PDA

View Full Version : Why do so many people think that the Bills leaving will destroy Buffalo?

OpIv37
04-10-2006, 10:29 AM
Now, don't get me wrong- I would be incredibly upset if the Bills left. However, I'm seeing a bunch of people talking about how the population would decrease, it would destroy the city's morale, it would hurt the economy even more, etc. I just don't get it.

Now, those of us who post here are huge football fans, so the people like us are bound to be disappointed (and "disappointed' is probably an understatement- the Bills moving would have a huge effect on me). But the jobs aren't leaving because of the Bills, and no one's being forced to move out of the city.

So, someone please explain to me why so many people seem to think the future of the city and the future of team are one and the same.

TacklingDummy
04-10-2006, 10:33 AM
The Bills will not be moving. Hillary Clinton will step in and make sure of it.

THATHURMANATOR
04-10-2006, 10:36 AM
Now, don't get me wrong- I would be incredibly upset if the Bills left. However, I'm seeing a bunch of people talking about how the population would decrease, it would destroy the city's morale, it would hurt the economy even more, etc. I just don't get it.

Now, those of us who post here are huge football fans, so the people like us are bound to be disappointed (and "disappointed' is probably an understatement- the Bills moving would have a huge effect on me). But the jobs aren't leaving because of the Bills, and no one's being forced to move out of the city.

So, someone please explain to me why so many people seem to think the future of the city and the future of team are one and the same.
Most people in Buffalo are big Bills fans. It won't destroy the city, but the morale will be crushed.

Ebenezer
04-10-2006, 10:39 AM
1. City low self esteem
2. Not a lot keeping people here to begin with
3. Economic impact - just how many dominos are in that line, nobody really knows
4. Final nail in coffin for some.

OpIv37
04-10-2006, 10:42 AM
The Bills will not be moving. Hillary Clinton will step in and make sure of it.

she couldn't get Bill to keep his dick in his pants but she's going to keep 32 rich, greedy bastards from making an extra buck at Buffalo's expense? I doubt it.

Michael82
04-10-2006, 10:53 AM
1. City low self esteem
2. Not a lot keeping people here to begin with
3. Economic impact - just how many dominos are in that line, nobody really knows
4. Final nail in coffin for some.
EXACTLY! And like you said, there are a TON of dominoes that would fall. Don't forget about all of the 73,000 people that come into Buffalo on game days and spend money. Or the ones that come to the Home Opener and stay for the whole weekend to have a big party there. That kind of money will disappear. And also the millions of dollars in taxes that the Bills pay. Or how about the money that the rich players and coaches spend in Buffalo while they live there or stay there? Or how about the hotels that hold the Bills and visitors during game days? There's a lot of money that will be lost IMO.

TacklingDummy
04-10-2006, 10:53 AM
she couldn't get Bill to keep his dick in his pants but she's going to keep 32 rich, greedy bastards from making an extra buck at Buffalo's expense? I doubt it.

Was a joke. Clinton has come to my area many times promising jobs but we are yet to see any. Where are they? I don't know.

Bill Brasky
04-10-2006, 10:55 AM
Well, the way I see it, WNY is in the 12th round of a heavyweight fight... and the count is at 9.... once the Bills leave the count hits ten.

Game over.

Not to mention that the city is trying to rebuild. They've got a number of new constructions/projects slated to start this year or next...

Losing the Bills could be a catastrophic blow in terms of keeping morale up to keep these projects rolling.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-10-2006, 04:35 PM
I know this might sound stupid, but a couple of years ago (it might not have even been that long) my wife and I were in discussions on whether we wanted to move to Raleigh, NC. She had an opportunity to get a good job there. A job that might have afforded me to not having to work, I probably would have, but I didn't have to and still make a good living. The final decision we made was to stay here. Why? Because of the Buffalo Bills. I know what you are thinking and it is probably true. If they move I don't know if that will come into play, but who knows what can come up in the future.

Ebenezer
04-10-2006, 04:43 PM
I know this might sound stupid, but a couple of years ago (it might not have even been that long) my wife and I were in discussions on whether we wanted to move to Raleigh, NC. She had an opportunity to get a good job there. A job that might have afforded me to not having to work, I probably would have, but I didn't have to and still make a good living. The final decision we made was to stay here. Why? Because of the Buffalo Bills. I know what you are thinking and it is probably true. If they move I don't know if that will come into play, but who knows what can come up in the future.
as much as I love the Bills I could not stay here just for football...

Mr. Cynical
04-10-2006, 05:36 PM
Would people be in Green Bay if the Pack moved? The Bills may not be quite as critical to the city as that but damn close.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-10-2006, 06:04 PM
as much as I love the Bills I could not stay here just for football...

I know it sounds dumb, but it wasn't the only reason.

Billscusey
04-10-2006, 06:10 PM
Not to mention that the Bills are critical to keeping the NFL popular in one of the largest, most populated and influencial parts of Canada. Ontario, and the Toronto area especially, is home to many Bills fans, myself included. On my way home from work today, I was listening to WGR 550, and the discussion was about the Bills leaving Buffalo. If they were to abondon Buffalo, I would abondon football. And I think that many Canadians, who depend on the Bills and their close proximity to our country, for their NFL fix would follow suit. Without them, the NFL won't have us. How can this be a smart move for the NFL?

Mitchy moo
04-10-2006, 06:23 PM
It would kill me if they left.

Typ0
04-10-2006, 06:44 PM
The WNY economy was shot years ago...the Bills leaving will be a result of that not the cause.

Typ0
04-10-2006, 06:44 PM
What if they move to Toronto?

Not to mention that the Bills are critical to keeping the NFL popular in one of the largest, most populated and influencial parts of Canada. Ontario, and the Toronto area especially, is home to many Bills fans, myself included. On my way home from work today, I was listening to WGR 550, and the discussion was about the Bills leaving Buffalo. If they were to abondon Buffalo, I would abondon football. And I think that many Canadians, who depend on the Bills and their close proximity to our country, for their NFL fix would follow suit. Without them, the NFL won't have us. How can this be a smart move for the NFL?

The_Philster
04-10-2006, 07:19 PM
I know it sounds dumb, but it wasn't the only reason.
doesn't sound dumb at all...sometimes making a decision like that only requires one small thing to sway it one way or the other...the Bills swayed your decision into staying

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-10-2006, 07:22 PM
doesn't sound dumb at all...sometimes making a decision like that only requires one small thing to sway it one way or the other...the Bills swayed your decision into staying

Right on!!!

paladin warrior
04-10-2006, 07:49 PM
I have one Question. If the bills are moving in LA in the future. So that mean There will be no more name Of Bills & Going change new name and a new team.

The_Philster
04-10-2006, 07:51 PM
If they move, it's possible they change the name...since LA Bills has no meaning like Buffalo Bills...as far as a new team in Buffalo...if that's what you're asking..unlikely :sadwalk:

paladin warrior
04-10-2006, 08:04 PM
If they move, it's possible they change the name...since LA Bills has no meaning like Buffalo Bills...as far as a new team in Buffalo...if that's what you're asking..unlikely :sadwalk: Yeah I just to know. Like LA RAMS moved to ST LOUIS. It still same name RAMS and In AZ still same name Cardinals.:str8face:

The_Philster
04-10-2006, 08:15 PM
Yeah..but those team names don't have a special meaning in connection with the city. Buffalo Bill was a major figure in the Wild West...hence the name. I don't think I've heard of an L.A. Bill :lol:

Ebenezer
04-10-2006, 08:18 PM
Yeah..but those team names don't have a special meaning in connection with the city. Buffalo Bill was a major figure in the Wild West...hence the name. I don't think I've heard of an L.A. Bill :lol:
nicknames are fruitless basically...who ever heard of an Arizona Cardinal?...I don't think cardinals live west of the Mississippi...when was the last time a Ram lived in St. Louis other than a zoo?

If they move to LA and keep the name like what are we going to do? *****? Personally, if they leave they can change everything about the team.

Mr. Cynical
04-10-2006, 11:02 PM
nicknames are fruitless basically...who ever heard of an Arizona Cardinal?...I don't think cardinals live west of the Mississippi...when was the last time a Ram lived in St. Louis other than a zoo?

If they move to LA and keep the name like what are we going to do? *****? Personally, if they leave they can change everything about the team.

Agreed - alot of names don't have much to do with anything based on their location. But as Philster mentioned Buffalo is one of the few that do. Others that come to mind: Cowboys, Broncos, 49ers, Steelers, Patriots, Texans (marginal...Oilers made more sense), Dolphins, Chiefs and Vikings. I can't speak for all the "bird" teams as I'd have to look up the state birds and am too lazy. :;

Billscusey
04-11-2006, 10:52 PM
What if they move to Toronto?

That's a good question! Bills fans, if the team HAD TO move, would you prefer a move to Toronto over say a move to L.A.?

tampabay25690
04-11-2006, 11:45 PM

U ARE KIDDING ME.........The population can't decrease anymore then has already but Im sure tehre is someone in Buffalo right now packing there car and heading down SOUTH for a high paying job and much lower taxes. Now that I live in Florida i know I will make way more on my house when I go to sell then actually have my house decrease. DONT get me wrong I LOVE BUFFALO but Im happy I dont live there anymore, The BILLS Have a great fan base all around the world so I think the Bills will be fine and stay in WESTERN NY. HOPEFULLY!!!!!!

The_Philster
04-12-2006, 04:50 AM
That's a good question! Bills fans, if the team HAD TO move, would you prefer a move to Toronto over say a move to L.A.?
either way it's a move away from the Buffalo area :down:

Mr. Pink
04-12-2006, 08:22 AM
Yeah I just to know. Like LA RAMS moved to ST LOUIS. It still same name RAMS and In AZ still same name Cardinals.:str8face:

What's an LA Ram? Team was originally the Cleveland Rams.
St Louis Cardinals? Originally was the Chicago Cardinals.

So these teams names are the same two cities removed. So yeah LA Bills could happen. Not likely though.

footballhottie
04-12-2006, 08:42 AM
one of the biggest reasons i havnt made the move yet is i dont want to miss games. i bet there are more people like me out there

TigerJ
04-12-2006, 10:06 AM

Destroy Buffalo? Probably not, but the economy of Buffalo along with all of Western New York has been in a constant state of recession/depression for the last 4 or 5 decades. By bringing in fans from outside of the area, Bills games provide an important revenue stream for area restaurants, bars, and hotels. Those businesses pay taxes. If the Bills pack up and leave, that revenue stream disappears, adding to the depressed state of the area economy. Then there is the psychological damage. The Bills are a source of community identity and pride, particularly since they went to four straight Super Bowls. Take the Bills away, and even a lot of Buffalonians are left with a self image that is comprised of snow and cold, rust, and unemplyoment. Yuch! The Bills leaving won't destroy Buffalo, but it will make it that much more difficult to climb out of the malaise that has plagued the area for longer than most Western New Yorkers have been alive.