PDA

View Full Version : Gibson Glad to Have Second Chance

The_Philster
04-09-2006, 08:29 AM
"He's the top tackle on a lot of teams' boards. He's got 36 inch arms, the largest arms of anyone coming out of the draft and that's something everyone looks at when assessing tackles. He'll be able to get movement on defensive linemen. Your one worry is that this guy might play his entire career pushing 400 pounds, and a lot of people think that will shorten his career. But if you can get him playing at around 370, he's a fine tackle with Jonathan Ogden potential."
Those were the words of NFL.com analyst and former NFL personnel man Pat Kirwan as he gave his take on Aaron Gibson a week before the 1999 NFL Draft. more (http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=3705)

Tatonka
04-09-2006, 09:15 AM
i know what the coaching staff has said.. but honestly.. if gibson plays very well, then i could definately see them moving Peters to LT after they lock him up long term and moving gibson to RT..

honestly.. gibson is really intriguing, because i kind of feel like there is hope to kind of regain some of the wasted talent we let walk out the door with mike williams..

i know it might be a long shot, but this guy was a first round pick and there was a reason for that.. there is no reason that he cant be a great player... it is all up to him and our coaches.

i think he could be a great addition. I have hope for him.. which would just be awesome, because we could just focus on getting a top guard or two from the draft and our Oline would not look bad..

Peters
Spencer or another top rookie guard from 2nd round
Fowler
Villareal
Gibson

if all play to their potential.. who would complain.

DraftBoy
04-09-2006, 09:29 AM
well said T

ParanoidAndroid
04-09-2006, 09:46 AM
I think he will end up being a decent back-up for us behind Peters. Perhaps that could change and I hope that he does force himself into a starting role based on excellent performance.
I've got some hope that Geisinger or Preston will be ready soon as well. That would be great, especially if we can get Joseph or Spencer and they contribute right away.
Something has to bounce our way soon...law of averages says we are due.

ICE74129
04-09-2006, 09:48 AM
I like Gibson a lot. I hope after he told his last team 'Starter or else' then 'or else' happened (spending a year out of football) he got the hint. I'd like to see this kid about 355 or so instead of 370lbs. If he could do that then I think he will have shown the mental discipline to be a possible starter for us.

Gibson had talent, it was heart, work ethic and discipline he lacked.

Billzz
04-09-2006, 09:55 AM
So what makes him any different then MW? Double standard he just happens to be on our team now.

ICE74129
04-09-2006, 09:58 AM
So what makes him any different then MW? Double standard he just happens to be on our team now.

Well a 10 mill SB for one. Millions per year on our cap vs possibly league minimum? I can go on...

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-09-2006, 09:59 AM
Hopefully the year out of football will give him a new perspective and this is a major find by Marv.

Tatonka
04-09-2006, 10:34 AM

i think the difference is clear.. mike williams was being paid 9 million a year.. if he would have accepted the vet minimum, i would LOVE to have him back, but that is obviously not what happened..

gibson costs us next to nothing.. so he is worth every bit of the risk, which is so minimal, compaired to the huge huge upside he offers.

Tatonka
04-09-2006, 10:36 AM
Hopefully the year out of football will give him a new perspective and this is a major find by Marv.

exactly.. that is exactly what i hope.

Mr. Pink
04-09-2006, 10:45 AM
exactly.. that is exactly what i hope.

Sometimes a change of scenery and a big slap in the face is all it takes for you as a person to realize that you're wrong and expendable. Hopefully this is what Gibson realizes as he comes here to camp.

This guy could very possibly be our best o-lineman if he shows up with the proper attitude and in shape. He has the physical tools and skills to be a dominant tackle. Which is why he was selected so high in the 1999 draft.

This is one of those "risk vs reward" scenarios that I've gone through with other examples of players to bring in, either via draft or via FA. If he pans out to his ability, Marv looks like a hero. If he doesn't pan out, well we didn't really expect him to so no big deal. Very little risk involved with bringing him in and low expectations.

YardRat
04-09-2006, 11:00 AM
I'm really rooting for the guy...he could be the best pick-up off the off season.

Tatonka
04-09-2006, 11:02 AM
:band:

DraftBoy
04-09-2006, 11:12 AM
:dance:

Kerr
04-09-2006, 11:13 AM
hopefully he works his ass off and gets better.

Tatonka
04-09-2006, 11:16 AM
i can attest, having a young son.. when a child is born.. it changes alot of priorities and motivations..

the fact that he mentioned his young daughter a few different times in the articles i have read.. i like that.. maybe that is one of the things that motivates him to work his ass off.. at the 27th pick in the first round 6 years ago, there is definately no guarentee that he has loads of money left.. it goes quick.. he literally could be playing for he and his daughters futures..

i like that kind of fire under someones ass.

Night Train
04-09-2006, 11:19 AM
hopefully he works his ass off and gets better.

All seven of them.

Kerr
04-09-2006, 11:24 AM
All seven of them.

:lol:

Don't Panic
04-09-2006, 11:51 AM
Sometimes a change of scenery and a big slap in the face is all it takes for you as a person to realize that you're wrong and expendable. Hopefully this is what Gibson realizes as he comes here to camp.

This guy could very possibly be our best o-lineman if he shows up with the proper attitude and in shape. He has the physical tools and skills to be a dominant tackle. Which is why he was selected so high in the 1999 draft.

This is one of those "risk vs reward" scenarios that I've gone through with other examples of players to bring in, either via draft or via FA. If he pans out to his ability, Marv looks like a hero. If he doesn't pan out, well we didn't really expect him to so no big deal. Very little risk involved with bringing him in and low expectations.

Gibson panning out would be a great neutralizer to the MW fiasco, and you're absolutely right about the risk/reward point. I think the bottom line is that it's time for McNally to start to live up to his reputation as one of the best O Line coaches in the league. I'm still concerned about Peters as the LT, though. That's putting a lot of pressure on the kid. Not saying he can't respond, just pointing out that this is in fact a gamble.

Billsrock4life
04-09-2006, 11:52 AM
I'm really rooting for the guy...he could be the best pick-up off the off season.

same here he would definelty help the OL out alot

Night Train
04-09-2006, 11:58 AM
If they can pull the shovel out of his mouth long enough, he may actually be a help at Guard more so than Tackle.

Gandy and Peters have the footwork and quickness to be decent at OT. Gibson could be a huge help inside, where our needs seem to be greater.

He's still a longshot.

Tatonka
04-09-2006, 01:03 PM
i dont think he is a longshot to make the team.. i am willing to be he will make the team.. i am just wondering if he will start..

deathadder
04-09-2006, 03:16 PM
Hey, you guys know who was the guard on Jauron's line in 2003? Was it Gandy? Maybe they are trying to make the Bears line of 2003 with Gibson as Tackle and Gandy as Guard.

ICE74129
04-09-2006, 03:24 PM
http://www.jt-sw.com/football/pro/rosters.nsf/Annual/2003-chi

Seems to me DJ asked for Gibson to be brought in. Man I hope this kid has his crap together. Peters would be moved to LT.

Can you see this line...

Peters, Gandy, Fowler, Villarial, Gibson. IF Gibson is in good shape and has truly learned from his time off, That could be a damn solid line.

jmb1099
04-09-2006, 05:24 PM
I can see the potential, lets hope it comes to fruition

TigerJ
04-09-2006, 05:32 PM
Gibson, at the very least gives the Bills some options they didn't have before his signing. I think the offensive line picture is starting to look much more optimistic. A good lineman or two in the draft will be all we need to turn the line in ato a strength.

Tatonka
04-09-2006, 06:26 PM
hey ice... are you serious about having gandy at guard? would you really feel good with that?

IF we had to build a line out of the 5 guys you listed, i would actually prefer to have gandy stay at LT and peters at RT and put gibson at LG.. for a couple reasons.. continuity and because i think gandy is not bad at tackle.. and would be much worse at guard as he has shown before.. were as gibson is going to be less of a drop of (obviously this is if he panned out) going from tackle to guard.

personally i would want the most meat in the middle.

Kerr
04-09-2006, 06:42 PM
hey ice... are you serious about having gandy at guard? would you really feel good with that?

IF we had to build a line out of the 5 guys you listed, i would actually prefer to have gandy stay at LT and peters at RT and put gibson at LG.. for a couple reasons.. continuity and because i think gandy is not bad at tackle.. and would be much worse at guard as he has shown before.. were as gibson is going to be less of a drop of (obviously this is if he panned out) going from tackle to guard.

Agreed.

patmoran2006
04-09-2006, 07:07 PM
If it means we dont waste the 8th pick on Winston Justice, I'm glad Gibson is a Bill.

ICE74129
04-09-2006, 08:09 PM

Gibson is a tackle, has played there most all of his career. Chicago 03, Guards were Gandy and Villarial and the RT was Gibson. They would be familliar with each other. Plus you want the most athletic lineman (Peters) at LT.

Yes if McNally has that lineup at the start of camp I will feel comfortable with it.

ICE74129
04-09-2006, 08:10 PM
If it means we dont waste the 8th pick on Winston Justice, I'm glad Gibson is a Bill. The 8th on a guy that can anchor your line isn't a waste.

patmoran2006
04-09-2006, 08:45 PM
Winston Justice isnt a waste.. taking a Tackle at #8 when you have FIVE of them on your roster already is.
Peters, Gandy, McFarland, Jerman and now Gibson.

I dont need to be a secret insider in their war room to know that they're not drafting an OT with their first draft pick.

patmoran2006
04-09-2006, 08:47 PM
Matter of fact, I think tackle is one of the FEW spots on this team that isn't a weakness: along with RB, LB and CB.

Peters IMO is going to be a stud (they better freeking lock him up soon) and Gandy IMO is better than given credit for.. Plus they got Gibson in the mix and McFarland has looked real good in Europe, quality depth.

Tatonka
04-09-2006, 10:06 PM
Gibson is a tackle, has played there most all of his career. Chicago 03, Guards were Gandy and Villarial and the RT was Gibson. They would be familliar with each other. Plus you want the most athletic lineman (Peters) at LT.

Yes if McNally has that lineup at the start of camp I will feel comfortable with it.

gibson has played guard before, and stated in todays article that he doesnt care where he plays.

gandy was not good at guard.. and that is all we know. he was much better at LT than he was at guard.

i am not saying your option is absurd.. i was simply stating that, to me.. it makes more sense to have your meat on the inside.. honestly.. gandy and gibson are both tackles.. but gandy has shown he isnt a good guard. gibson hasnt.

just my 2 cents.

patmoran2006
04-09-2006, 10:11 PM
Gibson is a project who may or may not work out..

The only thing that having him signed leads me to believe, at this time, is that our first draft pick will not be an offensive tackle as we now have 5 of them on our roster.

LifetimeBillsFan
04-10-2006, 02:40 AM
The key with Gibson has always been and will be his weight. He's 370-371 lbs. now, which is about the lowest that his weight has been as a pro. He can be a contributor at that weight, but it might be a stretch for him to be more than a quality back-up/mediocre starter at that weight.

Gibson was at his best when he played at 350-355 lbs. when he was at Wisconsin (you saw what was said about him then in the article). If he can get down around that weight, maybe 360 lbs (which shouldn't be that hard given his current weight--because it would come with getting in better condition), he would give the Bills a lot of options.

If he's in shape, he can be a devastating blocker at RT (he opened a lot of holes for Ron Dayne at that position), but that would entail moving both Peters and Gandy. Given how much McNally talks about the need for continuity in the offensive line, I doubt that the Bills would want to have that many guys changing to new positions. Which leads me to believe that either they would use Gibson as a back-up OT this year or, if he shows that he is good enough to start, at LG. If he's in shape, Gibson might be able to do what B.Anderson was supposed to do last season--help the Bills' center handle the big nose tackles and DTs that have been able to collapse the pocket and put a lot of pressure on the Bills QBs over the last four seasons. I'm really rooting for Gibson and hope that he can regain the form that he had when he was in college.

The biggest difference between Gibson and M.Williams IMHO is the year off away from football and the money that he was getting paid to play. That can be a real motivator for some guys and, if Gibson is motivated to keep his weight down, that will give him a big edge over M.Williams, whose statements when he signed with Jax indicate that he still thinks that the only thing wrong with his play in Buffalo were the injuries he had.

I still want to see how motivated Gibson is and whether he can keep the weight off before making any predictions about how much, if anything, he will be able to contribute to the Bill, but, if he truly is motivated, Gibson does have the potential to be another D.Shelton--who has been very solid for the Bills since coming back after a year away from the game.

EDS
04-10-2006, 07:41 AM
i dont think he is a longshot to make the team.. i am willing to be he will make the team.. i am just wondering if he will start..

Don't get your hopes up too much - this guy has eaten his way out of the league once so until he proves something he is just another guy with wasted talent. Obviously at the league minimum it is worth the risk.

THATHURMANATOR
04-10-2006, 07:50 AM
About 10 million dollars

SABURZFAN
04-10-2006, 07:59 AM
i'd love to starve this guy for a day and then send him into a buffet.it would be the greatest thing since Godzilla invaded Tokyo. :up:

Jeff1220
04-10-2006, 08:59 AM
I always try to be optimistic, but this sounds a lot like the Kris Farris experiment. :scared:

Michael82
04-10-2006, 10:16 AM
i'd love to starve this guy for a day and then send him into a buffet.it would be the greatest thing since Godzilla invaded Tokyo. :up:
:lmao:

Tatonka
04-10-2006, 10:51 AM
gibson has more talent in his right ass cheek than farris ever had though.

ublinkwescore
04-10-2006, 11:14 AM
Winston Justice isnt a waste.. taking a Tackle at #8 when you have FIVE of them on your roster already is.
Peters, Gandy, McFarland, Jerman and now Gibson.

I dont need to be a secret insider in their war room to know that they're not drafting an OT with their first draft pick.

Repeat after me... BRODERICK BUNKLEY!!

ublinkwescore
04-10-2006, 11:15 AM
Just out of curiosity, has it been stated what his weight is now?