PDA

View Full Version : The Case for Davis

Devin
04-07-2006, 01:24 PM
You know i've been thinking a lot about this upcomming draft/season and I believe apart from drafting a QB/WR/RB at #8 we cant really lose. I am trying to look at this not as a Bills fan but rather a fan of of football and general.

Now there is a chance we draft Davis at 8, probably a better then average chance. I just dont worry much about our WR situation, there isnt a year that goes by some RB or WR has a monster breakout year. I agree the OL/DL should be a priority but this is one of the deepest "line" years ever. And we will still get a starter in round 2 maybe even round 3.

There are only a handful of teams in the NFL that successfully utilize a pass-catching TE. And most of them do quite well with it. If our ST unit stays on form, and our defense plays even close to its ability a big athletic TE like Davis in a 2 TE set with Royal throwing blocks could be huge. We will likely run a somewhat conservative offense, attempting to do what probably should have been done last year.

Heavy ground game, short passes, and a big-time TE.

What if the first 3 rounds went like this:

1. TE
2. DT
3. OT
3. OT/OG

Devin
04-07-2006, 01:26 PM
Keep in mind as I said im not biased one way or the other. I believe we will get a great player no matter what.

Im merely stating Davis could be a very good pickup for what we may do.

patmoran2006
04-07-2006, 01:26 PM
YOu had me sold on the title ;)

I LOVE It in EVERY aspect bro.

Kerr
04-07-2006, 01:27 PM
If fairchild uses martz' offense, there won't be a need for a TE unless it's blocking. If fairchild uses Vermeil's offense, then the TE will be a key factor ala tony gonzalez.

Devin
04-07-2006, 03:01 PM
If fairchild uses martz' offense, there won't be a need for a TE unless it's blocking. If fairchild uses Vermeil's offense, then the TE will be a key factor ala tony gonzalez.

I dont think we have the QB or WR for Martz offense.

Kerr
04-07-2006, 03:07 PM
I dont think we have the QB or WR for Martz offense.

Losman and Evans, Davis..etc.
Martz hardly ever used his TE's unless they were for blocking and the red zone, other that if we were to draft Davis, he would have to convert to a WR because he would hardly be used in a Martz like offense.

ICE74129
04-07-2006, 03:11 PM
You know i've been thinking a lot about this upcomming draft/season and I believe apart from drafting a QB/WR/RB at #8 we cant really lose. I am trying to look at this not as a Bills fan but rather a fan of of football and general.

Now there is a chance we draft Davis at 8, probably a better then average chance. I just dont worry much about our WR situation, there isnt a year that goes by some RB or WR has a monster breakout year. I agree the OL/DL should be a priority but this is one of the deepest "line" years ever. And we will still get a starter in round 2 maybe even round 3.

There are only a handful of teams in the NFL that successfully utilize a pass-catching TE. And most of them do quite well with it. If our ST unit stays on form, and our defense plays even close to its ability a big athletic TE like Davis in a 2 TE set with Royal throwing blocks could be huge. We will likely run a somewhat conservative offense, attempting to do what probably should have been done last year.

Heavy ground game, short passes, and a big-time TE.

What if the first 3 rounds went like this:

1. TE
2. DT
3. OT
3. OT/OG

Reverse 2 and 3 and it's liveable

Devin
04-07-2006, 03:12 PM
I think if we drafted davis youd see a sort of 2000 Ravens type offense. Big time TE, Heavy ground game, short/mid passes....etc.

patmoran2006
04-07-2006, 03:13 PM
Losman and Evans, Davis..etc.
Martz hardly ever used his TE's unless they were for blocking and the red zone, other that if we were to draft Davis, he would have to convert to a WR because he would hardly be used in a Martz like offense.

I agree about martz.. however.. Martz never had a talent at TE like Davis to work with either, I"m pretty sure he would have made some changes.

then again, few coaches have ever had a TE with the talent as Davis.

Devin
04-07-2006, 03:13 PM
Reverse 2 and 3 and it's liveable

Yeah I mean truthfully im sort of indifferent at 8. I will not be dissapointed with pretty much anyone (Huff, Ngata, Davis, Bunkley, Justice...etc).

Just more so throwing out a "what if".

Kerr
04-07-2006, 03:22 PM
I agree about martz.. however.. Martz never had a talent at TE like Davis to work with either, I"m pretty sure he would have made some changes.

then again, few coaches have ever had a TE with the talent as Davis.

Tis true, Martz has never had a TE close to the talent of Davis, but Martz offense is a form of the run and shoot. Not much use for a TE as a weapon in that offense. That's why I hope fairchild relates his offense more to vermeil's offense in KC.

ICE74129
04-07-2006, 03:23 PM
Yeah I mean truthfully im sort of indifferent at 8. I will not be dissapointed with pretty much anyone (Huff, Ngata, Davis, Bunkley, Justice...etc).

Just more so throwing out a "what if". We draft some damn DB and I will friggin flip. Screw that. Even Davis and Hawk can help get done what we need. We have DB's. Address the lines. (Hawk backs the lines, blitzes and stops the run, davis can block so that is the only reason I am bending slightly on this position)

patmoran2006
04-07-2006, 03:26 PM
Tis true, Martz has never had a TE close to the talent of Davis, but Martz offense is a form of the run and shoot. Not much use for a TE as a weapon in that offense. That's why I hope fairchild relates his offense more to vermeil's offense in KC.

Well by signing Royal for $10 million alone should show you we aint running no run and shoot offense. I'm a fairchild fan, btw. WE dont have the recievers to run any kind of run and shoot.

and I"m also highly against it anyway.. We need to POUND the ball with Willis and mix up the pass, have guys who can catch the ball and move the chains.

Saratoga Slim
04-07-2006, 03:34 PM
We draft some damn DB and I will friggin flip. Screw that. Even Davis and Hawk can help get done what we need. We have DB's. Address the lines. (Hawk backs the lines, blitzes and stops the run, davis can block so that is the only reason I am bending slightly on this position)

Hawk as the strong side back would probably help a great deal with the run stopping.

venis2k1
04-07-2006, 03:45 PM

i personally would like to see fairchild use fairchild's offense. A need that no one has pointed out is our size at WR. if we go OL in round one. i would like to see us go WR round 2(unless there is a very good interior lineman available, a Jean-Gilles, or a Taitusi Lutui). i think Derek Hagan of ASU would be a great fit in our offense. and there is a very good chance he will be there in round 2. him, evans, and parrish could be considered one of the best young WR cores in the nfl.