• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Some interesting comments

I found these interesting, just thought I'd share...

The problem is a Cold New Breed of big-market, huge-egoed owners like Washington's Dan Snyder and Dallas' Jerry Jones, who can't control their Inner Capitalist. They either don't understand or don't care about the all-for-one concept that built the league into a mega-monolith.

The situation is worse than folks thought. Bills officials say that if the 87-year-old owner passes on and the team is sold, a new owner wouldn't get any slice of the booty from big-market teams like Dallas and Washington. It would all but doom the Bills in Buffalo - particularly with the coveted Los Angeles market still NFL-less.
    The league grows further away from the philosophy that made it great.
    One by one, richer owners broke ranks to go for more of the gold. Dallas' Jones was the first to exploit the loophole of unshared revenue from luxury boxes. The me-first principle prompted a glut of new stadiums filled with luxury seats (or hefty upgrades of old ballparks) that cost taxpayers in NFL cities billions of dollars.
    The rich got richer, and they don't want to share their excess with their (relatively) poorer brethren. It threatens the competitive balance that turned the NFL into a money-printing machine.

Wilson also is worried about the impact from a fundamental change in the way the salary cap is calculated. The new labor deal counts all football revenue in calculating the salary cap, rather than excluding certain revenue such as naming rights and sponsorship money as the previous system did. He estimated that the new stadium for the New York Jets and the New York Giants will bring in so much additional revenue for those teams that it will drive up the salary cap for the Bills and all NFL teams by $2.3 million a year.
    "Every new stadium costs the Buffalo Bills money," said Wilson, one of two owners to vote against the new labor deal. "The teams that have built these new stadiums where they can charge very high prices for suites and club seats and regular seats have thrown things out of balance."
    Excellent article by Esmonde, and a point that's been thumped since Ralph first opened up during the CBA vote...the new guys are going to be the ruin of the league unless Wilson can garner enough support from the old guard to keep the changes in revenue-sharing from being made.
    Don't tell me Ralph is a senile businessman that's been passed by the times...the man has more business acumen and passion for the NFL in his little finger than Jones, Snyder, and Kraft have collectively in their entire bodies.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • ICE74129
    Legendary Zoner
    • Feb 2005

Re: Some interesting comments

I still want someone in the NFL or the press to show us in print where it says any new owner wouldn't be allowed revenue sharing. To me that would be more than reason for the feds to take a look at Collusion, Anti Trust law violations etc.

Comment

• YardRat
      Well, lookie here...
      • Dec 2004

Ralph's conclusions have probably come directly from conversations amongst the owners regarding the situation during their meetings to re-define revenue sharing.

Other owners have attended the meetings...Why haven't they come out and disputed what Ralph has said? Why aren't Jones, Kraft, and Snyder saying "Ralph is wrong" or "Ralph doesn't understand"?
      YardRat Wall of Fame
      #56 DARRYL TALLEY
      #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• ICE74129
        Legendary Zoner
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by YardRat
        Ralph's conclusions have probably come directly from conversations amongst the owners regarding the situation during their meetings to re-define revenue sharing.

Other owners have attended the meetings...Why haven't they come out and disputed what Ralph has said? Why aren't Jones, Kraft, and Snyder saying "Ralph is wrong" or "Ralph doesn't understand"?
        More importantly, why hasn't anyone backed him? I don't see any owner saying 'Yeah ralph is right, he sells and the new owner is screwed'.

Comment

• The_Philster
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ICE74129
          More importantly, why hasn't anyone backed him? I don't see any owner saying 'Yeah ralph is right, he sells and the new owner is screwed'.
          maybe they're too afraid of the big boy owners like Snyder and Jones to say anything...or maybe they're still going over that stuff themselves and will be adding their support to him within the next few days
          The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• Ickybaluky
            • Jul 2003

Originally posted by YardRat
            The revenue sharing plan has already been decided. The only thing left undecided is the qualifiers that will be placed on teams drawing from the pool in the Supplemental Revenue Sharing plan.

Comment

Working...
            X