PDA

View Full Version : May History repeat itself in 2006?

ghz in pittsburgh
04-07-2006, 11:22 AM
The release of the new schedule just reminded me of the last time the Bills opened with 2 road games: 1998.

Wade Philips stepped in as the new HC. They just traded for Rob Johnson as our QB. The Bills opened at San Diego and Miami - losing both. They would lose another heart breaker before RJ got hurt by the tip of the football at Indy. Flutie came in and the rest is history.

Looking back of that season, I think the Bills had a steady defense, even though they played poorly at the beginning of the season. On offense, Flutie had his best year in NFL, probably just caught NFL by surprise with his style of play. In any event, that year he had the best QB play for the Bills since Kelly's retirement, not just to 1998, but to 2005. And Eric Moulds stepped up, having his breakout year.

For the Bills of 2006 to give us any hope, one of the QBs must step forward and give us the best QB play since 1998. That's the biggie and I remember Jauron said as much. In McGahee and Evans, I think we have an excellant chance of having one breakout like Moulds did in 1998.

I predict our defense will surprise people this year - not like top 5 defense level but much, much better than they showed last year. There are top shelf talent in this defense and the brain trust have added nothing but those familiar with the cover 2 scheme to that side of the ball, making an easier transition. And as long as Marv and Bobby April are here, I think the ST will remain one of the best. Between our D and ST, I think they have a good chance to achieve what the 1998 defense and ST (lousy!) achieved.

So once again, we are hoping for someone on offense to give us a pleasant surprise.

Gunzlingr
04-07-2006, 11:26 AM
good post.

MDFINFAN
04-07-2006, 11:27 AM
Which is always a possibility, that's why I don't count no one out every year. Each year teams you don't expect to do something, find a way to do just that, win despite the odds makers.

Mr. Miyagi
04-07-2006, 11:29 AM
Except the Jets. :jetsuck:

patmoran2006
04-07-2006, 11:36 AM
The release of the new schedule just reminded me of the last time the Bills opened with 2 road games: 1998.

Wade Philips stepped in as the new HC. They just traded for Rob Johnson as our QB. The Bills opened at San Diego and Miami - losing both. They would lose another heart breaker before RJ got hurt by the tip of the football at Indy. Flutie came in and the rest is history.

Looking back of that season, I think the Bills had a steady defense, even though they played poorly at the beginning of the season. On offense, Flutie had his best year in NFL, probably just caught NFL by surprise with his style of play. In any event, that year he had the best QB play for the Bills since Kelly's retirement, not just to 1998, but to 2005. And Eric Moulds stepped up, having his breakout year.

For the Bills of 2006 to give us any hope, one of the QBs must step forward and give us the best QB play since 1998. That's the biggie and I remember Jauron said as much. In McGahee and Evans, I think we have an excellant chance of having one breakout like Moulds did in 1998.

I predict our defense will surprise people this year - not like top 5 defense level but much, much better than they showed last year. There are top shelf talent in this defense and the brain trust have added nothing but those familiar with the cover 2 scheme to that side of the ball, making an easier transition. And as long as Marv and Bobby April are here, I think the ST will remain one of the best. Between our D and ST, I think they have a good chance to achieve what the 1998 defense and ST (lousy!) achieved.

So once again, we are hoping for someone on offense to give us a pleasant surprise.

Good post.. the key is obviously one of the QB's really stepping up.

I agree about the defense, mainly because they can't possibly be worse than they were in 2005.

I think Peters is really going to become a monster this year now that he has more seasoning.. and I think McGee is going to step up to the top half of the great corners in this league.. I think he makes a Pro Bowl or two in the future as a CB< not just a KR.

madness
04-07-2006, 11:41 AM
and TKO is back!!! :flex:

ICE74129
04-07-2006, 11:44 AM
Here is the deal, DJ is a good teacher. His assistants are damn good ones. NO ONE HAS FILM ON US! that is GREAT! All of the crap playcalling from MM is gone. The predictable blitzes from grey are gone. They have an idea of what is coming, but not enough that we can't catch some teams off guard.

madness
04-07-2006, 11:58 AM
Here is the deal, DJ is a good teacher. His assistants are damn good ones. NO ONE HAS FILM ON US! that is GREAT! All of the crap playcalling from MM is gone. The predictable blitzes from grey are gone. They have an idea of what is coming, but not enough that we can't catch some teams off guard.

:up:

ublinkwescore
04-07-2006, 12:14 PM
Unfortunately, we don't have a very forgiving schedule - I think we're gonna start out 0-2 (unfortunately we'll drop our first two games to the Phins and Pats as much as I hate to admit it). That being said, I think we'll win our home games against both teams if we don't get a ton of injuries.