X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The_Philster
    • Jul 2002

Gibson Glad to Have Second Chance

"He's the top tackle on a lot of teams' boards. He's got 36 inch arms, the largest arms of anyone coming out of the draft and that's something everyone looks at when assessing tackles. He'll be able to get movement on defensive linemen. Your one worry is that this guy might play his entire career pushing 400 pounds, and a lot of people think that will shorten his career. But if you can get him playing at around 370, he's a fine tackle with Jonathan Ogden potential."
    Those were the words of NFL.com analyst and former NFL personnel man Pat Kirwan as he gave his take on Aaron Gibson a week before the 1999 NFL Draft. more
    The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!
  • Tatonka
    • Jul 2002

Re: Gibson Glad to Have Second Chance

i know what the coaching staff has said.. but honestly.. if gibson plays very well, then i could definately see them moving Peters to LT after they lock him up long term and moving gibson to RT..

honestly.. gibson is really intriguing, because i kind of feel like there is hope to kind of regain some of the wasted talent we let walk out the door with mike williams..

i know it might be a long shot, but this guy was a first round pick and there was a reason for that.. there is no reason that he cant be a great player... it is all up to him and our coaches.

i think he could be a great addition. I have hope for him.. which would just be awesome, because we could just focus on getting a top guard or two from the draft and our Oline would not look bad..

Peters
    Spencer or another top rookie guard from 2nd round
    Fowler
    Villareal
    Gibson

if all play to their potential.. who would complain.
    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• DraftBoy
      Administrator
      • Jul 2002

well said T
      COMING SOON...
      Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
      We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
        My battery is low and it's getting dark.
        • Apr 2004

I think he will end up being a decent back-up for us behind Peters. Perhaps that could change and I hope that he does force himself into a starting role based on excellent performance.
        I've got some hope that Geisinger or Preston will be ready soon as well. That would be great, especially if we can get Joseph or Spencer and they contribute right away.
        Something has to bounce our way soon...law of averages says we are due.

Comment

• ICE74129
          Legendary Zoner
          • Feb 2005

I like Gibson a lot. I hope after he told his last team 'Starter or else' then 'or else' happened (spending a year out of football) he got the hint. I'd like to see this kid about 355 or so instead of 370lbs. If he could do that then I think he will have shown the mental discipline to be a possible starter for us.

Gibson had talent, it was heart, work ethic and discipline he lacked.

Comment

• Billzz
            • Sep 2003

So what makes him any different then MW? Double standard he just happens to be on our team now.

Comment

• ICE74129
              Legendary Zoner
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Billzz
              So what makes him any different then MW? Double standard he just happens to be on our team now.
              Well a 10 mill SB for one. Millions per year on our cap vs possibly league minimum? I can go on...

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                • May 2003

Hopefully the year out of football will give him a new perspective and this is a major find by Marv.

Comment

• Tatonka
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Billzz
                  i think the difference is clear.. mike williams was being paid 9 million a year.. if he would have accepted the vet minimum, i would LOVE to have him back, but that is obviously not what happened..

gibson costs us next to nothing.. so he is worth every bit of the risk, which is so minimal, compaired to the huge huge upside he offers.
                  "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Tatonka
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
                    Hopefully the year out of football will give him a new perspective and this is a major find by Marv.
                    exactly.. that is exactly what i hope.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                      Peterman Sucks!
                      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Tatonka
                      exactly.. that is exactly what i hope.

Sometimes a change of scenery and a big slap in the face is all it takes for you as a person to realize that you're wrong and expendable. Hopefully this is what Gibson realizes as he comes here to camp.

This guy could very possibly be our best o-lineman if he shows up with the proper attitude and in shape. He has the physical tools and skills to be a dominant tackle. Which is why he was selected so high in the 1999 draft.

This is one of those "risk vs reward" scenarios that I've gone through with other examples of players to bring in, either via draft or via FA. If he pans out to his ability, Marv looks like a hero. If he doesn't pan out, well we didn't really expect him to so no big deal. Very little risk involved with bringing him in and low expectations.

Comment

• YardRat
                        Well, lookie here...
                        • Dec 2004

I'm really rooting for the guy...he could be the best pick-up off the off season.
                        YardRat Wall of Fame
                        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Tatonka
                          • Jul 2002

Comment

• DraftBoy
                            Administrator
                            • Jul 2002

COMING SOON...
                            Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                            We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• Kerr
                              Hall of Fame Zoner
                              • Feb 2005

hopefully he works his ass off and gets better.

Comment

Working...
                              X