PDA

View Full Version : Three words about the #8 pick:

lordofgun
04-10-2006, 10:14 PM
BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE.

We then have 9 other picks to "fill needs."

I really hope marv and company really stick to their draft board and get an impact player...no settling for a lesser talent to fill a need in round 1 please...especially not at #8.

YardRat
04-10-2006, 10:28 PM
I think Marv's done a nice job so far setting himself up for just that.

DT, safety, and o-line still need to be addressed, but I don't think with the number of draft picks we have it would hurt at all to take BPA in the first and address those positions in the later rounds.

There's a lot of talent still on the board after the first round.

Dozerdog
04-10-2006, 10:30 PM
I'll wait until the first 7 are off the boards before I get all hot & bothered on who the Bills pick

GarnOFreak
04-10-2006, 10:48 PM
regardless of who we get, there are a number of guys we all wouldn't mind coming here out of the Top 10 players forecasted. (basically all of them....hehe). Any one of the following would be a good pick(in my estimation...and no particular order):

DT-Bunkley or Ngata
S-Huff
TE-Davis
OT-Ferguson
DE-Williams
LB-Hawk
QB-Young or Leinhart
RB-Bush

It's interesting to see in some mocks(i.e. PFW for one at least)...I've seen Bunkley taken ahead of Ngata since he is more of a 4-3 DT than Ngata who is a 3-4 player.(not to say that either is one type or another myself, but the "experts" seem to think so...prolly based solely on measurables and a couple game tapes)

Players I don't want to see if at all possible from things I have heard and gut feeling(hey, I'm no scout):(most of these guys would be a reach unless we traded down, but...)

OT- Justice
QB- Cutler
CB- J. Williams
RB- L. White
OG- M. Jean-Giles(who I used to be high on, until I heard he has char and weight issues)
WR- Chad Jackson

Crisis
04-10-2006, 11:16 PM
Michael Huff or trade down.

That's with the assumption Brick and Williams will be gone long gone.

Tatonka
04-10-2006, 11:18 PM
Log.. just wondering.. who do you think the BPA will be at that point.. not to flame you.. i am just wondering.

Crisis
04-10-2006, 11:19 PM
If we take Vince Young I'll throw myself off the largest building I can find.

Tatonka
04-10-2006, 11:25 PM

there is zero chance of that bro.. none.. we will not take a qb.. not a chance.. we have our three guys.. they have the competition they want.

i have never been more confident about anything regarding the bills.

and if a qb like young is there.. good chance we can trade down.

lordofgun
04-10-2006, 11:36 PM
Log.. just wondering.. who do you think the BPA will be at that point.. not to flame you.. i am just wondering.
Could be a number of players, T. Personally, I'm hoping for Vernon Davis.

lordofgun
04-10-2006, 11:36 PM
And no, I'm NOT talking about taking a QB. Only way I'd do that is if Leinert were available, and he won't be.

Tatonka
04-10-2006, 11:43 PM
what do you think about a DL, like ngata or bunkley.. if they felt either was that good? would you be disappointed..

i am pulling for davis or hawk too, as i have said many times.. but just wondering.

lordofgun
04-11-2006, 12:06 AM
what do you think about a DL, like ngata or bunkley.. if they felt either was that good? would you be disappointed..

i am pulling for davis or hawk too, as i have said many times.. but just wondering.
I don't have a problem with Bunkley or Ngata if they thought he was the best on the board. My main thing is that the #8 pick is too high to base it strictly on need.

I'd love Hawk also.

LifetimeBillsFan
04-11-2006, 02:38 AM
BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE.

I really hope marv and company really stick to their draft board and get an impact player...no settling for a lesser talent to fill a need in round 1 please...especially not at #8.

I keep going back to Marv's book and his description of how his first draft in KC went and I'm beginning to see a lot of similarities: in that instance, with the # 2 pick in the draft, they went strictly with the guy who they had rated # 2 who was at the top of their board when they picked--in short they went with the BPA. In that instance, the DE that they got, Art Still, also filled a need.

Considering the depth of this draft at OLT, S and OG and Marv's comments about being able to get a DT later in the draft, with 10 picks I can see the Bills going with the BPA and still being able to address the team's most obvious needs. The way that this draft is shaping up, Marv knows that at # 8 he is going to get a player for the Bills--which he might not get if he trades down too far--so why not go get the best player on the board regardless of position? That would make a lot of sense.

The only question is, which player will be the one that they have at the top of their board when that pick rolls around? That's a puzzler! (I like that Marv is playing it close to the vest and throwing out a lot of different signals so that no one can really tell at this point what they are thinking--that's smart.)

ddaryl
04-11-2006, 03:01 AM
To me trading down is the only intelligent decision.

Thhere are plenty of players that can make an impact that can be had in the 1st day of this draft. Procurring more day 1 picks is the way to go IMO.

However if Da'Brick falls then we stay at #8 IMO. Otherwise we trade down and enter the Winston derby.

jmb1099
04-11-2006, 05:32 AM
I didn't think there was a chance in hades we would look at davis, but with everett being hurt yet again I am more inclined to agree that if davis is there we need to take him.

Luisito23
04-11-2006, 06:39 AM
Pick the best player available, trading down would be stupid, unless it's a deal that can't be passed down.

GO BILLS!!!!

Dont drink the water
04-11-2006, 07:53 AM
BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE.

Three other words: Trade for more

Get best value out of picks and beef up scouting department.

ICE74129
04-11-2006, 07:57 AM
BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE.

But you want lesser talents to fill needs? Thanks Tom Donahoe.

ICE74129
04-11-2006, 08:03 AM
And no, I'm NOT talking about taking a QB. Only way I'd do that is if Leinert were available, and he won't be.

Ok now hold up. so it's BPA IF I like the pick? Either it is BPA or it's not. Who says Cuttler isn't rated higher by Marv than Davis or hawk? If so then you want Cutler.

Guys cut the crap. We still have clear cut needs on this team, DT is the most glaring now. If Bunkley or Ngata is there then you are 1) filling a need and 2) getting an damn good talent at DT that 3) is one of the two best coming out this year.

Taking BPA regardless is fine when you dont have the holes we do. I say NO to QB, NO to CB or Safety, Yes to Either top DT, Davis or Hawk.

madness
04-11-2006, 08:12 AM

Square footage isn't going to kill you, I'd suggest using the tallest instead.

Worst Regards,

Dr. K.

Mr B
04-11-2006, 08:16 AM
The best part about having so many holes to fill is you can't go wrong choosing the best available player.

Night Train
04-11-2006, 08:17 AM
3 more words... Don't Blow It

FlyingDutchman
04-11-2006, 08:18 AM
V E R N O N D A V I S ! ! !

ryjam282
04-11-2006, 08:22 AM

Square footage isn't going to kill you, I'd suggest using the tallest instead.

Worst Regards,

Dr. K.

:lolcry:

ryjam282
04-11-2006, 08:26 AM
I think if we go BPA, then that leaves either Davis or Hawk. Not that Bunkely or Ngata aren't good players but more of an impact will be felt bye the other 2. Hawk is definitely a need, with Fletcher and Posey being UFA's at years end we will have to fill Fletcher's spot sometime. I think Crowell will move into Posey's spot and TKO will anchor the Weak side. But, I can't get Davis out of my thoughts with this offense. He really would be unstoppable. Not to mention, a good TE is a young QB's best friend. Whether it be JP or Nall, or even Holcombe, they would all love to have that beast as a safety valve.

footballhottie
04-11-2006, 08:34 AM
will **** up

madness
04-11-2006, 08:43 AM
will **** up

I'd tell you to have faith in Marv, but you don't believe in that sort of stuff. :couch:

ICE74129
04-11-2006, 08:45 AM
V E R N O N D A V I S ! ! ! That's two words

BillsFever21
04-11-2006, 08:45 AM
BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE.

I agree. You gotta take the best talent. Especially when we have as many needs as we do. No matter who we draft would contribute.

When you just specifically draft for need you are left with inferior talent making more money then they should be.

FlyingDutchman
04-11-2006, 08:48 AM
That's two words

P I C K V E R N O N D A V I S ! ! !

(that better?)

ublinkwescore
04-11-2006, 08:57 AM
I'll wait until the first 7 are off the boards before I get all hot & bothered on who the Bills pick

I agree - I just hope Broderick Bunkley is still available.

Jaybird
04-11-2006, 09:05 AM
if we trade down it wold be to try and fill needs. now at the bottom order of the draft are NEEDS wont be around anymore, the 2 DTs will be gone top 2 Lt will be gone, huff for sure is gone. Its gonna be interesting to see how this draft plays out. If no one trades up i think we will have a chance of landing Veron Davis and maybe huff. At this point its the 49ers who could draft one of those to guys.

ublinkwescore
04-11-2006, 09:10 AM
But you want lesser talents to fill needs? Thanks Tom Donahoe.

That is a very valid point - we could have had Roy Williams instead of Mike Williams, but TD screwed that one up.

Last year, we could have had a slightly better OL instead of Roscoe Parrish, but once again TD screwed that one up.

That being said, I wouldn't be dissapointed with us taking V. Davis, But I see having a solid DL that can both pressure the QB (Broderick Bunkley, Aaron Schoebel), and stop the run (Tripplett, Schoebel, Kelsay) as being more important - our D struggled to get off the field last season - let's put an end to that, and get some stud guards with #2 and the first #3, and then go for best player available from that point on - that's what I would do.

If it's true that Aaron Gibson is in the best shape of his life, I think that OT may have just gone from weakness to strength between he and Peters. I don't know how many of you have actually seen that when JP has had the time, he looked really sharp - both on finding a target downfield, and being able to make the most of his scrambling abilities. If we give JP time, and have some guards that can open some holes in the running game, we could very well be a playoff contender this year (I don't think we'll go anywhere in the playoffs - we might get lucky and get to a divisional playoff).

My top 3 realistic picks are Bunkley, Hali, V. Davis and in that order.

HAMMER
04-11-2006, 10:37 AM
Two weeks ago I would have been very surprised if OBD went with Davis at #8, but less surprised now that Everett has another injury.

Michael82
04-11-2006, 12:37 PM
BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE.

Great post! I have been saying this all along. :bf1: