PDA

View Full Version : Golisano Wants Bills Here

MGinestre
04-05-2006, 09:13 PM
Tom G. looks like he's ready to step up to the plate. Sell him the team NOW Ralph. Everything this guy touches turns to gold.

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=468673

Mr. Pink
04-05-2006, 09:16 PM
If he's TRULY interested in buying the team whether it be today, tomorrow, next week or next year....Ralph would be smart to sell the team to him right away. If he's 100% intent on the stadium staying in WNY it's a no brainer for him.

I'm guaranteeing though next year or the year that Golisano does buy the team the Bills will be playing at like Bank of America Field though.

lordofgun
04-05-2006, 09:22 PM
Paychex Stadium

Mr. Pink
04-05-2006, 09:41 PM
Paychex stadium won't bring him extra revenue though lol

But good call on it.

HHURRICANE
04-05-2006, 09:43 PM
Paychex Stadium

NFL on Sirrius ripped Ralph Wilson today saying that if wants more revenue he should start by changing the name of the stadium to something other than "Ralp C. Wilson" Stadium. Naming rights are huge money.

I am convinved that Ralph Wilson is an idiot. ESPN also made the point that there other small market teams that are not whining liking Ralph. How much have the Bills made the old fool?! Give me a break.

Golisano is a stud and would be a much better owner. Bye Ralph!!:bigwave:

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
04-05-2006, 09:45 PM
Tom Golisano already owns one professional sports team in town.

Could he make it two?

The Buffalo Sabres owner did not rule out having any kind of ownership stake in the Bills if the opportunity presented itself, and if it means keeping the team in Western New York.

"I wouldn't rule out anything. Two, three years ago, I ruled out being an owner of the Buffalo Sabres, and look what happened," said Golisano.

http://wgrz.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=36780

chernobylwraiths
04-05-2006, 09:47 PM
Naming rights would bring in maybe a couple million a year tops. That is drop in the bucket money, not huge money in the grand scheme of the NFL.

BAM
04-05-2006, 09:47 PM
This is good news I suppose.

Mr. Pink
04-05-2006, 09:58 PM
Teams get a nice amount of money for stadium naming rights per year, not just drop in the bucket money. Some teams yes, others no....Theres' teams that pull in 7 mill a year of off it. <!--StartFragment --> Average of all current major professional (MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL) stadium and arena naming rights deals:
$54.6 million over 19 years. $2.9 million avg. per year.

NFL average-3.31 million a year....which is an 1/8 of the total revenue the bills had last season....There are some corporations around here who could afford to throw a 5 year 20 million dollar deal for it.

The link I have is from the start of 03 though, most recent I could find so numbers on some will be higher and other teams might not be included, the pats aren't included as it is, seeing financial terms weren't disclosed at the time....http://www.leagueoffans.org/nflnamingrights.html

THE END OF ALL DAYS
04-05-2006, 10:02 PM
guys, Golisano is building a new home a short walk from my business.. he is commited to our area and commited to keeping western NY a viable growth area... he would be a firm supporter of keeping the bills in Western NY!

by the by.... this is his daughters home in Victor that is for sale...anyone interested?http://realtor.com/FindHome/HomeListing.asp?frm=byxmls&xlid=1052276797&lnksrc=00045&poe=realtor

Indy Bills Fan
04-05-2006, 10:07 PM
Wow, that is at least a glimmer of hope. I don't care what they call the stadium, I just want the Bills to stay. I'd hate to have to become a colts fan....just the thought of it makes me queasy.

ICE74129
04-05-2006, 10:12 PM
If he's TRULY interested in buying the team whether it be today, tomorrow, next week or next year....Ralph would be smart to sell the team to him right away. If he's 100% intent on the stadium staying in WNY it's a no brainer for him.

I'm guaranteeing though next year or the year that Golisano does buy the team the Bills will be playing at like Bank of America Field though.

And they should be. Ralph is going to the Gov saying he can't make it but wont even sell naming rights.

Stoneludlow
04-05-2006, 10:20 PM
As long as the BILLS stay in the region, I'll follow them.

Any ideas, maybe a new stadium downtown, what with all the new development along the lake front---hmmm?

jimbohastle51
04-06-2006, 12:50 AM
i think golisano is a decent bet. also the state could cave and build a new stadium but no matter what happens i dont see anything changing for 4-5 years unless ralph passes. even if galisano bought the team it wouldnt be just him it would be a group of investors lead by him and they would have to build a new stadium or at least do massive upgrades to ours. i really dont see the team leaving even if they do the "packers" thing and let the city own it through tax dollars. i just hope if that happens every bills fan in buffalo is ok with the tax that will be in place because it is for a good cause if you love the bills on sundays :)

Jan Reimers
04-06-2006, 03:22 AM
Golisano has done very well with the Sabres. Attendance is up, and the league in general is coming back. He bought the Sabres at a bargain basement price, which means the team is probably already worth at least twice what he paid for it - and the franchise should continue to appreciate in value as the league signs better TV agreements, etc. Plus, the Sabres will show a small profit this year.

This means that his first venture into professional sports ownership has been highly successful, which might make him that much more comfortable with buying a second franchise.

Jeff1220
04-06-2006, 05:27 AM
I don't think it's Ralph's call to sell the naming rights to the stadium. It doesn't belong to him.

dannyek71
04-06-2006, 06:24 AM
I dont see ralph selling the team. If anything, provisions would be made that Galisano would get the team for a predetermined amount upon RW's death.

NorthCarBills
04-06-2006, 06:30 AM
Another good related read on this:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/nfl/04/05/bc.fbn.bills.golisano.ap/

Night Train
04-06-2006, 07:16 AM
What a coincidence.

I want the Bills here also. :bf1:

Pride
04-06-2006, 07:26 AM
FYI, I believe the NFL prohibits an owner owning 2 professional teams in the same market. If he buys the Bills, he'd have to sell the Sabres first.

McBFLO
04-06-2006, 07:34 AM

I work for Bank of America, so I wouldn't mind all that much. :)

casdhf
04-06-2006, 07:38 AM
FYI, I believe the NFL prohibits an owner owning 2 professional teams in the same market. If he buys the Bills, he'd have to sell the Sabres first.

Doesnt the same guy own the Sonics and the Seahawks?

THATHURMANATOR
04-06-2006, 07:43 AM
And they should be. Ralph is going to the Gov saying he can't make it but wont even sell naming rights.
Why do you constantly make the naming rights an issue? They would make 3 mil TOPS off of it, which is nothing.

THATHURMANATOR
04-06-2006, 07:47 AM
I haven't heard this before. Also it doesn't mean he would have to be the majority owner either.

Saratoga Slim
04-06-2006, 08:32 AM
guys, Golisano is building a new home a short walk from my business.. he is commited to our area and commited to keeping western NY a viable growth area... he would be a firm supporter of keeping the bills in Western NY!

by the by.... this is his daughters home in Victor that is for sale...anyone interested?http://realtor.com/FindHome/HomeListing.asp?frm=byxmls&xlid=1052276797&lnksrc=00045&poe=realtor

....it would take two years of naming rights to buy his daughter's home!

Jeff1220
04-06-2006, 08:51 AM
Why do you constantly make the naming rights an issue? They would make 3 mil TOPS off of it, which is nothing.

Did anyone see my post on the previous page? I don't think the issue of naming rights is Ralph's to profit from. Isn't the stadium the property of a municipality?

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
04-06-2006, 09:08 AM
Paychex Stadium

:sorry: to go :offtopic: great name for the Arena, Paychex Arena kind of rolls right off your tounge. Get rid of the stupid name HSBC I don't even know what HSBC means.

RedEyE
04-06-2006, 09:11 AM
If Golisano buys the Bills, I'll buy Sabres and Bills jerseys for me and my family with the name Golisano on the back of each.

I recommend you guys do the same.

Mr. Pink
04-06-2006, 09:15 AM
:sorry: to go :offtopic: great name for the Arena, Paychex Arena kind of rolls right off your tounge. Get rid of the stupid name HSBC I don't even know what HSBC means.

The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Limited

I swear to God I'm full of stupid knowledge and info....I should go on Jeopardy.

HHURRICANE
04-06-2006, 10:03 AM

Exactly what they said on Sirrius!!! Ralph is really starting to look ridiculous.

Jeff1220
04-06-2006, 10:35 AM
I give up. :sigh:
Seriously, if I'm wrong, please explain to me how RW can sell the name to something that doesn't belong to him.
If not, stop all the stupid posting about naming rights.

hydro
04-06-2006, 10:40 AM
Seriously, if I'm wrong, please explain to me how RW can sell the name to something that doesn't belong to him.

I agree, i believe the county owns the stadium... how can RW sell something that the bills don't own.

HHURRICANE
04-06-2006, 10:46 AM

That's why they call it a stadium deal. It's all negotiated. Most of the stadiums are not owner owned and they figure it out. Getting nothing to have Ralph's name on the building doesn't make any sense.

RedEyE
04-06-2006, 10:51 AM
You would think that Erie county would jump at the chance of making some spare change.

Mr. Pink
04-06-2006, 10:58 AM
Ok...we'll put this in terms EVERYONE can understand....If somebody else is getting the money of naming rights, then Ralph Wilson is PAYING FOR THEM. Considering it's called the Ralph Wilson Stadium. Do you really think he's paying for it? If he is, then he's cutting into his own revenue to supplant his ego.

If he's not paying for his name on the stadium, he's still cutting into his revenue to supplant his ego. Goes both ways.

That being said, average in 2003 for revenue of stadium naming rights was 3.31 million dollars. Link to such info in another thread. That's still 3.31 MORE that could be added to the teams revenue. EITHER WAY. So instead of Ralph only, and I say only very sarcastically, making 24.8 mill in 04, he woulda made 28.1 mill in revenue. My heart bleeds that he only made almost 25 million, really.

As you see though either way, whether Ralph makes money off the stadium rights directly. Or pays for the stadium naming rights...If he were to sell off the naming rights to a corporation he's ADDING to revenue.

Make sense?

Jeff1220
04-06-2006, 11:08 AM
Maybe the county, who owns the stadium, named it RWS in honor of him, being an owner who has remained loyal to the region.
It is not necessarily his stadium name to sell.

Mr. Pink
04-06-2006, 11:11 AM
Our county, state, city, township, village, municipality, district, whatever you wanna call it that is struggling and economically strained just giving away some revenue that could help the budget? Not likely, but I guess possible. OK Pataki made that happen....found a link with info on the stadium...*open mouth-insert foot* LOL

Ralph Wilson Stadium has a 37,967 person capacity and offers 76 dug out suites as well as 88 luxury boxes at the club level. The stadium,
originally called Rich Stadium, was renamed in 1998 for owner Ralph Wilson at the request of New York governor George Pataki. In1973, Rich
Foods paid $1.5 M for a 25 year naming rights deal with the stadium. This historic deal was the first corporate naming rights agreement for any
professional sports facility. There are no current plans to change the stadium’s name.

Now, I just have to find, if there is any info....where Rich Foods paid the 1.5 million dollars to.

chernobylwraiths
04-06-2006, 11:49 AM
I believe that though the county owns the stadium, it was agreed upon that Ralph would have charge of the naming rights. At the time, he didn't want to sell the naming rights and had the stadium in his name. I don't think it was an ego thing and I don't even know if it was his decision to have his name on the stadium, just that he didn't want to sell the naming rights. I think any money made in naming rights would also go to RW as part of the deal to keep the Bills in Buffalo.

Mr. Pink
04-06-2006, 11:54 AM
I think any money made in naming rights would also go to RW as part of the deal to keep the Bills in Buffalo.

That's what I would be lead to believe as well chern....but alas I can't find any info on to whom Rich paid the 1.5 million to for naming rights. Interesting info though for all of us complaining on Ralph to sell stadium naming rights for a little extra revenue. The Bills were the first team to EVER selling stadium naming rights. Interesting tidbit of knowledge/trivia.

Jan Reimers
04-06-2006, 12:01 PM
I don't really see the naming rights as a big issue.

But I am happy as HELL that Golisano has publicly expressed his interest in buying the Bills. He is one of the few Western New Yorkers with both the money and the business savvy to get the deal done and make the Bills a huge success.

I just hope Ralph - or Ralph's estate executors - take advantage of Golisano's desire to purchase the team and keep it in Buffalo.

JD
04-06-2006, 01:46 PM
hsbc...holy **** buffalo's cold

realdealryan
04-06-2006, 01:47 PM
Wow, that is at least a glimmer of hope. I don't care what they call the stadium, I just want the Bills to stay. I'd hate to have to become a colts fan....just the thought of it makes me queasy.

I SECOND THAT!