PDA

View Full Version : Losman's intelligence...

Tatonka
04-06-2006, 07:13 AM
why do i keep seeing losman's intelligence questioned? by posters.. by media.. i just dont get it.

he didnt do awful on his wonderlic.. he doesnt sound like a meathead in interviews..

i just dont follow where it comes from. one mock draft recently referred to his brain as a big pile of goo.. i just dont know where the public perception that he is an idiot came from? does drew seem smarter? did kelly? marino? he beat them on the wonderlic..

can someone explain to me why the public perception seems to be that he is dumb with just a ton of athletic ability?

Night Train
04-06-2006, 07:20 AM
Just like a lot of off-season gossip. One person starts it and it spreads like wildfire, due to boredom.

The press runs with anything these days, before checking legit sources.

BillsNick
04-06-2006, 07:23 AM
I've always been under the impression that he was a pretty bright kid.

Billsrock4life
04-06-2006, 07:25 AM
why do i keep seeing losman's intelligence questioned? by posters.. by media.. i just dont get it.

he didnt do awful on his wonderlic.. he doesnt sound like a meathead in interviews..

i just dont follow where it comes from. one mock draft recently referred to his brain as a big pile of goo.. i just dont know where the public perception that he is an idiot came from? does drew seem smarter? did kelly? marino? he beat them on the wonderlic..

can someone explain to me why the public perception seems to be that he is dumb with just a ton of athletic ability?

Because thats what the media does, they think that they know everything about everything no matter what the subject is and they look for any reason to question something someone says

Tatonka
04-06-2006, 07:27 AM
i have as well.. if i was him, that kind of thing would really tick me off.. tulane is not a university for ******s.

i just dont see anything that he has ever done to warrant the critism he gets.. he has not played incredible football, but 99% of all first year starters dont. he will improve.. but the idiot thing just baffles me.

Bulldog
04-06-2006, 07:27 AM

Maybe it's because everyone has him pegged as a California surfer dude, which couldn't be further from the truth. I hope that the light goes on for Losman soon so all these talking heads can STFU!

McBFLO
04-06-2006, 07:32 AM
you beat me to it. people compare him to rob johnson. johnson wasn't too bright as far as football smarts were concerned, so i think thats where it comes from...

THE END OF ALL DAYS
04-06-2006, 07:33 AM

Man I could not agree with you more! This has been a source of frustration for me as well. There is just nothing that would give anyone a reason to question his intellegnece.... and your are right, every interview I have heard him in he sounds reasonable an intellegent.

A few more wins under his belt and the media will start comparing him to Jonas Saulk.... the media loves to hear itself talk, even if they talk nonsense!

Ickybaluky
04-06-2006, 07:47 AM
I haven't seen his intelligence questioned anywhere.

Most of the criticism of Losman I've seen is that he is arrogant and rubs teammates the wrong way.

Tatonka
04-06-2006, 07:51 AM
NE, i have seen it brought up several times..

one quote i recently saw said something to the effect that if marv levy could give half of his harvard brain to jp to replace his pile of goo, he might be a good qb.. something to that effect.

ICE74129
04-06-2006, 07:59 AM
I haven't seen his intelligence questioned anywhere.

Most of the criticism of Losman I've seen is that he is arrogant and rubs teammates the wrong way.

AND his former college RB M. Moore said all JP cared about was JP and showing off his arm. Rumors from the locker room is he has zero leadership skills.

Bottom line, if the kid is a leader, and does have smarts he had better prove them NOW. Because if he doesn't, I don't think the kid is here next year let alone QB'ing the team this year.

Bottom line, The bloom is off the Rose. He has to prove it now or else.

ICE74129
04-06-2006, 08:00 AM

one quote i recently saw said something to the effect that if marv levy could give half of his harvard brain to jp to replace his pile of goo, he might be a good qb.. something to that effect.

that was in some dorks mock draft. The guy most likely hasn't seen the Bills except on ESPN highlights.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
04-06-2006, 08:09 AM
Bottom line, The bloom is off the Rose. He has to prove it now or else.

right on brother!

ICE74129
04-06-2006, 08:11 AM
right on brother!

And I for one hope he does. Now address the damn OL and protect him!

Gunzlingr
04-06-2006, 08:13 AM
Don't put too much stock in anything you see people post here, T. I have seen posts saying he is lazy and has a poor work ethic too, and from everything I have read elsewhere that is not the case at all.

ICE74129
04-06-2006, 08:19 AM
Ok lets sum this up, Losman must step up, mature, Show he can be a leader and start reading defenses better/ Making better and quicker decisions....or he isn't the QB.

That's the FACTS of the situation. Anything else is rumor and speculation. The kid must step up his play greatly from last year, or he isn't the QB....period.

DaBillzAhDaShiznit
04-06-2006, 08:30 AM
I don't think JP is stupid.

I think he is immature, and I don't think he has the best football sense.

Those weaknesses can be overcome, and I hope it happens soon.

Tatonka
04-06-2006, 08:42 AM
why do you think jp is immature and doesnt have good football sense?

what has he done in his 8 games that almost every other great qb in this league didnt struggle through?

i would say that he has to show improvement this year, but i dont expect him to take this team to the playoffs.. as long as he shows improvement over last year, then i am fine with him. if san diego would have given up on drew brees so easily, he could have been a junk pile qb... but they didnt, and he turned out to be pretty damn solid.

Philagape
04-06-2006, 09:27 AM
Sorry, if he doesn't master opposing defenses and play like Pro Bowler in his first nine games, then he's an idiot and he sucks :refuse:

Mr. Pink
04-06-2006, 09:28 AM

That was a mock I posted that was just for humor value....They do have other articles that are just humor based. Such as Video Game Michael Vick as player of the year, which the article in and of itself was hillarious. I don't think it was meant to be serious on any of the people drafted or of any of the organizations considering the guy had Jay Cutler being drafted because "he was just that good." Then Chad Greenway taken twice because he was too lazy to find another 1st round LB. I took it for what it was worth, laughs, which I believe was the intention of the piece. And Buffalo wasn't the only football team to be blasted nor Losman the only player to be blasted in the piece.

As far as his intelligence, the only thing I could see, could maybe be some of his off the wall stupid quotes in press conferences. Such as the Yoda remarks, for example. Which could just be his sense of humor. I will disagree though that just because he went to Tulane doesn't automatically make him "smart." He went there to play football. I don't know specifics but maybe it was the only place that gave him a full ride to school or it was the best school that gave him the free. Or they're the best school that guaranteed him to start. Who knows?

Buckets
04-06-2006, 09:50 AM
[QUOTE=Tatonka]why do you think jp is immature and doesnt have good football sense?QUOTE]

He has had that deer in the headlights look on occasion. Improvement comes with experience however and he hasn't been given the chance.

ICE74129
04-06-2006, 09:54 AM
why do you think jp is immature and doesnt have good football sense?

what has he done in his 8 games that almost every other great qb in this league didnt struggle through?

i would say that he has to show improvement this year, but i dont expect him to take this team to the playoffs.. as long as he shows improvement over last year, then i am fine with him. if san diego would have given up on drew brees so easily, he could have been a junk pile qb... but they didnt, and he turned out to be pretty damn solid.

Because our QB coach has flat out said he missed wide open WR's and doesn't understand why he did. He also said his ability to move within the pocket to buy time needs work as well.

The kid has shown promise but has looked like crap as well. He must step up and not only get MUCH Better at reading defenses but leading the team as well. If he doesn't he wont' be the QB.

Kerr
04-06-2006, 11:00 AM
AND his former college RB M. Moore said all JP cared about was JP and showing off his arm. Rumors from the locker room is he has zero leadership skills.

Do you have a link for that comment from moore? All I've seen is that he wouldn't want to play with jp again because his performance went down in his senior year. It's common for other people to blame others when they are losing.

Kerr
04-06-2006, 11:03 AM
As far as Tonks question goes, all californian qb's have been stereotyped as burned out, slow talking, surfer dudes. Even Matt Leinhart has been getting stereotyped as one.

Sure, rob johnson had no football smarts, but it didn't mean he was really an all around idiot. Some guys just aren't just made to be great football players.

Mr. Pink
04-06-2006, 11:04 AM
Minnesota running back Mewelde Moore played at Tulane with Buffalo quarterback J.P. Losman. Moore has no interest in playing with Losman again. "I just didn't like the way he played ball the last two years at Tulane," Moore said. "You are what you are. He's a great player, and he'll be a great player once he plays total team ball and sells out for the team and not for himself.
"We could have been a great team our senior year and reaped the benefits. But he kind of took a big turn ... and he just kind of tanked. I didn't like that. I wish the best to him. I just don't have any interest in playing with him."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/mcclain/3378301.html

Moores' exact comments. YaY for links that exist :)

Kerr
04-06-2006, 11:20 AM
Minnesota running back Mewelde Moore played at Tulane with Buffalo quarterback J.P. Losman. Moore has no interest in playing with Losman again. "I just didn't like the way he played ball the last two years at Tulane," Moore said. "You are what you are. He's a great player, and he'll be a great player once he plays total team ball and sells out for the team and not for himself.
"We could have been a great team our senior year and reaped the benefits. But he kind of took a big turn ... and he just kind of tanked. I didn't like that. I wish the best to him. I just don't have any interest in playing with him."

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/mcclain/3378301.html

Moores' exact comments. YaY for links that exist :)

That last paragraph is all i've seen, but the top explains a little more detail. So as it seems jp, as reported by many scouts, had a bit of a maturity problem. That's no secret, but I think it's safe to say that the fanbase has seen the guy mature further from his days at tulane.

Gunzlingr
04-06-2006, 11:28 AM
I don't watch college ball, but from what I have read, I thought that Tulane had a horrible OL in JPs last year. :idunno:

TedMock
04-06-2006, 11:36 AM
As far as Tonks question goes, all californian qb's have been stereotyped as burned out, slow talking, surfer dudes. Even Matt Leinhart has been getting stereotyped as one.

This is very true, and it's really a stupid stigma. Alex Smith was being looked at as borderline brilliant last year. He's a California kid. We don't really know how he or Aaron Rodgers will turn out, but neither sounds stupid. Tom Brady is from Cali, so is David Carr (not sure about this guy's head yet), Carson Palmer, and Mark Brunell are other examples. I read an article earlier saying that 13 pro-bowl QB's are from California. That's 2x's as many as any other state. However, the article was from 1998! Brady, Palmer, etc. weren't accounted for yet. http://www.texnews.com/1998/texsports/foot0202.html

HAMMER
04-06-2006, 11:47 AM
Surfer Dudes? Do you realize how stupid that sounds? I have many friends here in SD that surf, every one of them is successful in their field, smart, and responsible. But if you are from California you are automatically a "surfer dude". This shows ignorance, much like racism or discrimination in any form. JP is not dumb, he just needs a little experience and a few seconds to get back into a pocket.

ublinkwescore
04-06-2006, 12:41 PM
This is very true, and it's really a stupid stigma. Alex Smith was being looked at as borderline brilliant last year. He's a California kid. We don't really know how he or Aaron Rodgers will turn out, but neither sounds stupid. Tom Brady is from Cali, so is David Carr (not sure about this guy's head yet), Carson Palmer, and Mark Brunell are other examples. I read an article earlier saying that 13 pro-bowl QB's are from California. That's 2x's as many as any other state. However, the article was from 1998! Brady, Palmer, etc. weren't accounted for yet. http://www.texnews.com/1998/texsports/foot0202.html

I'm from california, and I've got a reputation amongst the guys that I play with as being the best qb out there when we play - I'm almost always the first one picked.

sorry, I just saw an opportunity to brag and took advantage of it.

ICE74129
04-06-2006, 12:45 PM
He's a great player, and he'll be a great player once he plays total team ball and sells out for the team and not for himself.

That right there is the same thing/ Rumors we got from the locker room last year. If so the kid has to grow the fugg up real damn quick. He has the tools , but he has to put the team before himself, calm down and start playing up to his potential.

Kerr
04-06-2006, 12:54 PM
That right there is the same thing/ Rumors we got from the locker room last year. If so the kid has to grow the fugg up real damn quick. He has the tools , but he has to put the team before himself, calm down and start playing up to his potential.

Wasn't the reason he wasn't liked in the lockeroom because he was handed the job and blew it? That's all I heard.

Bill Brasky
04-06-2006, 12:56 PM

because, as with the case of most bills fans and the buffalo sports media, they have to find something to ***** about.

justasportsfan
04-06-2006, 12:57 PM
Wasn't the reason he wasn't liked in the lockeroom because he was handed the job and blew it? That's all I heard.
Ice has his own undisclosed source.

HAMMER
04-06-2006, 01:03 PM
because, as with the case of most bills fans and the buffalo sports media, they have to find something to ***** about.

Isn't that the truth!

Tatonka
04-06-2006, 01:07 PM
He has had that deer in the headlights look on occasion. Improvement comes with experience however and he hasn't been given the chance.

i disagree that just because he looked like a deer in headlights that it means he is immature or doesnt have football smarts.. every great qb in history looked JUST like losman did over the first half of their first season.

deer in headlights = inexperienced.. not dumb, immature, or lacks football skills.

Tatonka
04-06-2006, 01:08 PM
Because our QB coach has flat out said he missed wide open WR's and doesn't understand why he did. He also said his ability to move within the pocket to buy time needs work as well.

link??

ICE74129
04-06-2006, 01:22 PM

What I heard was the kid had an attitude. And I am sick of this 'handed to him' BS. ALL QB's have the job handed to him. The only ones throwing that BS out are now gone. Funny how that works.

Tatonka
04-06-2006, 01:37 PM
link??

still waiting ice.

Mr. Pink
04-06-2006, 01:44 PM
still waiting ice.

Hungry why wait? Have a......

http://www.fotoleovogelzang.nl/500px/Jun2004/Snickers%20300400.jpg

:smile:

ICE74129
04-06-2006, 01:46 PM
still waiting ice. For what? Go find it yourself. My luck BB.com has shortened articles again to save space.

ICE74129
04-06-2006, 01:53 PM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=3628

I hate bb.com. Leave the entire article, don't shave it down to archive. There is a full paragraph missing after he talks about losmans abilities in the pocket.

ICE74129
04-06-2006, 01:54 PM
Ice has his own undisclosed source.

I have a couple actually.

Tatonka
04-06-2006, 02:06 PM
:rofl:

what a crock of ****..

this -

Can J.P. Losman be a successful QB in this league?

TS: Oh sure. He's got some ability. He's got good quick feet. I always look at a quarterback's pocket mobility and that's where I believe he needs to get better. That's working within the confines of the pocket between the tackles and being able to move in the pocket with eyes up field while keeping your composure and make accurate throws and make plays. As far as escape-ability, he has the ability to get outside the pocket and make people miss and make plays with his legs.

does not equal

Because our QB coach has flat out said he missed wide open WR's and doesn't understand why he did.

another great ice "interpretation".

post edited. Please refrain from calling people gay

ICE74129
04-06-2006, 02:15 PM
:rofl:

what a crock of ****..

this -

does not equal

another great ice "interpretation".

:limp:

and we just rename :limp: as :icesposts:

"The negatives were he missed too many open receivers," Schonert said. "There were guys open and for whatever reason he missed them, so his accuracy has to get better. His footwork needs to get better with certain types of throws and just kind of experiencing the game and all the elements of it. Game management, what are you seeing, where your weaknesses are, all those types of things. He needs to store that information and draw from it."

That is from an archived article.

Tatonka
04-06-2006, 02:23 PM
the point of this thread is JP's intelligence.. which your posts obviously doesnt display..

where in any of that does it say

"JP MISSED WIDE OPEN RECEIVERS AND DOESNT KNOW WHY!!!"

?

just wondering

post edited again

ICE74129
04-06-2006, 02:26 PM
the point of this thread is JP's intelligence.. which your posts obviously doesnt display..

where in any of that does it say

"JP MISSED WIDE OPEN RECEIVERS AND DOESNT KNOW WHY!!!"

?

just wondering :limp: :geek:

Go find the article and read. It's pretty bad you can't admit you were wrong. BTW Redeye was the guy to post the article, not me.

Tatonka
04-06-2006, 02:39 PM
your the one who is claiming that "jp doesnt know why he is missing wide open receivers.. "

back up your statements or :stfu:

ICE74129
04-06-2006, 02:41 PM
your the one who is claiming that "jp doesnt know why he is missing wide open receivers.. "

back up your statements or :stfu: That's not what I said. I said SHONERT said he was missing wide open wrs and wasn't sure why. Read the article then STFU. I gave you the info you called me out on I can't help you to understand it.

Tatonka
04-06-2006, 02:43 PM
you clearly implied, in a thread about jp's intelligence, that jp didnt know why he was missing open receivers.

then backed it with nothing.

northernbillfan
04-06-2006, 02:43 PM
Please refrain from caller posters names by using smilies.

Thanks.

ICE74129
04-06-2006, 02:46 PM
you clearly implied, in a thread about jp's intelligence, that jp didnt know why he was missing open receivers.

then backed it with nothing.

:limp:

LMAO My God you really can't read can you?

"Because our QB coach has flat out said he missed wide open WR's and doesn't understand why he did. He also said his ability to move within the pocket to buy time needs work as well."

there was the direct quote. Now show me in my quote where I said "that JP didn't know why he was missing open wr's '

It's sad when you call a guy out and he gives you the info you ask for, but its pathetic when you post his own quote then try to twist it out of context after the proof has been provided.

Mr. Pink
04-06-2006, 02:48 PM

Thanks.
Can I call myself a :loser: ?

Tatonka
04-06-2006, 02:50 PM

Thanks.

i was referring to his post as beig :limp:

:up:

dplus47
04-06-2006, 04:16 PM
LMAO My God you really can't read can you?

"Because our QB coach has flat out said he missed wide open WR's and doesn't understand why he did. He also said his ability to move within the pocket to buy time needs work as well."

there was the direct quote. Now show me in my quote where I said "that JP didn't know why he was missing open wr's '

It's sad when you call a guy out and he gives you the info you ask for, but its pathetic when you post his own quote then try to twist it out of context after the proof has been provided.

trying to be fair to both sides, the sentence isn't all that clear. "doesn't understand why he did" seems to refer back to the subject "he" of "missed wide open WR's." that's how i read it the first time. verbs are supposed to refer back to the nearest subject. a different sentence structure could have made it more clear. e.g. schonert doesn't understand why j.p. missed wide open WR's. no ambiguity there.

may he who is the perfect writer ask "can you read?" i'm not about to ask anyone that question, myself.