PDA

View Full Version : The real reason we weren't aggressive in free agency is finally out in the open!

Nighthawk
04-07-2006, 09:59 PM
As I've said before, the reason that we were not aggressive in FA was not because Marv has this big plan, it's because Ralph is cheap and wants to keep his salary cap at a certain number. Really, that is it in a nutshell. Look at the signings, look at the moves...all 2nd tier players. It's pretty obvious with this weeks events, that Ralph is not really interested in winning it all, but he is more interested in how much money he can line his pockets with. Sorry, but that is how I see it. :curse:

ParanoidAndroid
04-07-2006, 10:04 PM
Thank you for apologizing.

Nighthawk
04-07-2006, 10:07 PM
Thank you for apologizing.

For what?

Mitchy moo
04-07-2006, 10:13 PM
As I've said before, the reason that we were not aggressive in FA was not because Marv has this big plan, it's because Ralph is cheap and wants to keep his salary cap at a certain number. Really, that is it in a nutshell. Look at the signings, look at the moves...all 2nd tier players. It's pretty obvious with this weeks events, that Ralph is not really interested in winning it all, but he is more interested in how much money he can line his pockets with. Sorry, but that is how I see it. :curse:

A man worth $600 Million has lined pockets already, don't feel sorry for his stupid ***.

Nighthawk
04-07-2006, 10:15 PM
A man worth $600 Million has lined pockets already, don't feel sorry for his stupid ***.

Trust me, I don't...I just think it is a shame that he has to pull this crap everytime he doesn't get his way.

Mitchy moo
04-07-2006, 10:20 PM
RW is no good for Buffalo any longer, he said WNYers are poor. We'll no **** daddy warbucks, keep charging us $7 for Beer and $20 to park and $60 for tickets and $5 for a hot dog. We are poor, he was right. He is directly responsible for our poorness, ***wipe.

Nighthawk
04-07-2006, 10:25 PM
RW is no good for Buffalo any longer, he said WNYers are poor. We'll no **** daddy warbucks, keep charging us $7 for Beer and $20 to park and $60 for tickets and $5 for a hot dog. We are poor, he was right. He is directly responsible for our poorness, ***wipe.

I wouldn't go that far. The Bills have some of the best prices in the NFL, so we really can't complain there. Those prices are all part of the joys of NFL and if we want to have a team, we can't complain about them. What aggravates me is that we sellout games for this organization and all he does is cry poor. Well, Ralph, how about doing a little more advertising...I mean, you are the pulse of Buffalo, why do I not see advertisements for the Bills everywhere I go? As the old saying goes, you have to spend money to make money and Ralph has never grasped this idea.

P.S. - Sell the freakin' naming rights to the stadium!

ParanoidAndroid
04-07-2006, 10:48 PM
For what?

Sorry, but that is how I see it.

In effect? For having narrow vision.

Nighthawk
04-07-2006, 10:51 PM
In effect? For having narrow vision.

Trust me, it's not narrow vision...it's not being a homer. Just because I don't think like you, doesn't make it narrow. Grow up.

Drive 4 Five
04-07-2006, 10:55 PM
I wouldn't go that far. The Bills have some of the best prices in the NFL, so we really can't complain there. Those prices are all part of the joys of NFL and if we want to have a team, we can't complain about them. What aggravates me is that we sellout games for this organization and all he does is cry poor. Well, Ralph, how about doing a little more advertising...I mean, you are the pulse of Buffalo, why do I not see advertisements for the Bills everywhere I go? As the old saying goes, you have to spend money to make money and Ralph has never grasped this idea.

P.S. - Sell the freakin' naming rights to the stadium!

Good post bro. I think you struck a nerve right there. Ralph has to adapt to the state of the union or get out before he runs the franchise to the ground.

BillsFever21
04-08-2006, 09:02 AM
I think this is a fair conclusion.

Ralph has a certain budget. Ralph was used to the salary cap number before and was fine with this budget. He was fine with the return he would get with that much money coming out. Now the cap goes up but Ralph is still spending the same amount as the old cap.

Ralph went on a spending spree a few years ago when we signed some players to good contracts like Spikes, Milloy, Vincent and Mike Williams. That didn't work out so now he's been trying to make up for them contracts.

The last few years we haven't signed any players to big money extensions except for Schobel and haven't brought anybody that would cost any money in.

Ralph will spend some money and try for a run at it but he won't consistently do it. He just tried his run at it a few years ago and now it's time to save some money.

You have the salary cap going up 7 million or so and then the extra money paid out for getting rid of the coaching staff and bringing in new ones. He's cheaping out this year to make up for that money.

Next year he should be back to budget and might try and bring in some players. I don't see Ralph ever wanting to come close to the new salary cap limit though.

Ralph has a certain amount he wants to make. If he has to dish out another 15+ million in salaries that comes out of his profits. He can't raise ticket prices to cover the extra income coming out because this area couldn't afford it and not as many people would be able to attend games.

Since he can't cover the extra operating cost anywhere the only choice he has is to not spend it. He will save some money this year and maybe next and then he might try for another run at it.

He can't bring in any extra revenue to make up for the money coming out so he needs to make up for it in money going out to the players. He doesn't want to dip into his profits.

Figure if he was used to making 30 million a year profits and all of a sudden he has to dish out 10 million more in salaries that comes out of his profits. That's right about how far under the cap we are.

ParanoidAndroid
04-08-2006, 10:55 AM
Trust me, it's not narrow vision...it's not being a homer. Just because I don't think like you, doesn't make it narrow. Grow up.

Why get nasty?

Why are the smaller market teams all behaving pretty much the same way?
guess who the two most agressive teams in FA were? Could it be Dallas and the Skins?
Ralph knows full well that a competetive team is how he is going to make more money. The team almost doubled its worth in the early 90's. He won't fill the seats with another 2 years of poor quality on the field. We went through a long period of going after higher profile FA's like Spikes, Adams, Bledsoe, and it sold tons of tickets but got us one winning season. Salary cap is just a fraction of what the business of running a football team is. The cap has gone up, but so has average player salary. Paying your players is the easy part but incoming revenue is where he makes his money. No pro-bowlers and fewer wins = less tickets sold = less condiments sold = less jersys sold and so on... Add that up...
All I'm saying is that there is likely more to it than just RW trying to line his pockets.

Dozerdog
04-08-2006, 11:12 AM
It appears to me that there is still a salary cap, and every team still pretty much spends up to that limit.

This has nothing to do with Ralph lining pockets.

You can still be successful in the NFL with the Bills and this CBA. It means you won't be tossing $50million contracts at guys like Steve Huchison and Nate Burelson, but you can still be a very good team without a ton of big name superstars.

Look at the last 10 teams that played in the Super Bowl. How many were built with crazy free agency spending?

The last one I can think of was Baltimore in 1999, and Oakland a few years ago.
Most were built solidly through the draft, had great coaching, and retained a lot of their own players instead of wasting it in FAcy.

Bill Cody
04-08-2006, 11:19 AM
Dozer- I must be really slow- I just got your avatar.:snicker2:

Michael82
04-08-2006, 12:31 PM
It appears to me that there is still a salary cap, and every team still pretty much spends up to that limit.

This has nothing to do with Ralph lining pockets.

You can still be successful in the NFL with the Bills and this CBA. It means you won't be tossing $50million contracts at guys like Steve Huchison and Nate Burelson, but you can still be a very good team without a ton of big name superstars.

Look at the last 10 teams that played in the Super Bowl. How many were built with crazy free agency spending?

Most were built solidly through the draft, had great coaching, and retained a lot of their own players instead of wasting it in FAcy.
Good post! :clap:

YardRat
04-08-2006, 12:36 PM

:roflmao:

***** because Ralph 'won't do anything to increase revenues', and ***** because he already has.

You can't have your cake and eat it too, skoob :D

dolphan117
04-08-2006, 12:54 PM
I don't know if this is true or not but I will say this, the previous owner of the Vikings purposefully stayed well under the salary cap and ran the team as cheaply as he could so that it would be a more attractive franchise to sell. IF there is consideration being given to selling the Bills it would make sense to cut operating costs so that whoever buys the teams gets a franchise that is operating in the black as much as possible.

The last buffalo fan
04-08-2006, 01:12 PM
All of this is just bull ****. We can't depend on the BIG names, what we need is players, regular and common football players. Lets give the scouts and players evaluator, make their job. PLEASE remember, that the last few champions team, were made out of no name players, just regular players, willing to ear their salary and die on the line, for their team and city.

By the way, I think those are harder to find, than the big time, big name players.

patmoran2006
04-08-2006, 01:30 PM
Why get nasty?

Why are the smaller market teams all behaving pretty much the same way?
guess who the two most agressive teams in FA were? Could it be Dallas and the Skins?
Ralph knows full well that a competetive team is how he is going to make more money. The team almost doubled its worth in the early 90's. He won't fill the seats with another 2 years of poor quality on the field. We went through a long period of going after higher profile FA's like Spikes, Adams, Bledsoe, and it sold tons of tickets but got us one winning season. Salary cap is just a fraction of what the business of running a football team is. The cap has gone up, but so has average player salary. Paying your players is the easy part but incoming revenue is where he makes his money. No pro-bowlers and fewer wins = less tickets sold = less condiments sold = less jersys sold and so on... Add that up...
All I'm saying is that there is likely more to it than just RW trying to line his pockets.

Really? I thought it was the Browns who signed Bentley, Shaffer, Juervicious, Washington, and McGinest. ARe the Browns a bigger market than Buffalo?

Wasn't it Tennesee that signed David Givens, David Thorton, Kevin Mawae and Chris Hope?

NOt big market teams, so dont give me that "small markets cant spend" CRAP. It comes down to what teams are WILLING to spend.. SOme do smartly, some do stupidly.. But Big AND small market teams have the same opportunity.

Mr. Pink
04-08-2006, 01:33 PM
Don't forget the epitome of small market teams, the Arizona Cardinals signed Edge.

patmoran2006
04-08-2006, 01:33 PM
And im NOT suggesting we SHOULD have spent like Cleveland.. THe point was you CAN the same as 31 other teams, that's why there is a cap.

The Redskins prove that just because you spend doesnt mean you win.

Look at baseball.. teams like the Twins, Marlins (til they have their fire sales) and Cleveland now are competitive.

Dozerdog
04-08-2006, 01:43 PM
Cleveland had no players = more money to spend.

Seems simple to me why they got a lot in free agency

Mr. Pink
04-08-2006, 01:46 PM
Cleveland had no players = more money to spend.

Seems simple to me why they got a lot in free agency

Funny how they had NO players and still finished with a better record than the Bills...YET still went out and LEGITIMATELY improved their team through FA.

patmoran2006
04-08-2006, 01:47 PM
They had no players yet still had a better record than we did last year, with a rookie QB too..

I am not saying Cleveland's moves will work out, other than they DEFINITELY now have a legit OL.. I'm not saying Buffalo moves WONT work out until we see how good Tripplett is w/o Freeney, or Bowens and Royal and Andre Davis and possibly (god forbid) Craig Nall.

I think given the Bills situation, even if marv WANTED to get a guy who was gonna cost money, it wasnt gonna happen.

Don't Panic
04-08-2006, 01:53 PM
I really don't get this complaint... with the exception of the DT we went after that Green Bay got and maybe Schaeffer and Jurivicus, who Cleveland got, who should we have picked up? I see method to Marv's approach and I think our offseason has much more to do with his desires than Ralph's stinginess. This was not going to be a one year fix, plain and simple. Better to lay down the groundwork this year and make a bigger splash next year when a philosophical foundation is set.

Mr. Pink
04-08-2006, 01:57 PM
bwb, I've been meaning to ask you, about your Sig...why would Cleveland want to trade up in the draft? Seeing you want to trade down with them.

Don't Panic
04-08-2006, 02:24 PM
That needs an update... when Ngata was projected at #8 and Bunkley at #12, it looked like a deal that made a lot of sense. I've got a new idea now...

patmoran2006
04-08-2006, 02:32 PM
I really don't get this complaint... with the exception of the DT we went after that Green Bay got and maybe Schaeffer and Jurivicus, who Cleveland got, who should we have picked up? I see method to Marv's approach and I think our offseason has much more to do with his desires than Ralph's stinginess. This was not going to be a one year fix, plain and simple. Better to lay down the groundwork this year and make a bigger splash next year when a philosophical foundation is set.

IMO?
If we're even considering drafting a LT to start, then the FIRST thing is to find a starting LG who's an improvement over Bennie Anderson.

By signing Tripplett, he's currently useless with Tim Anderson next to him.. I would have signed another DT, not necessarily a huge name.. Leonard Davis or Kendrick Clancy dont come with the hype Pickett or Rocky Bernard did but they would have been great fits on this defense.

That's just two spots right there, LG and DT and Im not even talking the HUGE names either... I'd also like to have a more proven RB behind Willis, who gets banged up often.. both Thomas and NOrris were in town, we didnt get nothing done with either of them.. Neither would have broke the bank.

ParanoidAndroid
04-08-2006, 02:34 PM
Really? I thought it was the Browns who signed Bentley, Shaffer, Juervicious, Washington, and McGinest. ARe the Browns a bigger market than Buffalo?

Wasn't it Tennesee that signed David Givens, David Thorton, Kevin Mawae and Chris Hope?

NOt big market teams, so dont give me that "small markets cant spend" CRAP. It comes down to what teams are WILLING to spend.. SOme do smartly, some do stupidly.. But Big AND small market teams have the same opportunity.

You really need to tone down the language. You are one rude person. How far were Cleveland and Tennessee under the cap? And if you consider players clearly in the last throes of their careers (Washington, McGinest, Mawae) big time signings...Jurevicious is a role player who probably should have stayed in Seattle for less money. who was the team sending their chartered jets to pick up free agents? You call that equal opportunity?

Don't Panic
04-08-2006, 02:38 PM
IMO?
If we're even considering drafting a LT to start, then the FIRST thing is to find a starting LG who's an improvement over Bennie Anderson.

By signing Tripplett, he's currently useless with Tim Anderson next to him.. I would have signed another DT, not necessarily a huge name.. Leonard Davis or Kendrick Clancy dont come with the hype Pickett or Rocky Bernard did but they would have been great fits on this defense.

That's just two spots right there, LG and DT and Im not even talking the HUGE names either... I'd also like to have a more proven RB behind Willis, who gets banged up often.. both Thomas and NOrris were in town, we didnt get nothing done with either of them.. Neither would have broke the bank.

DT can easily be addressed in the draft and, to be honest, I really would like to see what Gates can do in the backup RB role. I think there's something there. Thomas does nothing for me... has he even been signed by anyone yet? As for LG, we tried for Wells, didn't pan out. Quality LG's can be had in the 3rd rounds of most drafts. Am I banking on the draft to solve too many of our problems? Not if you draft right.

patmoran2006
04-08-2006, 02:42 PM
Long-term maybe.. But are you banking on ROOKIES (plural) to make this a better football team than it was in 2005?

Don't Panic
04-08-2006, 02:47 PM
Is 7 wins better than 5? In some cases, yes, but the important thing is that a foundation is being laid. That should be the primary goal for this year. Lay a foundation for the future.

Lone Stranger
04-08-2006, 04:07 PM
I believe the original thread had much merit to it and some of the follow-up comments were on target as well. Ralph wants a certan amount of $ in his pocket and the rest goes to the players. He is not willing to dip into his $ to sign some players. The Pickett situation clearly shows that. With a few more $ we could have had the guy and plugged a big hole. Now we are wandering around signing any slug who can walk.

Don't Panic
04-08-2006, 04:33 PM
I believe the original thread had much merit to it and some of the follow-up comments were on target as well. Ralph wants a certan amount of $ in his pocket and the rest goes to the players. He is not willing to dip into his $ to sign some players. The Pickett situation clearly shows that. With a few more $ we could have had the guy and plugged a big hole. Now we are wandering around signing any slug who can walk.

By this argument, then, we will never be at the salary cap limit, correct? If that is what you are saying, I think we need to revisit this issue this time next year. If we aren't committing every dollar available to being VERY competitive in 2007, then you are right. Otherwise, it obviously was an attempt to wait until there were things worth spending the money on.

PromoTheRobot
04-08-2006, 04:56 PM
You don't think it's because we're saving money for June 1st cap cuts? Naw! That's too smart for the Bills.

PTR

Dozerdog
04-08-2006, 07:24 PM
Long-term maybe.. But are you banking on ROOKIES (plural) to make this a better football team than it was in 2005?
High priced older free agents might make us better in 2006, but lousier in 2007, 2008, 2009.

Bill Brasky
04-08-2006, 07:29 PM

All things Buffalo seems to fail miserably at.

Terrible drafting... I could make a laundry list.

Mike Mularkey, Greg Williams, Dick Jauron as coaches.

Cutting veterans to "save cap space" which goes unused.

If you're theory is correct, no wonder the team never wins.

Plain and simple, this organization cries "WNY is cheap" when it acts just as cheap itself.