PDA

View Full Version : Yankees/Mets both unveil new stadium plans

Bill Brasky
04-06-2006, 12:24 PM
Doesn't really help the Bills' chances for those who think we're getting a new home... at least if NY is as broke as it says it is.

The Mets are paying $550 million for the stadium and the city is expected to kick in $90 million in capital funds, officials said. The state will provide $75 million for infrastructure improvements around the stadium.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2399327

Italian Stallion
04-06-2006, 12:27 PM
I watched the press conference today on SNY.....Very excited about that stadium opening. I was suprised to find out that the Mets will cover ALL of the construction fees.

I'll definiatly be there opening day 2009!!! Lets go Metties

Bill Brasky
04-06-2006, 12:29 PM
Only thing that sucks is the seating capacity is basically cut by almost 20% by eliminating more than 12,000 seats. Stupid move.

THATHURMANATOR
04-06-2006, 12:29 PM
A new stadium for us wouldn't cost close to that much.

Italian Stallion
04-06-2006, 12:31 PM
Only thing that sucks is the seating capacity is basically cut by almost 20% by eliminating more than 12,000 seats. Stupid move.

Yeah going down in the 40's for capacity is alittle strange.....but maybe it will be good in the long run

Being a Mets fan yourself I don't know if you noticed this or not, but Shea alllllways looks half empty to me, even in person.

Bill Brasky
04-06-2006, 12:32 PM
I just moved here at the end of 04... got to 3 or 4 games last year. It was pretty full everytime I went, but watching on TV it sometimes looks a little empty. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that the place is a complete ****hole. I've been to countless stadiums/arenas in my life and Shea is hands down the worst. I can understand why they want a new park.

Italian Stallion
04-06-2006, 12:36 PM
I just moved here at the end of 04... got to 3 or 4 games last year. It was pretty full everytime I went, but watching on TV it sometimes looks a little empty. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that the place is a complete ****hole. I've been to countless stadiums/arenas in my life and Shea is hands down the worst. I can understand why they want a new park.

Yeah, I've been to a few games as well and I can honestly say that Frontier Field here in Rochester is better than Shea in terms of up-to-date ammenities.

That's really sad.

Earthquake Enyart
04-06-2006, 12:39 PM
They don't have to pay the luxury tax if they are putting money into new stadiums.

It's a big loophole.

EricStratton
04-06-2006, 12:46 PM
They don't have to pay the luxury tax if they are putting money into new stadiums.

It's a big loophole.

That's one that George is going to step into next season. On ereport said the Yanks may actually qualify for revenue sharing money from other teams.

I don't know the Mets funding but the Yanks are putting up the entire 800+ million. The city will pay for road, train stuff but the Yanks will also pay to create and renovate some parks in the area.

I don't think this would affect any stadium issues the Bills may have.

Bill Brasky
04-06-2006, 12:52 PM
That's one that George is going to step into next season. On ereport said the Yanks may actually qualify for revenue sharing money from other teams.

I don't know the Mets funding but the Yanks are putting up the entire 800+ million. The city will pay for road, train stuff but the Yanks will also pay to create and renovate some parks in the area.

I don't think this would affect any stadium issues the Bills may have.

If that is the case then I guess I was misguided. I am actually surprised the Yankees are doing that. I actually have a little bit of respect for them by doing that. At least they didn't try to rape the upstate tax base like the Giants/Jets tried.

EricStratton
04-06-2006, 12:57 PM
From what I remember George pays about 80-100 million a year in revenue sharing/luxury tax money so by funding his own stadium he will make back the 800 million cost in 8-10 years anyway.

I’m sure he’s getting tax breaks (he pays no property tax right now, that will probably continue) so the team will make the cost back pretty fast.

Mski
04-06-2006, 03:02 PM
not to mention that with George owning the stadium and the team he gets to keep more revenue... and more then quadruples the resale value of the team
george is getting fairly old