PDA

View Full Version : Tutan Reyes, Jonathan Wells Visit

Italian Stallion
04-11-2006, 03:47 PM
What do you guys think??

I think Wells is a younger version of A-Train and could be had for a cheap backup.....I don't know much about Reyes

DraftBoy
04-11-2006, 03:50 PM
Reyes was a starting OG for Panthers, not sure what happened, if it was an injury or something, I always thought he was good.

Michael82
04-11-2006, 03:53 PM
Finally, I wondered when they would bring Reyes in. :up:

Come on Marv. Get rid of Big Bennie and replace him with Tutan Reyes :up:

Italian Stallion
04-11-2006, 03:54 PM
Reyes
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=3710

Says he was a 16 game starter last season......wonder why he's still a free agent??

Anyone that follows the Panthers have any info on him??

The_Philster
04-11-2006, 03:55 PM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=3709

Gunzlingr
04-11-2006, 03:58 PM
Wells seems to be a decent backup.

Patti120
04-11-2006, 03:59 PM
Bring in Reyes!!!

Bill Brasky
04-11-2006, 03:59 PM
I would feel better if Tutan's last name was Common.

Maybe we could use some of his magic curses to win some games or maybe give Tom Brady the bubonic plague.

acehole
04-11-2006, 04:00 PM
"The style in Carolina was run them over, pull the guards, get them in out in space and put the big guys on the little guys," Reyes said. "Obviously they're very interested up here feeling I have some skills that could possibly help."
What's most attractive to Reyes about Buffalo is the open spot at left guard on the offensive line.<<

If this is the case......Aaron Gibson is being thought of as a tackle not a guard.......so if thats the case it would be at rt....he doent have the feet for left so JPeters will have to move no?

ICE74129
04-11-2006, 04:02 PM
Finally, I wondered when they would bring Reyes in. :up:

Come on Marv. Get rid of Big Bennie and replace him with Tutan Reyes :up:

Being a Panthers fan I can tell you they didn't sign him for a reason. He was the weakest link on that line. They are going to promote a 3rd round draft pick to replace him.

It will be interesting if we sign the guy though

ICE74129
04-11-2006, 04:05 PM
"I enjoyed my visit," said Reyes. "It's definitely the best one I've had in the free agency process. All of the coaches were real receptive and it looks like the organization is going in the right direction. I'm anxious to see what will come out of it."

That tells me he is going to be calling his agent and asking him to work out a deal.

I still have concerns with him.

Bill Brasky
04-11-2006, 04:07 PM
Maybe Marv can sign him for the Buffalo minimum of 2.5 Million?

Throw in an incentive if he starts 8 games he can get a free tub of Anchor Bar?

Michael82
04-11-2006, 04:08 PM
"I enjoyed my visit," said Reyes. "It's definitely the best one I've had in the free agency process. All of the coaches were real receptive and it looks like the organization is going in the right direction. I'm anxious to see what will come out of it."

That tells me he is going to be calling his agent and asking him to work out a deal.

I still have concerns with him.
He's better than Fat Ass Anderson.

ICE74129
04-11-2006, 04:17 PM
He's better than Fat Ass Anderson. Now that I will agree with.

Since Fox arived you haven't seen them make bad personel moves. Bunkner is still out there, so is Reyes, Davis and a couple others. Who knows though.

Kerr
04-11-2006, 04:33 PM
Sign Reyes.

patmoran2006
04-11-2006, 04:54 PM
SIGN that F'er...

Carolina dropped a lot of loot on Keyshawn, Kemo and a few others.. They dont want to pay for him.

PAY for him! He's better than BOTH of our starting guards.. Sign Reyes, draft a guard and our Oline just got a lot better.

ICE74129
04-11-2006, 05:55 PM
SIGN that F'er...

Carolina dropped a lot of loot on Keyshawn, Kemo and a few others.. They dont want to pay for him.

PAY for him! He's better than BOTH of our starting guards.. Sign Reyes, draft a guard and our Oline just got a lot better.

LMAO I am sure Marv will run right out and do that on your recomendation. BTW how many panthers games have you seen outside of playoffs/ Superbowl?

Mr. Pink
04-11-2006, 05:59 PM
LMAO I am sure Marv will run right out and do that on your recomendation. BTW how many panthers games have you seen outside of playoffs/ Superbowl?

The same can be said of you and your ringing endorsement for a lineman who is of NOWHERE near the skill level/ability/talent of Reyes. How many Browns games did you watch and see Fowler play? Or Vikings games?

ICE74129
04-11-2006, 06:02 PM
The same can be said of you and your ringing endorsement for a lineman who is of NOWHERE near the skill level/ability/talent of Reyes. How many Browns games did you watch and see Fowler play? Or Vikings games?

I said before I watched just about every vikes game. And My brother who is a vikes fan has seen every game since the Ticket came out...and since our mom started work at American Airlines if you get the hint.

He says Fowler is the real deal. From what I saw, I can say he is a definate upgrade over Turnstile Teague.

And Before you ask, I have seen EVERY Game Reyes has played in

patmoran2006
04-11-2006, 06:13 PM

Typical "Ice (who names themself Ice anyway?)

How many BILLS games have you been to? What is your POINT?

ICE74129
04-11-2006, 06:19 PM
Typical "Ice (who names themself Ice anyway?)

How many BILLS games have you been to? What is your POINT? Plenty. How many times have you spent saturdays in the Bills locker room? I bet money I got you on that one.

My point is you are clamoring for a lineman that a GOOD team, isn't willing to bother with and willing to replace with a 3rd round draft pick from last year.

ICE74129
04-11-2006, 06:20 PM

Reyes was let walk by a damn good team. You say Fowler doesn't have Reyes talent and I say you are flat wrong. Fowler was on a Crap team from the begining and has had to go somewhere else to get his shot. Reyes has been on a great team and they dont' want him anymore. Big difference

don137
04-11-2006, 06:21 PM
The Panthers drafted a guy last year with the intention of knowing Reyes will become an unrestricted after this season. The Panthers knew they had a ton of people to sign this off season and would not be able to afford Reyes. Its called smart planning on Marty Hurney's (GM) part. Reyes is a good lineman but not great lineman. The Panthers line was very cohesive last year so Reyes did hold his own.

ICE74129
04-11-2006, 06:26 PM
The Panthers drafted a guy last year with the intention of knowing Reyes will become an unrestricted after this season. The Panthers knew they had a ton of people to sign this off season and would not be able to afford Reyes. Its called smart planning on Marty Hurney's (GM) part. Reyes is a good lineman but not great lineman. The Panthers line was very cohesive last year so Reyes did hold his own.

Don, you and I know Reyes was the weak link on that line. Too many penalties and just wasn't good enough. They upgraded the line by letting him go, brining up the young kid and brining in the Center from Tenn.

Reyes is what he is...a slimmer Bennie anderson. Ie an average at best starter

ICE74129
04-11-2006, 06:30 PM
I'll put it like this, a Jeno James is the best comparison.

Mr. Pink
04-11-2006, 06:38 PM
Reyes was let walk by a damn good team. You say Fowler doesn't have Reyes talent and I say you are flat wrong. Fowler was on a Crap team from the begining and has had to go somewhere else to get his shot. Reyes has been on a great team and they dont' want him anymore. Big difference

A crap team as you put that drafted a Center in RD 1 the year after they drafted him in RD 3. A crap team that then tried to move him to guard where he was beat out by a 7th RD draft pick Paul Zukauskas. A crap team that then realized he was proverbial junk and traded him away for what they could get.

Then he goes to Minnesota, now he's suddenly "good" SO GOOD in fact the Vikes didn't resign him. A year after trading for him. Considering to you, he's good, explain all of the above to me in a logical sense of why you think he's good.

TedMock
04-11-2006, 06:40 PM
I don't know how credible Pat Yasinskas of the Charlotte Observer is as I don't live in North Carolina, but his line on Reyes at the end of the year was:

RG Tutan Reyes, 1 sack allowed, two penalties

If accurate, this isn't bad.

patmoran2006
04-11-2006, 06:43 PM
Ted, don't even bother..

ICE74129
04-11-2006, 06:48 PM
A crap team as you put that drafted a Center in RD 1 the year after they drafted him in RD 3. A crap team that then tried to move him to guard where he was beat out by a 7th RD draft pick Paul Zukauskas. A crap team that then realized he was proverbial junk and traded him away for what they could get.

Then he goes to Minnesota, now he's suddenly "good" SO GOOD in fact the Vikes didn't resign him. A year after trading for him. Considering to you, he's good, explain all of the above to me in a logical sense of why you think he's good.

Players develop FTY. Do they or do they not? Fowler really came on when he was allowed to be a starter for several games. And Yes they wanted him back but he wanted a chance to start. The Vikes have a former Probowler that they want to re insert Ie. not having to compete for the job, just re insert him. I can't blame fowler for wanting to try and start after the season he had in 05.

don137
04-11-2006, 06:48 PM
Don, you and I know Reyes was the weak link on that line. Too many penalties and just wasn't good enough. They upgraded the line by letting him go, brining up the young kid and brining in the Center from Tenn. Hartwig was brought in to replace Mitchel who was getting up there in years.

Reyes is what he is...a slimmer Bennie anderson. Ie an average at best starter
I would not dispute he was the weakest link of that line but the Panthers had a great line. These guys never talked when they went to the line of scrimmage because they were very cohesive and knew there assignments. Reyes is a good lineman but I would never call him great. He is definitely better than Anderson and a little better than Villarial. I would consider him an upgrade and he can play both guard spots but just because he played on a great line I wouldn't call him great by any stretch of the imagination. He sat out 2003 the Panthers Super Bowl year) and started 12 games in 2004. He was a full time starter last year. But like I said the Panthers drafted Mathis last year knowing after spending there money on Wahle they did not want to spend a lot more money at the guard position to resign Reyes.

ICE74129
04-11-2006, 06:49 PM
I don't know how credible Pat Yasinskas of the Charlotte Observer is as I don't live in North Carolina, but his line on Reyes at the end of the year was:

RG Tutan Reyes, 1 sack allowed, two penalties

If accurate, this isn't bad.

How good is Jerry Sullivan? There ya go. Here is where we are fact wise, Carolina is playing for NFC championship spots, superbowls, division titles etc. They let him walk without even thinking twice. They drafted a guy in the 3rd to replace him. Now maybe a change of scenery will help, often it does. But the facts are he was THE weakest link on the Panthers OL.

ICE74129
04-11-2006, 06:51 PM
I would not dispute he was the weakest link of that line but the Panthers had a great line. These guys never talked when they went to the line of scrimmage because they were very cohesive and knew there assignments. Reyes is a good lineman but I would never call him great. He is definitely better than Anderson and a little better than Villarial. I would consider him an upgrade and he can play both guard spots but just because he played on a great line I wouldn't call him great by any stretch of the imagination. He sat out 2003 the Panthers Super Bowl year) and started 12 games in 2004. He was a full time starter last year. But like I said the Panthers drafted Mathis last year knowing after spending there money on Wahle they did not want to spend a lot more money at the guard position to resign Reyes.

I said he was an upgrade over anderson. But he is far from the 'Damn we gotta sign that guy' catigory. But then again, sometimes when you move teams, change systems, it plays to your advantage and you do better.

Reyes is good, not great or they wouldn't have let him leave

patmoran2006
04-11-2006, 06:52 PM
How good is Jerry Sullivan? There ya go. Here is where we are fact wise, Carolina is playing for NFC championship spots, superbowls, division titles etc. They let him walk without even thinking twice. They drafted a guy in the 3rd to replace him. Now maybe a change of scenery will help, often it does. But the facts are he was THE weakest link on the Panthers OL.

Ok, MORT.

I dont think there's a single PERSON on this board (literally!) that takes anything that you say seriously.

Carolina budgeted their money towards gettting a WR to help Smith and KEMO to clog the middle.. They cant sign EVERYONE..

don137
04-11-2006, 06:53 PM
I know Reyes was not the most penalized OL last year for the Panthers. I have no idea how many Reyes had but Wharton was the drive killer on the OL with untimely penalties.

ICE74129
04-11-2006, 06:55 PM
Ok, MORT.

I dont think there's a single PERSON on this board (literally!) that takes anything that you say seriously.

Carolina budgeted their money towards gettting a WR to help Smith and KEMO to clog the middle.. They cant sign EVERYONE..

LMAO Well this is two teams now you have proven in your posts you don't know much about. Buffalo and Carolina. Unfortunately for you I follow both. They still have cap room, They will go OLB, RB and TE in the draft. That is the last of what they need to possibly go back to the superbowl.

That said, they didn't alocate their money for MeShawn. Free agency started before he was available. They are still thinking of bringing back Ricky Proehl if the price is right. They signed TWO DT's after cutting Bunkner and let thier Center go to aquire the kid from Tenn. They could have signed Reyes easilly IF they wanted to...they didn't.

don137
04-11-2006, 06:56 PM
I said he was an upgrade over anderson. But he is far from the 'Damn we gotta sign that guy' catigory. But then again, sometimes when you move teams, change systems, it plays to your advantage and you do better.

Reyes is good, not great or they wouldn't have let him leave

Even if he was great they just did not have the money to re-sign him. If they had the cash they would of re-signed Witherspoon. Like I said a team that is fiscally responsible can only spend so much money at the guard postion. They shot there wad last year signed Mike Wahle so they knew even if Reyes had a pro bowl year they would not sign him so Hurney drafted Mathis with the full intention of replacing Reyes.

ICE74129
04-11-2006, 06:57 PM
I know Reyes was not the most penalized OL last year for the Panthers. I have no idea how many Reyes had but Wharton was the drive killer on the OL with untimely penalties.

He was by far the weakest OLineman. IF they wanted him, they would have resigned him. They knew in advance they wern't bringing him back and it wasn't just because of money.

AGAIN, he is better than anderson. I will say if we sign him dont' expect greatness by any stretch. But expect an upgrade over fat Bennie

ublinkwescore
04-11-2006, 08:15 PM
Ok, MORT.

I'll give Ice a little credit - every now and then I do agree with some of his posts - but I don't want Winston Justice, or Vernon Davis (I can't remember if he was on the Davis Bandwagon as well or not).

Mr. Pink
04-12-2006, 01:09 AM
He was by far the weakest OLineman. IF they wanted him, they would have resigned him. They knew in advance they wern't bringing him back and it wasn't just because of money.

And the same very thing could be said about Fowler. In either Cleveland or Minnesota. But, you cannot admit that seeing it would tarnish your thinking that he's "good." I understand Ice, but not really.

ParanoidAndroid
04-12-2006, 01:54 AM
Reyes is a solid player. Right now, I'd say he's the best guard left in free agency. I remember him getting to the second level a few times on us. He isn't our savior, but he can come here and start. We should still draft a guard day one. This would definately make Anderson the odd man out...finally. I know thay planned on keeping Peters on the right side, but I say they still might move him. It would be silly not to get him some reps on the left to see how he does and I think he's going to do well. That could put either a rookie or Gibson on the right, which is a little scary, I guess. Considering Gandy did a respectable job at LT last year, they may leave him alone as well. Reyes is relatively young and has recently come into his own. If Reyes comes in our O-line looks better:

Gandy - Reyes - Fowler - Villarrial - Peters

Duke is going to give Fowler a run for his money and hopefully we have 2 rookies pushing Gandy and either guard spot right away, one in round 2 and one in round 3. I still have hope Geisinger will mature soon.

SquishDaFish
04-12-2006, 05:09 AM
Will you 2 babies grow up and pull your head out of each of your arses. GROW UP. People on this board want to read the threads not read you 2 playing with each other. Give each other a hand job and get over it. Im so sick of listening to this crap every good thread turns into a pissing match.

Mitchy moo
04-12-2006, 07:24 AM
Bring in Reyes!!!

:bullseye:

Bill Brasky
04-12-2006, 07:25 AM
Will you 2 babies grow up and pull your head out of each of your arses. GROW UP. People on this board want to read the threads not read you 2 playing with each other. Give each other a hand job and get over it. Im so sick of listening to this crap every good thread turns into a pissing match.

:cry:

hydro
04-12-2006, 07:45 AM

I agree with you 100%. If someone isn't acknowledged they are right, we see mulitiple posts back to back to cram it down our throats. Give it a rest. State your opinion and leave it at that. Just because someone doesn't agree doesn't mean you have to keep defending yourself to the end.

TedMock
04-12-2006, 07:51 AM

So, Pat Yasinskas is the worst sports writer in North Carolina? Jerry Sullivan is the worst, most unreliable, writer I've ever seen. Chris Brown on the other hand is very reliable. If compared to Brown, this guy's pretty good. I have no idea. I don't live there, and I don't read the Charlotte Observer.

I obviously don't see many Carolina games because I'm watching the Bills instead. Yes, I have Directv and the NFL package, but you can only really watch one game at a time. I flip to the other games, but it's impossible to get good reads on many players from just a handful of plays. I watch the Bills game in one time slot, and whatever's the best game in the other time slot.

From everything I hear, Reyes is pretty good. The weakest link on a great line is like being the lowest 'A' student. If he's an above average, smart player, we should try like hell to sign him. We need guards more than anything. The draft is deep, but Villarial is getting older on the other side, and our depth stinks. Reyes might be exactly the signing we need.

acehole
04-12-2006, 07:51 AM
Wells would be a good pick up.Change of pace 3rd down guy.

It seems Willis gets winded often...and if we plan to run like I think we need a guy that can carrie the load also.

LifetimeBillsFan
04-12-2006, 08:53 AM
While I'm not a Panthers fan and haven't had a chance to see a lot of their games, I have had reason to pay some attention to the performance and health of the Panthers' running attack and offensive line the last two seasons--which I did by listening to or reading what John Fox said in his press conferences (as posted on the Panthers' website). And, to a certain extent, I can confirm that some what ICE has said here is true, although I would differ with him on some other points.

Two years ago (2004), Reyes was so bad that Fox was reluctant to play him, even though they had injuries to the offensive line, and mentioned Reyes by name more than once when talking critically about players who needed to play better. From what Fox said about him over the course of that season, it seemed to me that Reyes certainly was the Panthers' worst offensive lineman that year. And, I believe that this is what prompted the Panthers to draft his replacement in last year's draft.

From Fox's comments about the offensive line prior to the beginning of this past season, I definitely got the impression that Reyes started out in Fox's doghouse. After the first couple of games, though, Fox's attitude seemed to change and, after one game, I recall him singling out Reyes, among the offensive linemen, for praise in his post-game comments. I can also confirm Don's comment about Wharton--at least in the comments that I read, Fox was more critical of Wharton than Reyes this past season. So, obviously, Reyes must have improved his play over the previous season and been playing much better.

How much better? Well, that's hard to say without having watched him play more than a couple of times. What I can say to his credit is that he seemed to pass-block well in the Panthers' games that I saw. What I can say on the negative side is that the Panthers' running game was not that good for much of the season. While it took off at the end of the season and in the playoffs, when DeShaun Foster replaced Steven Davis as the featured back, for much of the season they had a very hard time running the ball between the tackles and, at one point, had the lowest average per carry in the NFL. How much Reyes had to do with that, I can't say: Davis' lack of outside speed and the fact that defenses were stacking up to stop the Carolina running game were by far the major factors.

The impression that I got was that Reyes was a guy that Carolina had a lot of hopes for who simply didn't develop as fast as they thought that he should and that they were disappointed with, but who began to finally come on some last season and finally began to play the way that they expected him to play at the end of the season. Based on that, I have some concerns about Reyes--whether he will continue to improve, whether he can play more consistently, etc.--but feel that he would be an improvement over Bennie Anderson, whose play deteriorated off the bottom of the chart over the course of last season.

If Reyes did, indeed, turn the corner last season and continues to improve, I think that he could give the Bills solid play at the guard position, which would be a definite improvement over what the Bills got out of any of the guards last season. The question is whether Reyes will continue to improve or will get lazy and let his game go after being signed. The fact that that might even be raised as a possibility should indicate that signing him could be a bit of a risk. But, IMHO, given the way that B.Anderson played for the Bills last year, it would be a risk worth taking so long as Reyes doesn't cost too much.

Because he has the most potential and is the best guard still available in free agency, I would say that Reyes probably should be a priority signing for the Bills at this point if they can get him at a reasonable price. But, I would not have any illusions about the Bills getting a reasonable facsimile of S.Hutchinson if they sign Reyes either: Reyes is a guy who could continue to develop into a very solid starting guard or could let his game deteriorate and become a lighter version of B.Anderson. If the Bills sign Reyes I would be cautiously pleased and optimistic about that being a positive addition to their offensive line.

bigbub2352
04-12-2006, 08:58 AM
I like Reyes over Bennie and Chris one sucks the other is always hurt anything is better than that, Last time i checked Carolina can run the ball good enough for me Wells would be an excellent backup to Willis produces when given chance in Houston they dont want him back because Gentleman they've got Bush!

ICE74129
04-12-2006, 08:59 AM
LBF, Great posts as usual. On Reyes, there are big questions. He spent a ton of time on the ground last year which is NOT where you want your linemen. Now as you said, maybe he at the end turned the corner. Maybe with a change of scenery he does well. I am more than willing to say he is an upgrade over fat Bennie.

I hope the contract is structured like the rest of the FA's have been IF we sign him. That way if he does well, he gets paid, if not we can cut him for nothing.

TedMock
04-12-2006, 09:55 AM
Here's the snap.stats info on him.
http://snap.stats.com/stats/nflinfo/playerstats.asp?id=5160

In 2004 he allowed 3.5 sacks in 12 starts. In 2005 he allowed 1 sack in 16 starts. It looks like he didn't play in 2002 or 2003. I'm not sure what the deal is there, but I'll look it up.

ublinkwescore
04-12-2006, 09:58 AM
Ahem... IGNORE

alohabillsfan
04-12-2006, 10:01 AM
Now that I will agree with.

Since Fox arived you haven't seen them make bad personel moves. Bunkner is still out there, so is Reyes, Davis and a couple others. Who knows though.

"BREAKING NEWS"

ICE
AGREES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alohabillsfan
04-12-2006, 10:09 AM
Plenty. How many times have you spent saturdays in the Bills locker room? I bet money I got you on that one.

My point is you are clamoring for a lineman that a GOOD team, isn't willing to bother with and willing to replace with a 3rd round draft pick from last year.

MORE BREAKING NEWS!!!!

ICE IS A JANITOR FOR THE BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jmb1099
04-12-2006, 10:27 AM
An upgrade is an upgrade period...sign Reyes.

ICE74129
04-12-2006, 10:34 AM
MORE BREAKING NEWS!!!!

ICE IS A JANITOR FOR THE BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No thanks, I am smarter than that

Mudflap1
04-12-2006, 11:58 AM
ICE, how have you seen every Vikings game AND every Panthers game? They are both 1pm kickoff teams...

It's okay to admit you are wrong a few times you know...

Jon

dplus47
04-12-2006, 12:02 PM

one aspect of the board i have noticed lately is that there are certain posters who are always right about everything, whether you are discussing football, open-heart surgery, flying small airplanes, microbiology, or how to remove gum from a child's hair. a normal guy can feel pretty inadequate next to such a renaissance man...

Mudflap1
04-12-2006, 12:07 PM
Bottom line: if the guy is better than what we've got, give him the "Marv boiler plate special" -- low first year salary with nominal signing bonus, then if he turns out okay and stays on the team, he gets rewarded in future years.

Jon