• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill Brasky
    Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
    • Jan 2004

Why the Bills "moving" makes no sense

Not to bash New Orleans, but why are the Bills primo real estate to be moved? I understand the assumptions that a new owner might have given the economic state of WNY, but it's not like the team is suffering eventhough the economics of the region are terrible.

New Orleans has virtually no city left, no economy to garner "business deals/endorsments", and a good majority of the people that once called it home probably will never return for several reasons. The stadium is a mess, eventhough partly rebuilt, and the state/city has no funds to consider building a new one. Their owner tried to move them, and they've been trying to flea town for years so it's appearant he doesn't even want to be there regardless of what he might say publically.

Jacksonville can't sell out a stadium with one of the lowest seating capacities in the league and is smack dab in the middle of a region with 4 football teams (ATL, MIA, TB, JAX) and 5 if you want to even consider CAR, or even 6 counting NO. Not to mention it's metro area is SMALLER than Buffalo's, and they had a hard time filling the stadium when it hosted the Super Bowl.

The Chargers play in one of the biggest cities in the entire country yet cannot sell out home games or gain fan interest, what makes anybody think that LA, an hour and a half north will be any different. They lost 2 high profile franchises, what would make anybody there care about a franchise like Buffalo (I'm going based on nationwide assumptions associated with the Bills, not facts on this one).

Yet, a city with a solid fan base surrounded by a couple decent-sized metro areas and an owner/org that is committed to keeping the team in the area is automatically the team to move just because the "economy" is bad and the senile owner is throwing a hissy fit over chump change in a multi-million dollar economy.

I guess I am not completely sold on the fact that this team will be relocated. I think any new owner, or the NFL for that matter, would be hard pressed in justifying the relocation of this team.
  • slakjaw157
    • Oct 2003

Re: Why the Bills "moving" makes no sense

Good points. I hope you are right.

I am Gunnery Sergeant Hartman, your senior drill instructor. From now on you will speak only when spoken to, and the first and last words out of your filthy sewers will be sir. Do you maggots understand that?

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

Individual, or even season ticket, sales don't mean as much as luxury box revenue and corporate sponsorships. Who cares if your 5000 seats short of a sell-out if you've got a dozen more luxury suites that you can charge twice as much for in Jax or San Diego than Buffalo? Ticket revenues are split, luxury suites aren't.

New Orleans won't move now simply because of the bad PR it would create.

Buffalo doesn't have the resources to draw the big corporate bucks from, and the NFL is more about big business than the fans at this point.
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
        • Apr 2005

good post, the thing i dont get is how Arizona has lasted so long. They have a long history of losing, they draw less fans than most Texas High school games, they dont have a large fan base, they have a owner who doesnt seem to really give a crap, yet they are getting a new stadium...whats up with that....

Comment

• billsaretrash
          • Dec 2005

hes nasty21 why u stop posting in the thread that we fins wont make playoffs in finheaven

Comment

• Dozerdog
            In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by billsaretrash
            hes nasty21 why u stop posting in the thread that we fins wont make playoffs in finheaven

Is this guy for real?

He types like he's had a severe head injury in the past.

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by billsaretrash
              Thats someone else with a similar name. I heard about that on this board when someone from Finhaven wrote a thread about it...wasnt me...

Comment

• Devin
                The Octagon
                • Apr 2003

Originally posted by jfreeman
                New Orleans has virtually no city left, no economy to garner "business deals/endorsments", and a good majority of the people that once called it home probably will never return for several reasons. The stadium is a mess, eventhough partly rebuilt, and the state/city has no funds to consider building a new one. Their owner tried to move them, and they've been trying to flea town for years so it's appearant he doesn't even want to be there regardless of what he might say publically.

I guess I am not completely sold on the fact that this team will be relocated. I think any new owner, or the NFL for that matter, would be hard pressed in justifying the relocation of this team.
                Its now speculated here that the Superdome will be ready to play in as early as September. Along with a few extra improvements that were going to be made anyway. The Saints also have a brand new state of the art training facility/HQ in Metarie thats been open for awhile now. The Saints are also in the middle of a ten year, 186 Million dollar contract with the state of Louisiana that runs through the 2010 season.

I dont know if you have been to N.O. as of late, but the city is pretty much back to business as usual for the most part anyway.

The state of Louisiana is pouring money into the team when they shouldnt be, but push comes to shove I dont see them moving. The general vibe here is the state is not giving Benson a reason....as well as the whole PR aspect of it. As I said in another thread dont count on the Saints moving.
                http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• Devin
                  The Octagon
                  • Apr 2003

Besides it makes no difference the fan base, RW argument isnt the lack of fans or fan support.

RW believe his team cannot stay competitive under the new CBA. Truth be told if he desires to move this team there isnt much anyone can do.
                  http://gridironjunkies.net/forums/index.php

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Devin
                    Besides it makes no difference the fan base, RW argument isnt the lack of fans or fan support.

RW believe his team cannot stay competitive under the new CBA. Truth be told if he desires to move this team there isnt much anyone can do.
                    I can kick him in the nuts, and if he moves the team I probably will.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• STAMPY
                      Hall of Fame Zoner
                      • Sep 2003

Stop crying. The teams not moving. Jeez. Countless *****fests daily

Comment

• SABURZFAN
                        short bus extraordinaire
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Dozerdog
                        Is this guy for real?

He types like he's had a severe head injury in the past.

i bet it was from marino's last game too.

63-7....wasn't it?
                        Originally posted by yordad
                        Christ, you are the queerest person in the history of Bills fanhood. I swear to god I would stomp you.

Comment

• billsaretrash
                          • Dec 2005

yea but it wasnt the bills did u even make the playoffs that year

Comment

• alohabillsfan
                            • Sep 2003

Originally posted by jfreeman
                            Not to bash New Orleans, but why are the Bills primo real estate to be moved? I understand the assumptions that a new owner might have given the economic state of WNY, but it's not like the team is suffering eventhough the economics of the region are terrible.

Jacksonville can't sell out a stadium with one of the lowest seating capacities in the league and is smack dab in the middle of a region with 4 football teams (ATL, MIA, TB, JAX) and 5 if you want to even consider CAR, or even 6 counting NO. Not to mention it's metro area is SMALLER than Buffalo's, and they had a hard time filling the stadium when it hosted the Super Bowl.

The Chargers play in one of the biggest cities in the entire country yet cannot sell out home games or gain fan interest, what makes anybody think that LA, an hour and a half north will be any different. They lost 2 high profile franchises, what would make anybody there care about a franchise like Buffalo (I'm going based on nationwide assumptions associated with the Bills, not facts on this one).

Yet, a city with a solid fan base surrounded by a couple decent-sized metro areas and an owner/org that is committed to keeping the team in the area is automatically the team to move just because the "economy" is bad and the senile owner is throwing a hissy fit over chump change in a multi-million dollar economy.

Where did you get the information on Jacksonville having trouble selling out the Superbowl are you mad! Or did you just make that up? They do struggle to sell their own games even when they are winning.
                            As far as the location of Jacksonville with other teams ATL(346 MILES)/MIA(351 MILES)/CAR (383 MILES)/TB (228 MILES)/ NO (547 MILES), can't the same be made for Buffalo-PITT (219 MILES)/CLE (193 MILES)/CIN 421 MILES)/PHIL 403 MILES)

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                              • May 2003

I am starting to think that the NFL has outgrown Ralph. I don't think he knows exactly what is going on anymore. I think that he feels the new systems are set up to destroy the small teams and that nobody listens to him anymore. I think there is more to this that we don't know about. I think Ralph got a sweet deal from Erie County and if they did it once, they will do it again. It might be time for Ralph to put up a for sale sign in the front window and move on with the rest of his life.

Comment

Working...
                              X