PDA

View Full Version : Objective look at Bills Offseason

Mr. Pink
04-11-2006, 04:44 PM
Lets judge the offseason moves...I feel left out on being bashed for an opinion because I don't take the "rose petaled glasses" look at this team and look at it objectively.

Fire Td-PLUS

Mularkey walk away from 1 of 32 jobs in the NFL, who had COMPLETE backing by this regime-NEGATIVE. I don't think negative exactly hits it properly. Dude walked away from one of only thirty two jobs in the world, what does that tell you?

Robert Royal signed....Positive, he can block. Jurys' out on if he can catch consistently but he's really only brought here to block. And considering some of you say that Royal fixes the O-line, then drafting Vernon Davis should not be any problem. But if you equate the signing of a blocking TE to fixing the o-line then you're comparing put a band-aid on a 3 inch open gash.

Andre' Davis-Speedster, had lots of promise, can't stay healthy. Former Botch Davis Browns second round pick who has good hands, decent route running ability and blazing speed. Has battled injuries entire career, was traded out of Cleveland because he fell down the depth chart at WR so far that his only real role on the team was KR. Lost those duties to an undrafted rookie QB who was converted to WR/KR. Think about that for a second before you decree this guy as "good." He lost his job to an undrafted rookie free agent QB.

Craig Nall-Perennial bench warmer who "we" thought was good enough to bring in and enter an open competition at QB. But Green Bay thought so highly of this guy they brought in Tim Couch to try and be Favres' predecessor and then drafted Aaron Rodgers. How he excites any of us I don't know.

Larry Triplett-Only as good as the system around him, he's now asked to be a star player and only good contributor at DT. He played well in a rotation in Indy but here will be part of no rotation, or if he is, we get to see the same scrubs on the field we saw last year get pushed around. Good signing if there are complimentary pieces, alone it's nothing to be excited about. Now this could change if the Bills were to draft Ngata or Bunkley or bring in a FA DT.

Matt Bowen-Special teams ace. Serviceable Safety. Didn't we already have one of these in Coy Wire? This signing makes absolutely zero sense. Yes, Ice, I know, he's slated to be the "starter." Well look at his competition right now on the roster then look at his paycheck. Of course he's the starter, by default, not by his dominance.

Peerless Price-Was good, 4 years ago. He ran into the problem of Michael Vick and his non-trust and constantly juggling of OCs and offensive schemes. Or you can just flat out say that he never was number 1 material. A good signing if he reverts back to 2001 form, roster fodder if he stays where he is at now. We'll know more on this one by mid-season. I think he's number 2 on the depth chart by default and experience.

Melvin Fowler-Another Botch Davis classic pick. He was good at these on draft day. Fowler was drafted in round 3 when he was projected to be a 4. He was supposed to take over for Dave Wohlbaugh at Center, that never panned out because apparently the front office in Cleveland was so HIGH on this guy, they drafted Jeff Faine the next year in Rd1. Fowler then tried to become a guard, he was unable to beat out a 7th round pick at G in Paul Zukausas. He was then depth and then traded out of Cleveland. He went to Minnesota, played ok while Matt Birk was hurt. Track record says he's a bust, but people around here spin his stint in Minnesota claiming he's the next Mike Webster.

Aaron Gibson-Big time talent, Bigger Gut. The guy literally ate his way out of the league. Then said if he wasn't starting to chicago he wasn't signing. He didn't sign, sat the year out. If this serves as a wakeup call to him, this BY far is our best signing of the offseason. He could start at tackle for the next 5-7 years. If he decides that the OCB-old country buffet is more fun, well then we took a flyer on a guy who didn't pan out. No big deal.

Josh Reed-words don't even begin to describe the idiocy of bringing him back. Combine Reed, Price, Aiken and Davis being signed you have now pushed last years 2nd round pick to 5th on the depth chart. Excellent! I dunno about you, but I'd rather have a WR that could catch the ball as opposed to one that blocks.

Aiken-good resigning, best special teams player outside of Moorman on the roster.

Stamer, Haggan, German-who cares...roster fillers and depth.

Ryan Denney-another excellent resigning, ok I was being extremely sarcastic. What has this schmuck done to deserve being in the NFL anymore let alone in a Bills jersey?

Going after UFAs Wells and Idonijie was a smart choice but everyone knew with what we offered them, the contracts would be matched, so good that we tried but bad that we didn't offer them enough.

Trading Moulds for anything is better than I thought they'd get, so I'll give Marv credit. Problem is that 5.5 million in cap relief woulda served the team better at the start of free agency and not when they got it.

I won't even comment on the last 4 days.

All in all, so far it's been a very disappointing offseason. We're a team with just as many if not more holes this year than last. We haven't really upgraded anywhere "talent-wise." Outside of Royals, he's the only real upgrade I see on this team.

Now for players who would have upgraded this team, and yes it WOULD have made the team spend more money and not be sitting approx 17 million under the cap right now. Odd I know.

Kevin Mawae at C....experience, good, could have tutored Preston.

Fabini at tackle....same as above except could have tutored Peters.

Seeing Nate won't sign his tender, trade him...sign Law.

Arrington is still available and is an upgrade over Posey or Crowell. Not too
mention who knows what Takeos' health will be at this year.

Brees, Culpepper, Griese, Kerry Collins-pick a winner, all better than the 2 we had and the one we signed.

Az Zahir Hakim woulda fit right in with the speedy smurf 4some at Wide. That was a joke.

Tank Williams, Marlon McCree both better than Bowen and starting material not just special team aces.

As you see only Law, Arrington and the QBs woulda cost a lot of money to bring in, ALL would have immensely improved this product on the field.

I'm done now.

ICE74129
04-11-2006, 04:52 PM
Well hell pack up the team now, why bother. You have rated us a bust. Just fold up ralph, we are going 0-16 in 06!

Mr. Pink
04-11-2006, 04:53 PM
BTW Ice, I have them pegged for 4-12.

:rofl:

OpIv37
04-11-2006, 04:54 PM
I posted a very similar assessement. Expect a barrage of responses from homers and people who say that you don't know what you're talking about cuz you're not an NFL GM.

Bill Brasky
04-11-2006, 04:56 PM
ICE, are you blind, or do you have a mission to just hate on everyone with a differing opinion than yours?

Like it or not, this guy has basically spelled out exactly what the deal is.

This is a 3-4 win team at best. I can't wait until I swim in my own sea of correctness!

ICE74129
Hell no 0-16. I mean why not with your world of experience as a GM/ NFL Scout. Sh@! Why even bother having Marv, Tom, John Guy, our scouts, millions of dollars spent on scouting draft picks....the FANS are the ones that know.

Damn man, contact old ralph and show him he can keep the team here by firing all of those guys that apperantly think the guys you listed are worth a s@!# and just read this message board.

patmoran2006
The battle for training camp roster spots is going to be better than watching the team on the field this year.. You could take that as a positive.

ICE74129
04-11-2006, 04:57 PM
ICE, are you just blind, or do you have a mission to just hate on everyone with a differing opinion than yours?

Like it or not, this guy has basically spelled out exactly what the deal is.

No JF you guys just go show marv how much smarter you are than the guys getting paid to do the job. I'm sure he will be very happy to know fans are more educated and can do a better job...and for FREE no less.

Bill Brasky
04-11-2006, 04:58 PM
Hell no 0-16. I mean why not with your world of experience as a GM/ NFL Scout. Sh@! Why even bother having Marv, Tom, John Guy, our scouts, millions of dollars spent on scouting draft picks....the FANS are the ones that know.

Damn man, contact old ralph and show him he can keep the team here by firing all of those guys that apperantly think the guys you listed are worth a s@!# and just read this message board.

The funniest part is you are bashing all of us, calling us idiots because we aren't GM's/Scouts...

I don't see you working in the front office, so apparently you are lumped in with the rest of us ******s.

ICE74129
04-11-2006, 04:59 PM
Since you guys think we suck so much, why are you posting here? Go root for miami or someone else willing to shell out the big bucks. Hell FTY why ARE you posting here, you're a browns fan anyway. Surely you are happy at the money they are slinging around. Why waste your time here?

patmoran2006
didnt you just spend a WEEK non-stop bashing Ralph and the Bills need to sell now, etc etc.

A real owner would never hire Levy as a 80 year old GM or a recycled coach like Jauron.. and retain a proven LOSER in this organization in Modrak, and let me re-state the word "proven". His DNA is just over the crap draft picks and free agent signings like TD's was.

SInce you love this FO so much, u should worship ralph, not hate him.

ICE74129
didnt you just spend a WEEK non-stop bashing Ralph and the Bills need to sell now, etc etc.

A real owner would never hire Levy as a 80 year old GM or a recycled coach like Jauron.. and retain a proven LOSER in this organization in Modrak, and let me re-state the word "proven". His DNA is just over the crap draft picks and free agent signings like TD's was.

SInce you love this FO so much, u should worship ralph, not hate him.

Hey Pat, let ralph know you are the man for the job. Stop posting here wasting your time.

patmoran2006
04-11-2006, 05:00 PM
No JF you guys just go show marv how much smarter you are than the guys getting paid to do the job. I'm sure he will be very happy to know fans are more educated and can do a better job...and for FREE no less.

LOL.. Are you serious???

Well good thing your not a GM, you'd sign someone and cut him 3 days later the way you change your mind.

ICE74129
The funniest part is you are bashing all of us, calling us idiots because we aren't GM's/Scouts...

I don't see you working in the front office, so apparently you are lumped in with the rest of us ******s.

You got part of that comment right

Bill Brasky
ICE you were *****ing non stop about Ralph all last week... now you're on us for bashing the front office.

Make up your mind bro.

Just because we realize the team we love is going to suck doesn't make us any less a fan.

ICE74129
04-11-2006, 05:01 PM
LOL.. Are you serious???

Well good thing your not a GM, you'd sign someone and cut him 3 days later the way you change your mind.

You would hate me as a GM. The lines would have been addressed already instead of wasting time tradeing for or drafting first round QB's, RB's with busted knees, Midget WR's in the 2nd round that can't take hits from 150lb DB's etc. And there would be VERY few 'name' players signed.

camelcowboy
04-11-2006, 05:02 PM
Can be considered a little negative, but i can't argue too much with you. I just see alot of if's on the roster. If he plays to his potential, if he can stop eating, if he can catch a ball, if he can stay healthy, I just think we'll probally hit a couple of theses ifs but, we have far to many to be a serious contender this year. Were rebuilding, thats all.

ICE74129
04-11-2006, 05:02 PM
ICE you were *****ing non stop about Ralph all last week... now you're on us for bashing the front office.

Make up your mind bro.

Just because we realize the team we love is going to suck doesn't make us any less a fan.

The team is shaping up how I expected it to. Guys under 30 with thier careers in front of them or needed a change of scenery to get going. No big names signed. Mid tier/ Young FA's and Draft well.

Bill Brasky
04-11-2006, 05:03 PM
Midget WR's in the 2nd round that can't take hits from 150lb DB's etc.

And you think guys like Reed/Davis/Price are any different?

Yet, you've condoned their signings.

You're just digging yourself deeper bro.

patmoran2006
04-11-2006, 05:04 PM
You would hate me as a GM. The lines would have been addressed already instead of wasting time tradeing for or drafting first round QB's, RB's with busted knees, Midget WR's in the 2nd round that can't take hits from 150lb DB's etc. And there would be VERY few 'name' players signed.

well since you apparently already know everything and are GM material, exactly WHAT would you do to have "addresed the lines already".. I want NAMES.. my 3 year old son can say "fix the lines".. And VERY few name players as well.

OpIv37
04-11-2006, 05:07 PM
Since you guys think we suck so much, why are you posting here? Go root for miami or someone else willing to shell out the big bucks. Hell FTY why ARE you posting here, you're a browns fan anyway. Surely you are happy at the money they are slinging around. Why waste your time here?

because we stand by our team, even when they suck. The difference is we have the intelligence to admit it, rather than blindly think the Bills are the best in the NFL despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

notice how it's not just a handful of people here who have been hard on the team this off-season. It's most of the local and national sports media as well, meaning people who follow and analyze sports for a living. Do they have the proper credentials to criticize?

OpIv37
04-11-2006, 05:09 PM
well since you apparently already know everything and are GM material, exactly WHAT would you do to have "addresed the lines already".. I want NAMES.. my 3 year old son can say "fix the lines".. And VERY few name players as well.

dumping Teague and MW is addition by subtraction- it's worth AT LEAST three wins right there. you're obviously not GM material if you didn't know that.

/sarcasm.

camelcowboy
04-11-2006, 05:11 PM

I don't agree with that, Its a discussion board. If everything is Positive, then what would we talk about, if everything is completely negative then its not funny to talk either. A opinion is a sign that a fan cares. Not whether the opinion is positive or negative. We call overly positive fan's homers, we call negative fans non fans. We are all fans, somedays are better then others.

patmoran2006
04-11-2006, 05:11 PM
There was NO way to fix the lines without spending the cash.. With this crop of FA's this year, you either paid the big bucks for a Bentley, Shaffer, Mawae, Runyan or even Backus.... Or you draft the future.. and he made it quite clear he'd have already addressed the lines.. I want to see exactly HOW..

And for the DL, dont say Pickett, you bashed him yesterday already.

patmoran2006
04-11-2006, 05:17 PM
The team is shaping up how I expected it to. Guys under 30 with thier careers in front of them or needed a change of scenery to get going. No big names signed. Mid tier/ Young FA's and Draft well.

is that a fact?
Want me to go dig up some ICE QUOTES from days before FA started, and then you can repeat that statement again? Get real.

I am now convinced you have tried EVERY angle imaginable to try and get people to like you on here.. Pre-FA when we had "all this money" you were on board just like everbody else, then you changed your mind.. Then for WEEKS everytime someone posted a V Davis or M Huff or ANY thread, you're three word answer was "fix the lines".. then its Draft Winston Justice.. Now its Davis again, because we signed Gibson? LOL< what is it?!?!?

You led the charge in "whining" about Wilson and I'd only be happy to prove it to you.. But now cause YOU back off we're all suposed to be happy with this team again?

EVERYBODY has their opinion.. I just read earlier today that you said Bloom is another Don Beebe with better return skills... Its OK for YOU to say what YOU want though?

And as for "Fun" joining a Browns board..
You like the Panthers and you spent the past 5 days crying about Wilson and the team moving.. SO why dont YOU go join the Panthers board if you cant handle a non homer post.

FlyingDutchman
04-11-2006, 05:19 PM
Good post Fun. One conclusion I came to when reading your post, is that IMO Marv is bringing in players with talent who have something to prove. They have the ability but for one reason or another have not reached their full potential. These guys should be hungry and ready to play. Hopefully they're "character guys" like Marv likes. He also seems to have gotten ridden of the cocky, overpaid veterans who may have caused problems among the team.

patmoran2006
04-11-2006, 05:23 PM
Good post Fun. One conclusion I came to when reading your post, is that IMO Marv is bringing in players with talent who have something to prove. They have the ability but for one reason or another have not reached their full potential. These guys should be hungry and ready to play. Hopefully they're "character guys" like Marv likes. He also seems to have gotten ridden of the cocky, overpaid veterans who may have caused problems among the team.

Good point.. I honestly think its the combination of what you said and and Wilson not willing to throw out millions in signing bonuses, seriously.

Given the CIRCUMSTANCES with marv, he's doing the best he can.