PDA

View Full Version : Part of Ralphs problem is he is too old school

ICE74129
04-08-2006, 09:19 AM
I know what Ralph is wanting, but that isn't the way it is anymore. Ralph is NOT the owner to take this team any further. Keeping naming rights, focus more on football than money....sorry, those days are gone.

Ralph wilson isn't going to change the way the NFL works. He is an old school owner in new age times. That means it's past his time and all he is doing is hurting what he built.

To me Ralph is saying 'It's MINE! And I would rather see it die than be changed to what the other teams are today'. That may be his right, but it will signal the end of pro football in WNY. That in effect says FU to all the loyal Bills fans that have fed his pockets all of these years.

He might own the team but he isn't THE team. No owner is! the FANS are that team. Hey let billy friggin gates buy a team. If no one is a fan then he sits with 80K of empty friggin seats! Owners aren't what makes a team.

If ralph wilson really wants to do what is RIGHT for what he built, step aside. You have your legacy ralph. You did what you felt was right for 46 years, but the times have passed you by. You are now more of a liability than an asset. But...he won't. He is bound and determined that when he dies, the team is how HE wants it...even if it means he has to fold it up and move it.

If I were 87 years old, I would sell this SOB to an owner with much deeper pockets, someone I felt would keep her here regardless. (And yes I know there is no guarantee) And I would ask a few things. Make sure fans remembered me. She is yours now but I birthed her, raised her and loved her. I have earned the right to be remembered for that. I also want a free Luxury box for me and the family as long as he owns the team. Things like that. I would get out while I could and leave tons to my family and sit back and just be a damn fan the last few years of my life.

There IS always a time to walk away from things. This is ralph wilsons time. I hope his family and friends can talk him into doing the right thing.

The_Philster
04-08-2006, 09:21 AM
Name one person you really feel is rich enough to not only buy the Bills, but have them survive without revenue sharing...gonna take more than a mere Billionaire

Typ0
04-08-2006, 09:42 AM
I really get a kick out of how many people have the attitude "give it to someone who has enough money to throw it away and everything will be fine". I hate to tell you this, but those people don't exist.

The_Philster
04-08-2006, 09:43 AM
No kidding...Snyder and Jones wouldn't even be able to pull it off for very long...they'd end up moving the team :sadwalk:

patmoran2006
04-08-2006, 09:46 AM
the ONLY way Wilson sells this team AND they stay in Buffalo is if the league changes to the policy towards revenue sharing for a new owner, I dont care how deep his pockets are..

ICE74129
04-08-2006, 09:50 AM
Ralph can't afford them WITH revenue sharing. Yes the process needs to be changed, but no one is going to listen to ralph.

I love when fans think Ralph is so well thought of in NFL Circles. Yeah they really stood behind him at the CBA table didn't they? He has been elected to the HOF...errr...

Ralph has to sell in order for the Bills to survive.

Drive 4 Five
04-08-2006, 09:51 AM
As I sit here today, this is not a matter of making money for the Buffalo Bills," he told reporters. "It's a matter of survival. We just want to survive. And I think a lot of other clubs are in the same fix."

Well other than Cinicinatti I sure as hell don't see any other owners stepping up to back him. That will be key.

The_Philster
04-08-2006, 09:53 AM
As I sit here today, this is not a matter of making money for the Buffalo Bills," he told reporters. "It's a matter of survival. We just want to survive. And I think a lot of other clubs are in the same fix."

Well other than Cinicinatti I sure as hell don't see any other owners stepping up to back him. That will be key.
I honestly wonder how many small market owners have read through the CBA thoroughly :idunno: :scratch:

Drive 4 Five
04-08-2006, 09:54 AM
Ralph can't afford them WITH revenue sharing. Yes the process needs to be changed, but no one is going to listen to ralph.

I love when fans think Ralph is so well thought of in NFL Circles. Yeah they really stood behind him at the CBA table didn't they? He has been elected to the HOF...errr...

Ralph has to sell in order for the Bills to survive.

But how can you say that? What proof do you have? Do you have some financial statements that show how much it takes to run the Buffalo Bill's franchise and how much he makes?

I wonder if he might but he is being a hard ass because he doesn't want to spend his money when the others make more than him. In that sense he feels like it costs him more since he has less?

I don't know.

ICE74129
04-08-2006, 09:54 AM
I honestly wonder how many small market owners have read through the CBA thoroughly :idunno: :scratch:

Well ralph said he wasn't able to read it all so I would say none of them.

The_Philster
04-08-2006, 09:57 AM
Well ralph said he wasn't able to read it all so I would say none of them.
maybe his press conference will spur them on to reading it and agreeing with him. With the exception of the Packers, no team is 100% safe. Jones and Snyder have it good now, and probably will for a long time to come. But who's to say things couldn't change sometime down the road?

Drive 4 Five
04-08-2006, 09:58 AM

That certainly is an issue. Ralph was quoted a saying that he felt that many were pressured into voting out of fear. It is a pretty legitimate fear too. No salary cap? The small market teams sure as hell would be in trouble then. Still I'm surprised more have not come forth. They need to move their ass.

Drive 4 Five
04-08-2006, 10:03 AM
Wilson, one of two NFL owners to vote against the new Collective Bargaining Agreement hammered out last month, is keenly interested in how league owners negotiate the fine details of sharing local revenue. Under that local revenue-sharing agreement, large-market teams with higher ticket, suite and sponsorship revenue have to share some of that extra revenue with smaller-market teams.

This quote right here. To me it speaks volumes. Why should those who have maximized their profits be forced to share with the owners who have been less fortunate? Now the revenue from the television market has to be shared equally to be fair but you can't fault those men for being good business.

Worse Ralph refuses to change. He won't seel the naming rights to the stadium. He doesn't want a new stadium. You have to adapt with what is going on in today's business so yes ICE might just be right, he is too OLD SCHOOL.

The_Philster
04-08-2006, 10:07 AM
naming rights to a stadium in Buffalo won't bring in nearly as much as they do in most NFL cities for one

I think it's ridiculous to blame Ralph for the state of WNY economy. Owners like Jones and Snyder make more because their teams are in wealthier areas where people can afford to spend twice as much on NFL tickets as we do in Buffalo..there are also more wealthy businesses in Dallas and Washington than in Buffalo.

Drive 4 Five
04-08-2006, 10:11 AM
On the other hand, if he raised ticket prices and parking like everyone else has, that wouldn't neccessarily be the answer either with the crumbling economy of western NY. In the end the only thing that is going to change anything is if we start winning some damn games. I asked this in another thread. If we were among the NFL's elite year in and year out like say the Pittsburgh Steelers, would we even be having this conversation? Was Pittsburgh much different from us long ago? Not likely but they have adapted and the difference is that Rooney is willing to put money forth to make money, to take risk, and Ralph apparently isn't willing to do that.

What I am saying is that Greg Williams (a defensive coordinator) is probably making more than Marv Levy, I sure as hell know he makes more than Jauron. But in the game today, is his salary really too mcuh? Not if you think he will devise the defensive game plan that is going to have you holding the Lombardi Trophy soon.

Drive 4 Five
04-08-2006, 10:17 AM
naming rights to a stadium in Buffalo won't bring in nearly as much as they do in most NFL cities for one

I think it's ridiculous to blame Ralph for the state of WNY economy. Owners like Jones and Snyder make more because their teams are in wealthier areas where people can afford to spend twice as much on NFL tickets as we do in Buffalo..there are also more wealthy businesses in Dallas and Washington than in Buffalo.

You're not implying that I personally am blaming him for the economy are you? Oh and why won't selling the naming right make a difference? You might know more than me about how this stuff works. I'm just asking. I am not disagreeing with you.

On another note. Look at the women in your signature. One is a Jill and the other a Bandette. It seems to me like the Bandette is WAY hotter. Do you think if the Jills were hotter it would make a difference?

I'm kidding but I do find that startling. That Danielle is a fox. Woah.

Jan Reimers
04-08-2006, 10:20 AM
Ralph is simply lobbying Bills' fans, politicians and the league itself to get support for his position on the CBA and revenue sharing.

He won't move the Bills, and hopefully he will have an agreement in place for Golisano to buy the team when he passes on. But I agree with Philster - Golisano can't really do it without revenue sharing. That issue, i.e., that new ownership is not eligible for revenue sharing, must be resolved.

ICE74129
04-08-2006, 10:22 AM
Read this. Apperantly ralph is WAY off base on issues. Chicken little didn't read nor understand the CBA before calling his PC and looking like a fool.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Scroll down to see it.

(http://www.profootballtalk.com/)

The_Philster
04-08-2006, 10:33 AM
You're not implying that I personally am blaming him for the economy are you? Oh and why won't selling the naming right make a difference? You might know more than me about how this stuff works. I'm just asking. I am not disagreeing with you.
Well, the big reason he's not making more is because of the WNY economy...Dallas and D.C. are wealthy areas...Buffalo isn't. Fans can afford to pay twice as much for games in those cities because they make significantly more than we do in WNY...ticket prices, parking fees are all part of it. Also, where do you think advertisers would rather spend their money on football stadium naming rights? On a stadium in a wealthy area like DC or in an area with a depressed economy such as Buffalo. Winning may help improve that image to advertisers, but by how much.

On another note. Look at the women in your signature. One is a Jill and the other a Bandette. It seems to me like the Bandette is WAY hotter. Do you think if the Jills were hotter it would make a difference?

I'm kidding but I do find that startling. That Danielle is a fox. Woah.matter of taste...I won't say one is hotter than the other because I just won't play favorites..especially seeing as how I know them. Aimee's a fox though as well, IMO. Even as a vampire
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5ce11b3127cce9544bdb07fb000000016108AcOGrFo2buR

The_Philster
04-08-2006, 10:35 AM
Read this. Apperantly ralph is WAY off base on issues. Chicken little didn't read nor understand the CBA before calling his PC and looking like a fool.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Scroll down to see it.

(http://www.profootballtalk.com/)
so you're saying PFT knows the CBA based on what they are saying in their opinions?

Drive 4 Five
04-08-2006, 10:41 AM
I read the article. All this is doing is giving me a headache. Did you read the article in the Buffalo News? Wilson sound the alarm on Bill's future? I think the two are a little contradictory but my head hurts too much to distinguish how. In the Buffalo news article it says that the qualifiers have in fact already been articulated, the other article says they have not and that Wilson acknowledged that. Whose right and whose wrong? The Buffalo article clearly states that a new owner would not be qualified to revenue sharing under the new CBA. The other article says this is simply a scare tactic. WTF. Until someone can quote specifics from the new CBA I'd say all of it is speculating but I am going to put more faith in the Buffalo News than Profootball Talk that's for sure.

Drive 4 Five
04-08-2006, 10:47 AM
Well, the big reason he's not making more is because of the WNY economy...Dallas and D.C. are wealthy areas...Buffalo isn't. Fans can afford to pay twice as much for games in those cities because they make significantly more than we do in WNY...ticket prices, parking fees are all part of it. Also, where do you think advertisers would rather spend their money on football stadium naming rights? On a stadium in a wealthy area like DC or in an area with a depressed economy such as Buffalo. Winning may help improve that image to advertisers, but by how much.matter of taste...I won't say one is hotter than the other because I just won't play favorites..especially seeing as how I know them. Aimee's a fox though as well, IMO. Even as a vampire
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5ce11b3127cce9544bdb07fb000000016108AcOGrFo2buR

In regard to the WNY economy and raising ticket prices, I had already acknowledged that I understoofd how this may not be possible. As for naming rights, Ralph clearly does not think it would help. He was quoted as saying that he couldn't sign a college free agent with the money he would get from giving up his name so he must have looked into it at some point. It is a VERY complicated issue. I don't think Wilson is a fool however and wish people would stop being so damn dissrespectful.

Nighthawk
04-08-2006, 10:50 AM
Listen, Ralph needs to sell the team. If he cares sooo...much about the community, then why is he not putting every effort into finding an owner who can afford the team and keep them in Buffalo? I think that speaks volumes for this guy's motives. If Minnesota can find a new owner who lives in another city, but is willing to keep the team in Minnesota, why can't Buffalo? Another thing, why do we never here anything coming out of Green Bay regarding how they can't survive? I mean, they're a lot smaller community than Buffalo! I think too many fans give Ralph an easy ride and it is about time people really start to see him for what he is.

Drive 4 Five
04-08-2006, 10:53 AM
Phil I believe that winning consistently would greatly improve the image to advertisers. I believe that 100%. I still trust Levy and I hope we start winning soon.

The_Philster
04-08-2006, 10:56 AM
Listen, Ralph needs to sell the team. If he cares sooo...much about the community, then why is he not putting every effort into finding an owner who can afford the team and keep them in Buffalo? I think that speaks volumes for this guy's motives. If Minnesota can find a new owner who lives in another city, but is willing to keep the team in Minnesota, why can't Buffalo? Another thing, why do we never here anything coming out of Green Bay regarding how they can't survive? I mean, they're a lot smaller community than Buffalo! I think too many fans give Ralph an easy ride and it is about time people really start to see him for what he is.
You can't use Green Bay in this argument. The Packers are owned by the community...which means they can't be sold.
And before you start to speculate, no, Buffalo can't buy the Bills...a team must have a majority owner according to the NFL by-laws...by-laws that were put in place long after Green Bay's situation started

Drive 4 Five
04-08-2006, 10:56 AM

You don't know whether he has or has not. And judging by your statement, you must be one of the believers that Ralph's claim that a new owner would not be qualified to participate in the revenue sharing is false? I think that is the big issue. If that is in fact the truth, who the hell is going to want to buy the team under those conditions?

Dozerdog
04-08-2006, 11:01 AM
You don't know whether he has or has not. And judging by your statement, you must be one of the believers that Ralph's claim that a new owner would not be qualified to participate in the revenue sharing is false? I think that is the big issue. If that is in fact the truth, who the hell is going to want to buy the team under those conditions?

Someone who can make up revenue sharing with larger local revenues. Basically, a really rich guy who will relocate the team to a market where those revenues can be generated.

In essence, someone who will move them

Drive 4 Five
04-08-2006, 11:08 AM
Someone who can make up revenue sharing with larger local revenues. Basically, a really rich guy who will relocate the team to a market where those revenues can be generated.

In essence, someone who will move them

In that case I hope Ralph never sells. Let the Bills die in Buffalo. Or if he does sell the name stays in Buffalo. I will not cheer for the L.A. Bills. I won't.

Mr. Pink
04-08-2006, 11:19 AM
Ok....the Bills are NOT the only small market team in the NFL.

According to Forbes, the Oakland Raiders, based on 2004 numbers...HAD THE LEAST AMOUNT OF OPERATING REVENUE. The Raiders had about 8 million in operating revenue for 2004. The Bills had 34.8 million in operating revenue. Yet, you don't see Al Davis complain about the new CBA and we all know he's complained/sued the league numerous times. Meanwhile, somehow only Ralph has interpreted the CBA in a manner that kills all small market teams? Why the hell is AZ building a new stadium then? Why would the Vikes agree to this, seeing they have a NEW owner, by the way, the Vikes are the LOWEST valued franchise in the NFL. Indy is a small market and has been competitive, the Falcons don't make much money and are competitive. 3 of these 5 teams I just listed were COMPETITIVE last year on the field.

Plenty of these things just don't add up to me. If the CBA was as bad of a deal as Ralph states, other owners would join in to complain about it. ESPECIALLY after Ralph came out yesterday and said this, these teams would scurry to read the CBA and see how he came up with, announce their own PCs to complain in unison with Ralph. And you better know damn straight it woulda happened already. Yet it hasn't? Is Ralph the only small market owner with any business sense? Not likely.

Being a Browns fan I remember an owner sitting around complaining he wasn't making enough money, etc etc etc. It all looks like deja vu, Ralph is just setting this all up to make it look like he or ANYONE else can't be economically viable here. That way when he sells the team to an outside interest who moves the team to LA, Tor, San Antonio or San Juan Puerto Rico he keeps his legacy somewhat intact. This could be because there is no local interest groups either a. interested or b. able to afford the team as well.

After a day of trying to digest all of this, either the NFL is trying to strong arm itself out of EVERY small market or Ralph is reading into things incorrectly. I'd like to believe that the NFL wants to keep teams in small markets to widen national fan base. Obviously they want a team in LA, second biggest market in the US to raise TV revenue and raise shared revenue. Also if you don't qualify for shared revenue if you were to sell the team, NO ONE WOULD BUY A TEAM PERIOD. Who is gonna make money under a system like this? If you wanna go with Snyder and Jones would, then wouldn't they sell their teams to a family member so they can make even more cash? Non-sharing after sale of team makes ZERO sense and is highly inplausible.

Bottom line, the NFL is big business....and in business you need to spend money to make money. When you nickle and dime as much as you can, you cut into your potential gains. Not too mention what Ralph did yesterday is also BAD business. He alienated himself from literally EVERY other owner in this league, seeing he's calling out the BIG owners as greedy and basically without saying it, implying the other small market owners are stupid for agreeing with the CBA. He wants the team to stay here BUT then says the team can't make money here....who's gonna keep the team here that he sells it to?

UGH.

Nighthawk
04-08-2006, 11:43 AM
Ok....the Bills are NOT the only small market team in the NFL.

According to Forbes, the Oakland Raiders, based on 2004 numbers...HAD THE LEAST AMOUNT OF OPERATING REVENUE. The Raiders had about 8 million in operating revenue for 2004. The Bills had 34.8 million in operating revenue. Yet, you don't see Al Davis complain about the new CBA and we all know he's complained/sued the league numerous times. Meanwhile, somehow only Ralph has interpreted the CBA in a manner that kills all small market teams? Why the hell is AZ building a new stadium then? Why would the Vikes agree to this, seeing they have a NEW owner, by the way, the Vikes are the LOWEST valued franchise in the NFL. Indy is a small market and has been competitive, the Falcons don't make much money and are competitive. 3 of these 5 teams I just listed were COMPETITIVE last year on the field.

Plenty of these things just don't add up to me. If the CBA was as bad of a deal as Ralph states, other owners would join in to complain about it. ESPECIALLY after Ralph came out yesterday and said this, these teams would scurry to read the CBA and see how he came up with, announce their own PCs to complain in unison with Ralph. And you better know damn straight it woulda happened already. Yet it hasn't? Is Ralph the only small market owner with any business sense? Not likely.

Being a Browns fan I remember an owner sitting around complaining he wasn't making enough money, etc etc etc. It all looks like deja vu, Ralph is just setting this all up to make it look like he or ANYONE else can't be economically viable here. That way when he sells the team to an outside interest who moves the team to LA, Tor, San Antonio or San Juan Puerto Rico he keeps his legacy somewhat intact. This could be because there is no local interest groups either a. interested or b. able to afford the team as well.

After a day of trying to digest all of this, either the NFL is trying to strong arm itself out of EVERY small market or Ralph is reading into things incorrectly. I'd like to believe that the NFL wants to keep teams in small markets to widen national fan base. Obviously they want a team in LA, second biggest market in the US to raise TV revenue and raise shared revenue. Also if you don't qualify for shared revenue if you were to sell the team, NO ONE WOULD BUY A TEAM PERIOD. Who is gonna make money under a system like this? If you wanna go with Snyder and Jones would, then wouldn't they sell their teams to a family member so they can make even more cash? Non-sharing after sale of team makes ZERO sense and is highly inplausible.

Bottom line, the NFL is big business....and in business you need to spend money to make money. When you nickle and dime as much as you can, you cut into your potential gains. Not too mention what Ralph did yesterday is also BAD business. He alienated himself from literally EVERY other owner in this league, seeing he's calling out the BIG owners as greedy and basically without saying it, implying the other small market owners are stupid for agreeing with the CBA. He wants the team to stay here BUT then says the team can't make money here....who's gonna keep the team here that he sells it to?

UGH.

Good Post! Golisano can buy this team...he is worth 1.2 billion or so. In comparison, Ford Sr. (who owns the Lions) is only worth 1.0 billion. Trust me, we are not the only small market looking for creative ways to keep it going. The problem, as I see it, is that Ralph Wilson just isn't that creative.

Dozerdog
04-08-2006, 11:52 AM
:rofl: at the Al Davis is a "Good small revenue owner" comparison.

Talk about a guy who has whored out his franchise to the highest bidders and moved at a whim. He's the last guy I want looking out for his fans.

All he does is move to a city and then rapes them for whatever they have. He's sued the NFL, the LA Coluseum, and threatens Oakland officials all the time.

In 2004, the Raiders stadium was in the middle of a rebuild, so tens of thousands of seats were not available for sale

Nighthawk
04-08-2006, 11:56 AM
:rofl: at the Al Davis is a "Good small revenue owner" comparison.

Talk about a guy who has whored out his franchise to the highest bidders and moved at a whim. He's the last guy I want looking out for his fans.

All he does is move to a city and then rapes them for whatever they have. He's sued the NFL, the LA Coluseum, and threatens Oakland officials all the time.

In 2004, the Raiders stadium was in the middle of a rebuild, so tens of thousands of seats were not available for sale

Now, that may be true, but he did make some good points in his post. I truly believe that most Buffalonians (spelling?) just don't give themselves enough credit. I find it very tough to believe that this community would let the Bills get away. Why? Because they are practically our biggest asset...and communities don't let their biggest assets escape. If and maybe, when the day comes that the community needs to stand up, I believe that Buffalo will...there would be just too much to lose if we didn't. IMO

The_Philster
04-08-2006, 11:58 AM
Now, that may be true, but he did make some good points in his post. I truly believe that most Buffalonians (spelling?) just don't give themselves enough credit. I find it very tough to believe that this community would let the Bills get away. Why? Because they are practically our biggest asset...and communities don't let their biggest assets escape. If and maybe, when the day comes that the community needs to stand up, I believe that Buffalo will...there would be just too much to lose if we didn't. IMO
How would we do it, though?

YardRat
04-08-2006, 12:04 PM

Feel free to insert Cleveland where ever Buffalo appears in the above post.

Mr. Pink
04-08-2006, 12:09 PM
<!--StartFragment -->Fact is fact, The Raiders had the LOWEST operating income in 04 and the LOWEST valued NFL franchise...wanna know who was 3rd lowest in operating income in 04? The Seattle Seahawks. They made 14.4 million dollars. Hell the NY Jets only made 12 million dollars in 04. Colts made 16.4. The Eagles, who lost the SB in 04 made a WHOPPING 24.5 million dollars, they had playoff revenue figured in with that, and STILL made 12 million dollars less than the Buffalo Bills. But yeah, Ralph doesn't/can't make money here.

If you'd rather not face facts and be under this illusion to feel sorry for poor ralph and him owning a NFL franchise, then fine. I'm sorry but I can't feel sorry for someone who made 36.1 in income. By the way that was 14th in the league in revenue....which is the TOP half of the league, obviously.

And you summed it up succintly, Al Davis has sued the NFL and given many problems to the NFL on PLENTY of things, yet the CBA is fine by him. Uh huh.

Mr. Pink
04-08-2006, 12:10 PM
http://www.forbes.com/lists/2005/30/Income_1.html

BTW there's the link

ICE74129
04-08-2006, 12:13 PM
<!--StartFragment -->Fact is fact, The Raiders had the LOWEST operating income in 04 and the LOWEST valued NFL franchise...wanna know who was 3rd lowest in operating income in 04? The Seattle Seahawks. They made 14.4 million dollars. Hell the NY Jets only made 12 million dollars in 04. Colts made 16.4. The Eagles, who lost the SB in 04 made a WHOPPING 24.5 million dollars, they had playoff revenue figured in with that, and STILL made 12 million dollars less than the Buffalo Bills. But yeah, Ralph doesn't/can't make money here.

If you'd rather not face facts and be under this illusion to feel sorry for poor ralph and him owning a NFL franchise, then fine. I'm sorry but I can't feel sorry for someone who made 36.1 in income. By the way that was 14th in the league in revenue....which is the TOP half of the league, obviously.

And you summed it up succintly, Al Davis has sued the NFL and given many problems to the NFL on PLENTY of things, yet the CBA is fine by him. Uh huh.

FTY you and I and a few others know Ralph is full of SH@!. Not only that its past time for him to go.

The_Philster
04-08-2006, 12:15 PM
FTY you and I and a few others know Ralph is full of SH@!. Not only that its past time for him to go.
You got a copy of the CBA to share if you know that Ralph doesn't know what he's talking about...or are you basing this purely on PFT?

Mr. Pink
04-08-2006, 12:20 PM
You got a copy of the CBA to share if you know that Ralph doesn't know what he's talking about...or are you basing this purely on PFT?

Talking based on other owners I specified above....Arizona-new stadium being built, horrible market, horrible fanbase.....Indy makes next to nothing....Oak made the lowest amount and has the biggest owner to complain on anything....Minnesota was just sold to a new owner in a small market....None of these people complained about the CBA.

Oh yeah the better part...the other team to vote NO against the CBA, the bungles and Brown...yeah they had 45.6 in operating income. Which was 5th in 2004.

The_Philster
04-08-2006, 12:22 PM
Maybe Mike Brown was doing the right thing for the small market owners instead of agreeing with Jones and Snyder out of fear

ICE74129
04-08-2006, 12:23 PM

It's based on facts. One of which Ralph himself said he doesn't understand it. Secondly it is being reported the CBA hasn't in full been worked out yet. Third there is no way they can keep a new owner from getting his part of the shared revenue.

Ralph just doesn't LIKE IT, there is the real issue. This whole thing is about him not liking the fact the NFL isn't what it used to be. The flat out told us that in his first 10 minutes of yesterdays rant about Jones, Snyder, Steinbrenner blah blah blah.

Ralph is wrong, shortly since he called public attention to it, I can expect the NFL to fire back and prove him wrong. When they do, how does ralph look then?

And some of you wonder why this guy isn't in the HOF?

YardRat
04-08-2006, 12:33 PM
Ralph Wilson started a team from scratch. Ralph Wilson started a league from scratch. Ralph Wilson helped negotiate a merger between two leagues. Ralph Wilson helped the marraige of professional football and TV consummate, grow, and prosper. Ralph Wilson saw the league through a player strike.

No other owner mentioned above can say any of these things, except for Al Davis, and Ralph had to bail out Oakland's ass in the 60's by taking money out of his own pocket so the franchise didn't go belly-up.

Ralph knows the NFL, how it was created and grew, how it has been maintained and allowed to prosper, better than anybody else at this point. You don't get to be old and rich by being careless and foolish.

Mr. Pink
04-08-2006, 12:52 PM
Ralph Wilson started a team from scratch. Ralph Wilson started a league from scratch. Ralph Wilson helped negotiate a merger between two leagues. Ralph Wilson helped the marraige of professional football and TV consummate, grow, and prosper. Ralph Wilson saw the league through a player strike.

No other owner mentioned above can say any of these things, except for Al Davis.

And William Ford Lions owner since 64, Bill Bidwell and fam who bought the Cardinals in 1932, The Mara family whom Wellington until his death owned since 1925, The Rooneys' who've owned the Steelers since 1933, The Bears owned by the McCaskey family since 1920, Kenneth Adams who's owned the Titans/Oilers since 1959-same as Ralph, and the Chiefs owned since 1960 by the Hunt family. So there is PLENTY of other owners to give credit to here, not just Ralph. Adams and Hunt were just as instrumental in the merger....Wellington Mara is who originally went with revenue sharing.....The Rooneys' who've kept the Steelers in Pittsburgh since 1933 and they COMPLETELY sucked for years.

So, don't try to sell the rest of the league short and importance of other people in the history of this league that are still around now.

ICE74129
04-08-2006, 01:00 PM
And William Ford Lions owner since 64, Bill Bidwell and fam who bought the Cardinals in 1932, The Mara family whom Wellington until his death owned since 1925, The Rooneys' who've owned the Steelers since 1933, The Bears owned by the McCaskey family since 1920, Kenneth Adams who's owned the Titans/Oilers since 1959-same as Ralph, and the Chiefs owned since 1960 by the Hunt family. So there is PLENTY of other owners to give credit to here, not just Ralph. Adams and Hunt were just as instrumental in the merger....Wellington Mara is who originally went with revenue sharing.....The Rooneys' who've kept the Steelers in Pittsburgh since 1933 and they COMPLETELY sucked for years.

So, don't try to sell the rest of the league short and importance of other people in the history of this league that are still around now.

THANK YOU! I couldn't believe when I read 'Ralph Wilson started a league from scratch'. WTF?