PDA

View Full Version : Bills QB Competition Underway

RedEyE
04-07-2006, 05:18 PM
Good article:

Bills QB Competition is Underway
Chris Brown, Lead Journalist – buffalobills.com
04/07/2006 5:21 PM
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>http://www.buffalobills.com/uploads/news/A589007D9199434495B71035995562A5.jpg</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

It's was only April 7, and it was only the first voluntary minicamp under new head coach Dick Jauron, but for the three men who will be battling it out for the starting quarterback job, the auditions have already begun.
"The competition started a month ago when we went in the classroom," said Kelly Holcomb referring to the offseason conditioning program which included classroom instruction. "As soon as you walk through the door people are evaluating you. That's part of this game."
In the seven-on-seven and team portions of practice on day one of the three-day camp, Holcomb was first in the rotation, followed by J.P. Losman and free agent pickup Craig Nall. Should anything be read into the rotation?
"You can read into it if you want," said Jauron. "But it's just begun and it's good. It's going to be the case at every position, but we understand that quarterback will be the focal point."
None of the three quarterbacks really hurt themselves in their first on field practice session together.
Losman had a couple of inaccurate passes early, but settled down and knifed some passes into some tight areas, and performed well on rollout plays.
Nall also had a few errant passes including one that was almost intercepted by Terrence McGee, and lacked some touch on a couple of dump-offs to the backs. But he too brought himself under control and had some good throws into some tight windows, particularly over the middle to the slot receivers and tight ends.
Holcomb was quick to check the ball down much like he did last season and was accurate for the most part, but did have a couple of deep balls that were off the mark.
While it is the hope of coach Jauron and the offensive staff that the three signal callers constantly push each other to be better, Nall is taking a more personal approach to the competition by drawing on past experience.
"If I start thinking about (the competitors) it's going to take away from my focus and what I'm trying to do on the field," said Nall. "I had a situation like that at LSU where I was looking over my shoulder constantly wondering what the other guys were doing and it kind of hindered me in a way. I wasn't getting better because I was constantly worrying about what the other guys were doing instead of taking are of my own business. So the competition I focus on is the one with myself."

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=3703

justasportsfan
04-07-2006, 05:44 PM
It was funny watching Jp and Holcomb throw to each other. I thought JP would aim for KH's face mask.

ICE74129
04-07-2006, 05:47 PM
Watch, Now DJ will follow Ralphs lead and fugg up by making holcomb the starter.

Night Train
04-07-2006, 06:08 PM
It was funny watching Jp and Holcomb throw to each other. I thought JP would aim for KH's face mask.

:rofl: Holcomb couldn't retaliate because his throw couldn't reach JP.

lordofgun
04-07-2006, 06:13 PM
Holcomb was quick to check the ball down much like he did last season and was accurate for the most part, but did have a couple of deep balls that were off the mark.

:puke: