PDA

View Full Version : Did Bunkley Disappear or Something?

patmoran2006
04-06-2006, 08:01 PM
Why is Broderik Bunkley not even being discussed anymore as the 8th overall pick?

Now while I admit my first three desired picks are Davis, Huff and Young (in that order), I would not be at all upset if we took Bunkley, even at eight if we were unable to trade down.

This ridiculous talk about drafting Winston Justice 8th needs to stop. For starters, he's not even a damn left tackle.. I for one don't want a guy protecting my already suspect QB(s) BLIND SIDE as a rookie who doesnt even play the position!! For another, if marv really "means' what he says about high character, then I dont care if he's on top of the board, you dont take a guy who messed up not once, but TWICE in school and got suspended for an entire year.. Second, third round maybe you take a flyer, NOT the 8th pick in the draft.. Clueless man, clueless.

Eric Winston showed at the combine and workouts that his knee is 100% healthy. On top of that he's a PURE left tackle. You can trade down half way through the first round and still get him, if LT is your #1 priority.

Johnathan Scott is a second rounder who's a LT. Andrew Whitworth is very talented and likely to be there in the top half of the third.

Derek Morris is a big-time sleeper in this draft who will be there in the third round.. Read about him
http://www.nfldraftalmanac.com/rankings.php?c=34&a=298

Jeremy Trueblood is another good player, who's a second or third rounder.

The moral of the story is taking a chance on the 8th pick on a player who's ability to play LEFT tackle is unproven, let alone his character and maturity issues is absolutely stupid.
==========================================================
I still say Davis or Huff, but this thread isn't about them.. Plus, I've went over Davis a million times.

ONTO to another "Need"
Bunkley is a lot more valuable than Winston Justice at #8 (if we dont or cant trade down) For starters, Gandy is a better starter than Tim Anderson. Second, if you dont have someone good next to Tripplett he was a waste of an expensive signing. Bunkley's size, strength and speed fit Fewel's defense to a TEE... THere is good depth at DT, but not quite as much as there is at LT.

A lot of the depth at DT is either over-sized run stuffers or good players with character issues (which again is supposed to be Anti-Levy philosophy).. Gabe Watson and Wroten come to mind.

So its pretty easy to see.. That Winston Justice is a "reach" pick for the 8th spot.. I prefer my "skill" guy in davis but if we want to talk plan SENSE... Then Bunkley should be the pick for the bills.

ICE74129
04-06-2006, 08:21 PM
Why is Broderik Bunkley not even being discussed anymore as the 8th overall pick?

Now while I admit my first three desired picks are Davis, Huff and Young (in that order), I would not be at all upset if we took Bunkley, even at eight if we were unable to trade down.

So your picks are ignore the lines, ignore the lines and ingore the lines. That is how we stay the laughing stock of the league.

This ridiculous talk about drafting Winston Justice 8th needs to stop. For starters, he's not even a damn left tackle.. I for one don't want a guy protecting my already suspect QB(s) BLIND SIDE as a rookie who doesnt even play the position!! For another, if marv really "means' what he says about high character, then I dont care if he's on top of the board, you dont take a guy who messed up not once, but TWICE in school and got suspended for an entire year.. Second, third round maybe you take a flyer, NOT the 8th pick in the draft.. Clueless man, clueless.

Yeah I agree...John fox and the other coaches that have him in thier top 10 are clueless. What are they thinking? Kids make mistakes all the time. And from the posts here, is this a football board or Church?

Eric Winston showed at the combine and workouts that his knee is 100% healthy. On top of that he's a PURE left tackle. You can trade down half way through the first round and still get him, if LT is your #1 priority.

If you have a trade partner and if you dont' drop so far you lose him. But if you dont' have a trade partner, you take a guy that can be your left tackle. Remember the great GM's feel that LT, QB and RDE are the cornerstones of any good franchise. We are maybe at QB and have no LT worth mentioning. But hey, I got that from Bill Polian, what does he know?

Johnathan Scott is a second rounder who's a LT. Andrew Whitworth is very talented and likely to be there in the top half of the third.

If you have the chance to take the one of the top two talents at a need position, you take it. Bill Cowher. And it's pretty much a known thing. No need to put 3rd round talent in there when you can get one of the top talents at a need position in the draft.

Derek Morris is a big-time sleeper in this draft who will be there in the third round.. Read about him

Sleeper vs a known commodity? I mean Justice and winston faced top talent all the time at thier schools. Why not take one of the top guys?

The moral of the story is taking a chance on the 8th pick on a player who's ability to play LEFT tackle is unproven, let alone his character and maturity issues is absolutely stupid.

The only absurdly stupid thing is not taking a top talent on the OL when it is there for the taking.
I still say Davis or Huff, but this thread isn't about them.. Plus, I've went over Davis a million times.

ONTO to another "Need"
Bunkley is a lot more valuable than Winston Justice at #8 (if we dont or cant trade down) For starters, Gandy is a better starter than Tim Anderson. Second, if you dont have someone good next to Tripplett he was a waste of an expensive signing. Bunkley's size, strength and speed fit Fewel's defense to a TEE... THere is good depth at DT, but not quite as much as there is at LT.

Actually it is reverse. The talent at OT drops off very quickly after the top 3 OT's (which is why you grab one at #8) Whereas you can get a good talent at DT in round 2.

A lot of the depth at DT is either over-sized run stuffers or good players with character issues (which again is supposed to be Anti-Levy philosophy).. Gabe Watson and Wroten come to mind.

So its pretty easy to see.. That Winston Justice is a "reach" pick for the 8th spot.. I prefer my "skill" guy in davis but if we want to talk plan SENSE... Then Bunkley should be the pick for the bills.

Talking sense, You take a top talent at tackle every time unless you have one. We have a reject that was out of football before coming to Buffalo at LT. He is a quality backup. It is well past time to do what is needed and do what is correct and take a quality LT prospect.

Nighthawk
04-06-2006, 08:30 PM

ONTO to another "Need"

Pat, I do agree with some points, but please don't make it sound like it is a reach for Justice at #8...because it is not. Let's go back a couple of years when there were 2 tackles available to the Bills in the 4 spot of the draft. One was huge man with "great feet" and the other one had some character issues. I'm pretty sure that everybody on this board would go back and take McKinnie over Williams. I really wanted McKinnie at that spot, but we ended up with Big Mike, who was a Big Bust. IMO, Justice will be fine, character wise and we would be lucky to have him on this team.

ICE74129
04-06-2006, 08:33 PM
Pat, I do agree with some points, but please don't make it sound like it is a reach for Justice at #8...because it is not. Let's go back a couple of years when there were 2 tackles available to the Bills in the 4 spot of the draft. One was huge man with "great feet" and the other one had some character issues. I'm pretty sure that everybody on this board would go back and take McKinnie over Williams. I really wanted McKinnie at that spot, but we ended up with Big Mike, who was a Big Bust. IMO, Justice will be fine, character wise and we would be lucky to have him on this team.

You know what is funny. Me and a couple others were the ONLY people saying....Levi Jones. But hey, I didn't know anything....

patmoran2006
04-06-2006, 08:38 PM
You know what is funny. Me and a couple others were the ONLY people saying....Levi Jones. But hey, I didn't know anything....

Well if you want to use Levi Jones, the THIRD ranked tackle in that draft then what you are saying is that BOTH are a reach and we should be looking at Eric Winston..

Mr. Pink
04-06-2006, 08:39 PM

http://espn.go.com/melkiper/index.html

Justice 22nd overall prospect in draft according to Kiper.

We draft 8th.....taking a guy who is projected 14 slots lower than where you are selecting is a reach.

We need a DE too...so lets take Kamerion Wimbley at 8, he's only slated 23th overall.

Nighthawk
04-06-2006, 08:40 PM
Well if you want to use Levi Jones, the THIRD ranked tackle in that draft then what you are saying is that BOTH are a reach and we should be looking at Eric Winston..

Umm, you're incorrect. The third rated Tackle in this draft is McNeil from Auburn...who I wouldn't mind seeing in a Bills uniform either.

Dozerdog
04-06-2006, 08:41 PM
Umm, you're incorrect. The third rated Tackle in this draft is McNeil from Virginia...who I wouldn't mind seeing in a Bills uniform either.Skill wise I'll agree- but he has serious back issues.

Nighthawk
04-06-2006, 08:47 PM
Skill wise I'll agree- but he has serious back issues.

I agree...there are a lot of questions with the Tackles in this draft after you get by Brick & Justice. That is why I feel the Bills should grab Justice if they can. I'm really not too concerned with his off field issues, they aren't that big of a deal and he has matured and seems to have moved on from them.

patmoran2006
04-06-2006, 08:49 PM
Umm, you're incorrect. The third rated Tackle in this draft is McNeil from Auburn...who I wouldn't mind seeing in a Bills uniform either.
Personally I think that Winston goes before McNeil in this draft.. But regardless of which one goes first.. My point was he is on his Levi Jones kick again, which just CONTRADICTS that we NEED Winston Justice at eight.

MckInnnie/Wililiams first two tackles = Levi Jones taken after and the best. ( to this point, I agree)

Brick/Justice - Indicates we should take NEITHER as they're too high and go with Eric Winston (Or McNeil) as a lower pick and they will be as good or better anyway. Its the SAME thing as the Levi Jones deal.

no?

patmoran2006
04-06-2006, 08:49 PM
Lets stick to the topic though..

IS DT not the biggest need on this team?? with Tim Anderson starting, it seems it is to me.

Bmax
04-06-2006, 08:50 PM
jUSTICE IS HOT NEWS BECAUSE OF THE RECENT USC PRO DAY...Now Bunkley is a great prospect....Terrific athlete.....Justice fits in the same catergory...I guess scouts with years of nfl experience disagree with you. Otherwise he would not be rated as high as he is ....Left tackles are top 10 guys not RT...Justice has the ability to make the shift. If you are talking impact then Bunkley is your man...He will start right away and makes plays for our def. Justic will take some time then be a player in a year or so.....

Remember Pat Bunkley is not squeekly clen...He was arresred for stealing a video game... Huff fits the profile...good background...great player will provide impact ...Need position....HMM...

Also remember Ngata may be totally out of the picture...Some scouts say he could fit the 3-4 or 4-3 alignment..Plus he could play the one ot two gap position as a dt...WHO KNOWS.... My money is leaning toward Bunkley .. Last week it was Justice.....I guess that could all change next week depending on the info....

Bunkley seems like the best choice now over justice .. Not because of what justice did or could do .. but because of the impact that bunkley will instantly bring to the bills def.

Oh by the way...Whitworth and trueblood.. LT's in college looks like a RT's in the nfl... And Scott looks to weak to be a good player right away lifting 225 only 17 times...

Bmax..

Maybe i'll take my chances with College in rd 2 or Guy whimper late in rd 5 or 6....

Dozerdog
04-06-2006, 08:51 PM
I can't endorse Bunkley as #1 overall until I see who's on the board at 8 - or see if there is trade possibilities

Nighthawk
04-06-2006, 08:53 PM
Lets stick to the topic though..

IS DT not the biggest need on this team?? with Tim Anderson starting, it seems it is to me.

Very large need, but I believe there is better value in the 2nd round for DT than there is for Offensive Tackles. That is why I'm leaning towards Justice in the first. You can get a quality DT who can start right away in the 2nd. I'm not so sure you can get an offensive tackle.

Nighthawk
04-06-2006, 08:54 PM
I can't endorse Bunkley as #1 overall until I see who's on the board at 8 - or see if there is trade possibilities

Very true!

Philagape
04-06-2006, 08:55 PM
:monkeyp: Projections

patmoran2006
04-06-2006, 08:56 PM
jUSTICE IS HOT NEWS BECAUSE OF THE RECENT USC PRO DAY...Now Bunkley is a great prospect....Terrific athlete.....Justice fits in the same catergory...I guess scouts with years of nfl experience disagree with you. Otherwise he would not be rated as high as he is ....Left tackles are top 10 guys not RT...Justice has the ability to make the shift. If you are talking impact then Bunkley is your man...He will start right away and makes plays for our def. Justic will take some time then be a player in a year or so.....

Remember Pat Bunkley is not squeekly clen...He was arresred for stealing a video game... Huff fits the profile...good background...great player will provide impact ...Need position....HMM...

Also remember Ngata may be totally out of the picture...Some scouts say he could fit the 3-4 or 4-3 alignment..Plus he could play the one ot two gap position as a dt...WHO KNOWS.... My money is leaning toward Bunkley .. Last week it was Justice.....I guess that could all change next week depending on the info....

Bunkley seems like the best choice know over justice .. Not because of what justice did or could do .. but because of the impact that bunkley will instantly bring to the bills def.

Oh by the way...Whitworth and trueblood.. LT's in college looks like a RT's in the nfl... And Scott looks to weak to be a good player right away lifting 225 only 17 times...

Bmax..

Maybe i'll take my chances with College in rd 2 or Guy whimper late in rd 5 or 6....

You know me, I say Piss on Bunkley and Justice and I'd take Vernon Davis. But oh well.

I would like Justice a lot more with our pick if we trade down to 13 with Baltimore (so they can get a QB) because then I feel like we got Justice AND a second round pick. If we have to stay at 8, I'd rather have Bunkley (of the two)

LOL< this team cant even get LOSING RIGHT in 2005.. Stuck in a draft spot where Need doesnt match the value. Too bad Safety isnt our biggest need or Quarterback, we'd all be pumped.

Philagape
04-06-2006, 09:01 PM
:monkeyp: Value

LifetimeBillsFan
04-07-2006, 02:46 AM

I TOTALLY agree with you Dozer!

There is still a lot of time between now and the day of the draft and things can change dramatically between now and then. Just yesterday everyone had the Saints taking Mario Williams with the # 2 pick in the draft and that is not likely to happen now. Last week, LenDale White was a top 15 pick--not now, but who knows.... Will the Jets take Cutler if Leinart goes to the Titans? If so, will the Raiders grab Young with their pick? Or, will someone ahead of the Bills trade out of their spot so that a team that is hot for a certain player can grab the guy they want (ie: will Minny trade up to get Cutler if he gets past the Jets?)?

None of us has the answers to those questions yet and it would be stupid of the Bills (or any other NFL team for that matter) in the situation that they are in to make up their mind about who they are going to pick at this stage of the game. Unlike in some previous years, this is not a cut-and-dry draft where it is obvious what the first 4-5 picks in the draft are going to be and it is likely that the top 10 picks will all go to form--this is proving to be a very fluid draft where there is likely to be a lot of talk about movement--if not actual draft day trades--right up to the moment when many of the teams picking before the Bills at # 8 send in their cards to the commissioner.

Justice? Bunkley? Davis? Ngata? Do you know how the Bills have them rated on their draft board today? Can you say for certain how they will be set on that board on draft day? If you can, then you must be clairvoyant because I don't think Marv Levy could tell you right now, with absolute clarity, who will be at the top of the board on draft day, let alone by the time the Bills make their pick--which may or may not be the # 8 pick!

Who would you pick if Mario Williams falls to the Bills at # 8? Do you pass him up for Justice or Bunkley? What if the Vikings or Lions want to trade up for the # 8 pick? Or, if one of those teams trades up ahead of the Bills to take a QB?

It seems to me that it is ridiculous at this stage to be arguing with such vehemence that the Bills should take one specific player, ie Justice, or another, ie Bunkley, without knowing what other choices may be available for certain. Yes, there are some guys who like Justice over Bunkley or vice versa and others who like Davis, others who think Ngata might be the better choice, etc., but there are still a lot of scenarios that could play out that might make all of those picks look foolish--and that's without having a clue about what the Bills think about any of these players. The Bills' staff has had a chance to talk with all of these players, see them work in person and on film, evaluate their psychological profiles, and discuss how the staff sees them fitting or not fitting and projecting into the team's schemes. I would be willing to bet that there isn't a single person associated with this messageboard that has been privy to that information. And, without that information there is no way to make an informed assessment of which player would be a better choice than the others.

So, let's wait and see how this plays out. We all know who the top prospects are and have some ideas of what they may be able to bring to the team. Let's see who is still on the board when the Bills get to their pick and what happens at that point. One thing we know is that, if the Bills do use the # 8 pick, they are going to have some pretty good options to choose from. But, at this stage we cannot say for certain exactly what every option they will have will be.

Night Train
04-07-2006, 02:51 AM
Why would you pay a DT top 10 $$ to be part of a rotation and stand on the sidelines for 30 % of the Defensive snaps ?

acehole
04-07-2006, 07:24 AM
Bunkley is the best "3" spot dt in the draft...and we need one.
This bills will look long and hard at him Justice ,young, Huff,
I think they want to trade down get more picks and draft
Eric Winston....maybe Claud Wroten in the seconds. Truth is
They will take the player at the top of there board because
they have to make a millionare out of him and they don't
want to gamble anymore. ICE we got the memo on Justice.
If he is not at the top of there board he isnt at the top
of there board...period. Truth is he tried to pick up a
hooker! I see Marv cringing reading his bio. It just doent fit.
No-sense arguing about it. It may happen. One argument against
DT in the first is the draft is deep at the position. Huff or davis...
well wow you build an offense or deffense aronund those guys
for a decade. Who know what they will do....whats more interesting
is what happens abouve us in this draft...NO looks like Dbrick now they traded there LT and bush at one....the rest is a mystery. I know that
if there is a QB on the board at our pick some team will offer us a trade
hopefully not more then 5-8 spots down..that would be cool. We save money
increase our chances of getting good players...fill holes and save $$.

Win win win.