PDA

View Full Version : Updated Mock Draft

patmoran2006
04-06-2006, 10:30 PM
Houston- Reggie Bush, RB (USC)He’ll be signed before the draft. Any questions as to whether <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>Houston</st1:place></st1:City> would take him were erased after USC’s pro-day workout on April 2. With Eric Moulds and Mike Flanagan as solid additions, this <st1:City><st1:place>Houston</st1:place></st1:City> offense will get better quickly.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>

New Orleans- Mario Williams, DE (NC State)You can’t pass on potentially the next Bruce Smith or Julius Peppers. Losing Darren Howard last month makes this an easy pick. Athletically gifted as any defensive end to come around in a long time.
<o:p> </o:p>

Tennessee- Matt Leinart, QB (USC)Forget the questions lingering his arm strength. Do you remember the fourth-and-17 play against Notre Dame last year? This guy always delivers when it matters most. He’s got all the intangibles that great NFL quarterbacks are made of.

<st1:State><st1:place>New York</st1:place></st1:State> Jets- Vince Young, QB (<st1:State><st1:place>Texas</st1:place></st1:State>)Yes they still have Chad Pennington and Patrick Ramsey. Yes, they have holes all over the field. Here’s the thing; you don’t get too many chances to draft a player like Vince Young and when you do, you don’t pass him up. A marqee player in a marqee city is the perfect marriage for Young, who won’t have the pressure of starting from day one.

Green Bay- D’Brickshaw <st1:City><st1:place>Ferguson</st1:place></st1:City>, T (Virginia)His name may be at the podium before Tagliabue can finish saying “The Packers are now on the clock.”

San Francisco- AJ Hawk, LB (<st1:place><st1:PlaceName>Ohio</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType>State</st1:PlaceType></st1:place>)More than makes up for losing Julian Peterson. Hawk can potentially be the best player in the entire draft. Few linebackers over the past several years have been drafted this high but Hawk is an exception. The draft is loaded with linebackers but the 49ers would be crazy to leave Hawk on the board.

Oakland- Michael Huff, S (<st1:State><st1:place>Texas</st1:place></st1:State>)The Raiders will look long and hard at Jay Cutler, but in the end will stick with Brooks and/or Walter at quarterback. Huff is versatile and can either play safety or corner. He just seems destined to wear the silver and black of <st1:City><st1:place>Oakland</st1:place></st1:City>. Let’s hope the Raiders have more luck here than they had with Charles Woodson.

<st1:City><st1:place>Buffalo</st1:place></st1:City>- <st1:City><st1:place>Vernon</st1:place></st1:City> <st1:City><st1:place>Davis</st1:place></st1:City>, TE (<st1:State><st1:place>Maryland</st1:place></st1:State>)On a team with many needs this isn’t necessarily one of them. Simply put, he’s far too good to pass up. With Eric Moulds gone, Lee Evans needs someone who can actually make plays. Whomever is quarterbacking the Bills this years needs a reliable safety net (one who can also take that five-yard pass and go fifty yards.) <st1:City><st1:place>Davis</st1:place></st1:City> can do more to make an entire offense better than any player in the draft, including Bush.

Detroit- Ernie Sims, LB (FSU)Barely considered a first-rounder a month or so ago, Sims is flying up the draft charts. He’s compared often to Derrick Brooks. For all their skilled offensive weapons, the Lions need to stop someone on defense. He’s a great start.

Arizona- Jay Cutler, QB (Vandy)Meet Kurt Warner’s future replacement. As often as Warner gets injured that may be sooner rather than later. Could go offensive or defensive line at this spot but all of <st1:State><st1:place>Arizona</st1:place></st1:State>’s offensive weapons go for naught if Warner goes down or struggles.

St. Louis- Haloti Ngata, DT (<st1:State><st1:place>Oregon</st1:place></st1:State>)The Rams lost Ryan Pickett (Packers) and Damoine Lewis (Panthers) while picking up an aging La’Roi Glover. This more than makes the trade even.

Cleveland- Broderik Bunkley, DT (FSU)Perfect heir apparent for short-term starting nose guard Ted Washington. Bunkley gets the benefit of learning defense from one of the game’s best all-time run stuffers, and having Romeo Crennel as coach also helps.

Baltimore- Winston Justice, T (USC)Let’s face it; the Ravens have no offensive line past Johnathan Ogden, who’s getting up their in age. The Ravens hoped to land a quarterback but when the top three are all gone Justice makes the most sense. A good pro-day helped his stock, though character issues are still in question. The feeling here is Ray Lewis will squash any bad attitude he may have left.

<st1:place><st1:City>Philadelphia-</st1:City> <st1:country-region>Chad</st1:country-region></st1:place> Jackson, WR (<st1:State><st1:place>Florida</st1:place></st1:State>)I’ve had Lendale White in this spot in all of my previous mocks. His workout (or lack of) puts an end to his first-round dreams. <st1:City><st1:place>Jackson</st1:place></st1:City> is the clear cut best receiver in this draft and after failing to land a replacement for Terrel Owens this becomes both a luxury and need pick.

Denver- Santonio Holmes, WR (<st1:place><st1:PlaceName>Ohio</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType>State</st1:PlaceType></st1:place>)Probably had their sights set on <st1:City><st1:place>Jackson</st1:place></st1:City> but Holmes is a good alternative. Expect <st1:City><st1:place>Denver</st1:place></st1:City> to try and use their two first rounders to move into the top eight for Vernon Davis, but if they fail Holmes is the most player of use to them at this spot.

Miami- Jimmy Williams, S (Virginia Tech)Comes with loads of ability and loads of question marks surrounding his attitude. Nick Saban proved with Ricky Williams he isn’t afraid to take a chance on a guy with ability. Potentially Williams is as good as Huff, maybe even better.

Minnesota- Tye Hill, CB (Clemson)Another team that’s very likely to try and move up. The Vikings own six first-day picks. If they stay at 17 they’ll take the best player available. Hill is that best player.

Dallas- Jason Allen, S (<st1:State><st1:place>Tennessee</st1:place></st1:State>)The Cowboys had an extreme high-risk, high-reward offseason. Allen is that same kind of player. He’ll bring better coverage skills at safety to allow Roy Williams to continue to move up and make more plays. He’s 100% over his hip injury.

San Diego- Kelly <st1:City><st1:place>Jennings</st1:place></st1:City>, CB (<st1:City><st1:place>Miami</st1:place></st1:City>)Considered one of the top man-to-man cornerbacks in the draft and a relatively safe pick at this point.<o:p></o:p>

Kansas City- Kamerion Wimbley, LB (<st1:City><st1:place>Kansas City</st1:place></st1:City>)<o:p></o:p>Would team with Derrick Johnson to give the Chiefs a lethal duo at the outside linebacker spot. The Chiefs also need corner help but they’ll find it later on day one.<o:p></o:p>

New England- DeAngelo Williams, RB (<st1:City><st1:place>Memphis</st1:place></st1:City>)<o:p></o:p>Remember how I told you how <st1:City><st1:place>Green Bay</st1:place></st1:City> would sprint to the podium at pick five if Brick is still on the board? Well ditto for <st1:place>New England</st1:place> at this spot. Williams could be the steal of the first round with the Patriots.<o:p></o:p>

Denver- Eric Winston, T (<st1:City><st1:place>Miami</st1:place></st1:City>)<o:p></o:p>At this spot, if they keep it, the Broncos will go for the best player available. Winston is regarded as being every bit as good as Justice. The Broncos have a knack for taking valuable linemen all over the draft board. Winston is another one.<o:p></o:p>

<st1:place><st1:PlaceName>Tampa</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType>Bay-</st1:PlaceType></st1:place> Manny <st1:place><st1:City>Lawson</st1:City>, <st1:State>DE</st1:State></st1:place>/LB (NC State)<o:p></o:p>Mr. Brooks, meet your eventual replacement. Lawson is a top 15 talent. While the Bucs vary in overall team performance from year to year, one thing stays consistent; their defense is good. Lawson will be a great player in this system.<o:p></o:p>

Cincinnati- Donte Whitner, S (<st1:place><st1:PlaceName>Ohio</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType>State</st1:PlaceType></st1:place>)<o:p></o:p>The Bengals entered the off season needing to shore up their secondary and defensive line. Signing Sam Adams was a big help up front and drafting Whitner at safety is a big step toward a respectable defense.<o:p></o:p>

<st1:State><st1:place>New York</st1:place></st1:State> <st1:place><st1:City>Giants-</st1:City> <st1:country-region>Chad</st1:country-region></st1:place> Greenway, LB (<st1:State><st1:place>Iowa</st1:place></st1:State>)<o:p></o:p>Greenway has slipped some this off season but he fills a huge need for the Giants at this spot. His numbers won’t impress you but he’s one of those guys that always seems to be around the ball.<o:p></o:p>

Chicago- Jonathan Joseph, CB (<st1:State><st1:place>South Carolina</st1:place></st1:State>)<o:p></o:p>Why would a team with such a great defense use their first round pick on another defender? Because Charles Tillman was awful down the stretch for the Bears in 2005. Look for them to take Joseph here and a receiver in round two.<o:p></o:p>

Carolina- Leonard Pope, TE (Georgia)<o:p></o:p>With the signing of Keshawn Johnson some pressure was lifted from Steve Smith’s shoulders. This pick will help even more. Pope is raw but has a ton of upside (and size). He should be able to make a positive impact on a <st1:City><st1:place>Carolina</st1:place></st1:City> offense real close to becoming great.<o:p></o:p>

Jacksonville- Laurence Maroney, RB (<st1:State><st1:place>Minnesota</st1:place></st1:State>)<o:p></o:p>This move does two huge things; it helps with insurance over an aging and oft-injured Fred Taylor and it shocks division rival <st1:City><st1:place>Indianapolis</st1:place></st1:City> in the process; who counted on drafting Maroney.<o:p></o:p>

<st1:State><st1:place>New York</st1:place></st1:State> Jets- Nick Mangold, C (<st1:place><st1:PlaceName>Ohio</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType>State</st1:PlaceType></st1:place>)<o:p></o:p>The only center rated a first rounder in the draft. The Jets have to replace Kevin Mawae and even if they sign a veteran like Trey Teague, it will only be a short term fix. Mangold is the real deal.<o:p></o:p>

Indianapolis- Daniel Bullocks, S (<st1:State><st1:place>Nebraska</st1:place></st1:State>)<o:p></o:p>This shows you far LenDale White has fallen. The Colts desperately need a running back but if the board is like this at #30 they’ll pass until later in the draft. As a nice consolation prize, Bullocks is a prototypical NFL safety who fits perfectly into the Colts defensive scheme.<o:p></o:p>

Seattle- Tamba Hali, DE (<st1:place><st1:PlaceName>Penn</st1:PlaceName> <st1:PlaceType>State</st1:PlaceType></st1:place>)<o:p></o:p>A team that can afford to take the best player available will do just that. Hali was at one time a top ten pick but his stock has decreased steadily. Many don’t think he’s big enough to play effectively at the NFL level. I think they’re wrong, and so will <st1:City><st1:place>Seattle</st1:place></st1:City>.<o:p></o:p>

Pittsburgh- Darnell Bing, S (USC)<o:p></o:p>Would be reunited with his old college buddy, Troy Polamalu. Losing Hope to the Titans make this pick even more logical. Bing’s ferocious hitting is a nice fit for a Bill Cowher defense.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Bills Other Picks on Day One<o:p></o:p>
Round 2- Gabe Watson, DT: Bills may be taking a chance with him but the payoff could pay big dividends.<o:p></o:p>
Round 3a- Andrew Whitworth, T : Great value for round three.<o:p></o:p>
Round 3b: Kevin Boothe, G: Bills need a guard and he’s from Cornell. Plus he can play. Perfect fit.<o:p></o:p>

ICE74129
04-06-2006, 10:35 PM
I say NO takes D'brick. They just traded away their current LT today. Davis will go to SF. Carolina plans on taking a RB to backup the oft injured Foster. Remember not having a good stable of RB's is what cost them this year.

TE round 2 for Carolina

Turf
04-06-2006, 10:37 PM
Interesting, a lot of it almost makes sense.

Devin
04-06-2006, 10:39 PM
NO is high on Mario but they have Will Smith who is coming along very nicely and Charles Grant is still a starting calibur DE. Id guess either Brick or their biggest need LB...Hawk.

patmoran2006
04-06-2006, 10:41 PM
I did this before NO traded Gandy.. But IM gonna stick to this, because im too lazy to change the top six around again. .

ICE74129
04-06-2006, 10:44 PM
I did this before NO traded Gandy.. But IM gonna stick to this, because im too lazy to change the top six around again. . HA! I actually have to :bf1: that one.

I still think Cuttler is there at 8. When he is, we trade down with someone.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
04-06-2006, 10:44 PM
Pat, I think your love affair with Davis is clouding your judgment :)
First, I dont think he lasts to 8 and second we need OL!
But your draft is well thought out.
Regards :)

DraftBoy
04-06-2006, 10:46 PM
Why not take Wrotten in the 2nd?

1. TE Vernon Davis Maryland
2. DT Claude Wrotten Miami
3a. OT Andrew Whitworth LSU
3b. OG Kevin Boothe Cornell
4. DE Ray Edwards Purdue
5a. S Antoine Bethea Howard
5b. QB Tavaris Jackson ASU/QB Erik Meyer ...which ever one
6. CB Chijioke Onyenegecha Oklahoma
7a. WR Jeff Webb SD St
7b. RB Selvim Young Texas

Slim
04-06-2006, 10:47 PM
I did this before NO traded Gandy.. But IM gonna stick to this, because im too lazy to change the top six around again. .

It's a good mock,i think the Raiders pick a QB in round 1 though.

Devin
04-06-2006, 10:47 PM
Just dont see Marv taking Wrotten with "off the field issues".

DraftBoy
04-06-2006, 10:48 PM
Just dont see Marv taking Wrotten with "off the field issues".

Taking Davis? If thats who, what off the field issues? If its Justice then, I agree 100%.

Mr. Pink
04-06-2006, 10:48 PM
Hey Pat, who do you have Cleveland getting in round 2 and 3? Me as the "biggest Browns fan around" as you proclaimed wants your opinion. Thanks :)

ICE74129
04-06-2006, 10:50 PM

4. DE Ray Edwards Purdue
7a. WR Jeff Webb SD St

#3 reminds me of Mike Williams. What does he weigh again? I like the fact he is out of the SEC, but I still want one of the top 3 tackles in the draft.

patmoran2006
04-06-2006, 10:50 PM
Pat, I think your love affair with Davis is clouding your judgment :)
First, I dont think he lasts to 8 and second we need OL!
But your draft is well thought out.
Regards :)

My affair with Davis is well documented indeed my friend. I said in another thread earlier, my prediction is he changes the TE position like LT did at Linebacker and Rice did at WR.. I thought he'd be gone too for sure (and he might be still) but if the Jets do take a QB I think SF takes Hawk at six and its on the Raiders to take Huff or Davis.. Cant' blame me for hoping, we might suck this year, but in 2-3 years every rapper on TV is gonna be sporting a Bills "80" (yes he will take that ***** Moulds number too) jersey.. Love this dude, and he's SMART and well -spoken.

Anyway.

Hell must be freezing over because this is the second straight thread within 15 minutes that I totally agree with Ice. haha. I also think Cutler is there at eight and I think that we trade down with either balt (13), Denver (15) or Minnesota (17).

I did my mock with a no-trade rule.

ICE74129
04-06-2006, 10:52 PM
My affair with Davis is well documented indeed my friend. I said in another thread earlier, my prediction is he changes the TE position like LT did at Linebacker and Rice did at WR.. I thought he'd be gone too for sure (and he might be still) but if the Jets do take a QB I think SF takes Hawk at six and its on the Raiders to take Huff or Davis.. Cant' blame me for hoping, we might suck this year, but in 2-3 years every rapper on TV is gonna be sporting a Bills "80" (yes he will take that ***** Moulds number too) jersey.. Love this dude, and he's SMART and well -spoken.

Anyway.

Hell must be freezing over because this is the second straight thread within 15 minutes that I totally agree with Ice. haha. I also think Cutler is there at eight and I think that we trade down with either balt (13), Denver (15) or Minnesota (17).

I did my mock with a no-trade rule.

You really think Denver? I can see Balt, and Minn but Denver? How old is Jake P? It also seems he has just now hit his stride out there.

patmoran2006
04-06-2006, 10:52 PM

4. DE Ray Edwards Purdue
7a. WR Jeff Webb SD St

Good question. I got Wroten going before the Bills pick in round two, at 37 to Oakland.. Fitting eh?

DraftBoy
04-06-2006, 10:54 PM
Good question. I got Wroten going before the Bills pick in round two, at 37 to Oakland.. Fitting eh?

Oakland needs DT's but I dont see them liking Wrotten they run their 3-4 and he wont fit it. I think he should be there for us in rd 2. No comments on the rest of the picks? Btw Whitworth in rd 3 is a friggin steal! And Boothe may just be the steal of the draft. I could see Whitworth starting for us right now.

patmoran2006
04-06-2006, 10:55 PM
Hey Pat, who do you have Cleveland getting in round 2 and 3? Me as the "biggest Browns fan around" as you proclaimed wants your opinion. Thanks :)

Cleveland

Round 2 (43) Johnathan Scott, OT (Texas)

Round 3 (78) William Blackmon, CB (BC) : Plus he can play WR when BRaylon Edwards goes down by week four.

Mr. Pink
04-06-2006, 10:56 PM
And I think Denver with their 2nd first pick takes LenDale White.

Then we all get to watch the fat, lazy bastard run for like 1600 yards, face it Tatum Bell is too fragile to carry the workload as an every down back. And he runs away with NFL ROY honors. Gotta love being rewarded for not caring on pro day.

DraftBoy
04-06-2006, 10:56 PM
#3 reminds me of Mike Williams. What does he weigh again? I like the fact he is out of the SEC, but I still want one of the top 3 tackles in the draft.

Whitworth is 6'7 322 and is jsut plain nasty. Unlike Williams he plays with fire and punishes opposing DE's all day long. He has a punch that you wouldnt believe and has played against the best like Jerome Mincey from UF.

patmoran2006
04-06-2006, 10:58 PM
Oakland needs DT's but I dont see them liking Wrotten they run their 3-4 and he wont fit it. I think he should be there for us in rd 2. No comments on the rest of the picks? Btw Whitworth in rd 3 is a friggin steal! And Boothe may just be the steal of the draft. I could see Whitworth starting for us right now.

I agree with you about Boothe.. Let the USC fat guards get the hype and go in round two. I'd rather have Boothe than any guard in the draft other than Joseph and Spencer.

I like Whitworth as well, 6-7, 334.. I dont know about starting as a rookie, but def by 2007..

DraftBoy

Then we all get to watch the fat, lazy bastard run for like 1600 yards, face it Tatum Bell is too fragile to carry the workload as an every down back. And he runs away with NFL ROY honors. Gotta love being rewarded for not carrying on pro day.

I dont think they'll go with White they still have Dayne behind Bell.

ICE74129
Whitworth is 6'7 322 and is jsut plain nasty. Unlike Williams he plays with fire and punishes opposing DE's all day long. He has a punch that you wouldnt believe and has played against the best like Jerome Mincey from UF.

AH! for some reason I had him at 355 or so. Dont' know where the hell I got that from. Again I like the competition he had to face playing in the SEC.

DraftBoy
04-06-2006, 10:59 PM
I agree with you about Boothe.. Let the USC fat guards get the hype and go in round two. I'd rather have Boothe than any guard in the draft other than Joseph and Spencer.

I like Whitworth as well, 6-7, 334.. I dont know about starting as a rookie, but def by 2007..

You prefer a season with Gandy in at LT, or just throw Whitworth in there and let him learn on the job. I think he can do it. Not sure where he projects in the pros, I think it may be a RT. Not sure though.

ICE74129
04-06-2006, 11:00 PM
You prefer a season with Gandy in at LT, or just throw Whitworth in there and let him learn on the job. I think he can do it. Not sure where he projects in the pros, I think it may be a RT. Not sure though.

If we take a LT in the first two rounds....he starts NOW. There is not a better time to let a LT get OJT. Put royal over there to help if need be. By 07 we are rocking and rolling

Mr. Pink
04-06-2006, 11:00 PM
BTW that was cold on Braylon, Pat, real cold. I'd neg rep you, but it doesn't look like it would matter..... :rofl:

SquishDaFish
04-06-2006, 11:01 PM
Tennessee- Matt Leinart, QB (USC)Forget the questions lingering his arm strength. Do you remember the fourth-and-17 play against Notre Dame last year? This guy always delivers when it matters most. He’s got all the intangibles that great NFL quarterbacks are made of.

Too bad ND stopped his arse on the goaline and ND should of won that game,

patmoran2006
04-06-2006, 11:02 PM

I prefered Gandy got cut the day Levy was hired, but that didnt happen. I'd love to have a new starter at LT but I'd rather have two new guards, as its the middle of our OL that is absolutley horrid.

Gandy's not the worst LT in history.. Villarrial and Anderson are by far to me the weakest links.

ICE74129
04-06-2006, 11:04 PM
I prefered Gandy got cut the day Levy was hired, but that didnt happen. I'd love to have a new starter at LT but I'd rather have two new guards, as its the middle of our OL that is absolutley horrid.

Gandy's not the worst LT in history.. Villarrial and Anderson are by far to me the weakest links.

I say leave villarial in there for one more year. Address LT and LG this year along with DT. Next year take a RG and we are set.

patmoran2006
04-06-2006, 11:07 PM
Villarrial will be here one more year because he's a Jauron guy.. I think he absolutely sucks..

I hope we draft Boothe and he starts and Preston beats out Villarrial or at least starts some games once V gets hurt.. He's useless to Buffalo long-term anyway so can his ass.

Devin
04-06-2006, 11:11 PM
Taking Davis? If thats who, what off the field issues? If its Justice then, I agree 100%.

Claude Wrotten has the famed "Character Issues". Considered to "take plays off"....questionable work ethic and I believe had some off the field issues.

patmoran2006
04-06-2006, 11:14 PM
Claude Wrotten has the famed "Character Issues". Considered to "take plays off"....questionable work ethic and I believe had some off the field issues.

Claude Wroten's character has ruined his draft stock more than any player in this draft except for maybe LenDale White..

Wroten is a top ten talent, but he'll be lucky to go early in round two.

patmoran2006
04-06-2006, 11:15 PM

Then we all get to watch the fat, lazy bastard run for like 1600 yards, face it Tatum Bell is too fragile to carry the workload as an every down back. And he runs away with NFL ROY honors. Gotta love being rewarded for not caring on pro day.

I dont think dever takes another RB on day one after the Clarett fiasco from last year. Or if theydo, not a ? mark like White.

Devin
04-06-2006, 11:23 PM
Claude Wroten's character has ruined his draft stock more than any player in this draft except for maybe LenDale White..

Wroten is a top ten talent, but he'll be lucky to go early in round two.

Yup. shame really cause hes a beast when hes on.

Bmax
04-07-2006, 03:18 AM
Wroten has dropped to 2nd day satus on some teams boards....Gabe watson is not a one gap DT.. Think McCargo or Maleona of Tenn in rd's 2 or 3 for the bills...I still say Davis goes to the Niners or Raiders in rd 1...Unless the Broncos trade up to get him..

Bmax

Jan Reimers
04-07-2006, 04:13 AM
We would have the deepest TE corps in the league with Davis, Everett, Royal and Euhus, not to mention Neufeld and Cieslak.

But it's a well known axiom in professional football: You can never have too many tight ends.