PDA

View Full Version : Q&A's on 1st round pick

Bling
04-09-2006, 08:48 PM
What Ranking did the Bills have for Defense in 2006?
The Bills had one of the worst Rush Defenses in the league. Most yards/game in the league last year.

How was the Bills pressure?
It also had one of the top DE's in the league
Aaron Schobel - 12 sacks

What Defense are the Bills changing to?
Cover 2... It's a Defense to basically help the Defense make up for its lack of secondary. It also calls on for speed players all around. I'd say the Bills are good so far there.

Why the change to Cover 2 rather than a 4-3 or 3-4 Defense?
Someone PLEASE tell me why.

So with all that said... do the Bills need more pressure DT, run stuffer DT or a Safety?
My first impression would be to go Safety all the way. You're going to need really good Safeties to have a Cover 2 Defense. Their job is to cover half the deep field. But if it came down to Bunkley or Ngata: which do you need? I'd say Ngata. Pure run stuffing. Your Defense right now lacks a pure run stuffer, and that's not to say Ngata is not a pass rusher. He can pass rush. Nothing like Bunkley, but I think Ngata is the way to go. JMO, of course. Discuss at a mature level, please.

Mr. Pink
04-09-2006, 08:58 PM
What Ranking did the Bills have for Defense in 2006?
The Bills had one of the worst Rush Defenses in the league. Most yards/game in the league last year.

No run stopping DT was the main reason teams could run all over the Bills in 05. Seeing this was half addressed via FA, I expect the second piece to be brought in via draft. Then again maybe Marv likes Grady Jackson or the like and doesn't want to sign him til after the draft to make people think we're leaning towards Bunkley or Ngata. Couple Takeos' injury and that's the reasoning for teams' running rough shod all over this team.

How was the Bills pressure?
It also had one of the top DE's in the league
Aaron Schobel - 12 sacks

They also have no DE on the other side of Schobel worth anything, another need that was not addressed via FA. Except for offering RFA Idonijie a contract that we all knew would be matched.

What Defense are the Bills changing to?
Cover 2... It's a Defense to basically help the Defense make up for its lack of secondary. It also calls on for speed players all around. I'd say the Bills are good so far there.

You need pressure from the front 4 to properly employ this defense, the one guy that consistently gives this pressure is Schobel. Ok, technically you don't need to apply pressure for this defense to work, as long as you can toughen up when teams get in scoring range. Teams rack up all kinds of yards against this. It's a typical bend but don't break defense. The DBs play off and allow short gains, but don't allow big gains. Then they toughen up in the red zone with the limited field to work with.

Why the change to Cover 2 rather than a 4-3 or 3-4 Defense?
Someone PLEASE tell me why.

This team with Takeo available to go from week 1 would make more sense being a 3-4 team with only one DT that has any worth on it.

So with all that said... do the Bills need more pressure DT, run stuffer DT or a Safety?
My first impression would be to go Safety all the way. You're going to need really good Safeties to have a Cover 2 Defense. Their job is to cover half the deep field. But if it came down to Bunkley or Ngata: which do you need? I'd say Ngata. Pure run stuffing. Your Defense right now lacks a pure run stuffer, and that's not to say Ngata is not a pass rusher. He can pass rush. Nothing like Bunkley, but I think Ngata is the way to go. JMO, of course. Discuss at a mature level, please.

Tough call between the run stuffing DT or Safety. Considering they have Vincent and Bowen-who has played the Cover 2 before. Personal feelings aside on me thinking Bowen is not the long term answer and an upgrade would be helpful. He is still better and more useful to this short term than Tim Anderson.

patmoran2006
04-09-2006, 09:06 PM
I dont think Bunkley is that much better than the next batch of Dt's available in round two...
I take V Davis if he's there.. If not.. I take Huff second, he can play anywhere in the secondary and is FAR BETTER in RUN SUPPORT than Vincent or Bowen..

Both gone, I take Bunkley.. any of the three are going to help.

DBrown77
04-09-2006, 09:34 PM
I dont think Bunkley is that much better than the next batch of Dt's available in round two...
I take V Davis if he's there.. If not.. I take Huff second, he can play anywhere in the secondary and is FAR BETTER in RUN SUPPORT than Vincent or Bowen..

Both gone, I take Bunkley.. any of the three are going to help.
I think its safe to say we all know you want Davis. Dont need to keep repeating the same post in every thread

Bling
04-10-2006, 05:12 PM
BUMP