X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mahdi
    • Mar 2004

Bunkley better suited for Buffalo than Ngata

Ive been seeing on this board that many people believe that we need a bigger DT next to Triplett since he is not over 300 pounds and we need a run stuffer type like Ngata in the draft. However, if we look at the other successful cover 2 defenses in the league we see that that is not the case.

Indianapolis: Starting DTs: Reagor (6'-3 285), Simon (6'-2 293)

Tampa Bay: Starting DTs: Chris Hovan (6'-2, 296) McFarland (6'-0, 300)

Chicago: Starting DTs: Ian Scott (6'-3, 302), Tommie Harris (6'-3, 300)
    Tank Johnson (6'-3, 300)

Not one starting DT for these Cover 2 teams is more than 2 or 3 pounds over 300 and that is because all of them need to be able to pursue down the LOS and into the backfield, not just one, which makes Brodrick Bunkley the natural fit for the Bills.
    He is listed as 6'-3, 306, and he ran the 40 at about 4'9 which is amazing for a man that big. Yes Ngata is quick for his size, but thats just it, he's only quick for his size which for the cover 2 is not quite quick enough. In light of these facts I hope the threads about B-lo trading down become reality since we can get Bunk a few spots later, such as 14 with Philly.

Just my 2 cents.
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: Bunkley better suited for Buffalo than Ngata

I wouldn't be upset with Bunkley but it doesn't make sense to draft a DT at #8, especially when he's part of a rotation. He'd be standing on the sidelines for 20-30 % of the D snaps. I can see DT depth into the 2nd-3rd round.

I guess we wait to see how the picks fall ahead of us. I still wouldn't rule out the Bills getting a phone call and trading down. Not a bad idea with the solid depth in this Draft.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• John Doe
      Florida Man
      • Jul 2002

When you trade down there is no guarantee that the player you want will be there. I see the Bills drafting a defensive tackle with their first pick - that is the one major hole that needs to be filled in the draft. If Bunkley is so good, then pick him at 8.

Comment

• venis2k1
        Youboty can hope
        • Jul 2002

it was very frustrating last year watching EVERYBODY run all over the bills.

Comment

• Mahdi
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by venis2k1
          it was very frustrating last year watching EVERYBODY run all over the bills.
          Well the three teams mentinoned in my post were all in the top 11 on defense. Tampa and Chicago were 1 and 2 with Indy at 11.

Comment

• Tatonka
            • Jul 2002

corey simon is listed at 293? is that a joke?

his left ass cheek weighs 190.
            "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• TigerJ
              • Jul 2002

Bunkley is big enough, but I think Ngata is quick enough too, not for the 3 technique spot, but for the 0 technique position, lining up on the center.
              I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

Working...
              X