• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Gandy is Underated

I think a lot of people are underestimaing Mike Gandy. I think he was FAR away from being the weakest link on this offensive line last year. He is FAR from a superstar or a Franchise tackle, but maybe I was watching the wrong games because I didnt think he played that bad. IN fact, for the most part I think he held his own.. He'll never be Orlando Pace, but I"ve seen far worse.

The BIG weakness in the Bills offensive line for the past few years, and especially 2005 was the MIDDLE of the offensive line. Trey Teague wasn't strong enough to play center, Bennie Anderson was far too slow and Chris Villarrial has more mental lapses than Eminen's wife. PLus he gets hurt a lot.

Teams DESTROYED us up the middle last year... Defensive tackles owned the interior of our line and teams blitzed up the middle with ease. Those are the three OL slots more in need of improvement. Fowler was a start at center and I'm sure we'll get at least one first-day draft pick at guard. I'd have Preston compete with Villarrial for the other spot.

I'd prefer Gandy to play left tackle in 2006 over ANY rookie that we drafted, except MAYBE Brick (he does have franchise LT written all over him)..

Whether it's JP, Nall or a rookie.. WHOEVER is QB, they have no chance with a raw young rookie playing LEFT TACKLE.. If that's going to be the case, you may as wel run JP outta town now... WE're OBVIOUSLY going to have a rookie LG in place of Anderson this year.. You want a young, unproven QB playing with an entire ROOKIE LEFT side of the line? I sure as hell dont.

Gandy isn't old, I believe he's a five-year vet. I think long-term his future is as depth (Like Marcus Price was valuable to us as a backup at one time) but for the time being I have no problem with him starting, especially since a young raw guy will be starting at LG via draft or Preston.

With the 8th pick, I'd MUCH rather give my young QB a weapon to have besides Lee Evans. Dont fool yourself with Reed, he's had four years to prove his worth here and failed (miserably).. He could be a good #3 WR at times, but he's taking NO pressure and double teams away from Evans.

I'd love to have Vernon DAvis, or I'd even consider trading down and taking Chad Jackson.. Losman needs more than Evans.

DT, G need to addressed in the second/third rounds and then I'd take a tackle for the FUTURE with my second third rounder.. The DT and G are going to have to start (The Andersons-Tim and Bennie totally SUCK) from day one.. I dont want a rookie protecting my QB's blindside if his name aint Brick..

Davis at 8 is a great pick.. Chad Jackson at say 13-15 is a great pick.

WRoten, Watson, McCargo are all good DT's who could start right away in the second.

Boothe, Spencer, Latui.. One of them will make round three.. all are better than Anderson..

Whitworth, Callagahan or Derek Morris are great value tackles in the third who could be future starters.

Gandy isn't as bad as you think.. And regardless of who your QB of choice is, if you want him to have a real chance to be successful: you better get him another weapon besides Evans.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • Gunzlingr
    • Jul 2002

Re: Gandy is Underated

I think Gandy is serviceable.
    You think you're hot **** in a champagne glass, but you're really cold diarrhea in a Dixie cup!

Comment

• Meathead
      Insufferable ***** and perpetual crybaby
      • Jul 2002

yes and you forgot an r
      One set of rules for all in the beloved community

Comment

• ICE74129
        Legendary Zoner
        • Feb 2005

Gandy is serviceable at best. He was also out of football for nearly a year. When you can get a Good to great LT that will anchor your line for years, you take him.

This is a known fact that has been preached for decades in football.

No matter how many posts, No matter how much *****ing and complaining, I am not going to budge off of this stance. Post articles, whatever. I coach so I know this fundamental truth. I have talked with one of the best GM's in the game as well so I am set in my foundation. LINES!

Address the lines in this draft and get it over with. Take the best possible talent on the lines and quit looking to add flash to the team. Good football teams have good lines, and we dont' have a good offensive line. LT IS a need for this team. Gandy is a serviceable backup.

Comment

• ICE74129
          Legendary Zoner
          • Feb 2005

and PS we are NOT going to draft a QB in the first round. Its not going to happen. Read what marv has said about the team from day 1, he won't be putting that much focus on one guy.

PSS THIS IS THE YEAR to let a Rookie LT come in and develop. If ever there was a time, it is now.

Comment

• patmoran2006
            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
            • Dec 2005

you give me my choice between Nick Mangold, Davin Joseph or Winston Justice and Im takin them in that EXACT order given the needs of this team.

Comment

• patmoran2006
              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
              • Dec 2005

Ice..
              Let me ask you this.. Lets say you are right and we take Winston Justice with the 8th pick and he STARTS at left tackle as a rookie..

Are you going to start a rookie at LG as well?? SURELY you're not suggesting that Bennie ANderson returns at LG?

You start TWO rookies on the LEFT SIDE of the line we better have SEVEN QB's because everyone of them will get KILLED!

Comment

• ICE74129
                Legendary Zoner
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                you give me my choice between Nick Mangold, Davin Joseph or Winston Justice and Im takin them in that EXACT order given the needs of this team.
                Fowler is our center. I watched several of his games last year. He was a major reason for the 9-2 run. He is a young guy on the rise, he just needed his chance. Fowler will start at center.

Comment

• ICE74129
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Feb 2005

Ice..
                  Let me ask you this.. Lets say you are right and we take Winston Justice with the 8th pick and he STARTS at left tackle as a rookie..

Are you going to start a rookie at LG as well?? SURELY you're not suggesting that Bennie ANderson returns at LG?

You start TWO rookies on the LEFT SIDE of the line we better have SEVEN QB's because everyone of them will get KILLED!
                  No. You move Villarial to LG if need be and the rookie starts at RG until he gets the feel for the game. Look Guard play is in space. Left, right, it doesn't matter. But even if we went LT and LG as rookies (and we won't) We should still do it. NOW is that time.

Look its like a shot....get it over with. Resist the urge to take flash. Upgrade the lines in this draft and we are done with it. Let them develop together and we are set for years.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                    • Dec 2005

He could also play guard if we had Mangold at center and be a much better guard than Bennie Anderson..

I have nothing bad to saw about Fowler other than he's unproven as a starter.. I like Fowler. but we're not getting Mangold, I was making a statement of preference.

But it doesnt solve my dilemna.. No coach in their right frame of mind will start Two RAW guys on the left side of the line with a QB who hasnt proven nothing in the NFL.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                      • Jul 2002

Gandy wasn't bad for someone who was out of football and who was new to the team. Who knows if he's getting better.
                      sacrifice1
                      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• patmoran2006
                        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by ICE74129
                        No. You move Villarial to LG if need be and the rookie starts at RG until he gets the feel for the game. Look Guard play is in space. Left, right, it doesn't matter. But even if we went LT and LG as rookies (and we won't) We should still do it. NOW is that time.

Look its like a shot....get it over with. Resist the urge to take flash. Upgrade the lines in this draft and we are done with it. Let them develop together and we are set for years.
                        Chris Villarrial is a 11-year BANGED up to death vet, to my knowledge he's never been a LG and after 11 years in the NFL its a tad late to start developing him as one. He's barely any good as a RG, in fact he's one of the biggest weaknesses on the team.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                          Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by justasportsfan
                          Gandy wasn't bad for someone who was out of football and who was new to the team. Who knows if he's getting better.
                          I dont thinks he's a future Pro Bowler or a long-term (3-4 year) starter.. but given how deplorable our DT and Guards spots are, OT is not even CLOSE to being the priority given the state of those other positions and who currently mans them.

I got no problem taking a good prospect at tackle at round three who develops over a couple of years while a vet who's played the position like Gandy before starts there while he learns in the NFL.

Comment

• Kerr
                            Hall of Fame Zoner
                            • Feb 2005

Agreed with Pat on Gandy. Gandy did a decent job last year. Didn't he shutout jason taylor in both games last season? That's not easy to do for any tackle. At best you can compare gandy to jonas jennings, not a great tackle, but a decent tackle, except he's not getting overpaid like jennings did. If the Bills draft a LT in the 1st round, they shouldn't put all their eggs in one basket and expect the guy to automatically come in and do a good job.If the rookie LT, say Winston, outperformed gandy in camp and preseason, then they got lucky, but if he struggles, then gandy is a good choice to pick it up, while winston gets rep throughout the season until he improves.

Comment

• ICE74129
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Feb 2005

He could also play guard if we had Mangold at center and be a much better guard than Bennie Anderson..

I have nothing bad to saw about Fowler other than he's unproven as a starter.. I like Fowler. but we're not getting Mangold, I was making a statement of preference.

But it doesnt solve my dilemna.. No coach in their right frame of mind will start Two RAW guys on the left side of the line with a QB who hasnt proven nothing in the NFL.
                              He is our Center.

Again, we are going to address guard that is a given considering how much we offered Wells. We also brought in a Tackle and given the fact the Bills have said Peters is a RT period, that leaves LT to address in the draft.

Now the question is...what guard are they going to address? I say move the veteran to LG and put the rookie at RG. Then let Villarial go next year and bring in a vet LG.

Comment

Working...
                              X