PDA

View Full Version : Losman stays

northernbillfan
04-05-2006, 03:36 PM
An announcement today from Marv Levy ends the Losman trade speculation.

Full article (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=3697)

"There really is no substance to that report. We've made no overtures to anyone. No one has approached us and even if they did, we have a regard for J.P. He's a young quarterback who has put in that learning time. I can name countless others who have gone through this process. There are many things about him that we like, such as his work ethic, his personal motivation and his skills are all pluses. Part of the good news is that he has yet to reach what he is capable of reaching. So, as we said before, it's an open competition at quarterback and J.P. is very much a part of it and we fully intend to have him in it."

Sounds like Marv is committed to developing him as our QB of the future.

OpIv37
04-05-2006, 03:40 PM
finally- Marv's doing something right.

lordofgun
04-05-2006, 03:41 PM
:bf1:

Although I don't like the open competition.

TacklingDummy
04-05-2006, 03:41 PM
Sounds to me Marv is looking to get a better draft pick for Losman.

Marv, " There are many things about him that we like, such as his work ethic, his personal motivation and his skills are all pluses.", We will take nothing less then a 2nd rounder for Losman. We still like him but if the price is right then, SEE YA.

justasportsfan
04-05-2006, 03:43 PM
where's Ice and his reports?

hydro
04-05-2006, 03:46 PM
About time this is nipped in teh butt

DraftBoy
04-05-2006, 03:49 PM
Sounds good if its true only time will tell

ICE74129
04-05-2006, 03:52 PM
where's Ice and his reports? right here. Pat Kirwan on NFLN, Sirius etc reported that he heard JP was being shopped. ESPN, Yahoo, D&C etal reported it as well.

ICE74129
04-05-2006, 03:55 PM
An announcement today from Marv Levy ends the Losman trade speculation.

Full article (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=3697)

Sounds like Marv is committed to developing him as our QB of the future.

GOOD! Now, will he grow up and mature enough to unseat Nall and holcomb? Marv can talk good about him all he wants, JP has to flat show some SERIOUS increase in mental abilities if he is going to get the job this time.

Now that marv has said that...FIX THE DAMN LINES!!!!

northernbillfan
04-05-2006, 03:56 PM
The article alludes to the speculation that came out of the NFL meetings a few weeks ago. Marv finally stood up and said his piece today.

Too bad he doen't peruse the Zone, he would have felt compelled tomake a statement last week.

Michael82
04-05-2006, 03:57 PM
Finally! :bf1:

At least the final Anti-JP Losman player was sent out of here. That should help Losman try to develop a better relationship with the players. Now it's up to JP to work his ass off and win the job. :up:

Come on JP, you can do it! :pray:

Gunzlingr
04-05-2006, 03:58 PM
ICE disagrees!

Iehoshua
04-05-2006, 04:02 PM
"Open competition" is PR fluff. Marv made his choice when he traded Moulds, let go of Sam, Lawyer and anyone else who was anti-JP in the locker room.

You're either with the Bills, or you're against JP.

:up:

Marv is officially a deputized member of the J.P.D.

Billsrock4life
04-05-2006, 04:04 PM
good 2 hear it would've made me sick if they traded him

BAM
04-05-2006, 04:05 PM
I'm gonna have to change my sig now. :sadwalk:

Saratoga Slim
04-05-2006, 04:09 PM
Two birds with one stone: we can also quit the damn "are we gonna draft Vince Young" chatter. thank god.

DBrown77
04-05-2006, 04:10 PM
I am glad Marv spoke up...These rumors are just another thing that can detroy JP's confidence. Not having support from the team is NOT good

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
04-05-2006, 04:13 PM
You have to wonder about the timing.

It's just odd.

I think JP is on the block, but not at a give away price. Someone would have
to present something very substantial to take him, which I doubt will happen.
JP just hasn't proven enough for someone to take a chance.

I think a team in need of a QB who can't afford one of the "big 3" rookies
would look to Marcus Vick or other guys before they would give up much for JP.

That said, I really would like to see JP come in to camp and tear things up.
Year 3 is said to be the magic year for QBs, and even though this will be more
like year 2, I think the extra year being around the team and watching NFL defenses work helps.

At this point, I don't see any QB on our roster having any type of an advantage.
Heck, even Woodbury could make the team as a #3.

I won't be surprised if we do have another QB in camp, whether that be a vet or a rookie. With a new OC, everyone is on the same learning curve.

Michael82
04-05-2006, 04:18 PM
"Open competition" is PR fluff. Marv made his choice when he traded Moulds, let go of Sam, Lawyer and anyone else who was anti-JP in the locker room.

I was thinking the same thing. Good post! :bf1:

Iehoshua
04-05-2006, 04:24 PM
In retrospect, I think it sounds better to say..

"You're either with JP, or you're against the Bills."

New J.P.D. slogan!

Dr. Lecter
04-05-2006, 04:28 PM
finally- Marv's doing something right.

I know. He has never done anything else right.

ICE74129
04-05-2006, 04:31 PM
ICE disagrees!

How do you figure? Marv finally flat said it wasn't true. I gotta take the old fart at his word. Until he said something several media reports said the same about him being shopped.

justasportsfan
04-05-2006, 04:34 PM
right here. Pat Kirwan on NFLN, Sirius etc reported that he heard JP was being shopped. ESPN, Yahoo, D&C etal reported it as well.that's why you wait for the credible people to say something. So are you back on the JP bandwagon?

ICE74129
04-05-2006, 04:34 PM

Exactly. I thought marv was going to go Army on us and clean out all involved.

But you bring up the point EVERY ONE of the so called 'Veterans' that lead the locker room BS against JP is now gone. Interesting huh? I don't think marv can send a clearer message? There is a professional way to handle things and causing a mutany in the locker room and throwing a team mate under the bus won't cut it here.

justasportsfan
04-05-2006, 04:36 PM

Marv is officially a deputized member of the J.P.D. :snicker:

Devin
04-05-2006, 04:37 PM

Nice work Marv :up:

justasportsfan
04-05-2006, 04:37 PM
In retrospect, I think it sounds better to say..

"You're either with JP, or you're against the Bills."

New J.P.D. slogan!

:bf1:I wouldn't go that far. Marv did bring in Nall.

ICE74129
04-05-2006, 04:38 PM
that's why you wait for the credible people to say something. So are you back on the JP bandwagon?

Lets clear this up. 1) I reported what was said/ what made it onto the internet. Pat Kirwan 3 weeks ago broke this aledged story. I posted he said it. So what? That is what you do on a message board. Several of us posted the Yahoo story, D&C etc.

I have never been off of the JP bandwagon. I tried to see both sides of why he could possibly be let go or kept. I am also the guy that has been VERY Vocal about JP needs this entire season at QB. NO pulling him, No looking over his shoulder. 100% his, win lose or draw. that is the only way we will know what he has.

Now here is reality, JP isn't ready yet. He has this spring to show the coaches a ton of improvement decision making wise, and he better learn to grow up and become a leader. I can tell you this, if he doesn't He will be gone this next offseason and Nall is the guy.

Drive 4 Five
04-05-2006, 04:39 PM
Sounds to me Marv is looking to get a better draft pick for Losman.

Marv, " There are many things about him that we like, such as his work ethic, his personal motivation and his skills are all pluses.", We will take nothing less then a 2nd rounder for Losman. We still like him but if the price is right then, SEE YA.

TD? I just want to say thanks bub. With that comment, I am officially adding you to my IGNORE list. Not that you care, casue we are all entitled to an opinion and it is nothing personal but I refuse to subject myself to these types of comments again. Ever. Not from you. I can't. I won't.

I would encourage the rest of you to do the same. It felt pretty damn good. I mean it felt really good. God I love that feature. It has really gone a long way in helping me to deal with...well...my issues with some of the stuff that gets posted here. No more hard feelings. Just hit that little button and move on. Thanks again.

See ya TD.

:bigwave:

ICE74129
04-05-2006, 04:39 PM
Two birds with one stone: we can also quit the damn "are we gonna draft Vince Young" chatter. thank god.

AMEN!

justasportsfan
04-05-2006, 04:41 PM
Exactly. I thought marv was going to go Army on us and clean out all involved.

But you bring up the point EVERY ONE of the so called 'Veterans' that lead the locker room BS against JP is now gone. Interesting huh? I don't think marv can send a clearer message? There is a professional way to handle things and causing a mutany in the locker room and throwing a team mate under the bus won't cut it here. I don't think it was meant as a personal vendetta against Jp the way you think it is. They wanted to win, Jp was part of the reason we weren't.

Marv wants new blood. Not Vets who could turn on him or Dick. Until I see Marv come out and say , "it was because of JP that he let them go" you're speculating.

justasportsfan
04-05-2006, 04:42 PM
Lets clear this up. 1) I reported what was said/ what made it onto the internet. Pat Kirwan 3 weeks ago broke this aledged story. I posted he said it. So what? That is what you do on a message board. Several of us posted the Yahoo story, D&C etc.

I have never been off of the JP bandwagon. I tried to see both sides of why he could possibly be let go or kept. I am also the guy that has been VERY Vocal about JP needs this entire season at QB. NO pulling him, No looking over his shoulder. 100% his, win lose or draw. that is the only way we will know what he has.

Now here is reality, JP isn't ready yet. He has this spring to show the coaches a ton of improvement decision making wise, and he better learn to grow up and become a leader. I can tell you this, if he doesn't He will be gone this next offseason and Nall is the guy.Next time, don't believe those reports and start acting like Jp is already gone :up:

shelby
04-05-2006, 04:43 PM
:phew:

i'm on the JP bandwagon:D

ICE74129
04-05-2006, 04:43 PM
I don't think it was meant as a personal vendetta against Jp the way you think it is. They wanted to win, Jp was part of the reason we weren't.

Marv wants new blood. Not Vets who could turn on him or Dick. Until I see Marv come out and say , "it was because of JP that he let them go" you're speculating.

LMAO ok accountant. You are one of those guys that just doesnt' get it. Marv will NEVER say that although its more than apperant this is the case. And it saved us cap room.

I know what the vets wanted, but the point missed is this....you NEVER turn on a team mate and take matters into your own hands. there is a professional way to do things. Moulds and co acted like a bunch of High schoolers.

Drive 4 Five
04-05-2006, 04:48 PM

Although I don't like the open competition.

Oh stop. C'mon LOG. C'mon brother. A little healthy competiton never hurt anyone. Well except for when Tackling Dummy and Skooby began competing for some of the worst posts of all time, that was painful for all of us. But otherwise?

Now don't get me wrong, I don't believe that Holcomb qualifies as competition after what we observed last year, Losman is going to tear him up and I would not be surprised if he isn't released before the start of the season, but Nall and a fourth QB might offer up a pretty good challenge. In the end, I'll stick with the JPD.

JPD! JPD! JPD!

justasportsfan
04-05-2006, 04:50 PM
LMAO ok accountant. You are one of those guys that just doesnt' get it. Marv will NEVER say that although its more than apperant this is the case. And it saved us cap room.

I know what the vets wanted, but the point missed is this....you NEVER turn on a team mate and take matters into your own hands. there is a professional way to do things. Moulds and co acted like a bunch of High schoolers.
Sam Adams, Milloy and Cambell does not fit the system plus they are on the downside of their career. You're reply to that is that they wanted JP gone? Marv wanted to keep Moulds. :tongue: You don't get it obviously.

The_Philster
04-05-2006, 04:51 PM
I knew Marv was smarter than to dump him so quickly :up::bf1:

Drive 4 Five
04-05-2006, 04:52 PM

:up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

Drive 4 Five
04-05-2006, 04:55 PM
I knew Marv was smarter than to dump him so quickly :up::bf1:

You mean smarter than some of the experts on this board. Impossible. Not a Harvard graduate who has lost more knowledge of the game than any of us on this forum will ever know. It can't be true.

The_Philster
04-05-2006, 04:56 PM
You mean smarter than some of the experts on this board. Impossible. Not a Harvard graduate who has lost more knowledge of the game than any of us on this forum will ever know. It can't be true.
Yeah...but if he had dumped Losman after only 9 games in which he seemed to be improving, I'd seriously have questioned whether or not he'd gone senile.

Meathead
04-05-2006, 04:58 PM
i think its all crap, mikey. they'll keep jp, theyre just trying to put pressure on other teams for that #8 pick

trust me

go meathead, go meathead, whos yo daddy, its my birfday

Drive 4 Five
04-05-2006, 04:59 PM
But you bring up the point EVERY ONE of the so called 'Veterans' that lead the locker room BS against JP is now gone. Interesting huh? I don't think marv can send a clearer message? There is a professional way to handle things and causing a mutany in the locker room and throwing a team mate under the bus won't cut it here.

Are you sure about that? I could be wrong but I rememeber reading several times how Milloy was very very supportive of Losman, especially while they were rehabbing together.

I honestly think you guys are wrong about that. It was Mould's chice not to be here, I don't ever remember Adams calling Losman out like Moulds, and like I said, Milloy may have actually been supportive.

Drive 4 Five
04-05-2006, 05:04 PM
Sam Adams, Milloy and Cambell does not fit the system plus they are on the downside of their career. You're reply to that is that they wanted JP gone? Marv wanted to keep Moulds. :tongue: You don't get it obviously.

Excellent point JUSTA.

Drive 4 Five
04-05-2006, 05:09 PM
Yeah...but if he had dumped Losman after only 9 games in which he seemed to be improving, I'd seriously have questioned whether or not he'd gone senile.

There is absolutely no way that would have happened. Ever. No freaking way. Look at it this way. Ryan Leaf did not even get dumped that quickly and look at all the crap he pulled, nevermind how rotten his game was. His behavior was out of control. No GM would dump Losman at this point in his development.

When you think about it that way, all that talk was pretty damn ridiculous. Agree?

OpIv37
04-05-2006, 05:11 PM
I know. He has never done anything else right.

not since becoming GM.

The_Philster
04-05-2006, 05:12 PM
There is absolutely no way that would have happened. Ever. No freaking way. Look at it this way. Ryan Leaf did not even get dumped that quickly and look at all the crap he pulled, nevermind how rotten his game was. His behavior was out of control. No GM would dump Losman at this point in his development.

When you think about it that way, all that talk was pretty damn ridiculous. Agree?
I absolutely agree..I had my doubts about the veracity of the rumors from the start

don137
04-05-2006, 05:15 PM
Like many others I failed to believe that JP was on the block until either Marv or Jauron said so. Never believe "inside sources". 90% of the time they lack merit. Not one of those reports listed a name of someone inside thr organization that said it. I am not saying Marv loves JP. I am just reports like these can snowball and grow based on nothing but speculation on one's part.

acehole
04-05-2006, 05:19 PM
"There really is no substance to that report"

different than

"There is no substance to that report"

Drive 4 Five
04-05-2006, 05:25 PM
"There really is no substance to that report"

different than

"There is no substance to that report"

Right? Right. I'm just saying though that to even ponder such a ******ed thought is unforgiveable. Anyone guilty of doing so should be drawn and quartered. Ok that was going a little overboard but at least locked up cause you surely are not capapable of thinking rationally, not even close, based on that single moment of stupidity.

Leaf was a ****ing ******* and the Chargers couldn't dump him. J.P. may not be the savior of this franchise most of us are hoping for but he will never be confused with Leaf.

X-Era
04-05-2006, 05:44 PM
I was thinking the same thing. Good post! :bf1:

After a crappy day, this piece of news has me smiling.

Like it or not, JP is here to stay for a while.

I see him having no trouble at all earning the starting job.

Nall? who is he and what has he done? Zip
Holcomb? I just caught a clip of his lob to Ty Law in the last game against NYJ...pathetic.

If the rumors were true, I would have said take a QB at 8. There not, game over, JP is our man.

Exile
04-05-2006, 05:47 PM
Losman sucks ass

SquishDaFish
04-05-2006, 05:48 PM
Hate to say it to the haters But I TOLD YOU SO. There was no way in hell JP was going anywhere but to Buffalo to keep his starting job !!

X-Era
04-05-2006, 05:49 PM
Like many others I failed to believe that JP was on the block until either Marv or Jauron said so. Never believe "inside sources". 90% of the time they lack merit. Not one of those reports listed a name of someone inside thr organization that said it. I am not saying Marv loves JP. I am just reports like these can snowball and grow based on nothing but speculation on one's part.

Yeah to take it a step farther, really all that happened, was some anti-Losman clown (Pat Kirwan) speculated on Losmans future. Then a paper printed it a bit more juicy. Then another paper read that paper and printed it even more juicy.

Its just more proof that the media is dummer than the dummest tackling dummy on this site and that they are the root of all evil.

Believe nothing unless you hear it from Marv.

X-Era
04-05-2006, 05:49 PM
Losman sucks ass

Theres a reason your in Exile.

Philagape
04-05-2006, 06:56 PM
:whew:

JPD! JPD! JPD!

Any post that says, in effect, "JP sucks" or in any way criticizes JP in the present tense requires such a lack of any insight or logic or knowledge that it redefines the word stupidity and sets the lowest standard for all future dumb posts. Its intelligence quotient requires new mathematics to be invented because all negative numbers don't cover it. It defiles the forum, the sport and the human race to the point that monkeys are simultaneously laughing and weeping. It reflects such an ignorance of the history and nature of football that the purveyors of this sentiment should receive a lifetime ban within 1,000 yards of any stadium. Such lunacy justifies a constitutional amendment allowing Congress to make an exception to free speech and outlaw this magnitude of idiocy.

:D

djjimkelly
04-05-2006, 07:05 PM
GO JP

Turf
04-05-2006, 07:30 PM
It's too bad Marv took so long to clear this up. That in and of itself raises questions as to why they didn't nip this a week ago.

TacklingDummy
04-05-2006, 07:32 PM
I would encourage the rest of you to do the same. It felt pretty damn good. I mean it felt really good. God I love that feature. It has really gone a long way in helping me to deal with...well...my issues with some of the stuff that gets posted here. No more hard feelings. Just hit that little button and move on. Thanks again.

What I don't get about whiners and people who don't care about freedom of speech is, why must they annouce to everyone they are putting someone on ignore and encourage others to do it?

TacklingDummy
04-05-2006, 07:34 PM
:whew:

JPD! JPD! JPD!

Any post that says, in effect, "JP sucks" or in any way criticizes JP in the present tense requires such a lack of any insight or logic or knowledge that it redefines the word stupidity and sets the lowest standard for all future dumb posts.

JP has sucked so far, and that's the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Kerr
04-05-2006, 08:26 PM
did anyone other than ice think there were any truth to the rumors? Grain of salt-now Marv has squashed those rumors.

Hey Ice, I thought you had a strong feeling jp was out and nall was in? By the end of camp, jp will be the starter, you know it. :up:

X-Era
04-05-2006, 08:30 PM

You have now officially made Philagape's point.

paladin warrior
04-05-2006, 08:32 PM
that good new

ddaryl
04-05-2006, 08:34 PM
JP was never on the block, and the rumors we heard were the typical BS we get every year from hack writers who know how to grab peoples attention

acehole
04-05-2006, 08:47 PM
Right? Right. I'm just saying though that to even ponder such a ******ed thought is unforgiveable. Anyone guilty of doing so should be drawn and quartered. Ok that was going a little overboard but at least locked up cause you surely are not capapable of thinking rationally, not even close, based on that single moment of stupidity.

Leaf was a ****ing ******* and the Chargers couldn't dump him. J.P. may not be the savior of this franchise most of us are hoping for but he will never be confused with Leaf.

Sorry I don't speak babble

acehole
04-05-2006, 08:50 PM
It's too bad Marv took so long to clear this up. That in and of itself raises questions as to why they didn't nip this a week ago.

No team picked up the phone to ask..what the asking price was

Dr. Lecter
04-05-2006, 09:20 PM
not since becoming GM.

Wrong.

1. Franchised Nate.
2. Traded an unhappy, on the downside of his career over paid WR who wanted out and would have been a disruption to the team.
3. Signed Triplett.
4. Re-signed the improving Ryan Denney.
5. Has not overpaid for overrated players like Archuletta.
6. Has not signed overpriced players over the age of 30 that contribute less than they cost.
7. Hired a head coach with coaching experience. (Note: Sherman was my fisrt choice, but Jauron was #2).
8. Made a solid attempt to sign Wells.
9. Signed Fowler, an upgrade to Turnstyle Teague or Bennie Anderson.
10. Released a headcase in Sam Adams who seems to wear out his welcome after 2-3 years with every team he plays for.
11. Signed Royal, who will help with this team's blocking problems.

bigbub2352
04-05-2006, 09:35 PM
He needed to clear this up now You move forward with JP's development and confidence, Finally a clear path to what we are trying to do with the draft I have said I want Young or Curtler but even if they are there we are not gonna take one, Now I hope Brick falls or Hawk or Davis or....

X-Era
04-05-2006, 09:44 PM
He needed to clear this up now You move forward with JP's development and confidence, Finally a clear path to what we are trying to do with the draft I have said I want Young or Curtler but even if they are there we are not gonna take one, Now I hope Brick falls or Hawk or Davis or....

If the rumors were true, I was 300% behind drafting our new young QB. They werent and the 2nd best player in the draft, as far as what they could mean to their position, is most likely there at 8. Thats Vernon Davis.

I like Winston Justice at 8, but he hasnt played LT at all yet, its a risk that he can make the move assuming Jaurons comments about Peters staying at RT are set in stone.

I like Bunkley at 8, but he is a bit of a reach even though his stock has been rising.

I LOVE adding a player like Vernon Davis with Eric leaving. I honestly believe hes a better prospect than Kellen Winslow Jr. and will rival Antonio Gates or Tony Gonzales in the long run. With Eric leaving and no real replacement for our possession type, I think a player like Davis makes us a force on the passing O.

Everrett? Royal? Euhus? Euhus hasnt done jack, Royal is a blocker first and foremost, and Everrett hasnt played a single down yet.

Lets not forget the Pats drafetd BOTH Ben Watson AND Daniel Graham. Thats worked out pretty good for them too.

Tatonka
04-05-2006, 11:52 PM
where's Ice and his reports?

:rofl:

Tatonka
04-05-2006, 11:54 PM

:bullseye:

jmb1099
04-06-2006, 04:46 AM
The problem with your continual barrage of anti JP commentary is that you lose credibility by not giving him credit where its due. Even when he does something right you attribute it to luck or karma or planetary alingment, anything other than JP did something right. It's an interesting risk to take...if he truly doesn't pan out you look like you know what you're talking about and can ride that wave for quite a while. Its a calculated risk, but many take such an approach including politicians and tabloid physics. Get one prediction right and people will subscribe to your dribble for years to come. what this means and why I'm bringing this up is rather simple...even if Losman doesn't pan out you still have no idea what you're talking about.

LifetimeBillsFan
04-06-2006, 05:02 AM
"There really is no substance to that report. We've made no overtures to anyone. No one has approached us and even if they did, we have a regard for J.P. He's a young quarterback who has put in that learning time. I can name countless others who have gone through this process. There are many things about him that we like, such as his work ethic, his personal motivation and his skills are all pluses. Part of the good news is that he has yet to reach what he is capable of reaching. So, as we said before, it's an open competition at quarterback and J.P. is very much a part of it and we fully intend to have him in it."

Subtleties, ladies and gentlemen, subtleties. There's a lot to be learned from the subtle differences in the way that people say things--especially when you are dealing with a crafty old man with a masters degree from Harvard.

1.) Note that Marv said that no one approached the Bills and they made no overtures to anyone else. That does not mean that they did not discuss things internally amongst one another. Remember that the initial reports were that the Bills were unhappy with Losman and were considering trading him. That later developed into reports that they were shopping him.

2.) In citing Losman's attributes, Marv mentions "...his work ethic, his personal motivation and his skills..." While Marv and DJ have talked about JP's work ethic and skills in the past, what is different this time around is that Marv cites Losman's personal motivation as one of his strengths. Previously when Marv talked about Losman and seemed to be unhappy with him, it was at a time when JP was still on vacation and after they had only met briefly. So, why the change? Perhaps they have had a chance to sit down and talk more and Marv has had a chance to get to know JP a little better as a person and is not simply relying on what others have told him about Losman.

3.) Marv also states that it is good news that JP has not yet reached what he is capable of reaching. That is very interesting: we all know that, but, then, why say it? Well, on the one hand it says that Marv thinks that JP still has a long way to go, but, on the other, it also says that he now sees JP as being capable of reaching more--something that Marv never indicated previously in his comments about Losman. The same may also hold true for Nall, but doesn't for Holcomb. And, if you recall Jim Kelly's comments that were sent out in a "Special Alert" to Bills Backers, which also originated with the team, that I posted the other day, Kelly made a comment about Holcomb that was less than an endorsement. If I were Kelly Holcomb I know that I would be more than a little concerned....

4.) The timing of Marv Levy's comments on JP Losman is also telling and could be a clue to what has been going on. The Bills, according to reports, have been holding a "voluntary off-season workout" this week with over 50 players participating. That means that the coaches and players have all been interacting with one another at the team's facilities in Buffalo. Marv and the coaches have had a chance to talk with JP and see him interact with the other players on the team--players who just saw the team's elder statesman and most vocal critic of Losman shipped out of town for a 5th round draft choice (don't imagine for a second that the guys on the team haven't noticed that!). They have also had a chance to see JP work and probably throw and workout. And, that may have changed Marv's opinion of JP and his potential to be the team's starting QB at some point. While he may still have some reservations about JP's personality and/or ability to lead the team, Marv's more positive comments about JP, coming at this point in time, may indicate that he has gotten a more positive feel about Losman after seeing him participate in these sessions with his teammates than Marv had before when he was basically operating on his own brief interaction with JP and the reports that he had gotten from others.

While I wouldn't take this as an all-out endorsement of JP on Marv's part, I do think Marv's comments indicate that he now has a more positive opinion of Losman and does not feel that it would be wise to give up on JP at this point. I think that does reflect a definite change in Marv's previous attitude towards Losman. Of course, it will now be up to JP to continue to show the coaches and his teammates that he is not only capable of playing well consistently, but also of leading the team and getting his teammates to willingly follow him. But, that is something that every young QB who enters the NFL ultimately has to prove that he can do if he is going to be successful as a starting QB.

I don't have a problem with Marv and DJ asking JP to show them that he can do those things better than Nall or Holcomb can at this point because that's only fair. If JP is ever going to be a good QB in the NFL, he should love the prospect of doing that. Also, given the way Kelly mentioned Holcomb's limitations and the way that Marv highlighted Losman's ability to go beyond what he has reached so far, it sounds like Kelly and Levy have been talking and neither is particularly impressed by Holcomb's ability to be anything more than an uninspiring caretaker at the QB position.

Night Train
04-06-2006, 05:36 AM
Jim Kelly probably told Marv that he thinks J.P. has something. So Marv changed his mind. :D

Tatonka
04-06-2006, 06:56 AM
great post, lifetime.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
04-06-2006, 07:08 AM
lifetime,
while I like your post, because I agree with the sentiment of giving JP a chance, I think your carful analysis of marv's statement may be way overanyalyzing and a bit of wishful speculation. Marv's a smart guy, but the careful crafting of words to have all the hidden meaning that your post portrays is, I think a bit of a stretch.

Marvs just yakking to shut up the speculation and lift a bit of burden off jp i think... it is a simple as that.

Having said that, I hope that all you said is true, because I want to give JP a solid chance.

Regards :)

TacklingDummy
04-06-2006, 07:53 AM
The problem with your continual barrage of anti JP commentary is that you lose credibility by not giving him credit where its due. Even when he does something right you attribute it to luck or karma or planetary alingment, anything other than JP did something right. .

See now that is wrong.

I have gave JP credit for playing well in the first half against Houston, the 1st Qtr against Miami, and for having 2 nice passes against KC.

Other then those Qtrs. he has pretty much sucked.

I have given JP credit when credit is due. It's not my fault its not very often.

acehole
04-06-2006, 08:01 AM
Subtleties, ladies and gentlemen, subtleties. There's a lot to be learned from the subtle differences in the way that people say things--especially when you are dealing with a crafty old man with a masters degree from Harvard.

1.) Note that Marv said that no one approached the Bills and they made no overtures to anyone else. That does not mean that they did not discuss things internally amongst one another. Remember that the initial reports were that the Bills were unhappy with Losman and were considering trading him. That later developed into reports that they were shopping him.

2.) In citing Losman's attributes, Marv mentions "...his work ethic, his personal motivation and his skills..." While Marv and DJ have talked about JP's work ethic and skills in the past, what is different this time around is that Marv cites Losman's personal motivation as one of his strengths. Previously when Marv talked about Losman and seemed to be unhappy with him, it was at a time when JP was still on vacation and after they had only met briefly. So, why the change? Perhaps they have had a chance to sit down and talk more and Marv has had a chance to get to know JP a little better as a person and is not simply relying on what others have told him about Losman.

3.) Marv also states that it is good news that JP has not yet reached what he is capable of reaching. That is very interesting: we all know that, but, then, why say it? Well, on the one hand it says that Marv thinks that JP still has a long way to go, but, on the other, it also says that he now sees JP as being capable of reaching more--something that Marv never indicated previously in his comments about Losman. The same may also hold true for Nall, but doesn't for Holcomb. And, if you recall Jim Kelly's comments that were sent out in a "Special Alert" to Bills Backers, which also originated with the team, that I posted the other day, Kelly made a comment about Holcomb that was less than an endorsement. If I were Kelly Holcomb I know that I would be more than a little concerned....

4.) The timing of Marv Levy's comments on JP Losman is also telling and could be a clue to what has been going on. The Bills, according to reports, have been holding a "voluntary off-season workout" this week with over 50 players participating. That means that the coaches and players have all been interacting with one another at the team's facilities in Buffalo. Marv and the coaches have had a chance to talk with JP and see him interact with the other players on the team--players who just saw the team's elder statesman and most vocal critic of Losman shipped out of town for a 5th round draft choice (don't imagine for a second that the guys on the team haven't noticed that!). They have also had a chance to see JP work and probably throw and workout. And, that may have changed Marv's opinion of JP and his potential to be the team's starting QB at some point. While he may still have some reservations about JP's personality and/or ability to lead the team, Marv's more positive comments about JP, coming at this point in time, may indicate that he has gotten a more positive feel about Losman after seeing him participate in these sessions with his teammates than Marv had before when he was basically operating on his own brief interaction with JP and the reports that he had gotten from others.

While I wouldn't take this as an all-out endorsement of JP on Marv's part, I do think Marv's comments indicate that he now has a more positive opinion of Losman and does not feel that it would be wise to give up on JP at this point. I think that does reflect a definite change in Marv's previous attitude towards Losman. Of course, it will now be up to JP to continue to show the coaches and his teammates that he is not only capable of playing well consistently, but also of leading the team and getting his teammates to willingly follow him. But, that is something that every young QB who enters the NFL ultimately has to prove that he can do if he is going to be successful as a starting QB.

I don't have a problem with Marv and DJ asking JP to show them that he can do those things better than Nall or Holcomb can at this point because that's only fair. If JP is ever going to be a good QB in the NFL, he should love the prospect of doing that. Also, given the way Kelly mentioned Holcomb's limitations and the way that Marv highlighted Losman's ability to go beyond what he has reached so far, it sounds like Kelly and Levy have been talking and neither is particularly impressed by Holcomb's ability to be anything more than an uninspiring caretaker at the QB position.

BRAVO!

ICE74129
04-06-2006, 08:06 AM
LBF, great post! Holcomb wont' start. That is a given. They are NOT going to hand the team to a weak armed 33 year old QB.

And you pointed out what most of us saw from day one, Almost every one of the older guys on this team (I refuse to call them veterans, they didn't act like it) that led the locker room revolt, are now gone...save one. One person didn't directly participate but did some 'Locker room lawyering' and that is Holcomb. He did it against Couch in Cleveland regardless of what holcomb says. Marv is old school, he knows it happened. This is another reason he wont' start.

Holcomb is a BACKUP and nothing more. Marv, DJ etc understands this. To me Nall was brought in because he does have a great upside, not as good a potential as JP, but good none the less. To me if Nall can't beat out JP then he will be our #2 and holcomb released under the 'Well...he is a veteran and we want him to have a good chance to play with another team' blah blah blah guise.

Meathead
04-06-2006, 09:58 AM
Wrong.

1. Franchised Nate.
2. Traded an unhappy, on the downside of his career over paid WR who wanted out and would have been a disruption to the team.
3. Signed Triplett.
4. Re-signed the improving Ryan Denney.
5. Has not overpaid for overrated players like Archuletta.
6. Has not signed overpriced players over the age of 30 that contribute less than they cost.
7. Hired a head coach with coaching experience. (Note: Sherman was my fisrt choice, but Jauron was #2).
8. Made a solid attempt to sign Wells.
9. Signed Fowler, an upgrade to Turnstyle Teague or Bennie Anderson.
10. Released a headcase in Sam Adams who seems to wear out his welcome after 2-3 years with every team he plays for.
11. Signed Royal, who will help with this team's blocking problems.
12. signed bowens the very best st player out there (according to lord april) who also happens to have started half a season last year for the skins. a very underrated signing considering the low cost/high reward factor