PDA

View Full Version : For those of you crying about overpaying players...

lordofgun
04-10-2006, 10:26 PM
Who gives a crap? It's not like we're up against the cap! And the cap is going to increase significantly over the next few years.

So chill!!! :bf1:

Tatonka
04-10-2006, 11:45 PM
i agree.

if a guy signs a 4 year, 10 million dollar contract, it means that he is taking up 1% of the salary cap.. and we would hardly feel any effect if we cut them.

Ebenezer
04-11-2006, 12:02 AM
i agree.

if a guy signs a 4 year, 10 million dollar contract, it means that he is taking up 1% of the salary cap.. and we would hardly feel any effect if we cut them.
yup...I am sure PP's contract is incentive laden and pretty back loaded...if he doesn't make it then it should cost us little...the NFLPA will probably prove me wrong though.

ddaryl
04-11-2006, 04:52 AM
Veteran minimums are up with the new agreement so the old thoughts of what players cost has been upped. I don't see the Bills doing much over paying on anyone they signed

Night Train
04-11-2006, 05:19 AM
With the new cap, the average player on a 53 man roster is making 2 Mil a year.

If you read beyond the headines, the actual salary/cap hits with some of these recent signings are well below 2 Mil this season. If they're expected to contribute, that's cheap. Some may not make it out of camp, so they're actual contract numbers mean little.

Earthquake Enyart
04-11-2006, 07:50 AM
Who gives a crap? It's not like we're up against the cap! And the cap is going to increase significantly over the next few years.

So chill!!! :bf1:
Finally. A voice of reason other than Thurm. :bf1:

ICE74129
04-11-2006, 08:55 AM
i agree.

Agreed, I don't see what the big deal is.

ICE74129
04-11-2006, 08:56 AM
With the new cap, the average player on a 53 man roster is making 2 Mil a year.

If you read beyond the headines, the actual salary/cap hits with some of these recent signings are well below 2 Mil this season. If they're expected to contribute, that's cheap. Some may not make it out of camp, so they're actual contract numbers mean little.

Yeah and we were 14.5 under the cap after we traded moulds. Everyone sees 10 mill and says 'he takes up 2.5 mill per'. Pure stupidity and I say stupidity because they should know better

OpIv37
04-11-2006, 09:05 AM
i agree.

10/4= 2.5 million per season. If that were 1%, the cap would be $250 million a season.

It's not that they're overpaying players- it's the players they're choosing to overpay. Why are we overpaying 2 receivers when there are 9 on the roster? If we're going to overpay, why not overpay for OL and DL help? I just don't get it.

acehole
04-11-2006, 09:10 AM
YEA I know...either they are complaining we low ball um or we paid to much......

WTF

BillsFever21
04-11-2006, 09:12 AM
4/10= 2.5 million per season. If that were 1%, the cap would be $250 million a season.

It's not that they're overpaying players- it's the players they're choosing to overpay. Why are we overpaying 2 receivers when there are 9 on the roster? If we're going to overpay, why not overpay for OL and DL help? I just don't get it.

My sentiments exactly.

Somehow I feel that if TD was still the GM and we had the exact same offseason the fans would be erupting with hate and anger. Because it's Marv they are singing a different tune.

OpIv37
04-11-2006, 09:13 AM
YEA I know...either they are complaining we low ball um or we paid to much......

WTF

They're lowballing players in positions we need, but have no problem overpaying players in positions where we have too many players. Not to mention that the receivers don't matter if we can't protect the QB long enough for him to throw the ball.

WTF

lordofgun
04-11-2006, 09:26 AM
What is it that you guys don't get about backloaded, non-guaranteed contracts?

bigbub2352
04-11-2006, 09:30 AM
Am I the Only person that thinks Josh Reed Sam Aiken Jonathan Smith are bums what have these guys done that everyone is so happy about I think Sam Aiken has more st tackles that he does catches jonathan smith cant get open and josh reed i am still shocked about Peerless and Andre bring one thing very important in todays game SPEED which none of those guys have, Our offense will be better off hence why our passing game has been a joke no matter what anybody says those recievers biggest struggle is getting open they are all 2-3 years in the league now and have done nothing exciting

OpIv37
04-11-2006, 09:36 AM
Am I the Only person that thinks Josh Reed Sam Aiken Jonathan Smith are bums what have these guys done that everyone is so happy about I think Sam Aiken has more st tackles that he does catches jonathan smith cant get open and josh reed i am still shocked about Peerless and Andre bring one thing very important in todays game SPEED which none of those guys have, Our offense will be better off hence why our passing game has been a joke no matter what anybody says those recievers biggest struggle is getting open they are all 2-3 years in the league now and have done nothing exciting

Reed blows and was a stupid signing. Aiken is a good ST player and not bad as a receiver. Jonathan Smith hasn't had many chances as WR and when he has he's held his own (ie TD against the Jets).

If this is your logic, though, how do you defend Price? He peaked his third year in the league and it's been downhill ever since.

Jeff1220
04-11-2006, 09:42 AM
I thought Reed was actually quite improved last year. He's not meeting 2nd round pick expectations, but he's also not getting paid like a starter. While I don't think he will be a star, I do think he can be a solid contributor.

ICE74129
04-11-2006, 09:50 AM
10/4= 2.5 million per season. If that were 1%, the cap would be $250 million a season.

first off 10/4 doesn't work in the NFL. Most likely it is 2\4 for bonus = 500K per year. then most likely it is a 1 mill base this year, 1.5 next and then it gets bigger from there. Meaning Price = 1.5 mill this year or about 500K under the average of a 53 man roster.

You guys need to realise we are NOT overpaying for anyone that is on this roster. All of the contracts were very well done and leaves us an out in year 2 or 3 if need be and we take minimal damage while the cap keeps going up.

Next 9 WR's on this roster? I bet 3 are gone during camp if that long. Evans, Price, Davis, Aiken, Reed will all stay. Beyond that I say maybe Parrish has the best spot as a Punt returner.

ICE74129
04-11-2006, 09:51 AM
Reed blows and was a stupid signing. Aiken is a good ST player and not bad as a receiver. Jonathan Smith hasn't had many chances as WR and when he has he's held his own (ie TD against the Jets).

If this is your logic, though, how do you defend Price? He peaked his third year in the league and it's been downhill ever since.

Man can your posts be anymore negative and *****y?

OpIv37
04-11-2006, 10:06 AM
Man can your posts be anymore negative and *****y?
???

I know I complain a lot, but in the post you quoted I complained about two players and complimented two. That's a wash in my book.

bigbub2352
04-11-2006, 10:11 AM
Jonathan Smith was also sat for like 9 games Sam Aiken had like 6 catches last year Roscoe is one hit a away from being put out of football F R A G I L E it most be Italian

OpIv37
04-11-2006, 10:19 AM
Jonathan Smith was also sat for like 9 games Sam Aiken had like 6 catches last year Roscoe is one hit a away from being put out of football F R A G I L E it most be Italian

I agree on Parrish- I'm just saying we should be fixing the OL and DL before chasing receivers that have already been rejected by 3 teams, including us.

lordofgun
04-11-2006, 10:35 AM
:D

OpIv37
04-11-2006, 10:44 AM
right- backloaded contracts- so if these guys do good, but not great, we have to either overpay them or cut them loose and let some other team get them for free. :up:

lordofgun
04-11-2006, 10:48 AM
But of course, the first 3 years of Peerless' contract will be a total waste if Peerless performs well, but not well enough to justify the high contract numbers in year 4. :rolleyes:

It's a bad signing because we cut him after 3 years of decent production?