The real reason we weren't aggressive in free agency is finally out in the open!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nighthawk
    Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
    • Jul 2002

The real reason we weren't aggressive in free agency is finally out in the open!

As I've said before, the reason that we were not aggressive in FA was not because Marv has this big plan, it's because Ralph is cheap and wants to keep his salary cap at a certain number. Really, that is it in a nutshell. Look at the signings, look at the moves...all 2nd tier players. It's pretty obvious with this weeks events, that Ralph is not really interested in winning it all, but he is more interested in how much money he can line his pockets with. Sorry, but that is how I see it.
  • ParanoidAndroid
    My battery is low and it's getting dark.
    • Apr 2004

Re: The real reason we weren't aggressive in free agency is finally out in the open!

Thank you for apologizing.

Comment

• Nighthawk
      • Jul 2002

Re: The real reason we weren't aggressive in free agency is finally out in the open!

Originally posted by andyxc71
      Thank you for apologizing.
      For what?

Comment

• Mitchy moo
        Roways rooking ahread!
        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Nighthawk
        As I've said before, the reason that we were not aggressive in FA was not because Marv has this big plan, it's because Ralph is cheap and wants to keep his salary cap at a certain number. Really, that is it in a nutshell. Look at the signings, look at the moves...all 2nd tier players. It's pretty obvious with this weeks events, that Ralph is not really interested in winning it all, but he is more interested in how much money he can line his pockets with. Sorry, but that is how I see it.
        A man worth $600 Million has lined pockets already, don't feel sorry for his stupid ***.

Comment

• Nighthawk
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Skooby
          A man worth $600 Million has lined pockets already, don't feel sorry for his stupid ***.
          Trust me, I don't...I just think it is a shame that he has to pull this crap everytime he doesn't get his way.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
            Roways rooking ahread!
            • Sep 2005

RW is no good for Buffalo any longer, he said WNYers are poor. We'll no **** daddy warbucks, keep charging us $7 for Beer and $20 to park and $60 for tickets and $5 for a hot dog. We are poor, he was right. He is directly responsible for our poorness, ***wipe.

Comment

• Nighthawk
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Skooby
              RW is no good for Buffalo any longer, he said WNYers are poor. We'll no **** daddy warbucks, keep charging us $7 for Beer and $20 to park and $60 for tickets and $5 for a hot dog. We are poor, he was right. He is directly responsible for our poorness, ***wipe.
              I wouldn't go that far. The Bills have some of the best prices in the NFL, so we really can't complain there. Those prices are all part of the joys of NFL and if we want to have a team, we can't complain about them. What aggravates me is that we sellout games for this organization and all he does is cry poor. Well, Ralph, how about doing a little more advertising...I mean, you are the pulse of Buffalo, why do I not see advertisements for the Bills everywhere I go? As the old saying goes, you have to spend money to make money and Ralph has never grasped this idea.

P.S. - Sell the freakin' naming rights to the stadium!

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                • Apr 2004

For what?
                Sorry, but that is how I see it.
                In effect? For having narrow vision.

Comment

• Nighthawk
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by andyxc71
                  In effect? For having narrow vision.
                  Trust me, it's not narrow vision...it's not being a homer. Just because I don't think like you, doesn't make it narrow. Grow up.

Comment

• Drive 4 Five
                    • May 2003

I wouldn't go that far. The Bills have some of the best prices in the NFL, so we really can't complain there. Those prices are all part of the joys of NFL and if we want to have a team, we can't complain about them. What aggravates me is that we sellout games for this organization and all he does is cry poor. Well, Ralph, how about doing a little more advertising...I mean, you are the pulse of Buffalo, why do I not see advertisements for the Bills everywhere I go? As the old saying goes, you have to spend money to make money and Ralph has never grasped this idea.

P.S. - Sell the freakin' naming rights to the stadium!
                    Good post bro. I think you struck a nerve right there. Ralph has to adapt to the state of the union or get out before he runs the franchise to the ground.

Comment

• BillsFever21
                      • Aug 2004

I think this is a fair conclusion.

Ralph has a certain budget. Ralph was used to the salary cap number before and was fine with this budget. He was fine with the return he would get with that much money coming out. Now the cap goes up but Ralph is still spending the same amount as the old cap.

Ralph went on a spending spree a few years ago when we signed some players to good contracts like Spikes, Milloy, Vincent and Mike Williams. That didn't work out so now he's been trying to make up for them contracts.

The last few years we haven't signed any players to big money extensions except for Schobel and haven't brought anybody that would cost any money in.

Ralph will spend some money and try for a run at it but he won't consistently do it. He just tried his run at it a few years ago and now it's time to save some money.

You have the salary cap going up 7 million or so and then the extra money paid out for getting rid of the coaching staff and bringing in new ones. He's cheaping out this year to make up for that money.

Next year he should be back to budget and might try and bring in some players. I don't see Ralph ever wanting to come close to the new salary cap limit though.

Ralph has a certain amount he wants to make. If he has to dish out another 15+ million in salaries that comes out of his profits. He can't raise ticket prices to cover the extra income coming out because this area couldn't afford it and not as many people would be able to attend games.

Since he can't cover the extra operating cost anywhere the only choice he has is to not spend it. He will save some money this year and maybe next and then he might try for another run at it.

He can't bring in any extra revenue to make up for the money coming out so he needs to make up for it in money going out to the players. He doesn't want to dip into his profits.

Figure if he was used to making 30 million a year profits and all of a sudden he has to dish out 10 million more in salaries that comes out of his profits. That's right about how far under the cap we are.

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
                        • Apr 2004

Trust me, it's not narrow vision...it's not being a homer. Just because I don't think like you, doesn't make it narrow. Grow up.
                        Why get nasty?

Why are the smaller market teams all behaving pretty much the same way?
                        guess who the two most agressive teams in FA were? Could it be Dallas and the Skins?
                        Ralph knows full well that a competetive team is how he is going to make more money. The team almost doubled its worth in the early 90's. He won't fill the seats with another 2 years of poor quality on the field. We went through a long period of going after higher profile FA's like Spikes, Adams, Bledsoe, and it sold tons of tickets but got us one winning season. Salary cap is just a fraction of what the business of running a football team is. The cap has gone up, but so has average player salary. Paying your players is the easy part but incoming revenue is where he makes his money. No pro-bowlers and fewer wins = less tickets sold = less condiments sold = less jersys sold and so on... Add that up...
                        All I'm saying is that there is likely more to it than just RW trying to line his pockets.

Comment

• Dozerdog
                          In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                          • Jul 2002

It appears to me that there is still a salary cap, and every team still pretty much spends up to that limit.

This has nothing to do with Ralph lining pockets.

You can still be successful in the NFL with the Bills and this CBA. It means you won't be tossing $50million contracts at guys like Steve Huchison and Nate Burelson, but you can still be a very good team without a ton of big name superstars.

Look at the last 10 teams that played in the Super Bowl. How many were built with crazy free agency spending?

The last one I can think of was Baltimore in 1999, and Oakland a few years ago.
                          Most were built solidly through the draft, had great coaching, and retained a lot of their own players instead of wasting it in FAcy.

Comment

• Bill Cody
                            • Sep 2004

Dozer- I must be really slow- I just got your avatar.:snicker2:

Comment

• Michael82
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dozerdog
                              It appears to me that there is still a salary cap, and every team still pretty much spends up to that limit.

This has nothing to do with Ralph lining pockets.

You can still be successful in the NFL with the Bills and this CBA. It means you won't be tossing $50million contracts at guys like Steve Huchison and Nate Burelson, but you can still be a very good team without a ton of big name superstars.

Look at the last 10 teams that played in the Super Bowl. How many were built with crazy free agency spending?

The last one I can think of was Baltimore in 1999, and Oakland a few years ago.
                              Most were built solidly through the draft, had great coaching, and retained a lot of their own players instead of wasting it in FAcy.
                              Good post!

Comment

Working...
                              X