PDA

View Full Version : Tim Anderson Starting DT

Devin
04-11-2006, 12:59 PM
Just saw this article, my apologies if its been posted.

The 2006 campaign brings a new challenge with a new defensive coaching staff and a new system to learn. With the demand for a more athletic defensive tackle to play the 'three-technique' (outside shade of the guard) in defensive coordinator Perry Fewell's penetrating scheme, Anderson, who is more of a plugger, will be handling the spot right next to the 'three.'

"It looks like I'm going to be a full time nose (tackle) now," said Anderson. "Last year I rotated between the nose and the 'three' depending on the play call. But that's what they want me to do and I'm going to do my best at it. I'm going to learn the new system and hopefully be the guy this year."

http://boards.buffalobills.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=127354

Mr. Miyagi
04-11-2006, 01:00 PM
Full time is not the same as Starting.

OpIv37
04-11-2006, 01:03 PM
:rolleyes:

Tim Anderson is not good enough to start or play full time in the NFL. If the Bills don't upgrade before the start of the season somehow, expect to see a lot more 120 yard rushers.

ICE74129
04-11-2006, 01:09 PM

Tim Anderson is not good enough to start or play full time in the NFL. If the Bills don't upgrade before the start of the season somehow, expect to see a lot more 120 yard rushers.

How do you figure? We now have a guy that is regarded as the best DL coach in the league. How do you know he doesnt' have him as the starter or feels Anderson can't handle the load?

That said, we will still bring in another DT but he won't 'start' because they rotate quite a bit in this defense.

OpIv37
04-11-2006, 01:10 PM
How do you figure? We now have a guy that is regarded as the best DL coach in the league. How do you know he doesnt' have him as the starter or feels Anderson can't handle the load?

That said, we will still bring in another DT but he won't 'start' because they rotate quite a bit in this defense.

Because Anderson got pushed all over the field last year. The only thing he did well was bat down balls.

Saratoga Slim
04-11-2006, 01:16 PM
DT rotation seems like it would be almost necessary in Cover 2, where you need your guys going high-energy-into-the-backfield on every down. Seems like rotating DTs is a growing trend in other Ds as well--look at Seattle and the way they're stockpiling DTs.

which means we need probably 2 more serviceable DTs to make this work.

OpIv37
04-11-2006, 01:17 PM
DT rotation seems like it would be almost necessary in Cover 2, where you need your guys going high-energy-into-the-backfield on every down. Seems like rotating DTs is a growing trend in other Ds as well--look at Seattle and the way they're stockpiling DTs.

That's fine if you have the personnel. We've got Tripplett, Sape, Jefferson and Anderson. Only Tripplett is capable of starting, Anderson is ok for short periods, Jefferson is an unknown and I don't know why Sape is on the team.

Dont drink the water
04-11-2006, 01:25 PM
How do you figure? We now have a guy that is regarded as the best DL coach in the league. How do you know he doesnt' have him as the starter or feels Anderson can't handle the load?.

Of course posters know more than coaches! Isn't that why they are paid the big bucks?

Philagape
04-11-2006, 01:35 PM
We have one of the best o-line coaches, but it didn't do us much good last year

ICE74129
04-11-2006, 01:35 PM

which means we need probably 2 more serviceable DTs to make this work.

Yeah and didn't carolina drop one then pick up TWO DT's this offseason? Nah again John fox apperantly doesn't know anything...

BTW...aren't we still drafting? I could have sworn that wasn't over yet and we still get to participate? some posters, like Ralph wilson, Love to jump the gun.

ICE74129
04-11-2006, 01:36 PM
We have one of the best o-line coaches, but it didn't do us much good last year

It does when your GM and HC aren't forcing you to play certain players.

Forward_Lateral
04-11-2006, 01:38 PM
It's not like they can say "Tim Anderson is starting at this point, but we fully expect someone to beat him out of the job."

ICE74129
04-11-2006, 01:44 PM
It's not like they can say "Tim Anderson is starting at this point, but we fully expect someone to beat him out of the job."

And someone may, but then again the kid may step up. Who knows?

Forward_Lateral
04-11-2006, 01:48 PM
And someone may, but then again the kid may step up. Who knows?

Either way, the coaches aren't going to say anything negative, even if they KNOW he won't be the starter.

OpIv37
04-11-2006, 01:50 PM
Yeah and didn't carolina drop one then pick up TWO DT's this offseason? Nah again John fox apperantly doesn't know anything...

BTW...aren't we still drafting? I could have sworn that wasn't over yet and we still get to participate? some posters, like Ralph wilson, Love to jump the gun.

I don't know how many times I have to say this about the draft:

1. There is no guarantee that a DT will be available in the draft
2. If one is available, there is no guarantee that the Bills take him
3. If the Bills take a DT (or any other position), there is no guarantee that he will be GOOD.
4. If he is good, there is no guarantee that he will be able to contribute immediately- it takes time to adjust to the NFL.

So, holding out hope for the draft is like having $1000 left to your name and spending it all on lotto tickets. There's a small chance you'll be better off, but more than likely you're ****ed.

mysticsoto
04-11-2006, 01:51 PM
Because Anderson got pushed all over the field last year. The only thing he did well was bat down balls.

Well, the one good thing is that Anderson won't be asked to do what he was supposed to do last year...and that is hold his ground on the line and clog a hole so no one can run. Sam Adams didn't want to do that last year, and clearly, Anderson was not up to the task. I suspect, his role would change at DT. I'm not saying he would be great...just saying that his role will be different and that I sincerely hope he does better in this role...

bigbub2352
04-11-2006, 01:52 PM
It will be a rotation hopefully Tim anderson will only be in there on passing situations he is too unstoppable against the run we have to give the opposition a little chance......

Jan Reimers
04-11-2006, 02:20 PM
That's fine if you have the personnel. We've got Tripplett, Sape, Jefferson and Anderson. Only Tripplett is capable of starting, Anderson is ok for short periods, Jefferson is an unknown and I don't know why Sape is on the team.
Op, you forgot the great LaWaylon (Jennings) Brown. I'm sure he'll be a major force. :(

But I think Anderson would be good in a rotation that started with Triplett and Ngata.

TigerJ
04-11-2006, 02:24 PM
The off season is not over. Tim Anderson has to prepare as if h e is going to be the starter, but we have no idea what the Bills will end up doing in the draft. The hope that they will draft a DT is very reasonable though.

ICE74129
04-11-2006, 02:48 PM
"We don't need those guys that are 350 pounds to play the nose," said Kollar. "We want guys that are in shape and strong enough to play those double teams, but still run to the ball."Anderson, who is coming off of offseason shoulder surgery, got through the first minicamp fine physically, but coach Kollar believes there's a learning curve he must travel.
"He's got a long ways to go, but he's a big, tough guy that works his ass off," said Kollar. "When you have those attributes it at least gives you a good chance."

Bill Brasky
04-11-2006, 02:56 PM
Tim Anderson is a great player. I have confidence in him. He played very well last year.

mysticsoto
04-11-2006, 03:04 PM
Tim Anderson is a great player. I have confidence in him. He played very well last year.

:shocked:

ICE74129
04-11-2006, 03:15 PM
:shocked: Its obvious he has cought our DL coaches attention.

Mr. Pink
04-11-2006, 03:17 PM

This is a joke, right?

Bill Brasky
04-11-2006, 03:18 PM
Its obvious he has cought our DL coaches attention.

Ice has a point here mystic....

Did you not watch any games last year? His play def stood head and shoulders above the rest. And so far, at the voluntary mini camps, I'm sure he's shown vast improvement in his ability to manage the water cooler.

Obviously the traveled and tested Dick Jauron sees something in this guy.

mysticsoto
04-11-2006, 03:23 PM
Ice has a point here mystic....

Did you not watch any games last year? His play def stood head and shoulders above the rest. And so far, at the voluntary mini camps, I'm sure he's shown vast improvement in his ability to manage the water cooler.

Obviously the traveled and tested Dick Jauron sees something in this guy.

If he's shown improvement in the minicamps, then great. But judging by last year only, I didn't think he did much. I think Bannan played better than him. I assumed that we kept him b'cse he was young and had potential - and perhaps his potential is starting to show.

Like I said, it may be that the role Mularkey/Gray wanted him to be in as DT wasn't right for him. He may do better in the new scheme they are trying to implement. I certainly hope he does. Right now, I see the Dline as our weakest link on our team!

Bill Brasky
04-11-2006, 03:25 PM
I think Bannan played better than him.

Right now, I see the Dline as our weakest link on our team!
Yeah, well Bannan is a stud. He will probably earn his first trip to Hawaii this season.

I disagree about the DL though. I think the DL and OL are our strongest assets right now. Marv def needs to address the LB and RB situations before they become dire.

mysticsoto
04-11-2006, 03:30 PM
Yeah, well Bannan is a stud. He will probably earn his first trip to Hawaii this season.

I disagree about the DL though. I think the DL and OL are our strongest assets right now. Marv def needs to address the LB and RB situations before they become dire.

Ahh, sarcasm...got it.

I'm not sure how Anderson will fare in the new scheme. I will wait to see what he looks like in TC. But it will definitely be our weakest point if we have to hope that a draft pick can take the spot...

Bill Brasky
04-11-2006, 03:37 PM
Ahh, sarcasm...got it.

I'm not sure how Anderson will fare in the new scheme. I will wait to see what he looks like in TC. But it will definitely be our weakest point if we have to hope that a draft pick can take the spot...
This isn't sarcasm, it's the truth. I love the Bills. Everybody they have signed is great.

I can't believe you think this team has weak spots, mystic!

ICE74129
04-11-2006, 03:39 PM
This isn't sarcasm, it's the truth. I love the Bills. Everybody they have signed is great.

I can't believe you think this team has weak spots, mystic!:roflmao:

patmoran2006
04-11-2006, 05:32 PM

Ya and how much did they PAY for them?

justasportsfan
04-11-2006, 06:52 PM

Yeah, let's get rid of him after a full year. Let's get rid of Losman as well. OP, you forget, Pat Williams was an undrafted player in the draft. :rolleyes:

OpIv37
04-11-2006, 07:01 PM
Yeah, let's get rid of him after a full year. Let's get rid of Losman as well. OP, you forget, Pat Williams was an undrafted player in the draft. :rolleyes:

how bad do players have to be before you want to get rid of them?

for the last time QB HAS A HIGHER LEARNING CURVE THAN OTHER POSITIONS. DT, OL and WR are NOT the same, and if you think they are you don't understand football. So quit the completely irrelevant Losman example.

Anderson got smoked last year. You can accept mediocrity and keep him around in case he gets better. I'd rather find someone who's definitely better.

justasportsfan
04-11-2006, 07:12 PM
how bad do players have to be before you want to get rid of them?

for the last time QB HAS A HIGHER LEARNING CURVE THAN OTHER POSITIONS. DT, OL and WR are NOT the same, and if you think they are you don't understand football. So quit the completely irrelevant Losman example.

Anderson got smoked last year. You can accept mediocrity and keep him around in case he gets better. I'd rather find someone who's definitely better.Hete's the rpoblem with your logic, you agree that the coaching was horrendous last year and yet you don't give the players the benefit of the doubt that they were put in a position to fail. In case you missed it, only Moorman and a handlefull played well. By your logic we should get rid of the rest. :rolleyes:

If you are going to simply say we need a proven DT then I agree with you. But for you to come to the conclusion that he sucks based on the amount of time and the coaching he's had , you are contradicting yourself because you support Losman based on the amount of time and coaching he shared with Anderson.

OpIv37
04-11-2006, 07:13 PM
Hete's the rpoblem with your logic, you agree that the coaching was horrendous last year and yet you don't give the players the benefit of the doubt that they were put in a position to fail. In case you missed it, only Moorman and a handlefull played well. By your logic we should get rid of the rest. :rolleyes:

If you are going to simply say we need a proven DT then I agree with you. But for you to come to the conclusion that he sucks based on the amount of time and the coaching he's had , you are contradicting yourself because you support Losman based on the amount of time and coaching he shared with Anderson.

but Losman plays a DIFFERENT POSITION. it's not the same- it takes longer to learn QB than any other position.

And yes, I would be happy with getting rid of most of the team after the way they performed last year.

justasportsfan
04-11-2006, 07:27 PM
but Losman plays a DIFFERENT POSITION. it's not the same- it takes longer to learn QB than any other position.

And yes, I would be happy with getting rid of most of the team after the way they performed last year.I don't care if Losman played a different position, he's had more than enough time to read the playbook and he made horrible decisions.

Tim Anderson isn't gonna come in and overwhelm probowl Centers. You know guys like Saban and BB are gonna take advantage of his inexperience. Give the guy the same slack you give JP. Like I said, we had a horrible coaching staff and the rest of the team played as bad as Anderson.

Mahdi
04-11-2006, 07:28 PM
What I noticed about Tim Anderson last year was that he gets into the backfield quickly but tended to over-run the play. So if he can continue penetrating well, with a bit more awareness, he can be the type of DT they need.

justasportsfan
04-11-2006, 08:02 PM
What I noticed about Tim Anderson last year was that he gets into the backfield quickly but tended to over-run the play. So if he can continue penetrating well, with a bit more awareness, he can be the type of DT they need.with better coaching and experience he may actually end up tackling the right player. The guy has been said to never give up on a play and a very mean streak.