Why do so many people think that the Bills leaving will destroy Buffalo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Why do so many people think that the Bills leaving will destroy Buffalo?

Now, don't get me wrong- I would be incredibly upset if the Bills left. However, I'm seeing a bunch of people talking about how the population would decrease, it would destroy the city's morale, it would hurt the economy even more, etc. I just don't get it.

Now, those of us who post here are huge football fans, so the people like us are bound to be disappointed (and "disappointed' is probably an understatement- the Bills moving would have a huge effect on me). But the jobs aren't leaving because of the Bills, and no one's being forced to move out of the city.

So, someone please explain to me why so many people seem to think the future of the city and the future of team are one and the same.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • TacklingDummy
    Unreachable Douche
    • Jul 2002

Re: Why do so many people think that the Bills leaving will destroy Buffalo?

The Bills will not be moving. Hillary Clinton will step in and make sure of it.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
      Now, don't get me wrong- I would be incredibly upset if the Bills left. However, I'm seeing a bunch of people talking about how the population would decrease, it would destroy the city's morale, it would hurt the economy even more, etc. I just don't get it.

Now, those of us who post here are huge football fans, so the people like us are bound to be disappointed (and "disappointed' is probably an understatement- the Bills moving would have a huge effect on me). But the jobs aren't leaving because of the Bills, and no one's being forced to move out of the city.

So, someone please explain to me why so many people seem to think the future of the city and the future of team are one and the same.
      Most people in Buffalo are big Bills fans. It won't destroy the city, but the morale will be crushed.

Comment

• Ebenezer
        Give me a minute...
        • Jul 2002

1. City low self esteem
        2. Not a lot keeping people here to begin with
        3. Economic impact - just how many dominos are in that line, nobody really knows
        4. Final nail in coffin for some.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by TacklingDummy
          The Bills will not be moving. Hillary Clinton will step in and make sure of it.
          she couldn't get Bill to keep his dick in his pants but she's going to keep 32 rich, greedy bastards from making an extra buck at Buffalo's expense? I doubt it.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Michael82
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ebenezer
            1. City low self esteem
            2. Not a lot keeping people here to begin with
            3. Economic impact - just how many dominos are in that line, nobody really knows
            4. Final nail in coffin for some.
            EXACTLY! And like you said, there are a TON of dominoes that would fall. Don't forget about all of the 73,000 people that come into Buffalo on game days and spend money. Or the ones that come to the Home Opener and stay for the whole weekend to have a big party there. That kind of money will disappear. And also the millions of dollars in taxes that the Bills pay. Or how about the money that the rich players and coaches spend in Buffalo while they live there or stay there? Or how about the hotels that hold the Bills and visitors during game days? There's a lot of money that will be lost IMO.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
              Unreachable Douche
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
              she couldn't get Bill to keep his dick in his pants but she's going to keep 32 rich, greedy bastards from making an extra buck at Buffalo's expense? I doubt it.
              Was a joke. Clinton has come to my area many times promising jobs but we are yet to see any. Where are they? I don't know.

Comment

• Bill Brasky
                Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
                • Jan 2004

Well, the way I see it, WNY is in the 12th round of a heavyweight fight... and the count is at 9.... once the Bills leave the count hits ten.

Game over.

Not to mention that the city is trying to rebuild. They've got a number of new constructions/projects slated to start this year or next...

Losing the Bills could be a catastrophic blow in terms of keeping morale up to keep these projects rolling.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                  • May 2003

I know this might sound stupid, but a couple of years ago (it might not have even been that long) my wife and I were in discussions on whether we wanted to move to Raleigh, NC. She had an opportunity to get a good job there. A job that might have afforded me to not having to work, I probably would have, but I didn't have to and still make a good living. The final decision we made was to stay here. Why? Because of the Buffalo Bills. I know what you are thinking and it is probably true. If they move I don't know if that will come into play, but who knows what can come up in the future.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                    Give me a minute...
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by TheGhostofJimKelly
                    I know this might sound stupid, but a couple of years ago (it might not have even been that long) my wife and I were in discussions on whether we wanted to move to Raleigh, NC. She had an opportunity to get a good job there. A job that might have afforded me to not having to work, I probably would have, but I didn't have to and still make a good living. The final decision we made was to stay here. Why? Because of the Buffalo Bills. I know what you are thinking and it is probably true. If they move I don't know if that will come into play, but who knows what can come up in the future.
                    as much as I love the Bills I could not stay here just for football...

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Mr. Cynical
                      Maybe?
                      • Oct 2003

Would people be in Green Bay if the Pack moved? The Bills may not be quite as critical to the city as that but damn close.

Comment

• TheGhostofJimKelly
                        • May 2003

Originally posted by Ebenezer
                        as much as I love the Bills I could not stay here just for football...
                        I know it sounds dumb, but it wasn't the only reason.

Comment

• Billscusey
                          • Nov 2004

Not to mention that the Bills are critical to keeping the NFL popular in one of the largest, most populated and influencial parts of Canada. Ontario, and the Toronto area especially, is home to many Bills fans, myself included. On my way home from work today, I was listening to WGR 550, and the discussion was about the Bills leaving Buffalo. If they were to abondon Buffalo, I would abondon football. And I think that many Canadians, who depend on the Bills and their close proximity to our country, for their NFL fix would follow suit. Without them, the NFL won't have us. How can this be a smart move for the NFL?

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                            Roways rooking ahread!
                            • Sep 2005

It would kill me if they left.

Comment

• Typ0
                              honey pie
                              • Jul 2002

The WNY economy was shot years ago...the Bills leaving will be a result of that not the cause.

Comment

Working...
                              X