• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BuffaloRanger
    WORK HARD. PLAY HARD. LIVE HARD.
    • Mar 2003

How are the Bills a better team now?

Now I'm a diehard Bills fan, but as I see it, this has been a disappointing offseason. They still have so many holes to fill, or should I say fill with a real player, not a warm body.

At most the Bills might get one impact player in the draft, maybe two, if the 2nd rounder can start right away. Is anyone optimistic that the Bills can win more than 5 games this year?

So far they have...

Replaced Moulds with a 4th rd pick (maybe 5th) and Andre "ain't never done nothin" Davis.

Indy's Backup DT to replace Adams.

Redskins backup Safety to replace Milloy.

Journeyman TE to replace Campbell's 19 catches. Yeah I know Everett might make it past the first mini camp this year.

Vikings Backup Center (when Birk is healthy) to replace Teague.

So no obvious improvement to be excited about, just bringing in Backups to fill holes.

Which brings me to Nall, he of 33 NFL passes. What's better than a QB controversy? A three headed QB controversy of course. I doubt one will win the job outright. It will come down to who doesn't play the worst. With a new "savior" annointed every other week.

Someone please give me a few reasons to be excited about this season. Besides the dorks that will say "Real fans always support their team no matter what." I support them just fine, I'm just not living in a "Bills can make the playoffs" dream world.
    Buffalo Only and Always.
  • Jan Reimers
    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
    • May 2003

Re: How are the Bills a better team now?

You forgot that we have also lost a lot of depth in Edwards and Bannan at DT and have replaced Lawyer Milloy with the journeyman Matt Bowen.

Let's hope for a big draft and the rapid development of several of our young players.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
      You forgot that we have also lost a lot of depth in Edwards and Bannan at DT and have replaced Lawyer Milloy with the journeyman Matt Bowen.

Let's hope for a big draft and the rapid development of several of our young players.
      Losing Edwards and Bannan is a gain, in my eyes. Now we can try and replace them with actual talent.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• alohabillsfan
        • Sep 2003

You forgot the biggest!

Tom Donahoe and Mularkey! GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is addition by subtraction!

Now if they would just hire ICE as a
        Draft consultant
        Cap consultant
        Offensive coor consultant
        Defensive coor consultant
        Special teams coor consultant
        Strength and conditioning consultant
        We would rule the world!

Comment

• Nighthawk
          Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
          • Jul 2002

In my opinion, they're not any better. It is a going to be a tough year and I don't see much here for the future either. I am not the biggest Marv supporter and his moves are not making me feel any different.

Comment

• THE END OF ALL DAYS
            The Allen Era has begun.... no looking back now, come hell or high water!
            • Feb 2005

YOu know.... with the disenchantment of the fan base, the only thing that will get people pumped again is a monster first pick in the draft...

this could mean a QB as #1....

As a PR move this would make people excited again. BUT.. I dont see Marv as a PR concious guy.
            In my day we did not have self-esteem... we had self-respect, and no more of it then we earned.

Comment

• Tatonka
              • Jul 2002

really the only thing we can hope for is rapid developement of our players due to good coaching.

and another thing to think about is that almost every player in the nfl was a back up at some point.

but i know it doesnt make you feel any better.. it doesnt make me feel better either. i am disappointed, but no sense in dwelling on it..

i was listening to siruis radio yesterday and they were raving about how the texans got a steal.. that a 4-5 round pick was nothing for moulds because they couldnt get that kind of talent in the draft at that spot and they were saying that houston has a much brighter future than buffalo.. then they basically went over the entire list you did, ranger.. and shine and solomon were both like "what the hell are they doing???"

honestly, i can see exactly why a guy like moulds wanted to get the hell out of dodge. we do look like we are going to play musical qbs again this season. we might need a number one wr now.. questions at oline and TE.. we have 3 players out of 9 on the Dline that are capable of starting.. which might not be so bad, but they talk about all the rotating they want to do.. with who? our LBs are getting old (fletch), injuried (spikes), or average (posey). our secondary has two good corners, but safety is a question at least at ss, and vincent is 35?

ugh. really depressing.

"All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Tatonka
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by keithtr
                YOu know.... with the disenchantment of the fan base, the only thing that will get people pumped again is a monster first pick in the draft...

this could mean a QB as #1....

As a PR move this would make people excited again. BUT.. I dont see Marv as a PR concious guy.

if that is the case, it will just show what a collosal failure another first round pick, jp, has been, and that the current coaching staff was not able to do anything to help him.

by the time another qb gets in here and gets going, if he isnt a bust, our rb and wrs will all be FAs and gone.

i dont know why people get so excited over taking qbs so high.. the bust factor is tremendous.

i think you should just draft like 3 of them on the second day and hope.. like throwing darts at a dartboard.
                "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• X-Era
                  What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by BuffaloRanger
                  Now I'm a diehard Bills fan, but as I see it, this has been a disappointing offseason. They still have so many holes to fill, or should I say fill with a real player, not a warm body.

At most the Bills might get one impact player in the draft, maybe two, if the 2nd rounder can start right away. Is anyone optimistic that the Bills can win more than 5 games this year?

So far they have...

Replaced Moulds with a 4th rd pick (maybe 5th) and Andre "ain't never done nothin" Davis.

Indy's Backup DT to replace Adams.

Redskins backup Safety to replace Milloy.

Journeyman TE to replace Campbell's 19 catches. Yeah I know Everett might make it past the first mini camp this year.

Vikings Backup Center (when Birk is healthy) to replace Teague.

So no obvious improvement to be excited about, just bringing in Backups to fill holes.

Which brings me to Nall, he of 33 NFL passes. What's better than a QB controversy? A three headed QB controversy of course. I doubt one will win the job outright. It will come down to who doesn't play the worst. With a new "savior" annointed every other week.

Someone please give me a few reasons to be excited about this season. Besides the dorks that will say "Real fans always support their team no matter what." I support them just fine, I'm just not living in a "Bills can make the playoffs" dream world.
                  Your on the money. So far, we TANGIBLY are worse than last year.

1) TD for Marv- push or downgrade. We hated TD, but he made good moves at times too. Henry for a 3rd, Price for a 1st. Marv just traded Moulds for a 5th, TD would have held out for more and probably gotten it. Marv hasnt shown any better prowess in FA either. Marv at the draft? he will need to do alot to be an upgrade. McGahee, Evans, Losman.

2) Mularkey for Jauron- probably an upgrade. Jauron at least has experience that the players must respect.

3) Mike Williams for ?- so far its a downgrade, the draft is coming up.

4) Moulds for Andre Davis- downgrade. Davis hasnt proven to be Moulds caliper. For now its a downgrade.

5) Adams for Tripplett- upgrade. But we needed another DT even when Adams was here. We still are short a DT. Trip is on the right side of 30 though.

6) Milloy for Bowen- downgrade. Who is Matt Bowen again? maybe this guy comes in and plays great, but at least Milloy had some respect.

7) Campbell for Royal- if Royal can block, upgrade. Campbell NEVER impressed me.

So, if Marv can manage to score some great players out of the draft, this season wont look to be worse overall. But right now, its looking that we could be terrible. Hope springs eternal, we need a great draft.

Come on Marv!

Comment

• dannyek71
                    Drink Responsibly
                    • Dec 2004

im glad to see we are doing what we are. Marv isnt surgar coating it. This team has MAJOR holes. We are not one or 2 big name FA away from the playoffs.

Lets building up like good teams do, through the draft and save cap space. It will take a few down years, but we should be alright as long as we stick to our guns.
                    [

Comment

• Pride
                      • Jul 2002

Why save cap space? You can't use it next year!

Comment

• ICE74129
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Pride
                        Why save cap space? You can't use it next year!
                        YES you can! In fact that is exactly what marv plans to do. We have a shot at being about 21 mill under the cap. Let RW come up with some SB money between now and then and watch what happens.

THERE IS NO ONE OUT THERE RIGHT NOW WORTH SIGNING! That is also the issue. so what we now have 14 mill in cap room. You want to spend it on who? We weren't going to outbid other teams for the top FA's THIS year. If we can show improvement on the field, the players start telling other players how cool it is to play under DJ AND we have cap room, Now we can start signing some top FA's.

It is a two offseason process.

Comment

• ICE74129
                          Legendary Zoner
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by jp-era
                          Your on the money. So far, we TANGIBLY are worse than last year.

1) TD for Marv- push or downgrade. We hated TD, but he made good moves at times too. Henry for a 3rd, Price for a 1st. Marv just traded Moulds for a 5th, TD would have held out for more and probably gotten it. Marv hasnt shown any better prowess in FA either. Marv at the draft? he will need to do alot to be an upgrade. McGahee, Evans, Losman.

Pure and absolute crap. 31-49 under TD, fan revolt, player revolt. No fuggin way are we worse off. We are much better off with marv in charge.

2) Mularkey for Jauron- probably an upgrade. Jauron at least has experience that the players must respect.

He is an upgrade and what you leave out is his assistant coaches are MUCH better than we have had here in quite some time

3) Mike Williams for ?- so far its a downgrade, the draft is coming up.

How the hell is it a down grade? The Fat POS is our 1st or 2nd worst draft pick in Bills history. he is a worthless POS. Just cutting him made us immediately better.

4) Moulds for Andre Davis- downgrade. Davis hasnt proven to be Moulds caliper. For now its a downgrade.

Well this isn't engineering so I don't think his 'calipers' count for much on the field. That said, getting moulds out of that locker room immediately made it better. Sometimes what you get rid of is more important than what you bring in. See TD, MM, Moulds, Williams.

5) Adams for Tripplett- upgrade. But we needed another DT even when Adams was here. We still are short a DT. Trip is on the right side of 30 though.

Finally there is a correct one

6) Milloy for Bowen- downgrade. Who is Matt Bowen again? maybe this guy comes in and plays great, but at least Milloy had some respect.

You better look at Bowens 03 stats and his 04 stats before getting hurt. Damn good leader, 4.37 40 time coming out of college. 6'1" 206 and one of the harder hitting safety's in the league.

7) Campbell for Royal- if Royal can block, upgrade. Campbell NEVER impressed me.

Good point #2

So, if Marv can manage to score some great players out of the draft, this season wont look to be worse overall. But right now, its looking that we could be terrible. Hope springs eternal, we need a great draft.

Come on Marv!
                          right now by canning TD, MM, Clements, Gray, Krumrie, Adams, Milloy, Campbell, Moulds and Adams we have improved. Crappy GM, Crappy coaching and over the hill / problem older players are all gone. that IS an upgrade.

Comment

• Ickybaluky
                            • Jul 2003

You can roll cap space over using the incentive rules.

However, keep in mind with the new CBA that all teams are going to have cap space. Even now, there is an average of $10M in cap room per team this late in the year. Next year, the cap rises again, so cap room won't be an issue for the majority of teams.

Comment

• ICE74129
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by alohabillsfan
                              You forgot the biggest!

Tom Donahoe and Mularkey! GONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is addition by subtraction!

Now if they would just hire ICE as a
                              Draft consultant
                              Cap consultant
                              Offensive coor consultant
                              Defensive coor consultant
                              Special teams coor consultant
                              Strength and conditioning consultant
                              We would rule the world!
                              Nah I am too calm and patient for you guys. I would be doing what Marv is, taking my time, mid tier FA's, Address the lines in the draft, go to camp. Then Next offseason have less needs but more clear cut in what needs to be addressed. Then use FA and the draft to address them, go to camp and play ball.

Comment

Working...
                              X