PDA

View Full Version : Bills sign four new players

muestafa1
04-05-2006, 04:04 PM
Bills have signed DB James Bethea, OL Aaron Gibson, OL Matt Morgan and unrestricted DB Kiwaukee Thomas. Per VCoach

Link:
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=3698

Gunzlingr
04-05-2006, 04:04 PM
DB Kiwaukee Thomas
OL Matt Morgan
OL Aaron Gibson
DB James Bethea

According to Vcoach!

Romes
04-05-2006, 04:05 PM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=3698

No big news...camp fodder mostly. DB James Bethea, OL Aaron Gibson, OL Matt Morgan, DB Kiwaukee Thomas.

Aaron Gibson was the 27th overall pick in the 1999 draft. Other than that. :boring:

Gunzlingr
04-05-2006, 04:08 PM
We tied, so I merged them into your thread.

Mr. Pink
04-05-2006, 04:10 PM
Outside of Aaron Gibson, which is a good signing and one of the best we've had all year....We addressed the O-line with a former first pick! Who are these guys? Anyone know?

DraftBoy
04-05-2006, 04:14 PM
Loving the Gibson signing in hopes he can turn it around.

BAM
04-05-2006, 04:16 PM
Why was Gibson out of football for a year? Injury? Too fat?

Hamilton Billsfan
04-05-2006, 04:19 PM
Whow Mama!
A google cache search from Febuary-05 has Gibson listed as 6'6" 410LBs:shocked:

Saratoga Slim
04-05-2006, 04:20 PM
Check out this article on Gibson prior to 99 draft:

http://www2.jsonline.com/packer/stat/apr99/ol-gibson.asp

I like the parts about "largest player in Wisconsin history" and wearing the largest helmet ever made by Ridell.

Doesn't sound like he's exactly lived up to his pre-draft billing though. What's his NFL story?

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
04-05-2006, 04:20 PM
Obviously these guys are the final pieces to the superbowl puzzle.

I am so relieved, everything will be fine now.

Its good to see that Marv is spending all that extra cash.

But seriously folks....if this team is going to contend in 2007, our luck is
going to have to change on some of these no namers. We are going to
have to luck into some of these unknowns becoming solid players.

ICE74129
04-05-2006, 04:27 PM
He played in and started all 16 games for the Chicago Bears in 2003 and played in four games for the Bears in 2004 before spending last season out of football.

That tells you one of the reasons he is here. I hope this is a kid that just got off to the wrong start in the NFL and can turn it around.

acehole
04-05-2006, 04:28 PM
Obviously these guys are the final pieces to the superbowl puzzle.

I am so relieved, everything will be fine now.

Its good to see that Marv is spending all that extra cash.

OMG!

But seriously folks....if this team is going to contend in 2007, our luck is
going to have to change on some of these no namers. We are going to
have to luck into some of these unknowns becoming solid players.

ParanoidAndroid
04-05-2006, 04:30 PM
Just to make another analogy to the Marv coaching days before it gets annoying...

We had Howard "the House" Ballard

Now we have Aaron "the Astrodome" Gibson

(Accept House was an 11th rounder :snicker: )

hydro
04-05-2006, 04:42 PM
Whow Mama!
A google cache search from Febuary-05 has Gibson listed as 6'6" 410LBs:shocked:
Espn.com had him at 370lbs.

found this vid on si.com, not that big but something to look at...
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/1999/nfldraft/players/3801.html#

casdhf
04-05-2006, 04:51 PM
Thomas was descent for the Jags a year or 2 ago

ParanoidAndroid
04-05-2006, 05:01 PM
<TABLE width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class="tablexlrg bi">#78 Aaron Gibson | OG </TD><TD></TD><TD align=right>Roster: <SELECT class=tablesm id=url style="VISIBILITY: visible" onchange=gotosite(this.options[this.selectedIndex].value) name=url><OPTION selected>Select Player</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=9546>W. Amos</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=4777>B. Ayanbadejo</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=8419>C. Benson</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=5603>B. Berrian</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=2384>A. Boone</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=8453>M. Bradley</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=8609>C. Bragg</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=4526>L. Briggs</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=3632>A. Brown</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=2170>M. Brown</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=772>R. Brown</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=6262>J. Cain</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=1932>D. Clark</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=8554>A. Currie</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=9268>R. Davis</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=4370>S. Edwards</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=1814>L. Friedman</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=4601>J. Gage</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=2648>R. Garza</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=3773>J. Gilmore</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=9354>R. Gould</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=4589>J. Green</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=2385>M. Green</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=1493>B. Griese</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=4480>R. Grossman</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=9520>R. Harrell</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=8595>C. Harris</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=5539>T. Harris</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=4472>M. Haynes</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=4624>H. Hillenmeyer</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=8629>D. Holly</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=4996>I. Idonije</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=5637>L. Joe</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=2542>B. Johnson</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=5572>T. Johnson</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=4558>T. Johnson</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=2138>T. Jones</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=1620>O. Kreutz</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=1577>P. Mannelly</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=1252>B. Maynard</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=9269>B. McGowan</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=4421>J. McKie</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=3621>T. Metcalf</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=1052>F. Miller</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=5469>Q. Mitchell</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=936>M. Muhammad</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=9427>A. Oakley</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=4649>J. Odom</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=2868>A. Ogunleye</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=8520>K. Orton</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=3776>A. Peterson</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=6279>M. Reese</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=5193>G. Reid</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=4574>I. Scott</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=4331>J. Smith</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=2225>J. St. Clair</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=5773>B. Symons</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=1765>J. Tait</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=5675>C. Thompson</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=4493>C. Tillman</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=2140>B. Urlacher</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=5635>N. Vasher</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=3628>D. Wesley</OPTION> <OPTION value=?playerId=5321>C. Worrell</OPTION></SELECT><NOSCRIPT><INPUT type=submit value=GO onsubmit="gotosite(document.forms[0].url.options[document.forms[0].url.selectedIndex].value);return false"></NOSCRIPT> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%"><TBODY><TR class=tablesm vAlign=top><TD style="WIDTH: 75px">http://espn.starwave.com/i/nfl/profiles/players/statsid/s4676.jpg</TD><TD>Full Name: Aaron Gibson
Born: September 27, 1977 Indianapolis, IN

Height: 6-6
Weight: 370 lbs.

</TD><TD>Age: 28
Pos: OG
Experience: 7 years
College: Wisconsin

</TD><TD>FANTASY
Percent Owned: (Week +/-):
NFL: 0.0% (0.0%)

Avg. Draft Position:
NFL: UD

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
credit - ESPN.COM

acehole
04-05-2006, 05:10 PM
I suspect the gibson signing is to keep us from wasting a #2 on a guard....

One of those guys that ate his way out of football...like Jamie Nails.

Maybe dieted and exercised his way back in....remember following him in pre draft write ups years ago. If fit has the right combination of size vs experience to play the power running game. If he is fit and humble would be a great pick up.

Arron Gibson

EDS
04-05-2006, 05:11 PM
Gibson would have made Mike Williams look slim.

G. Host
04-05-2006, 05:12 PM
Maybe the Bills want a new FB for 4th and goal situations ....

Hamilton Billsfan
04-05-2006, 05:13 PM
Here's the link for the google cache on Gibson

http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:I65V6l_nvIIJ:www.nfl.com/players/133294.htm+%22Aaron+Gibson%22&hl=en&gl=ca&ct=clnk&cd=2

showing 410 lbs

casdhf
04-05-2006, 05:14 PM
I'm sure he runs a 10 second 40

Hamilton Billsfan
04-05-2006, 05:15 PM
A slimmed down Gibson could be a real asset!

X-Era
04-05-2006, 05:32 PM
I suspect the gibson signing is to keep us from wasting a #2 on a guard....

One of those guys that ate his way out of football...like Jamie Nails.

Maybe dieted and exercised his way back in....remember following him in pre draft write ups years ago. If fit has the right combination of size vs experience to play the power running game. If he is fit and humble would be a great pick up.

Arron Gibson

Dont give 2 craps about his weight personally. He needs to move a total of about + or - 4 feet. Jaba the hut can do that.

One part missing from all the bashing on Aaron is that he was EXTREMELY strong. 475 pound bench press.

A strong but large OG is just fine as long as he doesnt get penalties like Bennie the human penalty.

I think he can be one hell of a blocker and will absorb even the biggest DT's with his size and strength on the pass rush.

I like the pickup and I bet he starts next year at LG.

Patti120
04-05-2006, 05:58 PM
Gibson is truly just a beautiful man and a great person of course.

ShadowHawk7
04-05-2006, 06:50 PM
I think both Gibson and Thomas were good pickups. Gibson as LG, and Thomas as another possibility at Nickle/Dime back.

Mr. Miyagi
04-05-2006, 07:32 PM
Dang! :sumo:

mysticsoto
04-05-2006, 07:38 PM
It'd be great if Gibson panned out to be our starting LG...I hope he loses some weight - although if he still has speed - the maybe, who cares. If McNally sees something in him that he thinks is worth getting him on our team, then I'm all for it. Maybe we won't have to use a 2nd on a top Guard, although I probably would anyway to replace Villarial next year!

Forward_Lateral
04-05-2006, 07:42 PM
Gibson is a fat-ass bust. He's Mike Williams, only not making 10 mil a year.

Mr. Miyagi
04-05-2006, 07:43 PM
Gibson is a fat-ass bust. He's Mike Williams, only not making 10 mil a year.
For a vet min, it doesn't hurt to have him kick around a bit.

Forward_Lateral
04-05-2006, 07:45 PM
For a vet min, it doesn't hurt to have him kick around a bit.

Agreed. Not against the signing, just pointing out that it's likey that he won't even make the team. Don't want people to get their hopes up. I nearly fell off my chair when I saw he might be our starting LG.

Forward_Lateral
04-05-2006, 07:46 PM
He's an OT btw, not a guard, for those who can't read.

Mr. Miyagi
04-05-2006, 07:47 PM
Agreed. Not against the signing, just pointing out that it's likey that he won't even make the team. Don't want people to get their hopes up. I nearly fell off my chair when I saw he might be our starting LG.
Hey you'll never know. Jason Peters went undrafted remember?

dolphan117
04-05-2006, 07:48 PM
Kiwaukee Thomas played for us last year and wanst even able to knock Reggie Howard out of the nickle/dime package. If you cant beat out Howard as a DB than you really arnt that good at all. My guess would be TC fodder, if he makes your team he has either goten much, much beter or your secondary is in a world of trouble.

Forward_Lateral
04-05-2006, 07:51 PM
Hey you'll never know. Jason Peters went undrafted remember?

He's FOUR HUNDRED pounds. FOUR HUNDRED. He's NOT going to be LG unless he drops 100 pounds.

He might be a valuable Tackle, but there's no chance he'll play guard.

Forward_Lateral
04-05-2006, 07:52 PM
Kiwaukee Thomas played for us last year and wanst even able to knock Reggie Howard out of the nickle/dime package. If you cant beat out Howard as a DB than you really arnt that good at all. My guess would be TC fodder, if he makes your team he has either goten much, much beter or your secondary is in a world of trouble.

I doubt he makes the team over Greer, King, Chris Thomas, McGee, Clements, Baker, etc, etc, etc.

Mr. Miyagi
04-05-2006, 07:54 PM
He's FOUR HUNDRED pounds. FOUR HUNDRED. He's NOT going to be LG unless he drops 100 pounds.

He might be a valuable Tackle, but there's no chance he'll play guard.
Convert him to play DT. There's our run stuffer. Now we can draft an OT in the first round.

Kerr
04-05-2006, 08:13 PM
If we're lucky, gibson will fill the void at guard.

X-Era
04-05-2006, 08:27 PM

If by cant read, you mean you havent followed his career thus far and where he has played, your on the money.

Such a spirited response must mean he banged your girlfriend. Why so worked up over a frikkin OG? Gibson is a vet min type player, if he ends up starting at LG, Im sure McNally, Jauron, and co will think he should be. Get over yourself.

Facts are facts, hes a OG that was highly thought of pre-draft, and hasnt done jack yet. At the vet minimum and for a team that hasnt signed squat on the o-line, Ill take it.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-05-2006, 09:05 PM
Kiwaukee Thomas might be a decent nickel back.

Matt Morgan:
BIO: Full-time starter the past two seasons. Exclusively played right tackle in college.

POSITIVES: Big, strong-side blocker with growth potential. Patient and competitive lineman that stays square, walls defenders from the action and helps out linemates. Starts with knee bend, blocks with good lean and jolts defenders with his hands. Turns opponents from the play and opens holes for the ball carriers blocking for the run.

NEGATIVES: Not a nifty nimble blocker and only good in very confined quarters. Cannot slide laterally, lacks footwork and skill on the second level.

ANALYSIS: A durable lineman that's been productive on the college level, Morgan is a marginal athlete that must fill out his frame and get stronger to have any shot at the next level. Presently a practice-squad player.

PROJECTION: Undrafted Free Agent

James Bethea was an undrafted free agent from Cal, I found his profile:

BIO: Defensive numbers were 36/1/4 as a senior with a 18.9-yard average on 34 kick returns. Junior totals included 42/4/1 with a 22.9 average on returns.

POSITIVES: Solid cover corner best in zone. Gets off the line with a smooth back pedal and loses nothing in transition. Can flip his hips, runs well laterally and has a head for the ball. Effective backed off the line of scrimmage, keeps the action in front of him and quickly breaks on the pass.

NEGATIVES: Not always willing to throw his body around the field and does more hitting then wrap-up tackling. Loses the pass in the air and not effective in press.

ANALYSIS: Best facing the quarterback, Bethea fits in as a dime cornerback that plays on special teams.

PROJECTION: Undrafted Free Agent

Forward_Lateral
04-05-2006, 09:21 PM
If by cant read, you mean you havent followed his career thus far and where he has played, your on the money.

Such a spirited response must mean he banged your girlfriend. Why so worked up over a frikkin OG? Gibson is a vet min type player, if he ends up starting at LG, Im sure McNally, Jauron, and co will think he should be. Get over yourself.

Facts are facts, hes a OG that was highly thought of pre-draft, and hasnt done jack yet. At the vet minimum and for a team that hasnt signed squat on the o-line, Ill take it.

He's an OFFENSIVE TACKLE ya friggen idiot.

Kerr
04-05-2006, 09:33 PM

he's a guard and tackle, stumpy.

X-Era
04-05-2006, 09:36 PM

depends which site you look at

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/4676/

True, most of his career has been at RT, but he has been mediocre at best there and with his lack of mobility has been talked about at G. IMO, hes a better fit at OG and could be great ala Leonard Davis, Tre Johnson

SABURZFAN
04-05-2006, 11:49 PM
throw his fat @$$ in on goalline D.

Tatonka
04-06-2006, 12:11 AM

Such a spirited response must mean he banged your girlfriend.

that was hilarious.

:roflmao:

Tatonka
04-06-2006, 12:15 AM
i wonder what weight gibson is at right now.

DraftBoy
04-06-2006, 12:18 AM
i wonder what weight gibson is at right now.

Rumors around 370 and losing weight, better than the 410 he was at last year.

LifetimeBillsFan
04-06-2006, 03:21 AM
I get to watch a lot of Wisconsin games so I saw Gibson play a lot of games in college.

Gibson was a superb OT at Wisconsin, but he has always had problems with his weight going back to HS. He was the best lineman on a very good offensive line, but his weight, which Barry Alvarez always considered a problem, started getting out of hand his senior year. At his size and weight, he did not have the quickness to be a LT in the NFL, but, based on his play in Wisconsin's running game, was projected to be a massive, road-grader type of RT with the potential to be, if not great, very solid. The biggest question about him going into the NFL was whether he could keep his weight under control--obviously, at 410 lbs., he didn't. As his weight increased going into the draft, he came to be seen as a "boom-or-bust" type of pick and ended up being a bust.

What Gibson may or may not bring to the Bills will depend entirely on whether he has found a way to keep his weight under control and will be able to keep it under control. If he can stay in the 350-370 lb. range, he could be a solid back-up RT and might--might--be able to provide the Bills with an opportunity to move Peters to LT next year or they might be able to move him inside to an OG position where he doesn't have to use a lot of lateral movement. Could he be good enough to replace Bennie Anderson if he keeps his weight down--maybe. Again, it will all depend on his weight.

Given his past history, I really have to wonder whether Gibson has the self-discipline to keep his weight under control enough to allow him to play effectively. But, then again, being unemployed for a year can serve as a pretty good incentive. And, maybe, like Damien Shelton, in Gibson's case it has.

A lot of guys who eat their way out of the NFL simply disappear never to be heard of again. But, obviously, Gibson must have done something to get himself in good enough shape to get the Bills' attention and pass a physical--otherwise they would not have signed him. So, maybe Gibson has decided that he'd rather try to get himself in good enough shape to recapture his former glory than eat himself to death. If he has and can play up to the level that he was playing in college, he can help the Bills and this will be a good signing. If not, he won't make it to the end of training camp. In short, until he proves otherwise, Gibson still should be seen as a "boom-or-bust" prospect.

Earthquake Enyart
04-06-2006, 07:16 AM
He's worth taking a flyer on, but he's a fat tub of goo.

The year after the Bears playoff year, their OL was hit pretty hard by injury and Gibson was one of the guys they picked up off the street. He played like a guy just off the street.

acehole
04-06-2006, 07:33 AM
Dont give 2 craps about his weight personally. He needs to move a total of about + or - 4 feet. Jaba the hut can do that.

One part missing from all the bashing on Aaron is that he was EXTREMELY strong. 475 pound bench press.

A strong but large OG is just fine as long as he doesnt get penalties like Bennie the human penalty.

I think he can be one hell of a blocker and will absorb even the biggest DT's with his size and strength on the pass rush.

I like the pickup and I bet he starts next year at LG.

You should give a crap about his weight the coaches will. It wares a player down and makes him winded through out the course of a game. It is a stamina issue...you cant and shouldnt rotate these guys. He can dominate sure......3.5 hours is a life time to an over wieght un fit player. I think he is better suited for RG as that is usually the side with the beef ad the left side usually goes pulling and finesse players. Agian if fit good be a great pick up.

mysticsoto
04-06-2006, 07:53 AM
Versatile blocker who has seen action at offensive tackle, guard, tight end & fullback during his Badger career.

Maybe he hasn't done guard in the NFL, but he did in college - and given his weight, he is probably better suited for guard!

Forward_Lateral
04-06-2006, 09:29 AM
Versatile blocker who has seen action at offensive tackle, guard, tight end & fullback during his Badger career.

Maybe he hasn't done guard in the NFL, but he did in college - and given his weight, he is probably better suited for guard!

:rofl: Almost every O-lineman has played guard and tackle in COLLEGE. This is the NFL. He's 400 pounds. He's NOT a guard, unless he drops a crapload of weight.

mysticsoto
04-06-2006, 09:40 AM
:rofl: Almost every O-lineman has played guard and tackle in COLLEGE. This is the NFL. He's 400 pounds. He's NOT a guard, unless he drops a crapload of weight.

I'm not disagreeing that he needs to lose some weight, but at 400 lbs...he's most definitely better suited to being a Guard than a Tackle!!!

Forward_Lateral
04-06-2006, 09:43 AM
I'm not disagreeing that he needs to lose some weight, but at 400 lbs...he's most definitely better suited to being a Guard than a Tackle!!!

How do you figure that? Guards need to be mobile, and short. Tackles are generally the biggest linemen on the field, Gibson is 6'6 and 400 pounds. He's not better suited to be a guard, unless it's guarding the buffet.

mysticsoto
04-06-2006, 09:54 AM
How do you figure that? Guards need to be mobile, and short. Tackles are generally the biggest linemen on the field, Gibson is 6'6 and 400 pounds. He's not better suited to be a guard, unless it's guarding the buffet.

Heh! Heh! I like that - "guarding the buffet"

But I'd disagree. I think you need to be more mobile on your feet as tackle b'cse you're likely facing speedster DEs that can try and go around you if they can't overpower you. As a guard, you are facing DTs that except for elite players, tend to be slower than the DEs and will try to use their bulk and power to bum rush you - and even if they try to go around you, they should be slower than a DE...