• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ICE74129
    Legendary Zoner
    • Feb 2005

This is really a WNY economy problem

Ralph wants to stay in the bottom 1/3 of the league revenue wise so he gets his piece of the pie. Without it the Bills fold in WNY.

that isn't a Ralph problem, that isn't an NFL problem. It's a WNY problem. the economy sucks and they can't support a pro football team. I am starting to see it doesn't matter WHO the owner is. WNY just doesnt' have it.

I was talking with redeye last week about where in NY to move the team so they could be more economicly feasable. Maybe it is time to move out of Orchard park but still have a team?

revenue sharing isn't set yet, but the issue is Ralph has to keep the Bills in the bottom 1/3rd or he doesn't get any of the revenue sharing. The top 1/3 put money in for the bottom 1/3rd while the middle 1/3rd get nothing. To me that is stupid but I digress.

I will piss many off here by saying I don't feel its the top 1/3rd's job to finance other teams. New England was crap before Kraft got ahold of it. Now where are the Patriots? He didn't have much to work with either, but he got it done.

I feel the reality is this, Ralph needs to sell to an owner with deeper pockets and is willing to relocate the team in state somewhere that will better benefit revenue by attracting more fans, selling more boxes etc. He needs to work to sell naming rights, get a new stadium as well. By doing so NEW YORK keeps their only real team.

Unless there are changes in WNY period, and a new owner take over, this is going to end badly for Bills fans at sometime in the near future.
  • ICE74129
    Legendary Zoner
    • Feb 2005

Re: This is really a WNY economy problem

And PS...

I understand fully what ralph is trying to do. He is wanting the NFL to halt the current thinking on revenue sharing before it is set in stone. I don't see that happening.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
      Roways rooking ahread!
      • Sep 2005

You are going to get torched for this heresy.

"willing to relocate the team in state somewhere that will better benefit revenue by attracting more fans, selling more boxes etc."

How many more sellouts could RWS have?

RW selling it to a deep pocket guy is great. If RW dies and has it set up right they can still keep it local. Better business people create better businesses and RW needs a modern pro. The 60's-70's-80's-90's were good to him but in case no one has noticed the 2000's have yielded no playoffs and a below average team at best.

Who do you blame, TD or RW? Both and RW for letting it happen.

Comment

• Bill Brasky
        Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
        • Jan 2004

Ice, where in NY exactly do you propose they move?

Kraft can afford to rip his fans off, they live in one of the highest priced markets in the country.

Comment

• ICE74129
          Legendary Zoner
          • Feb 2005

Yeah God forbid FACTS are brought into this. But honestly I dont think they will fry me too bad, they know its the truth.

Comment

• Bill Brasky
            • Jan 2004

also keep in mind, that NE brings in so much advertising revenue simply by being the Tom Bradyiots.

Winning = success. Marketable players = success. Ralph hasn't realized that in 46 years.

If, outside the early 90's, this team was consistantly good, money would have been pumped in.

In order to be successful in this climate he has to spend.

Kraft financed his stadium with 300$ of his own Money. Ralph would never do that.

He won't even pony up in free agency, something you sided with, yet now you're *****ing that he needs to spend.....

Comment

• ICE74129
              Legendary Zoner
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by jfreeman
              Ice, where in NY exactly do you propose they move?

Kraft can afford to rip his fans off, they live in one of the highest priced markets in the country.
              I don't know. Here is what I know, WNY aka BUFFALO can't afford to keep them. Let me ask you this...would you rather have them move in state or out of state?

We need to get ready for there not being a 'Buffalo' Bills.

Comment

• ICE74129
                Legendary Zoner
                • Feb 2005

Winning = success. Ralph hasn't realized that in 46 years.

If, outside the early 90's, this team was consistantly good, money would have been pumped in.
                Again what did I put in there, a new owner is a MUST. So is moving the team somewhat. There has to come a time, and rightfully so, that WNY says 'sorry, we can't give you anymore'.

Comment

• TedMock
                  • Jul 2002

I understand your theory, but there is nowhere else for them to go. They certainly aren't going to the southeast part of the state, and they certainly can't move from a depressed western NY to an even more depressed central NY. They can move out of Orchard Park, but they probably can't go any further than Rochester.

Comment

• Bill Brasky
                    • Jan 2004

Yeah, but what I'm saying is... WNY isn't much worse than the rest of Upstate

Where do you move the team?

Rochester... not much better, less people, and you alienate the canadian fanbase.

Syracuse... even worse, and less people.

Albany... massive ****hole, and they've already tapped the NYJ/NYG market.

NYC is out of the question, the market is tapped out. Everybody is a Giants or Jets fan, nobody's going to jump on the Bills bandwagon.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                      Give me a minute...
                      • Jul 2002

We were in Erie, PA this weekend. Prices there were considerably higher than in Buffalo.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• ICE74129
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Feb 2005

Yeah, but what I'm saying is... WNY isn't much worse than the rest of Upstate

Where do you move the team?

Rochester... not much better, less people, and you alienate the canadian fanbase.

Syracuse... even worse, and less people.

Albany... massive ****hole, and they've already tapped the NYJ/NYG market.

NYC is out of the question, the market is tapped out. Everybody is a Giants or Jets fan, nobody's going to jump on the Bills bandwagon.
                        I don't know JF but it is more than apperant WNY can't afford them.

Comment

• Michael82
                          • Jul 2002

You contradict yourself. How can Western NY be a bad situation when it still is in the middle of the pack? Come on ICE. If this team is out of the bottom 1/3, but in the middle 1/3...that's actually pretty damn good for a team thats in the crappy Western NY economy.

The truth is, Ralph is trying to fight for the middle of the pack teams to get some help and I think he's right. They deserve some.

Comment

• ICE74129
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Mikey82
                            You contradict yourself. How can Western NY be a bad situation when it still is in the middle of the pack? Come on ICE. If this team is out of the bottom 1/3, but in the middle 1/3...that's actually pretty damn good for a team thats in the crappy Western NY economy.

The truth is, Ralph is trying to fight for the middle of the pack teams to get some help and I think he's right. They deserve some.
                            The truth is Ralph can't afford them and neither can WNY

Comment

• Ebenezer
                              Give me a minute...
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ICE74129
                              The truth is Ralph can't afford them and neither can WNY
                              define afford...by NFL standards in which he makes money like the Joneses and the Snyders or is at the bottom and gets the revenue sharing...if he is in the middle they are dead.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

Working...
                              X