X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

We are going to take shots downfield

Which is an irony because we ran Gilbride out of Buffalo two years ago.

Having said that I don't believe Fairchild is Gilbride, though he has certainly learned from the master first hand in Buffalo. But he has an interesting mix of knowledge - ran run attack himself in Buffalo, learned downfield attack from Martz and Gilbride.

If you look the kind of receivers the Bills acquired this off season - all have/had downfield speed to burn, you have to wonder what kind of characteristics this offense is going to be.

Martz is known for forcing the defense to defend the entire field. Right off the bat, he needs two receivers that can speed towards the end corners. He had Faulk who can pound the ball or catch the ball in the middle. McGahee so far has not proved to us that he can catch and run effectively.

Then the element that really makes the whole thing work, a QB who, like Warner in his heyday, can digest the whole picture quickly and deliver the ball. Anyone on Bills roster?

Reading Fairchild's comment on JP, I get the impression that they are not impressed with JP's mental capability from studying last year's film.
  • Throne Logic
    Terry Tate - Outside Linebacker
    • Aug 2002

Re: We are going to take shots downfield

My big concern relates to who Fairchild is planning to send across the middle. I guess Josh Reed might be able to fill that roll - note I said "might".

Evans and Price are strictly down the field, deep post, and out-route guys.

I would really like to see a big physical WR to take on the big physical CB's. Especially for those toss ups in the End Zone.
    Still searching for that offensive rhythm.

Comment

• ICE74129
      Legendary Zoner
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh

Having said that I don't believe Fairchild is Gilbride, though he has certainly learned from the master first hand in Buffalo. But he has an interesting mix of knowledge - ran run attack himself in Buffalo, learned downfield attack from Martz and Gilbride.

If you look the kind of receivers the Bills acquired this off season - all have/had downfield speed to burn, you have to wonder what kind of characteristics this offense is going to be.

Martz is known for forcing the defense to defend the entire field. Right off the bat, he needs two receivers that can speed towards the end corners. He had Faulk who can pound the ball or catch the ball in the middle. McGahee so far has not proved to us that he can catch and run effectively.

Then the element that really makes the whole thing work, a QB who, like Warner in his heyday, can digest the whole picture quickly and deliver the ball. Anyone on Bills roster?

Reading Fairchild's comment on JP, I get the impression that they are not impressed with JP's mental capability from studying last year's film.
      It doesn't matter if they play holcomb as the QB. He doesn't have the arm and when push comes to shove will ALWAYS dump the ball off instead of taking a chance. You MUST be willing to sling that ball into where angels dare tread to be a successful QB in the NFL

Comment

• Don't Panic
        All-Pro Zoner
        • Dec 2005

I hate to say it, but if the current stock of receivers is what we're dealing with come opening day, then Reed is the key guy. He is going to have to become a weapon underneath in order to properly stretch a defense. Parrish can do somehings as the 4th WR, but we can't bank on much from him. I don't see Andre Davis turning into a solid possession receiver. And, as was previously stated, Evans and Price are stretch it out guys. That leaves Reed... scary as it sounds.

Comment

• madness
          • Apr 2003

Gilbride set up the pass to pass. Martz and hopefully Fairchild will set up the pass to run. Steven Jackson's ypc was something crazy like 4.4 yards because of this. I believe Willis is the same type of RB and Shaud will be playing the role of the older less utilized pass catching Faulk.

Comment

• madness
            • Apr 2003

Originally posted by ICE74129
            It doesn't matter if they play holcomb as the QB. He doesn't have the arm and when push comes to shove will ALWAYS dump the ball off instead of taking a chance. You MUST be willing to sling that ball into where angels dare tread to be a successful QB in the N FL
            :

Comment

• ICE74129
              Legendary Zoner
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by madness
              :
              And I will say it again, and again and again as long as that POS is on this team.

Comment

• ICE74129
                Legendary Zoner
                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by madness
                Gilbride set up the pass to pass. Martz and hopefully Fairchild will set up the pass to run. Steven Jackson's ypc was something crazy like 4.4 yards because of this. I believe Willis is the same type of RB and Shaud will be playing the role of the older less utilized pass catching Faulk.
                someone else said we should, and most likely would use the pass to set up the run. Not sure who that was....

and BTW it is still the best way to run an offense. Hell, we only went to 4 superbowls with it and San Fran won something like 5 doing the same thing.

Comment

• McBFLO
                  • Mar 2003

He had Faulk who can pound the ball or catch the ball in the middle. McGahee so far has not proved to us that he can catch and run effectively.
                  He hasn't proven that he can't yet either. He was never given a chance to be a receiving threat with Mularkey as coach.
                  Infrequent poster, daily visitor.

Eternal optimist.

Follow me on twitter @CoreyMc81

Comment

• ICE74129
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by pepperkorn
                    He hasn't proven that he can't yet either. He was never given a chance to be a receiving threat with Mularkey as coach.
                    Agreed! AND Jackson in St.Louis didn't catch that much. Mostly screens etc. I am sure willis will get more than his opportunity to do so

Comment

• madness
                      • Apr 2003

Originally posted by ICE74129
                      Agreed! AND Jackson in St.Louis didn't catch that much. Mostly screens etc. I am sure willis will get more than his opportunity to do so
                      I agree. Willis is going to fully utilized this year, 3rd downs and all.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                        • May 2003

We can only take shots downfield with JP. Neither Holcomb nor Nall have the arm to get it done.

When Holcomb throws it more than 20 yards, his receiver has to call a fair catch.
                        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Bill Brasky
                          Drives an ice cream truck covered in human skulls
                          • Jan 2004

Davis, Evans, Parrish, Price all have the size to go over the middle and make physical plays.

Comment

• ICE74129
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                            We can only take shots downfield with JP. Neither Holcomb nor Nall have the arm to get it done.

When Holcomb throws it more than 20 yards, his receiver has to call a fair catch.
                            Nall has a downfield arm and accurate at that, but JP has the best arm on the team.

Comment

• G. Host
                              Banned
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by jfreeman
                              Davis, Evans, Parrish, Price all have the size to go over the middle and make physical plays.
                              Parrish does not have the size to take on the Jills!

Comment

Working...
                              X