PDA

View Full Version : Respected coach weighs in on how long it takes

X-Era
04-05-2006, 07:10 AM
Excerpt from the MSNBC article on Losman out.

During the NFL owners meetings, Billick said he subscribes to the belief that a quarterback needs at least 30 games of action before you can make a real determination about what type of player he is.“When I was doing that book with Bill Walsh, I kept pressing him on how you know when a guy is good and when he isn't,” Billick said. “When's that dividing line? I kept pushing and he said, ‘You just know. You've been there enough and sense that he's either going to get it or he's not going to get it.’ Bill was one that kind of thought that 30- to 32-game marker. If he doesn't get me hope by then, I'll cut my losses and move on. It's not a very exact science.”

I completely agree with this opinion.

jmb1099
04-05-2006, 07:16 AM
No. You can tell after just one game, even underneath bad coaching and a divided lockerroom. You should be able to walk on water by game 2 and by game 5 ressurection from the dead is also a possibility. By game six every pass should be completed either for a first down or a touch down, and by game 8 or 9 you should score 79 points just in the first half, play the saftey position, and stuff the run on every down.

TigerJ
04-05-2006, 07:29 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12126007/

That's the link to the article. I've been a proponent of the idea that Losman needs more time, but the gist of this article, despite the comments from Brian Billick, is that Levy is going to pull the plug on Losman. I'm afraid that with this much smoke, there has to be some fire.

I am not going to question Levy if he releases Losman or trades him for what he can get. Maybe he really doesn't have much choice. But I think it's a sad day for Buffalo if it happens for two reasons. One, it means the inmates are running the asylum at One Bills Drive. Two, it means two wasted years in the search for a solid QB.

Maybe Craig Nall will prove to be that guy, but at this point he's no more proven than Rob Johnson.

Meathead
04-05-2006, 08:01 AM
well if they do ship out jp they better be right cuz if losman blossoms someplace else The Marv will turn into just marv

ICE74129
04-05-2006, 08:01 AM
I have screamed this since week 4 of last year. But the reality is something is wrong. JP must have done something or is doing something that just isn't clicking with OBD.

Then again maybe they want thier own guy.

Meathead
04-05-2006, 08:04 AM
i still believe its just a blown out of proportion thing tho. marv tried to find out what he could get and now everybodys talking like he shoved jp in front of the team bus

unless he gets some lightning strike deal, like a third rounder or better, it would be stupid to move jp right now. marv isnt stupid, therefore it wont happen

ICE74129
04-05-2006, 08:06 AM
i still believe its just a blown out of proportion thing tho. marv tried to find out what he could get and now everybodys talking like he shoved jp in front of the team bus

unless he gets some lightning strike deal, like a third rounder or better, it would be stupid to move jp right now. marv isnt stupid, therefore it wont happen

Yeah but why ask? This is pandora's box. How would you feel if you are JP, you check out the websites one night and see the bills are asking what they can get for you? I am sure his agent has been shipping the poor kid prozac by the case load.

Yeah great move. Your young QB has been fugged from day one. Was made the scape goat for all the teams issues last year. New administration/ coaching brings in thier own guy. Now you read this crap?

Nice job helping your young QB gain the confidence he needs to succeed...

X-Era
04-05-2006, 05:53 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12126007/

That's the link to the article. I've been a proponent of the idea that Losman needs more time, but the gist of this article, despite the comments from Brian Billick, is that Levy is going to pull the plug on Losman. I'm afraid that with this much smoke, there has to be some fire.

I am not going to question Levy if he releases Losman or trades him for what he can get. Maybe he really doesn't have much choice. But I think it's a sad day for Buffalo if it happens for two reasons. One, it means the inmates are running the asylum at One Bills Drive. Two, it means two wasted years in the search for a solid QB.

Maybe Craig Nall will prove to be that guy, but at this point he's no more proven than Rob Johnson.

After todays comments from Marv, looks like Brian Billick doesnt think too much different than Marv does.

Just goes to show how much a sports columnist knows versus an NFL head coach.

The_Philster
04-05-2006, 05:56 PM
30 games seems a bit high

G. Host
04-05-2006, 06:16 PM
Naahhh you can do that in 2 years losing every game if you do not get injured or coach gets smart and pulls you trying to win. Brian Billick is a offensive genius which is why his defenses have been carrying team since he got to Baltimore.

HAMMER
04-05-2006, 06:17 PM

Some guys with a lot of talent around them perform earlier, but the game hasn't necessarily slowed for them at that point. Maybe the better number is between 24-30. Either way, the point being it doesn't often happen quickly. I believe organizations often give up on coaches too quickly and the coaches give up on the players too soon.

The_Philster
04-05-2006, 06:19 PM
I don't think that I would expect a QB to play at a top level of play in less than 30 games or so...but I would think you can get a good handle on what type of player he'll be in about a season's worth of starts or so :idunno:

jmb1099
04-05-2006, 06:25 PM
A solid season will give you clues, the following season should provide enough information to know if a third season is a good idea or not. Eli Manning showed a few nice flashes his first year and was fairly decent his second. This should justify a third year. Losman showed flashes his first, lets see how he does his second.