PDA

View Full Version : Spikes decisions to start Friday

BLeonard
02-04-2003, 10:14 PM
Looks like the Bengals will be making a decision on what to do with Takeo Spikes by the end of the week.

From
http://www.bengals.com/press/news.asp?iCurPage=0&news_id=1690

If the Bengals tag linebacker Takeo Spikes with a one-year offer of either $4.8 million or $5.6 million by the Feb. 20 deadline, Lewis hopes he’ll attend the voluntary off-season workouts and each of the one voluntary weekend minicamps in April and May. Spikes had no comment Tuesday night, as well as no comment on former Bengals head coach Dick LeBeau’s job interview in Buffalo, one of Spikes’ potential landing spots.

The Bengals’ first chance to keep Spikes off the free-agent market with a transition designation ($4.8 million) or franchise designation ($5.6 million) comes Friday. They have two weeks to try and get a long-term deal with him because their last day to designate is Feb. 20.

Unlike like the franchise designation, they can take off the transition designation at any point if he doesn’t sign the one-year offer. With the franchise tag, they have the right to match any offer, and if they don’t, they get a first- and third-round pick as compensation. If they make him a transition free agent, they can match, but would not get compensation if they don’t.

(Dick) LeBeau visited Orchard Park Tuesday, but there was no word Tuesday night on the status of talks. The Bills reportedly already covet Spikes, and LeBeau was one of the reasons the Bengals took him in the first round in 1998.

-Bill

Cntrygal
02-04-2003, 10:19 PM
:up:

good find

Bufftp
02-04-2003, 10:20 PM
Its Cincinati-so their is hope.

lunatic_bills_fan
02-05-2003, 05:35 PM
If Spikes really wants out of Cinnci, cant he well, sorta fake like he wants to be there and hope they dont bother with the tag. Then say "bye-bye" after the deadline has passed. If it were me, I think I would have to resort to the faithful JEDI mind tricks on Lewis.

MissBuffalo
02-05-2003, 06:03 PM
He could always retire and then decide he made the wrong decision., so the Bills can pick him up--LOL--can you still do that??

BADTHINGSMAN
02-05-2003, 07:52 PM
Jedi mind tricks? thats good,lol. Of course he still is a FA so if he pulled that he would have to sign with them. So he would be on contract. Of course they are Jedi Mind Tricks Sooo

"there is no contact" lol

Mr. Miyagi
02-05-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by lunatic_bills_fan
If Spikes really wants out of Cinnci, cant he well, sorta fake like he wants to be there and hope they dont bother with the tag. Then say "bye-bye" after the deadline has passed. If it were me, I think I would have to resort to the faithful JEDI mind tricks on Lewis.
Or he can just sign a contract with invisible ink....Grade school stuff, man. :)

Tatonka
02-05-2003, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by BillsFanStuckInWisc

Or he can just sign a contract with invisible ink....Grade school stuff, man. :)

roflmao.. hahaha.. that is classic.. good stuff man

colin
02-06-2003, 11:49 AM
If won't sign a long term contract, Cinci is ******ed for tagging him.

JefftheBillsfan
02-06-2003, 04:35 PM
lol bufftp...great point...it is the bengals..