like he used to and he isn't going anywhere after the catch anymore as we saw this past year. He did that inside-outside move and everyone just cut him right off. i would have even been okay with just the cap savings. Eric was fun to watch for a few years especially when Flutie was chucking it to him as well as 2002 when he and Peerless were the top tandem in the league. I'll miss him, but moving on is a good thing. He and Johnson are going to be tough to defend this year, but I suspect Eric will fizzle out soon.

RedEyE
04-04-2006, 05:48 PM
My fiance's sister won $5K off of one of those a couple weeks ago!

:rofl:

See, still better than a 5th rounder.

Kerr
04-04-2006, 05:49 PM
Wait until Eric starts lobbying for Tony Banks to be the starter over at Houston.

RedEyE
04-04-2006, 05:51 PM
Wait until Eric starts lobbying for Tony Banks to be the starter over at Houston.

I'd laugh my ass off if Houston drafts either Leinart or Young over Bush. Then a QB controversy insues over Carr and the rookie.

:lolpoint: Moulds

BillsFever21
04-04-2006, 05:52 PM
This is better then nothing but it shows Marv is weak. He wasn't able to stick to his guns and get the 4th rounder.

Whether you liked Donahoe or not he was a better negotiator and would get what he wanted for trades. He stuck to his guns and got a 3rd for Henry along with a first for Price.

Marv is weak and it showed here. He caved in to the Texans demands. Other GM's will know next time they do business with Marv that they will be able to take advantage of him.

cland
04-04-2006, 05:53 PM

banks was cut earlier in the off-season

Meathead
04-04-2006, 05:54 PM
a little hysterical wouldnt you say

Mr. Pink
04-04-2006, 05:54 PM

According to the Texans website, Tony Banks no longer plays for them, I thought they dumped his mediocre behind. So Eric will lobby for Sage Rosenfels to start and say "hey he led a comeback against my team last year!"

HHURRICANE
04-04-2006, 06:08 PM
This is better then nothing but it shows Marv is weak. He wasn't able to stick to his guns and get the 4th rounder.

Whether you liked Donahoe or not he was a better negotiator and would get what he wanted for trades. He stuck to his guns and got a 3rd for Henry along with a first for Price.

Marv is weak and it showed here. He caved in to the Texans demands. Other GM's will know next time they do business with Marv that they will be able to take advantage of him.

I've been telling people for a week that we were only getting a 5th rounder!! Some butt hole even negged me for it!!

Marv did the right thing. He told Eric to find a trade assuming he wouldn't get a better deal than what the Bills were offering. Moulds got a better deal and Marv didn't want to pay a number like that or create waves with a player he had coached.

Fuethermore, Marv was quoted at Pro Day saying he didn't wan't to screw Eric.

Let's move on. 2 months ago if we had cut him nobody would have said a word because we were freeing up 5 million dollars. We got a 5th for a player we were going to cut anyway.

You can't raise the stakes without another interested team!!

By the way this is the same Tom Donohoe that drafted a WR and TE when we needed an OL last year. Geez.

jumpmann
04-04-2006, 06:14 PM
marv is rumored to be bringing in Drew Haddad and giving him a 5 Million dollar sign bonus because he is a great character guy - Did you really think Marv would do any better - Marv caved in because he is weak and you have not seen the end wait until the draft -

Mitchy moo
04-04-2006, 06:14 PM

I'd laugh my ass off if Houston drafts either Leinart or Young over Bush. Then a QB controversy insues over Carr and the rookie.

:lolpoint: Moulds

OMG, that would be so ironic. What really funny is he & JP dismantled the Texans day 1 and found a worse team then the Bills. Then he decides to go to them. Well that shows you the mentality of EM.

HAMMER
04-04-2006, 06:19 PM
marv is rumored to be bringing in Drew Haddad and giving him a 5 Million dollar sign bonus because he is a great character guy - Did you really think Marv would do any better - Marv caved in because he is weak and you have not seen the end wait until the draft -

Marv is weak? LMAO, why ?

BillsFever21
04-04-2006, 06:19 PM
OMG, that would be so ironic. What really funny is he & JP dismantled the Texans day 1 and found a worse team then the Bills. Then he decides to go to them. Well that shows you the mentality of EM.

I still remember him saying that if the Bills don't want to pay him then he midas well play on a contender for less money then to stay in Buffalo.

He thought there would be a big market for him. I think it's funny the only team who made a run for him were the Texans. Shows how highly considered Moulds is around the league.

To get him that cheap if he was worth anything in the eyes of the league there would've been contenders dying to pick up an "elite" WR like Moulds for only a 5th round pick and 3.5 million a year.

Even Philly who doesn't have anybody now that Owens is gone wouldn't even give that up for Moulds. And don't give me the line that they're cheap. They certaintly wern't cheap when Owens was available. They gave up a high draft pick and tons of money to him. The fact is he just isn't very valuable to many people except for some Bills fans who overvalue his abilities.

Devin
04-04-2006, 06:21 PM

News flash genius, had E-Mo been cut (which he would have had this trade not gone through) we would have gotten nothing.

BillsFever21
04-04-2006, 06:24 PM
Now that we have an extra 5.5 million I wonder if there are anymore "up and coming stars" that were backups for years on their previous teams that we can sign for 2 million a year.

Marv must be obsessed with 2 million a year to these guys. All the bums that we signed got about 2-2.5 million a year. What a great deal for a bunch of career backups.

They won't be backups on our team though. We're signing on the cheap and that's why we will fall even further into the ranks of the pathetic teams and even closer to the laughing stock of the NFL. We are the new Bengals. It's been 10 years since we've won a playoff game and 6 years since we've even been in the playoffs.

We are still at least another 3 years away from having a shot. Unless there's a miracle, by the time we have a chance to sniff the playoffs again it will be close to a decade. That is Bengals status there.

Dozerdog
04-04-2006, 06:26 PM
One of the six teams showing interest was Seattle, in case Burelson was retained by the Vikes.

Had Seattle stepped up and paid the 4th round pick for him, the Bills would have only a 4-5 picks higher than what they got from the Texans.

Guys- just be greatful we got anything. i think everyone got spoiled over what we got for Henry. He turned out to be dog**** for the Titians

jumpmann
04-04-2006, 06:26 PM
why not wait it out till draft day - and hold out for a fourth round pick - who says we had to release him - he was one of our best players say what you want - Nate would have left if we didnt franchise him and Willis is warming up the moving van. Marv should have held his ground we would not have cut him and Houston and we are still signing backup - high priced ones at that

Dozerdog
04-04-2006, 06:31 PM
Now that we have an extra 5.5 million I wonder if there are anymore "up and coming stars" that were backups for years on their previous teams that we can sign for 2 million a year.

Marv must be obsessed with 2 million a year to these guys. All the bums that we signed got about 2-2.5 million a year. What a great deal for a bunch of career backups.

They won't be backups on our team though. We're signing on the cheap and that's why we will fall even further into the ranks of the pathetic teams and even closer to the laughing stock of the NFL. We are the new Bengals. It's been 10 years since we've won a playoff game and 6 years since we've even been in the playoffs.

We are still at least another 3 years away from having a shot. Unless there's a miracle, by the time we have a chance to sniff the playoffs again it will be close to a decade. That is Bengals status there.

Dude- these deals are not for 2 million a year.

They have to stretch the total years on the contracts to 5 years (to spread out the bonuses) and have to make the entire deal worth around $10 million to get the signing bonus total up.

You are looking at guys who are making a million or so for the first 2-3 years of the deals, with inflated back-end contracts. If these guys stay around, they will renegotiate or cut them. Just like Sam Adams, Milloy, Campbell, and hundreds of other guys cut for cap reasons every year.

BillsFever21
04-04-2006, 06:31 PM
Christ even Craig Nall got 2 million a season. Not bad for a player who was a 3rd string QB that was unwanted by the Packers.

Marv is so smart he's the only one who can see something special in these players. If Nall was so good then the Packers wouldn't have drafted Rodgers as a replacement for Farve.

Nall probably will be our starter for that simple reason. You don't pay a backup QB 2 million a year.

Some say Marv is being smart. I see it as cheap alternatives because Wilson doesn't wanna fork out the money.

This is what the Bengals and Cardinals did for seasons. Signed a bunch of cheap alternatives and let them play and look where it took them. This is what we're doing now.

But I forgot that Bowens, Royal, Nall and all these other career backups that barely sniffed the field or only started because of injuries are on the verge of stardom. At least Ralph and Marv were able to make some people believe it so we can sell some tickets this season.

realdealryan
04-04-2006, 06:32 PM
We got a 5th for a player we were going to cut anyway.

And there it is. Let's all move on.

Dozerdog
04-04-2006, 06:33 PM
why not wait it out till draft day - and hold out for a fourth round pick - who says we had to release him - he was one of our best players say what you want - Nate would have left if we didnt franchise him and Willis is warming up the moving van. Marv should have held his ground we would not have cut him and Houston and we are still signing backup - high priced ones at that

If you are Buffalo, you would rather have the 5th rounder and $5.5 million in hand rather than sweat it out.

Houston could easily say- "No Deal" and make the pick, and move on

Marvelous
04-04-2006, 06:37 PM
Total access justreported that buffalo will recieve "picks" too. But ima thinking that just means it's not a player-player trade.. One can only hope...

ICE74129
04-04-2006, 06:39 PM
Total access justreported that buffalo will recieve "picks" too. But ima thinking that just means it's not a player-player trade.. One can only hope...

I still think a 5th this year and a conditional 4th or so next year.

Nighthawk
04-04-2006, 06:40 PM
I still think a 5th this year and a conditional 4th or so next year.

Would be nice, but look at my signature...and ask yourself the question. Does Marv pass or fail this test? We will see...

Dozerdog
04-04-2006, 06:42 PM
I still think a 5th this year and a conditional 4th or so next year. I think Ricky Williams is sharing his stash with you

ICE74129
04-04-2006, 06:50 PM
I think Ricky Williams is sharing his stash with you This coming from the guy that has been saying we would get nothing for him.

Lets just see how it turns out. Maybe it is just the 5th.

cland
04-04-2006, 06:59 PM
An ABC 13 News reporter (Bob Allen) in Houston just reported that it is a 6th round pick that was traded, not a 5th.

Dozerdog
04-04-2006, 07:00 PM
This coming from the guy that has been saying we would get nothing for him.

Lets just see how it turns out. Maybe it is just the 5th.
I never said they wouldn't get anything for him.

What I said was, If I were the Texans I wouldn't offer much for him. Definately not the 97th pick in the draft.

I'm estatic we got a 5th.

Get it right, Ice.

Mr. Miyagi
04-04-2006, 07:02 PM
Yeah but TD also got robbed for the Losman pick giving up 2nd, 5th, and a 2006 1st!

HAMMER
04-04-2006, 07:09 PM
Yeah but TD also got robbed for the Losman pick giving up 2nd, 5th, and a 2006 1st!

We didn't "give up" a 1st rounder in that deal, just the 2nd and 5th.

Nighthawk
04-04-2006, 07:20 PM
An ABC 13 News reporter (Bob Allen) in Houston just reported that it is a 6th round pick that was traded, not a 5th.

If this is true (who knows at this point), then Marv has failed. I would have kept Moulds and forced the issue. If he wants to sit, let him sit for a year and guess what? He's then 34 next year and he is screwed. The players control way too many things in this league and it would be nice to see management stick it to them once and a while and not let them get their way all the time. To say that Buffalo had no bargaining power is just not true. They had the cap space and did not, I repeat, did not HAVE to trade Moulds. Thus, getting only a 6th rounder for him is awful.

Dozerdog
04-04-2006, 07:22 PM
If this is true (who knows at this point), then Marv has failed. I would have kept Moulds and forced the issue. If he wants to sit, let him sit for a year and guess what? He's then 34 next year and he is screwed. The players control way too many things in this league and it would be nice to see management stick it to them once and a while and not let them get their way all the time. To say that Buffalo had no bargaining power is just not true. They had the cap space and did not, I repeat, did not HAVE to trade Moulds. Thus, getting only a 6th rounder for him is awful.

and what would the point of keeping him around be again?

Might as well burn the money instead of use it. if no trade agreement was reached, he would have been cut

Tatonka
04-04-2006, 07:45 PM
why couldnt buffalo just give him the contract that he signed with houston?

DraftBoy
04-04-2006, 07:52 PM
why couldnt buffalo just give him the contract that he signed with houston?

He wouldnt have signed it here. He was only staying here (at first) at his current deal he refused to take any pay cut.

Turf
04-04-2006, 08:32 PM
I still remember him saying that if the Bills don't want to pay him then he midas well

:scratch:

Nighthawk
04-04-2006, 08:32 PM
and what would the point of keeping him around be again?

Might as well burn the money instead of use it. if no trade agreement was reached, he would have been cut

Good point...like they have used the money they have. :rolleyes:

Ickybaluky
04-04-2006, 08:42 PM

It would be even better if Houston traded for Losman.

Ickybaluky
04-04-2006, 08:46 PM
Good point...like they have used the money they have. :rolleyes:

Actually they have. Before the trade the Bills were near the bottom of the league in cap room, according to AdamJT13 (http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=33774) (he has inside info is is very accurate).

After the Moulds trade the Bills end up around middle of the league in cap room. The average for every team is currently about $9.5M.

Nighthawk
04-04-2006, 08:50 PM
Actually they have. Before the trade the Bills were near the bottom of the league in cap room, according to AdamJT13 (http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=33774) (he has inside info is is very accurate).

After the Moulds trade the Bills end up around middle of the league in cap room. The average for every team is currently about $9.5M.

That's what happens when you give a bunch of mediocre players money...it gets eaten up. My point was that they are not targeting any impact players, so the point makes no sense.

Gunzlingr
04-04-2006, 10:05 PM
That's what happens when you give a bunch of mediocre players money...it gets eaten up. My point was that they are not targeting any impact players, so the point makes no sense.

Which brings me back to the same question I have asked a hundred times: What "Impact" players were we supposed to sign? The ones that got HUGE contracts from 3x the cap room? The ones that are well over 30? As far as I can tell, you can spend your money on middle of the road guys that will help fill your needs, or break the bank on 1 or 2 flashy players and still not have squat. I guess I choose the former over the latter.

Dozerdog
04-04-2006, 10:10 PM
I Guess Steve Huchison was supposed to sign that 5 year, 10 million dollar deal we were supposed to offer him

:rolleyes:

Ickybaluky
04-04-2006, 10:13 PM

No offense, but that is rediculous. How many "impact" players do you think are out there? Most teams don't let their impact guys go to free agency, so it is a sellers market.

I think the best strategy is to get the core guys in the draft. You use free agency to build depth and fill some holes. You are better off having a solid roster top to bottom than having a few great players and crap otherwise.

I understand the frustration around here, for it has been a while since you guys have really been competing for anything. However, you really have to let the current regime put the team together and see what the results will be.

For what is is worth, I think the key will be finding a QB. I think the Bills defense will be competitive again, although they need to find some help up front in the draft. ST obviously is a strong point. Offensively, OL is a concern, but you can build an OL with time. It is a matter of finding the right guys and letting them play together. However, you guys still need a QB that will be here the next few years to build around.

I think the best chance to find that guy is Losman, although it is hard to say if he can play or not given his career thus far. He seems a little flighty to me, but at least he has a chance to be something. IMO, Holcomb and Nall are backups, neither being a guy who is a long-term solution.

You guys have to find that QB. But, hey, I'm rambling.

realdealryan
04-04-2006, 11:38 PM
5th?
6th?
7th?

WHO CARES? It's that or NOTHING. A player who is not in demand who EVERYBODY knows will get cut isn't worth much. I'm surprised we got anything for him. Any draft pick vs. paying this douchenuts $7mil+ to sit and bring the team down is a win in my book.

You can't reasonably bail out on Marv yet. The guy brought too much good to our Bills to give up on him before the season has begun.

Kerr
04-05-2006, 12:38 AM
According to the Texans website, Tony Banks no longer plays for them, I thought they dumped his mediocre behind. So Eric will lobby for Sage Rosenfels to start and say "hey he led a comeback against my team last year!"

I wasn't aware banks was cut, but anyway

:rofl: moulds won't dissapoint in politics.

McD
04-05-2006, 12:44 AM

Bad analogy in regards to Henry. TH was what 26 and still in his prime and had a small base salary. This would have allowed TD to stick to his guns without losing much if Henry chose to sit out. EM however is past his prime, openly said he would never play for the Bills again (ploy perhaps), and had a HUGE salary to deal with. Almost all GM's knew that it was only a matter of time before Marv had to just cut EM go with zero compensation. Hell, I wanted a 4th (minimum), but we have to be realistic....Marv never even had guns to stick to on this one.

ddaryl
04-05-2006, 01:06 AM
I find it hard to believe we would pull the trigger on the EM trade for only a 5th 3 weeks before the draft.

Common Sense says its better to wait till the last moment and see what might happen. Even if we couldn't trade EM in 3 weeks it wouldn't matter much since we're only getting a #5 pick.

Nublar7
04-05-2006, 01:24 AM
Confirmed:

Bills | Team acquires 2006 fifth-round pick for Moulds
Tue, 4 Apr 2006 23:11:20 -0700
<A href="http://www.kffl.com/link/190">Megan Manfull, of the Houston Chronicle (http://www.kffl.com/link/140), reports the Houston Texans (http://www.kffl.com/team/18/nfl) traded a fifth-round pick in the 2006 NFL Draft (http://www.kffl.com/link/159) to the Buffalo Bills (http://www.kffl.com/team/9/nfl) in exchange for WR Eric Moulds (http://www.kffl.com/player/224/nfl).

McD
04-05-2006, 01:33 AM
Maybe the Bills can now package their two 5ths for another (early-mid) 4th?

SABURZFAN
04-05-2006, 01:42 AM
We didn't "give up" a 1st rounder in that deal, just the 2nd and 5th.

we gave up the 1st in 05 for losman with the 04 2nd and 5th.

Ickybaluky
04-05-2006, 05:14 AM
Here is the Houston Chronicle (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/3772027.html) article reporting it as a 5th.

SquishDaFish
04-05-2006, 05:20 AM
Awesome rambling post NE AWESOME! But JP will be the QB and will be a good one with some playing experience.

chernobylwraiths
04-05-2006, 05:56 AM
My two cents.

Marv blinked. He got schooled by a much more savy GM who really sold him on the "nobody else is bidding" philosophy. Houston really wanted him and knew the Bills would take just about anything rather than letting him walk for nothing. They also knew that had Moulds been cut, their chance of signing him goes WAY down as other teams would probably be willing to part with more money, they just didn't want to lose the draft pick. I think Marv could have waited for at least another week or two.

Water under the bridge. Now how silly do all the people who just wanted to cut Moulds feel and who were crying about him still being on the roster taking up valuable cap space?

The most upsetting thing to me is that with all the crying Moulds and his "advisor" did about his contract, he took less money to go to a worse team. That is a damned shame. Time to move on now.