PDA

View Full Version : If the Bills make you miserable.....

mayotm
04-07-2006, 08:21 AM
As everybody knows, the 2006 schedule was released yesterday. This has given many posters more reasons to *****, whine and complain. I read posts yesterday stating that the NFL hates the Bills because they are opening with two road division games. The NFL hates the Bills because they play the Pats after their bye again. I also read the less than optimistic predictions about the Bills 2006 record. Add that to the *****ing that has taken place this entire offseason, including but not limited to:

• Wrong GM selection
• Wrong head coach selection
• Shouldn’t have franchised Clements
• Losman sucks
• All three QB’s suck
• All free agent signings suck
• Owner sucks
• Moulds sucks
• Moulds shouldn’t be traded
• Didn’t get enough for Moulds
• No chance of Bills surviving in Buffalo
• This poster sucks, that poster sucks

You get the idea. The intent of this post is not to argue the points (personally, I agree with some of them) listed above. It’s to question why some of you choose to get absolutely no joy from being Bills fans? Most people who choose to post on this site are obviously passionate Bills fans. Or at least passionate football fans. However, for some of you, it seems that the Bills flat out make you miserable. If they make you so miserable, why do you continue to punish yourselves? Admittedly, they make me pretty miserable during a poor season. It’s definitely been tough for about the past decade. But each offseason, I choose to be optimistic. It’s the one time of year that fans of every team can be optimistic. Every year some team comes out of nowhere to be very good. Why not the Bills this year? Is it likely, probably not, but it is possible. The Bills are holding their first mini-camp this weekend. Free agency isn’t over yet. The draft is still weeks away. Yet a lot of you have given up on the 2006 season already. I just don’t get it. Now, I will step off my soap box and sit back and enjoy all the negative responses that this post will generate.

hydro
04-07-2006, 08:29 AM
amen to that brotha.... i am exactly the same way!!!

BillsFever21
04-07-2006, 08:30 AM
I knew the schedule *****ing was gonna be here when I checked this morning. Every year it's the same old thing.

They think the NFL made it a point to screw us on the schedule. There gonna be any schedule that would make some people happy. They would always find something wrong with the schedule to think there's a conspiracy against us by the NFL.

OpIv37
04-07-2006, 08:39 AM
The Bills didn't always make me miserable. I've been following this team for 15 years (give or take) and there have been some good times in that span. I know a lot of people here are older than I am and have been following the team longer than that. I can't speak for everyone, but I know I'm not capable of just giving up on something that I'm so passionate about because the Bills suck now.

As far as being positive- well FA is technically not over but who's left that could help this team, and if there is someone left why isn't the front office trying to do something about it? We have the cap space. And the draft is always a crap shoot- you never know if you're gonna get the guy you want, and even if you do get him there's always a chance that he's either a bust or he takes a couple years to develop.

It would be nice to go into 06 with a positive attitude, but when I look at what went wrong last year- the OL, the DL, QB, and the fact that the new coach has a losing record and the new DC has never been DC before, I just don't know where to find hope.

TedMock
04-07-2006, 09:20 AM
The truth is that the free agent crop just wasn't that stellar this year. Edge, and a couple of QB's were the big names. Nothing that we need. It was downright impossible for us to get Hutchinson and/or Bentley, so there's no good reason to even bring their names up. Huthchinson's contract was absurd, and would've taken up all of our cap space which would be a stupid move. Guys like Bentley and Jurevicious took less money to go to Cleveland, so those are moot points. The guys we brought in certainly aren't studs, but in the available pool, they're pretty much in line with most. Unfortunately there just wasn't a ton of class-A talent for us to go shopping with. Pickett would have been nice, but in most FA years, is he really the top DT out there? No.

Pride
04-07-2006, 09:26 AM
This is just a taste of what Cinci went through for a decade! Get used to it!

mayotm
04-07-2006, 09:26 AM
The Bills didn't always make me miserable. I've been following this team for 15 years (give or take) and there have been some good times in that span. I know a lot of people here are older than I am and have been following the team longer than that. I can't speak for everyone, but I know I'm not capable of just giving up on something that I'm so passionate about because the Bills suck now.

As far as being positive- well FA is technically not over but who's left that could help this team, and if there is someone left why isn't the front office trying to do something about it? We have the cap space. And the draft is always a crap shoot- you never know if you're gonna get the guy you want, and even if you do get him there's always a chance that he's either a bust or he takes a couple years to develop.

It would be nice to go into 06 with a positive attitude, but when I look at what went wrong last year- the OL, the DL, QB, and the fact that the new coach has a losing record and the new DC has never been DC before, I just don't know where to find hope.I guess my optimism or hope stems from the unknown. There have been countless teams over the past 5 - 6 years that have come out of nowhere. Teams coming off terrible records that were picked to finish last in their division. Again, is it likely the Bills will have a good season, probably not. But there is always hope. Especially at this time of year.

OpIv37
04-07-2006, 09:29 AM
The truth is that the free agent crop just wasn't that stellar this year. Edge, and a couple of QB's were the big names. Nothing that we need. It was downright impossible for us to get Hutchinson and/or Bentley, so there's no good reason to even bring their names up. Huthchinson's contract was absurd, and would've taken up all of our cap space which would be a stupid move. Guys like Bentley and Jurevicious took less money to go to Cleveland, so those are moot points. The guys we brought in certainly aren't studs, but in the available pool, they're pretty much in line with most. Unfortunately there just wasn't a ton of class-A talent for us to go shopping with. Pickett would have been nice, but in most FA years, is he really the top DT out there? No.

Excuses that don't result in the OL or DL getting better. It's Marv's job to find a way to make it happen, and so far it hasn't happened. The end result will be more losses.

OpIv37
04-07-2006, 09:31 AM
I guess my optimism or hope stems from the unknown. There have been countless teams over the past 5 - 6 years that have come out of nowhere. Teams coming off terrible records that were picked to finish last in their division. Again, is it likely the Bills will have a good season, probably not. But there is always hope. Especially at this time of year.

and this is where the schedule gets me- if this team doesn't come out of the blocks ready to play, we could have 2 division losses before we even get a home game. At that point we're pretty much hosed, even if the team ends up being better than expected from that point on.

justasportsfan
04-07-2006, 09:36 AM
Excuses that don't result in the OL or DL getting better. It's Marv's job to find a way to make it happen, and so far it hasn't happened. The end result will be more losses.
Excuses? I don't think Marv made excuses. They are overpaid, period. You kept complaining about the past regime and if we don't overpay like TD they are excuses? You'll never be happy no matter what. Marv is building the team opposite of the way that TD did things and yet you'll complain.

Maytom, The bills don't make people miserable. People make themselves miserable.

justasportsfan
04-07-2006, 09:38 AM
and this is where the schedule gets me- if this team doesn't come out of the blocks ready to play, we could have 2 division losses before we even get a home game. At that point we're pretty much hosed, even if the team ends up being better than expected from that point on.screw the schedule. It's never an excuse to me. I don't care where and when we play division rivals. If we lose, we lose. Period.

mayotm
04-07-2006, 09:39 AM
and this is where the schedule gets me- if this team doesn't come out of the blocks ready to play, we could have 2 division losses before we even get a home game. At that point we're pretty much hosed, even if the team ends up being better than expected from that point on.I don't understand that logic. Let's assume that the Bills are going to lose both those games. What's the difference if they lose them in weeks 1 and 2 versus weeks 6 and 12? Personally, I think that they caught a break. It will probably take several weeks for this team to start getting better. May as well lose two difficult games versus losing an easy one.

OpIv37
04-07-2006, 09:45 AM
Excuses? I don't think Marv made excuses. They are overpaid, period. You kept complaining about the past regime and if we don't overpay like TD they are excuses? You'll never be happy no matter what. Marv is building the team opposite of the way that TD did things and yet you'll complain.

Maytom, The bills don't make people miserable. People make themselves miserable.

Marv may not have but the poster did. I'll be happy when the lines are better than last year. As of right now- 3 months into FA- they're not any better. You can say what you want about overpriced players and TD's model- our lines are still the same garbage they were last year, and no team can win with bad lines on both sides of the ball.

OpIv37
04-07-2006, 09:49 AM
I don't understand that logic. Let's assume that the Bills are going to lose both those games. What's the difference if they lose them in weeks 1 and 2 versus weeks 6 and 12? Personally, I think that they caught a break. It will probably take several weeks for this team to start getting better. May as well lose two difficult games versus losing an easy one.

it's the mathematics of it- you dig yourself in a hole, it puts more pressure on you to win the later games. Being down two division games puts you behind both for the division title and the wild card, so it's going to take one hell of a winning streak to be in the playoff hunt.

justasportsfan
04-07-2006, 09:51 AM
Marv may not have but the poster did. I'll be happy when the lines are better than last year. As of right now- 3 months into FA- they're not any better. You can say what you want about overpriced players and TD's model- our lines are still the same garbage they were last year, and no team can win with bad lines on both sides of the ball.
You are right. There aren't any major changes w/ our lines. I would like to give our new staff a chance however since we all agree that our coaches last year were horrendous. Maybe our players are better than what we think they are who were put in a postion to fail. I'm not gonna hold my breath though , but I will give them the benefit of a doubt. I don't think what we have right now is the final starting line-up. Things will change.

Don't forget, we got screwed by the new CBA as well. While we were one of the few who had cap, the new CBA gave teams who have spent lavishly in the past players all of a sudden in the FA.

mayotm
04-07-2006, 09:51 AM
it's the mathematics of it- you dig yourself in a hole, it puts more pressure on you to win the later games. Being down two division games puts you behind both for the division title and the wild card, so it's going to take one hell of a winning streak to be in the playoff hunt.I guess we will have to disagree.

Bill Brasky
04-07-2006, 09:55 AM
It’s to question why some of you choose to get absolutely no joy from being Bills fans?

For a good comparision/explanation... you need to look no further than the current state of our Country and our our Government.

Most everybody is pround to be an American... but not everybody is exactly happy with the current status of the nation.

mayotm
04-07-2006, 09:59 AM
For a good comparision/explanation... you need to look no further than the current state of our Country and our our Government.

Most everybody is pround to be an American... but not everybody is exactly happy with the current status of the nation.I think there is a difference between not being happy with ALL the decisions the Bills front office makes versus not being happy with ANY.

Bill Brasky
04-07-2006, 10:07 AM
I think there is a difference between not being happy with ALL the decisions the Bills front office makes versus not being happy with ANY.
Ok, well to be fair... go back and look at the moves they made compared with what they COULD have done.

I am usually one of the most optimistic fans on this board, but as anybody will tell you, I have been none too happy with this offseason and the bad move after bad move.

If all of the moves pan out and the Bills are successful this year or next, I will be the first to admit it.

But as it stands, this team was 2-3 from being a playoff team. The decisions made so far easily put this team back 4-5, and I'm personally sick and tired of being the laughing stock of the NFL and watching other teams play in January, esp when I cart my ass 800 miles in a weekend to watch this team not even put forth an effort.

2 or 3 years of bad play is understandable, but going into 6 years now is reason enough for people to be pissed... tack on at least another 3-4 before we can dream of making the playoffs... that's almost an entire decade worth of being out of the playoffs... in an era in which there is an equal playing field in the NFL - that speaks volumes of how your organization is run.

Esp after they cut key vets to save cap room (which was justified), but then they didn't use the cap space to target at least 1 big name... instead brought in career backups for depth. That would be good, but there's no depth to backup because the team doesn't even have legit starters at half the key positions.

TedMock
04-07-2006, 10:08 AM

They're not excuses. They're the facts. It is what it is. There was no way of these things happening. Neither Marv, nor anybody else could have made these things happen. I wish I could walk on water too, but it ain't happening.

justasportsfan
04-07-2006, 10:16 AM
Ok, well to be fair... go back and look at the moves they made compared with what they COULD have done.

.There isn't much we could do with this year FA'cy. Other teams were overpaying the players we needed. When we made offers to guys like Wells, we were making offers based on what they were worth.

They major problem I have about what we've done so far is letting Moulds go for a 5th. Then again the guy didn't want to be here no matter what which made it harder for us to get anything because Moulds screwed us up by making other ball clubs know that. Unlike the Henry situation, we didn't have to get rid of Henry. Teams knew that with Moulds cap nos. we had to.

Since teams were throwing major contracts around in FA , this years offseason is dependent on the draft and maybe June 1 cuts.

mayotm
04-07-2006, 10:17 AM

I am usually one of the most optimistic fans on this board, but as anybody will tell you, I have been none too happy with this offseason and the bad move after bad move.

If all of the moves pan out and the Bills are successful this year or next, I will be the first to admit it.

But as it stands, this team was 2-3 from being a playoff team. The decisions made so far easily put this team back 4-5, and I'm personally sick and tired of being the laughing stock of the NFL and watching other teams play in January, esp when I cart my ass 800 miles in a weekend to watch this team not even put forth an effort.

2 or 3 years of bad play is understandable, but going into 6 years now is reason enough for people to be pissed... tack on at least another 3-4 before we can dream of making the playoffs... that's almost an entire decade worth of being out of the playoffs... in an era in which there is an equal playing field in the NFL - that speaks volumes of how your organization is run.

Esp after they cut key vets to save cap room (which was justified), but then they didn't use the cap space to target at least 1 big name... instead brought in career backups for depth. That would be good, but there's no depth to backup because the team doesn't even have legit starters at half the key positions.Look, I too have been very frustrated over the past several years. I spend most of the football season in a bad mood. I guess that is why I try not to get terribly worked up about the offseason. That is why I choose to be optimistic and hopeful now. I don't have unrealistic expectations for the upcoming season. But I also refuse to have the doom and gloom attitude of many people. In general, I try to look at the positive in all life situations, including the Bills. I suppose I'm more of a "glass full" kind of a guy. I enjoy reading people's opininons. I've been a member for years, but only post occasionally. It just seems that the negativity is at an all time high which takes some of the enjoyment out of visiting the site.

Bill Brasky
04-07-2006, 10:19 AM
There isn't much we could do with this year FA'cy. Other teams were overpaying the players we needed. When we made offers to guys like Wells, we were making offers based on what they were worth.

They major problem I have about what we've done so far is letting Moulds go for a 5th. Then again the guy didn't want to be here no matter what which made it harder for us to get anything because Moulds screwed us up by making other ball clubs know that. Unlike the Henry situation, we didn't have to get rid of Henry. Teams knew that with Moulds cap nos. we had to.

Since teams were throwing major contracts around in FA , this years offseason is dependent on the draft and maybe June 1 cuts.
Some teams overpaid, but others didn't. If the Bills didn't make bottom barrel offers, none of them would have been matched.

In order to get top talent, sometimes you have to bite the bullet. I'm not saying break the bank and throw money around like Steinbrenner, but they could have at least paid 1 impact guy, I don't think that was asking much.

I would have rather overpaid for a big name guy instead of overpaying Josh Reed, Robert Royal, and Bowen. Money down the sink on 1 good player is well spent as oppossed to money down the sink on 3 guys that won't produce.

Look, I too have been very frustrated over the past several years. I spend most of the football season in a bad mood. I guess that is why I try not to get terribly worked up about the offseason. That is why I choose to be optimistic and hopeful now. I don't have unrealistic expectations for the upcoming season. But I also refuse to have the doom and gloom attitude of many people. In general, I try to look at the positive in all life situations, including the Bills. I suppose I'm more of a "glass full" kind of a guy. I enjoy reading people's opininons. I've been a member for years, but only post occasionally. It just seems that the negativity is at an all time high which takes some of the enjoyment out of visiting the site.

I am not going to disagree with you here, some people have gone overboard this offseason, both with their optimism and pessimism

OpIv37
04-07-2006, 10:22 AM
They're not excuses. They're the facts. It is what it is. There was no way of these things happening. Neither Marv, nor anybody else could have made these things happen. I wish I could walk on water too, but it ain't happening.

Other teams got players in FA. Other teams have OL's that are better than ours. Marv could have traded Moulds, Draft picks, Clements....

It's Marv's job to make the lines better. The lines are not better. If p then q... Marv didn't do his job.

patmoran2006
04-07-2006, 10:23 AM
There isn't much we could do with this year FA'cy. Other teams were overpaying the players we needed. When we made offers to guys like Wells, we were making offers based on what they were worth.

Your first sentence is totally wrong.... They COULD have done plenty with FA as they hit FA some $14 million under the cap. A team that COULDNT do anything big in FA would be a team like Oakland that's barely been under the cap.

They could have done whatever they wanted, they CHOSE not to. Other teams 'overpaid' for players that we needed, we could have done the same... They could have thrown more money at Pickett and Wells, if they wanted to.. They didnt.

I'm not here to say whether they were right or wrong (sometimes you have to overpay for a player here and there).. But they were in a position to do pretty much what we wanted, Marv's strategy was not to, but not becuase he couldn't.

Same with the last sentence, this team's off-season is dependant on the draft and maybe June 1st cuts because that is the route the front office choose to go. They could have easily inked a tackle and guard to a contract and been less dependant there.

Whether it works out or not remains to be seen, but its certainly not because they didnt have a choice.

OpIv37
04-07-2006, 10:24 AM
Look, I too have been very frustrated over the past several years. I spend most of the football season in a bad mood. I guess that is why I try not to get terribly worked up about the offseason. That is why I choose to be optimistic and hopeful now. I don't have unrealistic expectations for the upcoming season. But I also refuse to have the doom and gloom attitude of many people. In general, I try to look at the positive in all life situations, including the Bills. I suppose I'm more of a "glass full" kind of a guy. I enjoy reading people's opininons. I've been a member for years, but only post occasionally. It just seems that the negativity is at an all time high which takes some of the enjoyment out of visiting the site.

some of us are just sick of being let down time and time again- optimists can never be pleasantly surprised.

I'd rather be pessimistic- meaning I'm prepared for them to do poorly and I'll be happy if they do well- than be optimistic and be let down by this team yet again.

mayotm
04-07-2006, 10:29 AM
some of us are just sick of being let down time and time again- optimists can never be pleasantly surprised.

I'd rather be pessimistic- meaning I'm prepared for them to do poorly and I'll be happy if they do well- than be optimistic and be let down by this team yet again.Here's to you being pleasantly surprised this year!

OpIv37
04-07-2006, 10:31 AM
Here's to you being pleasantly surprised this year!

well we can definitely agree on that

justasportsfan
04-07-2006, 10:33 AM
Some teams overpaid, but others didn't. If the Bills didn't make bottom barrel offers, none of them would have been matched.

Tell us which players where overpaid and which ones weren't. I'm almost sure that the ones overpaid happen to be guys we needed. Bentley, Archulleta, etc. No thanks, while teams like the redskins overpaid players over the years, they went no where.

Teams like the Pats haven't overpaid players over the years and they got it done via coaching. I know we don't have BB but let's see first what our coaching staff can do.

So far, Marv is using the same formula that teams like Pitts , Colts and Pats have done. Go young and via the draft.

justasportsfan
04-07-2006, 10:35 AM
Your first sentence is totally wrong.... They COULD have done plenty with FA as they hit FA some $14 million under the cap. A team that COULDNT do anything big in FA would be a team like Oakland that's barely been under the cap.

They could have done whatever they wanted, they CHOSE not to. Other teams 'overpaid' for players that we needed, we could have done the same... They could have thrown more money at Pickett and Wells, if they wanted to.. They didnt.

I'm not here to say whether they were right or wrong (sometimes you have to overpay for a player here and there).. But they were in a position to do pretty much what we wanted, Marv's strategy was not to, but not becuase he couldn't.

Same with the last sentence, this team's off-season is dependant on the draft and maybe June 1st cuts because that is the route the front office choose to go. They could have easily inked a tackle and guard to a contract and been less dependant there.

Whether it works out or not remains to be seen, but its certainly not because they didnt have a choice.tha'ts why you should point out what players we could've had. Don't forget that we have to factor in players like Clements and Peters who we are trying to sign to long term contracts.

Cmon, poin them out Pat.

Bill Brasky
04-07-2006, 10:40 AM
Tell us which players where overpaid and which ones weren't. I'm almost sure that the ones overpaid happen to be guys we needed. Bentley, Archulleta, etc. No thanks, while teams like the redskins overpaid players over the years, they went no where.

Teams like the Pats haven't overpaid players over the years and they got it done via coaching. I know we don't have BB but let's see first what our coaching staff can do.

So far, Marv is using the same formula that teams like Pitts , Colts and Pats have done. Go young and via the draft.
Bentley was not overpaid. Hutchinson was!

Stephen Neal? Fabini? Runyan? Wells "offer sheet" was a joke... any team could have matched it.

Archuletta was, but Chris Hope wasn't. Christ I would have taken Tebuckey Jones over Bowen, even New England saw through that!

I don't need to see what we have in our coach because Jauron sucks and that is my opinion until he proves me wrong. He sucked in Chicago, he sucked in Detroit, and he sucked every where else as a coordniator. None of his teams outside the 13-3 fluke Bears ever amounted to anything... and he will probably take our decent coordinators and make them suck too. I have faith in the coordinators, some of them have promise, but not with this guy manning the ship.

patmoran2006
04-07-2006, 10:41 AM

That my friend is ENTIRELY untrue.. yes, New England has built their team primarily through the draft, but they HAVE paid and paid well for certain peices.

NE paid a big price to land FA LB Roosevelt Colvin.. They also doled out bucks along the way to guys like Ted Washington and Rodney Harrison during their Super Bowl runs.. NOt a lot of players to pay big money too, but they have mixed in some big FA signings along with great drafting.

The Colts more than any other team currently has built their team through the draft.. They also have one of the best and most proven GM's in history with Bill Polian. If Polian was GM I wouldnt be worried if we didnt sign a SINGLE FA this entire off-season.. He's EARNED my trust as a draft mastermind.. They also have a franchise QB in Peyton Manning that the team was built around.

patmoran2006
04-07-2006, 10:44 AM
I think the Bills went this route in FA because its what Marv Levy wanted to do. I dont like it, but Its the way it is.. Maybe he has a plan that will work. Marv's never giving us a reason to doubt him yet..

BUT.

I do NOT like Jauron and I think the ONLY reason he's Bills coach is because Ralph Wilson was NOT going to pay top dollar to Mike Sherman or a few other hot shot college coaching prospects, or a first-time coach like Mangini or Bates.

justasportsfan
04-07-2006, 10:48 AM
Bentley was not overpaid. Hutchinson was!

Stephen Neal? Fabini? Runyan? Wells "offer sheet" was a joke... any team could have matched it.

Archuletta was, but Chris Hope wasn't. Christ I would have taken Tebuckey Jones over Bowen, even New England saw through that!

I don't need to see what we have in our coach because Jauron sucks and that is my opinion until he proves me wrong. He sucked in Chicago, he sucked in Detroit, and he sucked every where else as a coordniator. None of his teams outside the 13-3 fluke Bears ever amounted to anything... and he will probably take our decent coordinators and make them suck too. I have faith in the coordinators, some of them have promise, but not with this guy manning the ship.Runyan and Fabini aren't players who would've been here in a few years. We got rid of Adams and Milloy and then we'll bring in Fabini? No thanks.

Tbuck? are you nuts? Bowens has more upside and TBuck is too slow to play cover 2. We already have Vincent, why bother w/ Tbuck.

Neal, no one wanted him when he hit the market.

No thanks, you're going the Tom Donahoe way plugging in has beens. I'd rather get players with upsides and hope that they build chemistry and play here as a unit for years to comes.

I'd rather build the team via the draft and have them play with us for years to come.

Bill Brasky
04-07-2006, 10:51 AM
What is the upside of Bowen and Royal?

Please, I'm dying to hear what Dick Jauron sees in these guys that Joe Gibbs didn't.

You are right, Fabini and Runyan are not long-term solutions... but for the time being, they would have been good stop gaps which would have allowed the Bills to have a more structured draft by taking guys they can develop over the course of a few seasons... instead of going the Mike Williams route and expecting him to be Jesus Christ on day 1.

They also have veteran leadership, something this entire team and the younger guys could use at this point because they are obviously lacking bigtime.

justasportsfan
04-07-2006, 10:52 AM
That my friend is ENTIRELY untrue.. yes, New England has built their team primarily through the draft, but they HAVE paid and paid well for certain peices.

NE paid a big price to land FA LB Roosevelt Colvin.. They also doled out bucks along the way to guys like Ted Washington and Rodney Harrison during their Super Bowl runs.. NOt a lot of players to pay big money too, but they have mixed in some big FA signings along with great drafting.

The Colts more than any other team currently has built their team through the draft.. They also have one of the best and most proven GM's in history with Bill Polian. If Polian was GM I wouldnt be worried if we didnt sign a SINGLE FA this entire off-season.. He's EARNED my trust as a draft mastermind.. They also have a franchise QB in Peyton Manning that the team was built around.
they dished out big bucks but didn't overpay. They didn't give Brady a contract that takes up the cap like Manning does for the colts.

Marv isn't doin what TD did and I don't have a problem with that. TD grabbed Drew and Milloy and they didn't live up to their expectation. Marv will eventually bring in a Spikes kind of player but I'm not surprised he jumped right away. I'm glad he's thinking this through.

This is his first year and I'm glad he isn't panic buying which would eventually come back and bite him it the ass.

HAMMER
04-07-2006, 11:19 AM
As everybody knows, the 2006 schedule was released yesterday. This has given many posters more reasons to *****, whine and complain. I read posts yesterday stating that the NFL hates the Bills because they are opening with two road division games. The NFL hates the Bills because they play the Pats after their bye again. I also read the less than optimistic predictions about the Bills 2006 record. Add that to the *****ing that has taken place this entire offseason, including but not limited to:

• Wrong GM selection
• Wrong head coach selection
• Shouldn’t have franchised Clements
• Losman sucks
• All three QB’s suck
• All free agent signings suck
• Owner sucks
• Moulds sucks
• Moulds shouldn’t be traded
• Didn’t get enough for Moulds
• No chance of Bills surviving in Buffalo
• This poster sucks, that poster sucks

You get the idea. The intent of this post is not to argue the points (personally, I agree with some of them) listed above. It’s to question why some of you choose to get absolutely no joy from being Bills fans? Most people who choose to post on this site are obviously passionate Bills fans. Or at least passionate football fans. However, for some of you, it seems that the Bills flat out make you miserable. If they make you so miserable, why do you continue to punish yourselves? Admittedly, they make me pretty miserable during a poor season. It’s definitely been tough for about the past decade. But each offseason, I choose to be optimistic. It’s the one time of year that fans of every team can be optimistic. Every year some team comes out of nowhere to be very good. Why not the Bills this year? Is it likely, probably not, but it is possible. The Bills are holding their first mini-camp this weekend. Free agency isn’t over yet. The draft is still weeks away. Yet a lot of you have given up on the 2006 season already. I just don’t get it. Now, I will step off my soap box and sit back and enjoy all the negative responses that this post will generate.

Amen! There are more miserable people here than anyplace I have ever been/seen. Misery loves company. It is so ****in miserable that it is starting to make me miserable, oh ****!

Statman
04-07-2006, 11:22 AM
It’s to question why some of you choose to get absolutely no joy from being Bills fans?

Kind of like why people sitting around in the mid-continent of Africa starving to death can't seem to find any joy in life. Not trying to equate the two in the least, but the reasons are analogical.

However, for some of you, it seems that the Bills flat out make you miserable. If they make you so miserable, why do you continue to punish yourselves?

We don't. The Bills ownership, management, and coaching takes perfect care of all that. Those fans "whining" the loudest could run this team better via simple democracy or consensus.

Admittedly, they make me pretty miserable during a poor season.

Isn't this a wee bit hypocritical given your statements? So you choose to stick your head in the sand and ignore reality before you are miserable while we see it coming and somehow think that perhaps, even if for reasons unfounded, there may be some hope right around the corner.

Every year some team comes out of nowhere to be very good. Why not the Bills this year?

Teams that do that have either an easy schedule, which we don't have, or some talent, which we also don't have, or excellent coaching and managment, which we also don't have.

Statman
04-07-2006, 11:24 AM

We certainly overpaid for players that we really didn't need and which are pretty much all backup caliber. Why not overpay for just one solid player?

justasportsfan
04-07-2006, 11:38 AM
What is the upside of Bowen and Royal?

Please, I'm dying to hear what Dick Jauron sees in these guys that Joe Gibbs didn't. they are both Young and have room to grow and learn under a new system. Although I'm not annointing Bowens as our starter, he's a ST beast. Gibbs wanted to keep Royal but Royal wanted more oppurtunities other than just blocking. He's Younger and better than Campbell when it comes to blocking.

You are right, Fabini and Runyan are not long-term solutions... but for the time being, they would have been good stop gaps which would have allowed the Bills to have a more structured draft by taking guys they can develop over the course of a few seasons... instead of going the Mike Williams route and expecting him to be Jesus Christ on day 1.

They also have veteran leadership, something this entire team and the younger guys could use at this point because they are obviously lacking bigtime. For the time being? What happens when they are gone in a couple of years? Are we gonna start all over again and wait for the new guy to get some chemistry?

Haven't we learned that under Drew? He set us back a few years.

The Bengals are where they are at right now because they went young as well. It's taken Marvin Lewis a few years but I doubt anyone can say they are headed the wrong direction.

The leadership has to come from within, not a player who will be here for only 2 years. What did Milloys and Moulds leadership do the last couple of years. Nothing. We eneded up the bickering bills.

madness
04-07-2006, 12:02 PM

:bf1:

So what does our record have to be for people to eat crow for doubting Marv? I want to start a tracker in my sig.

Luisito23
04-07-2006, 12:33 PM
If we lose, we lose. Period.

Exactly my thought.

GO BILLS!!!!