X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tatonka
    • Jul 2002

Tatonka's 2003 Offseason Predictions!

OK.. this is (for the second time, accidentily deleted the first one) my Offseason Prediction/Wishlist.

I am trying to be as accurate and realistic as possible. If you guys see anything (maybe regarding salary cap issues, ect) that are not a possibility, let me know. and feel free to give me your feedback.. i wouldnt have typed it all (TWICE) if i didnt want to hear back from you guys. do not, however, comment on my spelling.. cuz it sucs.. i know.

here we go..

1. FRANCHISE TAG.. We tag Price. This is really the only thing that I dont believe will happen, but would like it to. I know some think this move is not fair to Peerless, but such is life. I want a trophy for our Bills.

we tag price, with a pre-arranged deal in the works with San Diego. They get Price, we get pick number 15 in the first round. We use that pick to grab Boss Bailey ... now before some of you say, we can't have a rookie starting during our superbowl run.. i know this.. and there will be more on this later...

2. CUTS..Ahh.. Free agency.. well lets start with the cuts. we are going to let some people go, and do it early, as to show a bit of gratitude and give them plenty of time to go elsewhere for decent money. cuts are Jay Riemersma, Chris Watson, Eddie Robinson, and Billy Jenkins . That should save us about 5.5 million dollars. we now have just under 20 MILLION DOLLARS, muhahahaha /pinky finger is on the corner of my lips (Dr. Evil reference) and havent spent a penny ... YET!

3. SIGNINGS.. well.. we are going to have to jump on some of the free agents i want quick.. as they will be snatched up fast... no waiting for ages like last year, and getting retreats and old farts (well, there will be one old fart, but i digress)

we sign, in no particular order, and fast as hell...

a) Chris Claiborne - young stud LB that can play all three LB positions. great great size. Not a huge huge name, but will get plenty of attention (he was a lion, what do you expect). he played 2 years at OLB, then the moved him to MLB cuz he is just that good. he is on the verge of being a pro bowler.. and excelled on a poor defense (this will be a reoccurring theme in my picks).. great sideline to sideline guy. can tackle HARD. rush the passer, cover TE's, and even blocked a kick on Thanksgiving. I would rather see spikes here, but am sure he will be tagged, so i am not going there.. there is no one else in free agency i want as bad as this guy. he will be that much of a difference maker. he can do it all, just like spikes, but will cost less. lets say his deal is about 4 mill a year for 5 years. 3 mill cap hit for 2003. you work out the math. we are now at 17 mill left

b) Hugh Douglas - 3 years straight he led a nasty philly defense. he has been a model of consistency, much like Bruce was for us for years. he puts us sack numbers. he plays the run. he is a leader. he is a force that has shown no signs of aging yet, at 31 years old. no major injuries. can play til he is 35 easily imho. He and Pat Williams give our line instant credibility. but don't worry. it will get better. 4 year deal, 25 million-ish. cap cost 4 million against this years cap. we got 13 million to work with.

c) Mike Maslowski - last year was his first taking over for the departed Donnie Edwards in KC. much like Claiborne, he was a bright spot on an otherwise ugly defense. there were questions about his knee prior to last season, but he rehabbed well and should only get better. New England tried to nab him as a RFA last year, but KC matched the one year deal. now he is a UFA, coming off his best year as a pro. he is still young, like Claiborne, and should just be coming into his own too. excels at coverage (3 picks last year), and is a sure tacklers. good against the run. had one sack, so unknown if he can be better at that.. but we dont need all our guys to be good pass rushers. we just need them to be GOOD! 4 years, 16 million, 2 million cap hit in 2003. we are still 11 million over, and looking damn good.

d) Martay Jenkins - good, speedy, perfect for wr #3. oh yeah... he is a damn good kick returner. rodgers wont be back. I love this pick up.

5. THE NFL DRAFT!!!

* note. Boss Bailey backs up Claiborne and Maslowski. in the event one of them gets hurt.. we have a young stud waiting. if he turns out to be so good (ala Kendrel Bell, Sam Cowart) we will find a way to work him in.. or sit Maslowski.. whatever.. cant have too many good LBs! also, as i stated.. i doubt that we tag/trade price anyways.. so Bailey is just icing.. my plan is not contingent on him being here.. but would love to see him in red/white/blue.

Now, i am not going to go through a whole draft senario, just point out a few of our picks that i hope/think will happen.

a) 1st rounder - boss bailey (see above.. unlikely, but possible)
    b) 2nd rounder - Teyo Johnson, TE. could be next Gonzo. i believe he is going to be an impact guy. Moore to block. this guy to catch. at 6-7, huge target. played alot of slot/wr in college at Stanford, Coy Wire's alum.
    c) 3-7 rounds - Depth picks on OL, RB, WR.. maybe throw Urlacher's little brother, Casey, in there.. see if we find another diamond in the rough.

draft, overall, costs us 5 million roughly toward this years cap(that is with Boss Bailey in there.) 6 million left to go in cap money... time for.....

6) LATE CUTS, BARGAIN SHOPPING!!

i am gonna list a few guys here that are VERY LIKELY to be available.

a) we must sign one of the following -
    Henry Ford (knows system, good run stuffer. very similar to Pat Williams in size and style of play.
    Daryl Gardener he is a ufa. he may have to be signed much earlier, but i am hoping he is still around. rebounded very nicely from back issues and played well for redskins, and for dirt cheap i may add. as long as his attitude is fine, and you know it would have to be for TD to sign him.. he is my ideal pick.. even though he would be somewhat costly, i dont think he would be too bad in price, 3 mill cap hit or so..
    John Thorton another Titan who may be a cap cut. good run stuffer. knows system. cheap.
    Hollis Thomas before his ankle injury, he was a dominating force for philly. has not played in a year and a half. will be a cap cut, due to big salary figure. I am more than willing to take a chance on him. could reap huge benifits from this, just like Jones from Tampa Bay.

b) Blaine Bishop - he sucked for Philly.. just plain stunk.. so why bring him in? veteran leadership. knowledge of the system. to help coy develope. and a great back up. he will definately be cut from philly. he was outplayed by the rookie Lewis, that the bills considered drafting. Blaine Bishop qualifies as my old fart i was taking about. vet minimum deal

IN CONCLUSION.. there you go. i made one small addition to the offense/special teams in MJenkins. Made several great additions to our defense that keeps them all in their prime for years, and we have great back ups now, like jones, edwards, bailey/urlacher, spoon, and bishop. after the late additions, we should still have about 2-3 million left for a kicker and small RFA contracts.

This plan is assuming that Drew can lead us to the promise land.. and i hope he does.. as a leader.. but not with his arm. i want henry to put up numbers, and get the touches that Ricky Williams did this year. Henry needs a good 1800 yards rushing. if that happens, with the defense we can build..

we just might get that elusive championship!
    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe
  • Ingtar33
    Dances With Buffaloes
    • Sep 2002

I like what you put together... just some points...

SD can't afford a franchised Price... they don't have the cap room... furthermore, franchised Price will cost the Bills something if there is a signing bonus (and there will be since Price won't put pen to paper without).

Douglas and Claiborne will cost more than that to sign... Claiborne will sign for 4mil-5mil per season... and Douglas for much more (5mil to 7mil, since this is the standard set by other DEs).

Other than those points loved the post.
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• don137
      • Jul 2002

I do like a lot of the picks like Claiborne, Douglas, Maslowski and Jenkins but I am not sure if we will be able to land Douglas and Maslowski. Since Douglas is in his early 30's and is a sack machine I could see him asking for a 6 year deal with a big signing bonus. Because he is the best available DE available I can
      see a 6 year 40 million contract with a 7 million bonus. I would be surprised if TD would put so much money on a player in his thirties. I could see NE going after Maslowski hard again.
      I am not a fan of Bishop. If we signed Bishop he will be 2003's version of Eddie Robinson and I can do without that. I hope (not counting on it) Ted Washington signs with Buffalo for a little above the veteran minimum and can be used off the bench after Buffalo signs Thorton, Ford or Russell Davis.

Comment

• Tatonka
        • Jul 2002

Ingtar - my hope/idea, was that san deigo would work something out with price, so he wouldnt be playing on that franchise tag salary, but a new cap friendly contract. john butler always finds ways to fit a ton of big salaries under a small cap.. at the cost of the team down the road.

and the price for hugh douglas, i listed at 4 years - 25 million.. that is 6.25 million a year.. i thought that would be about right.. i didnt include signing bonus, because i dont know alot about how they work, but i figure that Donahoe can make him fit under the cap at a cost of 6.25

and i listed claiborne at 4 million a year, with a cap hit of 3 million for next year. so say 20 mill/5 years, plus bonus. maybe the cap hit should be more along the lines of 4 mill for next year, but i left room for error.. i thought i did at least.

so i am not sure what i messed up on. i thought the per year salaries of those players, i had right.. 6.25 for hugh douglas and 4 mill for claiborne... ?

Don - the 6year 40 mill deal for HD works out to 6.66 mill a year, which is basically where i was at. your right, maybe TD wont sign him for 6 years.. maybe HD might go for a 4 year deal.. we can hope.

as far as big ted. i would love to see him back.. i just assumed that he wouldnt be returning.. cuz he is still a fat guy.. and our coach doesnt like fat guys.. =(

bishop would not be a starter in any way shape or form.. he is purely a backup/leadership/coaching/mentoring role. so in that sense, he wouldnt be like Eddie RObinson.. cuz that old fart was on the field.. BIshop will not be, unless someone gets hurt. i think he would be a much better back up then our current Billy Jenkins. now that guy sucks!
        "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Tatonka
          • Jul 2002

one more thing on price... i dont think it will happen.. i know it is wishful thinking.. was just throwin it out there to make it more fun.. i want boss bailey =)

Comment

• Wys Guy
            Drew and Sam stole all my hair
            • Jul 2002

I'll go on record.

I have a hunch that the Bills will make a move for Spikes if he isn't retained by Cincy. A big question mark for now. But he'd fit into this "46" D scheme perfectly.

Assuming a Spikes signing:

Spikes would fill our OLB need.

I'll say we grab either Ford or Thornton from Tennessee. Thornton is a FA, Ford would be a cap cut by the Titans. Possibly Cochran out of Seattle. That would fill our DT need.

I'll go with Brad Scioli from Indy as a FA sign at DE.

If after that, we can afford Darius at S, we might make a move for him.

Assuming no Spikes signing:

I see us going after Colvin or Simmons from Seattle instead of Spikes at OLB.

Again, Thornton, Ford, or Cochran at DT.

At DE, Holiday.

I still think that the Bills are gonna at least look at Darius, the former Syracuse standout. He's familiar w/ the region as well.

I don't see us resigning Price regardless of the hype coming out of OBD. Nor do we need him. He's a luxury at this point, and one that we really shouldn't be spending for. Kind of like buying a second car when there's not enough money to pay the mortgage. Our defensive needs by far and away supercede any needs that we have on O.

This would also leave us still with a need for a TE dependent upon what happens to JR, Moore. I believe Moore has a decent cap hit this year as well. The other spot that will have gone unaddressed would be OL.
            Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Wys Guy
              Drew and Sam stole all my hair
              • Jul 2002

I do think that we're going to sign either one marquee player like Spikes or two top players, although lesser marquee players like Holiday and/or Colvin.
              Replace Donahoe with Modrak and fire the entire coaching staff!

Then let's go to Disneyworld!

GO BILLS!!!

Comment

• Tatonka
                • Jul 2002

no love for claiborne eh?

who fills in our other need at OLB wys?

Comment

• Tatonka
                  • Jul 2002

and why do people still think that Spikes may actually be available??? marvin Lewis has stated.. PUBLICLY.. to the whole world.. spikes will be tagged if we need to. he is not going anywhere.. no if ands or buts..

believe me.. i love the guy.. i would love to have him.. but it is just not reality.

Comment

• Tatonka
                    • Jul 2002

Darius just fired his agent because he said you will not get the 4-5 million dollars a year that you are looking for.

i think he is going to expect too much, and i think our staff likes our starting secondary.

Comment

• don137
                      • Jul 2002

When Spikes is franchised I guess we can officially start the Spikes in 2004 campaign since there is no way he will sign with them next year if he is tagged. Spikes has been quiet the last couple weeks. Maybe he needs to take a lesson from Vanderjagt and start blasting his team more.

Comment

• Tatonka
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by don137
                        When Spikes is franchised I guess we can officially start the Spikes in 2004 campaign since there is no way he will sign with them next year if he is tagged. Spikes has been quiet the last couple weeks. Maybe he needs to take a lesson from Vanderjagt and start blasting his team more.
                        i know.. i was just thinking that... the only way spikes doesnt get tagged is if he looks Lewis straight in the face and says "If you tag me, you ugly piece of #$%@... i will run my mouth to the media. I will make what Vandercrap said, look like a compliment. I will never play another single game for this god awful team. You just accepted a job on a sinking ship.. and i am not going to be around when it hits the bottom of the sea. I am not even going to wish you luck, Mr. Lewis, because you have no chance of winning here. You are a failure before you even begin. You mine as well quit now and save what little face you can after accepting this job like a *$%&*#$ idiot!... will there be anythiing else you need today?"

think that would work?

Comment

• TigerJ
                          • Jul 2002

I won't comment specifically on most of your predictions, Tatonka. I think there are lots of good possibilities there. Some of the comments and qualifications that followed also have lot's of merit. I have one specific comment. What makes you think another "old fart" from GW's Tennessee days (Blaine Bishop) will be any better than last year's (Eddie Robinson)? Do you figure he'll play a back-up role as a "player-coach for Coy Wire? Why bother having a coach too?
                          I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

Pardon my ignorance, but what's the big deal about Holiday? He's only had five sacks for the year and 4 of them against us on a day that our OL had wings right before the game.
                            sacrifice1
                            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• venis2k1
                              Youboty can hope
                              • Jul 2002

I agree JASF, outside of the bills game this guy was not impressive at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X